As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tomb Raider: Trailer up on IGN. Looks like Uncharted: With A Woman

1234568»

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Hey, come back when we have a culture that glorifies murder and then maybe we can do the comparison.
    Or come back when someone says, "well, that dude totally deserved to be murdered" or that person "asked for it".

I'm not disagreeing with your conclusion, but these both sound like things I see on a regular basis.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. You know what I've heard on a regular basis? "I felt like I was going to kill that guy" or "that guy should get beaten to do death with funny thing X for being so dumb".

You know what I never ever hear? "Somebody should totally rape that chick" or "raping that chick would be awesome".

Because one of those is glorified in all sorts of media (the entire action movie genre?) and one of those is never glorified. Ever. So I really can't agree with the implication at all that rape is glorified and murder is frowned upon when it's the exact opposite situation. Except, perhaps, among people who do bad things to other people.

Honestly, I'm still stuck on "amazed" that a few seconds of showing somebody who has the intent for rape is worse than the idea of somebody being strung up and tortured to death for fun.

I think we are mis-identifying glorification.

First off, the murderer always gets caught in movies. Name a movie or artistic endeavor where the murderer gets away. I can name a few movies (off the top of my head) where the rapist gets away or it's "to be expected". Even if you want to identify "action movies' as some kind of murder fantasy, can you really? Name a movie where the protagonist murdered someone else. Most of the time, you'll get some variation of "self-defense".

Now, I want you to take a hard look at your friends and the language your friends use. Do your friends more often use language that's in line with raping a woman or murdering an individual? I'm guessing your friends (if you're male) use language more in line with rapists, and studies would show this to be the case.

Murder is always bad in American culture. Rape? Eh. If she was wearing a skirt and attending a college frat party, nah. That's normal. If you want an easy example, think of the horror genre which slut shames non-stop. If you want something a little more difficult, try Disney movies that try to hide rape and misogyny.

You, as a part of the gaming culture, don't honestly hear rape as okay? Are you serious? Can you name a female heroine that some friend of yours hasn't said "dude, I would totally fuck her" or some variation of?

I understand people being defensive of their passions, but this is beyond defensive and just throwing your head in the sand. Videogames promote misogyny. Period. Stop.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    You, as a part of the gaming culture, don't honestly hear rape as okay? Are you serious? Can you name a female heroine that some friend of yours hasn't said "dude, I would totally fuck her" or some variation of?

This is not an indication of rape or "rape culture" at all

Yeah, I would fuck, say, Black Widow (played by Scarlett Johansson) if we wanna use other mediums

Do you think this doesn't come from the other end? Do you know how many females I've heard talk about the "things they'd do" to, say, all three of the male leads in that same movie (and in one case even Johansson herself)?

Sex /= rape, and screw you if you're one of those assholes that think it is. There is desire all over the place. There is lust. Many a times the feeling is not mutual, no matter which gender you're approaching it from. Acting on it when your advances are not wanted is something else entirely

And if you seriously hear people say that girls "deserve" it because of the way they dress or the lifestyles they live, then maybe you need to hang around other people.

People who aren't seriously fucked in the head.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Now, I want you to take a hard look at your friends and the language your friends use. Do your friends more often use language that's in line with raping a woman or murdering an individual? I'm guessing your friends (if you're male) use language more in line with rapists,

Then...you'd be wrong? I mean I dunno, I hate to disagree with "studies" in general, but the simple fact is that I look at that claim and am left scratching my head, because it doesn't match up with my experience in the slightest. Maybe I'm just lucky in that regard?

I'm also confused as to how you're equating "I'd fuck her" with rape-talk. It seems you're assuming a forcible approach to the situation, which isn't inherent -- or even implied -- in that sentence.

In any case, I think my argument was more that we glorify murder, not that we don't glorify rape. So...yeah.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

This is not an indication of rape or "rape culture" at all

Yeah, I would fuck, say, Black Widow (played by Scarlett Johansson) if we wanna use other mediums

Do you think this doesn't come from the other end? Do you know how many females I've heard talk about the "things they'd do" to, say, all three of the male leads in that same movie (and in one case even Johansson herself)?

Sex /= rape, and screw you if you're one of those assholes that think it is. There is desire all over the place. There is lust. Many a times the feeling is not mutual, no matter which gender you're approaching it from. Acting on it when your advances are not wanted is something else entirely

And if you seriously hear people say that girls "deserve" it because of the way they dress or the lifestyles they live, then maybe you need to hang around other people.

People who aren't seriously fucked in the head.

I admire the fact that you have lived a life free of rape apologists, you are exceptionally lucky. Because this shit is endemic. Did you not hear about the maid that Dominique Strauss raped get accused of asking for it constantly? Big profile case, the victim gets the blame for the rape. Or what about "prison shower" jokes? How many jokes do you hear about dropping the soap as compared to sharpening a toothbrush?

If you are looking for pages upon pages of "I hope you get raped" in Internet and games culture, Anita sarkeesian's YouTube request for kickstaeter funding for tropes vs. women has pages of comments of that kind. She's even recieved those threats personally! These people evidently see rape as an ok threat to bandy about. Probably because of culture. Let's not argue that rape is taken less seriously than murder in our culture, huh?

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I probably say "Man, I want to KILL <insert name here...probably Ricky Gervais>" far more often than "Man, I want to RAPE <insert name here...probably still Ricky Gervais>". And by 'far more' I mean I've never said the later. The same would go for my friends. That "study" shows that 'lad's mags' use the same terminology, how many people do you know that talk like a lad's mag?

And the horror genre? I can't think of anything that glorifies murder more, of recent years you have: A Serbian Film, the Saw series, Final Destination, Kill List.

And if you're wanting films/tv where the "murderer" gets away with it/wins... The Usual Suspects, No Country for Old Men, Memento, Hannibal, Se7en, Saw, All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (iirc), The Wicker Man (village of 'murderers' kills cop). All feature the killer, by and large, getting away with it. How about Dexter? I've never watched it myself but my understanding is he's a serial killer that kills other serial killers. Being the show is now in it's 7th(?) season I'd say that's been happily glorifying murder for some time now.

If the same tv show had been about a guy going around raping rapists I imagine it may have been pulled by now.

I can't really name any films where the rapist gets away, usually they're punished. Thoroughly.

Also, to the above, I would place bets that "I'm going to kill you" or "I hope you die" is uttered on the internet FAR more than "I hope you get raped".

Wow, this thread has got crazy, I just came in to see if there was any new gameplay footage :)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    ...I would go back to watching Dexter if he started raping the serial killers instead of killing them.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    TIL "I want to fuck her" is the same thing as raping someone

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126