As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] This thread under questioning by child protection services. Check the new one.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I have a 25% off coupon burning a hole into my inbox (that expires in less than 3 hours) and Diablo is starting to lose its hold on me.

How is the game as a solo player? I don't really like grouping with random individuals (my bad random MMO experiences have, unfortunately, far outweighed the good) and my erratic work schedule would probably prevent me from getting in consistent play time with guildies (if I were accepted into The WANG). Also I'm kinda jumping in late so I imagine that I won't be able to find people on the same content as I as easily as I might have at launch.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    If you're going to solo, you should probably be a dps class - lancer and the healers tend to be slow going. You can use the instance finder for dungeon quests when you get to them although as a dps the queue time can be a little long whereas a lancer gets instant queues.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I have a 25% off coupon burning a hole into my inbox (that expires in less than 3 hours) and Diablo is starting to lose its hold on me.

How is the game as a solo player? I don't really like grouping with random individuals (my bad random MMO experiences have, unfortunately, far outweighed the good) and my erratic work schedule would probably prevent me from getting in consistent play time with guildies (if I were accepted into The WANG). Also I'm kinda jumping in late so I imagine that I won't be able to find people on the same content as I as easily as I might have at launch.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. Level ranges in the guild are pretty broad even now and we seem to pick up new forum members curious about the game as well as people leveling alts every couple of days it seems.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Beezel wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about it to much. Level ranges in the guild are pretty broad even now and we seem to pick up new forum members curious about the game as well as people leveling alts every couple of days it seems.

Yeah, this is definitely true of the guild itself (especially me personally, I keep all sorts of random hours and have all sorts of lower-level characters), and it always seems like all the level ranges on the server are full of players as well, looking for groups for BAMs and dungeons. And they're not usually that terrible to group with! Really! I've almost never had anybody from our server make me mad like in other games! (Although I would recommend turning off the LFG channel because the quality of people in it is probably kind of bad right now, lots of stupid people that realized it's a global channel and don't use it for LFG at all. That and probably very early area chat is kind of dumb, before people reach the level where they're trying to get groups for dungeons or BAMs, when people still don't know much about the game and are just trolling. Chat gets much better after you leave the Lumbertown region.) Edit: Okay, I'll amend that a bit... the only people I remember I've grouped with on our server that are jerks are the guys from the guild Carried, but that's something you probably could've guessed from the idea behind their name. I feel it reflects their attitude toward other players pretty well.

But yep, if you want to solo content you can totally do that! You don't actually have to do dungeons as you level if you don't want to, though dungeons are definitely a lot of fun. Anyway, regarding soloing, questing is questing... but you can also solo BAMs if you'd rather not group with people to do them! It'll take you practice, but it's definitely doable. Lancers, Mystics, and Priests (well, Priests less so from what I've seen) do solo more slowly, but usually with less risk. Once you get good at watching for the monster's tells and dodging them, though, you can definitely take them on solo with any class, I think. It's going to be hard at first, but once you get it down you'll feel like an incredible monster-destroying god (but you can feel like that within a group, too, since the feeling of dodging everything a monster does in this game is amazing). If you don't feel like taking on BAMs on your own, and don't want to group up for them, you're not ever forced to kill them to level... but you get good XP from killing them and GREAT XP from turning in the quests for killing them. Plus they and dungeons are probably the most challenging, fun content in the game, so you know. You'd really be missing out. The regular quests aren't anything super-special, I admit. They're still fun to do because the combat is engaging, but there's not much variety, so if you are going to be soloing I think you really should be killing BAMs or it might get a bit boring for you.

Essee on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Haven't touched this in a while -- about a week or so. Those changes to Warriors and Lancers... um. So Warriors are getting weaker Lancer tank abilities, and Lancers are getting Slayer Knockdowns and Warrior mobility?

Still thinking about dropping my Slayer in lieu of another Melee type -- Lancer, perhaps. At what point can a Lancer enter the LFG system and start doing dungeons instead of open world questing/grinding?

• Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Excision wrote: »
    Also, Elin look absolutely fucking stupid.

Fixed. :P

Can I kill you now? Or do you prefer i wait? :3

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    dungeon finder is 20

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Haven't touched this in a while -- about a week or so. Those changes to Warriors and Lancers... um. So Warriors are getting weaker Lancer tank abilities, and Lancers are getting Slayer Knockdowns and Warrior mobility?
    If you think a jump back is Warrior mobility, or even Slayer mobility, you're in for a huge disappointment when you pick up a Lancer.

