As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dota 2] Nyx Assassin, Keeper of the Light, and Visage this week, and straight to CM.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I would argue that team morale is very important to victory in dota games. I actually get very frustrated when I play with people with defeatist attitudes, it makes me want to end the game very quickly so I can keep playing without that person.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I want Meepo to come out so goddamn hard. I expect to have to spend many dozens of bot matches learning to micro him, but he seems so fun!

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    "Here man, have some tangoes, you really need some fiber. It's been like three days and I've yet to see you use the bathroom."

"Don't stand around if they have a Pudge, if he gets a hold of you, he doesn't shut up. I swear to god, Pudge, no one cares about your cats."

"Oh man, did you see that rainbow coming from Rosh pit? No? I guess I'll just make sure there's no leprechauns or pots of gold down there. All by myself. I'll totally share."

Those normally get a laugh.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    So, I think my strategy for winning is not necessarily being a good player -- but rather to be a player with a pleasant, positive demeanor.

I feel like if I'm on the in game voice comm, offering jokes and commending people for doing a good job, our team performs so, so much better.

Plus, I really want more commendations! I like being told that I'm 'friendly.' :P

It's amazing how much of a difference it makes. Don't rage in chat, be forgiving, and annoying whiners will usually changer their ways pretty quickly.

In other news I shit all over a Spirit Breaker in bot lane last night as Earthshaker. First time I've ever had a good game, let alone carried 4 bads to victory with him. I felt really sorry for the SB, but he managed to feed on my teammates enough to make up for how bad I wrecked his early game.

• Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    Hey, you guys.
    Someone should ask Heleor about his divine rapier.

VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Jerkbot wrote: »
    Hey, you guys.

you know, i was going to make a joke about asking his mom about my divine rapier...

but instead, i'm going to take the high road and just say that he probably dropped it before he was finished...

• Options
    Damn, whoever played the Morphling in the 4FC vs M5 game for the Defense is my hero. M5 was losing the game really hard until about 25 minutes, and then the morphling started getting farmed. He had 680 GPM at the end of the game, 400 CS in a 45 minute game. Jesus.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    My preferred method is to ignore everyone all the time, unless I'm insulting a teammate for no reason. Works well enough.

I also stay well away from hard carries like Morph because I don't have the skill or discipline to farm properly. It takes a particular mindset which I just don't have and don't particularly want to get in to.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    Jerkbot wrote: »
    Hey, you guys.

But the other team was so nice to me!

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea, i really should only play semi-carries at most. i can't handle hard carry or at least being the only carry since i can't handle the pressure

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck

This thread will help you out learning, maybe.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    mts wrote: »
    yea, i really should only play semi-carries at most. i can't handle hard carry or at least being the only carry since i can't handle the pressure

Hard carrying is hard. It's really hard to judge when to just focus on farming and ignore team fights, and when your presence will make a difference. Generally pubs are not friendly for hard carries, as most pub players really undervalue farming.

Sejarki on
  • Options
    Well it's a step up from the support role I used to be stuck with. The semi-carry can open up the space a carry needs to get that farming done. But really, I just don't like my games to go past 45 minutes, win or lose (and they usually don't).

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I like the idea behind hard carries, and I'm getting better at them, but I think its just very hard to seclude yourself from so much of the action until you're really geared. Although in low skill games its much easier to go out with a vanguard and treads and pick some fights.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    I can "hard" carry if I end the game in 45 minutes. It's what I do with Krob. After that it's a total crapshoot and I just can't be bothered. I expect my team's real carry to finally step up.

stream
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Does anybody else play in the Spanish language version? It is such a shoddy job they have done. Get the genders wrong, use anglicisms, an inconsistent style (fluctuate between tu/usted/vos) and jump around between SA and European Spanish. It feels like a really half-arsed and dodgey effort :(.

Anybody play in other language versions with a similar experience?

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    hadoken wrote: »
    Does anybody else play in the Spanish language version? It is such a shoddy job they have done. Get the genders wrong, use anglicisms, an inconsistent style (fluctuate between tu/usted/vos) and jump around between SA and European Spanish. It feels like a really half-arsed and dodgey effort :(.

I wouldn't be too upset. I'm willing to bet it's mostly placeholder stuff now. Since they don't have all the champs, or Announcer packs finalized, and needing voice actors for all that unfinished stuff.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    hadoken wrote: »

I wouldn't be too upset. I'm willing to bet it's mostly placeholder stuff now. Since they don't have all the champs, or Announcer packs finalized, and needing voice actors for all that unfinished stuff.

As far as I know, all of the translations comes from Valve's volunteer translation thing, so unless someone puts in effort to go through the whole thing, I wouldn't expect things that are already translated to change a whole lot. And they do suggest leaving the names of heroes, abilities and items untranslated.

• Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    That makes a lot of sense now. The main problem was huge dialect variance... I might volunteer :).

In another note, Alchemist is awesome fun! I got phase boots, then battlefury/bkb + ring of aquila for that tiny bit of damage and he destroyed EVERYTHING.

Such a glorious hero, handsome to boot :).

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I like the idea behind hard carries, and I'm getting better at them, but I think its just very hard to seclude yourself from so much of the action until you're really geared. Although in low skill games its much easier to go out with a vanguard and treads and pick some fights.

