As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mr. Rogers' Neighbor[chat]

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    So chat, my dad seems not to care about his grandson and it really hurts but I don't know how to bring this up to him

this fucking sucks.
    how old is the grandson? Some people just aren't into babies. Kids are a lot more interesting once they can talk.
    My youngin is 2 and a half, I mean he doesn't even ask about him or anything really. Hell he barley says 2 words to my fiancee.

When Tristan was born we ended up getting 2 car seats so we gave one to my dad and asked that be goes and gets it checked out by the police when he gets it in so we know it done right because his car had weird seats. He just put in in the trunk and after 2 months game it back he didn't even try to put it in.
    I know I'm this way. I have a couple of second cousins, and I basically didn't want anything to do with them until they could read.

I mean, it's a dick thing to do that to your grandkids, but you should keep trying.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Get the dogs settled than the neurotic one who I had out by herself starts randomly barking. This sets off the 5 month year old puppy and thus another 20 minutes spent getting them calm and ready for bed. Along with the puppy running around like a mad women for 10 minutes.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    so i got snow crash for my kindle

i find it utterly unreadable

i am kind of physically repulsed by the prose

I was trying to track down some of Stephenson's work today but it was all for the ipad. Reading the wiki entries on his books makes me think it's not my scene but one of his historical books might be interesting.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    So I just found out that not only is the awesome 2D physics system that they used in Crayon Physics (Box2D) completely free and open source, it has also been ported to actionscript 3 for use in Flash.

Gonna make me a physics-based flash platformer

Winky, it's really really hard. You have to understand that for it to work, all your character movement has to be physics engine based and it's a goddamned nightmare to do and animate and get stable and not infuriating. I tried and gave up.

This is bad news but I suspected it might be more difficult than it seemed.

I was hoping that character animation wouldn't be too much of a problem if I just basically stuck my character in a box and moved the box around.

You have to decide if the box can tip over of not. If not, that constraint is gonna look off and produce big time physics glitches. If you decide it can, then you and going to drive the player insane as they jump, nick a ledge and go tumbling end over end.

You have to decide if you are going to allow air control during jumps. If you don't, your game will play like a pile of bricks. If you do, you now have the player allowed to apply sideways forces in the air, which leads to all manner of things like sticking to walls with friction produced by the air control force. Great if you want that mechanic, a pain in the ass if you don't.

What about when your player jumps up and bumps their head? Most platformers have a kind of sliding thing that keeps action moving. Your game will grind to a halt.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    vh how would you describe someone who is consistently several seconds too late to play a video game

is this a once misfortune twice carelessness thing

I think it's a "go fuck yourself" thing.

:(

sorry brosef

Wait, did a game just start without me?

I thought you were making a comment about all the times from before.

Goddammit!!

no dude i just felt bad cuz u got mad :(

sig.gif
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

see, usually I'll just co-opt your opinions, and I've never read snow crash so I wanna be like "OH YEAH TOTALLY"

but you said the same thing about GR

and now I'm suspicious

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MizouraMizoura Moon pies and starry skies Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ5ZclZTeTU

this is a good cover of creep

that arrangement is very obnoxious and pointless

This is good! I am still searching (unsuccessfully) for the cover of this that Prince did a few years back at a live show. It was online for a while but then he demanded it be removed. I thought once something went on the internetz it stayed forever. Durrr

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

see, usually I'll just co-opt your opinions, and I've never read snow crash so I wanna be like "OH YEAH TOTALLY"

and now I'm suspicious

You should be.

Snow Crash is amazing.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    prince demanded something of his on the internet be taken down?

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

hehehe

one the one hand, I totally disagree about the prose. But on the other, only the first chapter or so is written like that. It settles down a lot after the first bit.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

and now I'm suspicious

no, i love the prose in gravity's rainbow, even though i found the book near-unreadable

and actually stephenson has been compared to pynchon (not in quality but in style), at least for snow crash, because of how wacky and surreal they are, with little interest in verisimilitude or... being convincing. the main character is called Hiro Protagonist, for one thing.

but the prose is sort of a combination of self-satisfied-ness and plain language with little grace or evocative power

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Snow Crash is ok. I don't remember the prose exciting me.

Actually, I king of remember it cooling me on the book before I got into it.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    this absurd, frankenstein esque photo (featuring my older brother with his huge penis and my older sister, cleaner of vomit) is bizarre to look at

you won't see the original version, especially at full resolution, because i am unspeakably foul to look upon

• Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    Snow Crash is light on grace and evocative power, heavy on nuclear miniguns and swordfights inside the internet.