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Yeah it's not the same thing at all. More importantly the slayer/warrior dodges and jumps turns them invulnerable while the Lancer jump won't. The Lancer jump will mostly be a quality of life ability and it won't massively improve mobility. However, between the jump-knockdown and jumpback, Lancers defintiely get more mobility options now than before

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Aye, up from "none". ;-)

• Options
    edited June 2012
    [edit] The heck? You can't delete (double) posts any more? How silly...

Glal on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    I could see a few situations where the backstep would be nice. Some of the "triple-smash" abilities certain bosses have actually push me out of the way on the first two swings and I have like .3 secs to slightly turn to the left and re-guard to avoid getting hit by the 3rd one. Otherwise it hits me every time if I just guard the entire time.

• Options
    Seems like something that can be used for clutch repositioning. If it works like other backstep abilities that means it works opposite of where the camera is facing. A quick 90 degree turn before activating it works as a handy side step.

• Options
    The situation I see it used for is "there's the boss in front and some stupid minion is poking your back". You can't afford to drop block or turn around and the minion might just knock you on your ass and get you killed. Quick hop back and you're now blocking both from the front.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    It is too bad they didn't implement it as a jump to the left, then a step to the right.
    slightly sad that no one liked or noticed the rocky horror joke

I have a warrior and sorc over on Dragonfall but have not asked for guild space yet. Occasionally I remember to praise the guild. Have a warrior up to 39 on Jagged Coast. Some mobs give me a hard time, but overall, it is fast paced and fun. Guild I am in over there has an overabundance of healers and going from queue waits, so do all four of the pvp servers. Means I spend a little time grinding reputation with the 60 mystic and then go jump on an alt.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    The situation I see it used for is "there's the boss in front and some stupid minion is poking your back". You can't afford to drop block or turn around and the minion might just knock you on your ass and get you killed. Quick hop back and you're now blocking both from the front.

This is how I plan to use it. It's difficult to get trash packs all facing the front of you without any mobility abilities. Always wind up with shit hitting you in the back. It will be somewhat less useful against bosses, but it will still have some use there in some situations.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I've gotten a lancer up to 28 and every time I fight bams in a group so far I feel like an idiot. Having issues between rarely having a healer in the group and trying to maintain agro while blocking everything. Need more practice.

Haven't run either of the dungeons available at this level yet.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Groups of BAMs or fighting a BAM in a group?
    The latter is pretty easy, just use your taunt whenever it's up and the BAM just finished a big attack (so you don't get hit while doing it), poke him with your auto to keep your mana up, use your self-heal if needed and mana permits. There, that's your job in the group done. If you have mana to spare then feel free to use actual abilities, but you're not really there for the damage.

Groups of BAMs are more difficult, you're pretty much stun-locked blocking and rely on your group and healer to stay alive.

Glal on
  • Options
    Groups were slim yesterday and I ended up fighting kumas and naga in a group of 3 lancers and a sorcerer.

It was slow. So slow. And the lancers were so safe. But that poor sorcerer. He really couldn't figure out how to deal with the nagas big jumping charge attack and he kept positioning himself to eat it every time. Nothing the lancers could do to save his poor ass and he died over and over again.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Groups of BAMs or fighting a BAM in a group?
    The latter is pretty easy, just use your taunt whenever it's up and the BAM just finished a big attack (so you don't get hit while doing it), poke him with your auto to keep your mana up, use your self-heal if needed and mana permits. There, that's your job in the group done. If you have mana to spare then feel free to use actual abilities, but you're not really there for the damage.

Groups of BAMs are more difficult, you're pretty much stun-locked blocking and rely on your group and healer to stay alive.

Just single BAMs usually, unless things go pear-shaped. I guess the problem then is that I'm trying to contribute too much on the poking things to death.

• Options
    Use your leash and shield bash to occasionally stun the BAM. What they said for the shout. Have the Sorc stand to angled off the hindquarters to avoid the side leap and tail whip.

On stunning, if the BAM is starting a special skill, they usually won't land, so get them right at the indicator or wait until it has completed.

Was on my 31 Lancer last night trying to hold basilisk attention with two warriors in the party, one level 33 and the other level 36. That was tough. I have the glyph to gain 100% aggro with shield counter ( whatever the skill is after a successful block?), but for some reason that move returns me to standing without block up and block won't trigger for a couple seconds after.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Use your leash and shield bash to occasionally stun the BAM. What they said for the shout. Have the Sorc stand to angled off the hindquarters to avoid the side leap and tail whip.