Playing a hard carry is awesome in a pub as long as you have at least one person you know on your team, so you can guarantee yourself a half-decent lane early game. I enjoy being able to just forget about the mouth-breathing idiots in the other lanes, farm my tail off for a half hour, then go murderize the other team with my baller items.

It gets boring after a few games though, gotta mix it up.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    randomed clinkz last night. anything to help his early game out?
    i felt like i started off really slow though i eventually turned into more of a threat.

though i felt like once i got more used to his last hit i started famring better and got my orchid

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    randomed clinkz last night. anything to help his early game out?
    i felt like i started off really slow though i eventually turned into more of a threat.

though i felt like once i got more used to his last hit i started famring better and got my orchid

His animations are slow and a bit harder to get the hang of, but he can use the fire arrows thing to secure last hits and denies much easier than other heroes at the cost of some mana. Hes super farm dependent though, so you really have to get used to his attacks to get the gear you needed to start chunking enemy's hp pools.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    yeah, the terror in clinkz is one that gets a sub 20 minute orchid and just walks up to any squishy dude, strafes, silences them so they can't stun him and just melts them down in 3 seconds, repeating the process until everyone has bought ten stacks of dust

but at that point it won't matter because he has enough gold for a mkb or daedalus and he'll one shot you even if he doesn't get the jump!

if you can farm up the orchid fast, clinkz is so so so good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »

Playing a hard carry is awesome in a pub as long as you have at least one person you know on your team, so you can guarantee yourself a half-decent lane early game. I enjoy being able to just forget about the mouth-breathing idiots in the other lanes, farm my tail off for a half hour, then go murderize the other team with my baller items.

It gets boring after a few games though, gotta mix it up.

I most pubs I've been in, you have to stay cognizant of the other lanes because even if you're a hard carry, if (for instance) bot lane is losing badly, you either need start ganking, or switch people up.

Got stuck with Phantom Assassin tonight in single draft, can really see why she's such a gnarly pub stomper, once I started getting kills, she just utterly steamrolled from there. She's also fun against high damage ranged early game, because you can really put the fear of god in them with her blink and dagger slow.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    thankskv.png

Never thought I'd see the day.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    KrossKross Registered User regular
    I've seen the day about four times now. I wonder what exactly they do to those people.

• Options
    It was probably me!

stream
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    i have reported many men and never seen that, but i probably am too easy to rustle

i report a lot of unpausers and basically any bad manners in chat

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    rather people be trigger happy with reporting rather than never doling them out!

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    I've got two thanks this months. I've stopped playing two months ago.

Either they're catching up or some people I reported went crazier and had do be dispensed with.

• Options
    SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    neal reported a man in dota

just to watch him cry

a4i9N.png
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    I really love straight forward heroes. PA and CK are my new best friends.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Well, first try with Wisp was not very good.

Felt like I did not have enough supporty stuff to really save my teammates in a fight nor did I have enough damage to kill anything.

I mean, most of that is probably me being shit at using his spells and the fact that we got stomped with our without my bad play. Didn't even have time to build a mek.

• Options
    Though in other news I find myself getting more comfortable play mid heroes.

I used to, and I think some might recognize this feeling, feel a bit nervous about going mid. It is such 1v1 duel that can turn out to be so important, we have all played games where some QoP or Storm or something wins mid and proceeds to just murder your entire team. And with your team expecting you to gank and help them it puts quite a bit of pressure on you.

But as it turns out most people playing mid is just as shit, or even worse, than me!

• Options
    The expectation that mid is supposed to gank is a big misconception about what the role of mid lane actually is. There are many reasons to send a hero mid. The first would be that they are a ganking hero that needs levels to be successful, i.e. Bloodseeker. The second reason to send a hero mid is they do a lot more with levels and farm than other heroes, i.e. Invoker and QoP. The third reason to send a hero mid is it's generally a safer place to farm than the side lanes, i.e. Riki.

Basically, if someone is yelling at you to gank bottom lane when you're playing Invoker, tell them to shut up and continue farming. Unless you manage to pick up a haste or invis rune.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    5 wins in a row last night, out of 7 in a row since the 24th. Looks like the rework of mmr combined with a Leshrac push strat will help me get back to my break even point soon. If only Furion would stop stealing my farm. =P

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Well, certain heroes are definitely strong early gankers and should use that when playing mid. Pudge and Tiny for example. Once they get bottle they can and probably should do a lot of killing. And in some situations you kind of have to do it to help turn a losing side lane around.

Dota is pretty fluid when it comes to any of these "rules" though, I'll agree. You always have to adapt to whatever is going on, what the enemy lanes are etc in your game.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    I found out earlier that wisp and Chaos Knight is a hilarious combo. Since your w puts the enemy on the other side of you tether will automatically hit the guy you target and then you can stun with yours. And its hilarious to use wisp's ult to teleport to another lane real fast gank then go back to farming your lane.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    the best part about mid is when you are literally coneboning the other dude mid as like storm or something, but your sidelanes are complaining "wah wah we are on our tower" and then you are able to keep coneboning your dude in mid so hard you get like a 16 minute bloodstone

and then you help your sidelanes and its all "wooooooooah"

• Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    mid owns

19ZUtIw.png