• Options
    opposite.jpg

• Options

and now I'm suspicious

no, i love the prose in gravity's rainbow, even though i found the book near-unreadable

and actually stephenson has been compared to pynchon (not in quality but in style), at least for snow crash, because of how wacky and surreal they are, with little interest in verisimilitude or... being convincing. the main character is called Hiro Protagonist, for one thing.

but the prose is sort of a combination of self-satisfied-ness and plain language with little grace or evocative power

yeah, the vibe I get on him is that he's an insightful sci-fi author that was like the freshman that really wanted the cool senior pynchon to like him and maybe like give him a ride to school one day so jackie in homeroom could see him

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Organichu wrote: »
    opposite.jpg

The Bride and Groom?

Your thoughts at that moment:

"Where is David Carradine when I need him?"

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Oh oh, the self-satisfied prose in Snow Crash is p tongue in cheek. It goes along with the way the smarmy hyper-capitalist dystopia setting preaches at you from page zero.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Snow Crash is ridiculous, which is part of why I loved it so much. You can't take it seriously.

• Options
    MizouraMizoura Moon pies and starry skies Registered User regular
    prince demanded something of his on the internet be taken down?

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!

I know right?? Like he's royalty or something. Geez. Dude didn't even have a pronounceable name for a few years. Although he does win points for somehow managing to pull off doilies for clothes, without being a 300 year old vampire...or.....

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Snow Crash is light on grace and evocative power, heavy on nuclear miniguns and swordfights inside the internet.

yeah that sounds really unappealing

usually i like books that are light and have a sense of humour but i read a few chapters and it was really uninteresting

also i just read neuromancer, which has great prose, so it was a stark contrast

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    opposite.jpg

The Bride and Groom?

Your thoughts at that moment:

"Where is David Carradine when I need him?"

Bretty sure the guy on the left is Baron Juggalo Von Worthlessbad

sig.gif
  • Options
    and I'm out of whiskey

WHAT ELSE COULD GO WRONG TODAY, CHAT?!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    that is an odd picture chu

were you guys going for that or...

919UOwT.png
  • Options

usually i like books that are light and have a sense of humour but i read a few chapters and it was really uninteresting

Yeah uh Snow Crash and Neuromancer get compared a lot because they both had innovative conceptions of cyberspace for their times.

That is basically where the similarities ended. Snow Crash is extremely funny, if you can get into it, but I'm not surprised that someone looking for quality prose would have to keep looking.

• Options
    oh no that brother is my older brother, he is not the juggalo

and the lady is my older sister

as i said in that other post

• Options
    [chat] wrote:
    What were you expecting Snow Crash to be a good book? Come on!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    [chat] wrote:
    What were you expecting Snow Crash to be a good book? Come on!

It's a fucking great book, but not for the quality of its prose.

• Options
    it's not even that i'm looking for good prose, it's just noticeable when it's absent

i am finding it hard to articulate what is so unappealing to me about it

i think it might be that it's supposed to be ridiculous but i've heard all this ridiculousness before, so it doesn't really have the effect it was meant to. it's sort of rendered trivial.

i think i'll put away the kindle and find my copy of Foucault's Pendulum or something

• Options
    and I'm out of whiskey

WHAT ELSE COULD GO WRONG TODAY, CHAT?!

*Hides his scotch*

D:

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

read Virtual Light

I think it may be one of Gibson's best. I love his prose but it's a more mature book by a more mature dude. Very similar cyberpunky plot but with ordinary people in a more ordinary, less glamorous world.

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    that is an odd picture chu

were you guys going for that or...

it was just supposed to be a pic of all the siblings at the wedding

then DK photoshopped away some of my neck fat to make fun of me

which is only strengthening my desire to go bulimic, which seems appropriate

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    ugh

I have been trying to watch my blood pressure and my sodium intake and get serious about cardiovascular health

but that vigilance means that right now I have a kind of throbbing, low level headache and I can't help but wonder if it is an incipient stroke

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    bittersweet night

some amazing news but a generally shitty mood

i might try to call aaron soon

• Options
    Cryptonomicon is a much better example of Stephenson's stuff. I enjoyed it way more than Snow Crash.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

was there not a dress code memo?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    ugh

I have been trying to watch my blood pressure and my sodium intake and get serious about cardiovascular health

but that vigilance means that right now I have a kind of throbbing, low level headache and I can't help but wonder if it is an incipient stroke

i've waited so long for this mod spot...

wait, i mean

i hope you're ok

• Options
    i think i'll put away the kindle and find my copy of Foucault's Pendulum or something

tumblr_ljb0neHaDg1qhb9t2o1_500.gif

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

was there not a dress code memo?

really the only ones who dressed up were the wedding party. as i said, my family's p trashy.

• Options
    which is only strengthening my desire to go bulimic, which seems appropriate

fuck yeah!

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.