That's really all he needed to do. Yeah, if the lancers had coordinated our stuns we might have been able to prevent the naga from charging at all. But really, the sorc just needed to not stand right in the spot he was going to get run over. Particularly after the first time he got trampled, he should have stopped doing that.

-edit-

And you don't have leash when you do lumbering troubles/naga etc.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I spend my leash sometimes just for the stun. Think at 31 I am glyphed for extra mana and threat on default hit, extra aggro on shield counter, and CD reduction on the self heal. Don't remember where the last four points are, maybe on leash cool down.

Yeah, leash comes at 28. Great for SM.

grouch993 on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Groups were slim yesterday and I ended up fighting kumas and naga in a group of 3 lancers and a sorcerer.

It was slow. So slow. And the lancers were so safe. But that poor sorcerer. He really couldn't figure out how to deal with the nagas big jumping charge attack and he kept positioning himself to eat it every time. Nothing the lancers could do to save his poor ass and he died over and over again.
    Hehe, the group I had for doing those on my Sorc was 1 Berzerker, 1 Archer, and 3 Sorcs.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Just did my first dungeon, SM. It went very well and leash was a great help yeah.

Edit: I did the kumas and nagas with myself (lancer), an archer, a warrior, and a sorcerer. Bleh.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    Ran the Kumas and Nagas with a Warrior/Slayer mix, with a Lancer/Berserker mix, and with Mystic/Archer. Plus the named Naga guy. Some of the mixtures were more exciting than others.

• Options
    Picked up the 100% agro on shield counter glyph. We'll see how that works out.

• Options
  • Options
    Qanamil wrote: »

It's a good glyph. The innate threat on shield counter is very high. I've heard some people say they don't need to shout often when using this glyph.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    @Radiation brings us a character named Cathiren.
    Deleted that character...for some ridiculous reason.
    Have a 26 priest and checking out a few of the other classes. Still unsure as to what class I want to settle on, and dont want to fill up the guild with an army of alts.
    So, I purchased the game a while ago. Gave it a shot and didn't like it at first for whatever reason. Then I was torn because Star Wars...
    But holy shit this game is pretty damn fun.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    Just got to 20 on my Slayer and got the stun kick which is sick. I keep flip-flopping between playing with mouse/kb and gamepad.

Gamepad is cool but it feels too clunky compared to the standard set up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    BTW, I don't think we'd be able to return the favor, but if anyone felt like praising Bloodmoon Chosen tonight AFTER 9PM EST, we'd appreciate it.

Want to hit the ground running with those policy points. :)

• Options
    TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    But we are so close to fifth place, so so so very close.

That being said, gonna do whatever Monty says. I've little actual idea how many policy points it takes to run the shops and such, and thinking for myself is hard.

@Destian I feel like your avatar is constantly screaming everything you post.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    You can see some of the policy point costs in this picture:

policy.jpg

I did find a post on the european forums that gave point costs for the vanarch options. Then convert one praise point to five policy points and you can see what you have. There were supposed to be other methods to generate policy points, like guild quests or something.

Here, but the points listed for costs don't seem to match that picture.

grouch993 on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I did all the frost reach bams with a party of 3 sorcs and a priest

that was pretty crazy

• Options
    I don't think anyone will miss trade brokers, but not having merchants would suck ass. Not having trainers in the <30 areas would also suck pretty bad.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    why is that even something vanarchs can take away?

that's retarded

• Options
    why is that even something vanarchs can take away?

that's retarded

Imagine nub island without skill trainers.

That should be good for some lulz.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

It's a good glyph. The innate threat on shield counter is very high. I've heard some people say they don't need to shout often when using this glyph.

Glyphed out for shield counter damage+threat, debilitate timer, leash, a few others.

I tried extra MP and threat on standard attack and it didn't seem to do much.

Between leash/shield counter/shield bash/shield barrage and some MP regen crystals/enchants I rarely if ever bother to auto attack. I really only use shout as a means of instantly grabbing aggro when the mob decides to try to wander. Pre-35ish I had to do a rolling run of challenging shout, but after that I think it's much better to put it in reserve to grab aggro back if/when you do lose it. Aggro seems too mercurial at times to really blow it on every cooldown and hope you can outstack other people.

Of course you run into the problem of bosses getting stunned/knocked down a lot so you never get a chance to counter. (Which is where the majority of my aggro/damage comes from.) so the boss becomes far more difficult to hold.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Today I pushed buttan on @Qanamil's character named Collodion.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
This discussion has been closed.