As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] 6th Edition Incoming. Hide your women and children!

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I'm finally ok with taking thunderwolves. I used to not take them as much because of wound allocation BS made me feel like a jerk (excepting tournaments).

Now with my IC, I'll probably still use a frost blade or thunder hammer or something along those lines, and I'll leave most of my other dudes stock except for one thunderhammer. The need to take ablative wound fenrisian wolves is detbatable.

I'm going to ask my store to house-rule flakk missiles. This will probably not happen, because the only other player with a flyer is the store owner's son who fucking drools at imbalances like this.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wait, did my Valkyries and Vendettas just become way better? The pilots of my music playing Valkyrie just fist bumped.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Your Dark Angels will soon become hella awesome too I suspect.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Harlequins in 6th edition. So the FAQ says to replace the 2nd and 3rd sentences with HEY THEY HAVE STEALTH + SHROUDED YOU GUYS, on top of the range modification shenanigans.

Note that this only effects Eldar Harlies.

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Your Dark Angels will soon become hella awesome too I suspect.

You mean I might actually play a game using the Dark Angel codex?!?

Oh wait I have a battle company. There probably won't be rules for normal marines just bikers and termies

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    My army has been sold. Thank you very much.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    So I have an old Necron army from 3rd edition. It's entirely Warriors/Destroyers/Scarabs.

How hard would it be to refurb this thing for 6th? They're painted/flocked very poorly, but I don't know how to deal with the green rods for stripping/repainting. Not sure what units I'll want to add either. Thoughts?

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Get some vehicles and some crypteks and you're good to go i think.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Morskittar wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Alright, I missed the launch of 4th and 5th, and the launch of 3rd didn't have the huge internet coverage we have now.

Is the sort of pissing and moaning going on the sort of thing that just occurs with a GW edition release online? Because for every person trying to be rational about it, there's 20 claiming the sky is falling.

Flyers are fucking stupid and completely fuck armies that won't see a release for another ten years that don't have a way to deal with them outside of allies.

Random charge distance is flatly bad, people who say otherwise are stupid and wrong.

Having to go back and remodel unit champs because whoops turns out I actually want swords rather than axes is dumb.

Pretty happy with everything else.

@-Loki- - yes. Since back when Tyranid Tim hung out with everyone on AOL. And even before. I'm guilty of once saying "I still want Rogue Trader. My group will probably ignore the new edition when it comes out." Gamers are always dumb.

@Salvation122... now we must tie our wrists together and knife fight in a warehouse. Random charge distance is the best thing GW has ever done. Ever.

I'm really curious why you think slowing fast foot armies down and screwing people who are maneuvering for assault roughly half the time is a good thing at all, let alone the best thing GW has ever done.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Harlequins in 6th edition. So the FAQ says to replace the 2nd and 3rd sentences with HEY THEY HAVE STEALTH + SHROUDED YOU GUYS, on top of the range modification shenanigans.

However, this gets rid of the fact that the psychic power is always on. So does this mean that the Shadowseer has to actually cast it now?

EDIT: Nevermind. They're apparently Psyker Mastery Level 0, so it's always on.

So between the Dark Eldar and an allied Eldar force... I can potentially whip out 4 Harlequin units.

EDIT 2: And that's exactly what I did. Main force consists of a WWP Haemonculus on a Venom with a Wrack posse. Barely had enough points for a second Wrack unit (on foot somewhere). Eldar detachment has a 4 warlock Farseer Council all on Jetbikes with Singing Spears and a unit of 10 Pathfinders. Between both armies I have 4 full units of Harlequins armed with Kisses and led by Shadowseers. All of them come screaming out of the WWP.

Circus came to town, bitches. Though this honestly probably works better as an Eldar list with the DE force consisting of the Haemonculus with a SINGLE wrack venom + Harlequin Troupe and I can just take two smaller Pathfinder squads or something.

EDIT 3: Triple damn it. No. Dark Eldar list. Has to be that due to ally rules. If I want the funbox, I have to do it as Dark Eldar. Cut down on the Pathfinders to make room for two venoms, hopefully, and maybe fusion pistols on the Shadowseers. Allied Troupe walks onto the table. Problem solved.

OK, so this is GW stupidity. I'm 99% sure the sentences they meant to replace with "they have Stealth and Shrouded" are the second and third sentences in paragraph 2, or alternately the second and third paragraphs themselves. Those are the sentences/paragraphs that talk about spotting distance and so on.

Instead, they replace "It follows the same rules as Warlock powers (see page 20-21). (para) The Shadowseer uses her powers to confuse and terrify her foe." One of those is a clarification about how the power is always on (which is upheld in the new errata, giving them ML0), and the other is a fluff sentence.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    Is it the 2nd and 3rd sentances in the DE book? And then they put the bit in the wrong FAQ? :)

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Alright, I missed the launch of 4th and 5th, and the launch of 3rd didn't have the huge internet coverage we have now.

Is the sort of pissing and moaning going on the sort of thing that just occurs with a GW edition release online? Because for every person trying to be rational about it, there's 20 claiming the sky is falling.

Flyers are fucking stupid and completely fuck armies that won't see a release for another ten years that don't have a way to deal with them outside of allies.

Random charge distance is flatly bad, people who say otherwise are stupid and wrong.

Having to go back and remodel unit champs because whoops turns out I actually want swords rather than axes is dumb.

@-Loki- - yes. Since back when Tyranid Tim hung out with everyone on AOL. And even before. I'm guilty of once saying "I still want Rogue Trader. My group will probably ignore the new edition when it comes out." Gamers are always dumb.

@Salvation122... now we must tie our wrists together and knife fight in a warehouse. Random charge distance is the best thing GW has ever done. Ever.

I'm really curious why you think slowing fast foot armies down and screwing people who are maneuvering for assault roughly half the time is a good thing at all, let alone the best thing GW has ever done.

I'm not sure how it slows down fast foot armies. They can still move 6" and run d6". I suppose they can't run and charge, so that one turn is a bit different. But the average charge distance is going to be 7", which is slightly longer than before, and could always be looked at as having rolled a 1 on the fleet roll previously.

There's a 72% chance you will have no worse an assault range compared to previously (assuming no 5e fleet) and a 58% chance you'll actually charge farther than previously (again assuming no 5e fleet).

• Options
    Except fast armies tended to have fleet, so arguing that guys without fleet are better off just means that those with fleet are even more relatively worse off in comparison. :)

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular

I'm a sucker for old school simulation mechanics like this - random charge range changes the decision making process to something like "should I move up cautiously before charging or go for it and risk getting caught in the open?" which fundamentally alters the dynamics of the game in a way we haven't seen since 2nd and Overwatch (and improves upon that). Just like in WFB, it undermines the ability to run assaults as a clockwork timer against static targets; your opponent is now playing your potential for risk-taking ("does he launch the assault earlier? What if he gets a 12" charge?") than a more static game effect ("I have three turns till they reach my artillery").

I'm 100% behind anything that forces players to take risks and play against their opponents' decisions, rather than predictable, reductive mechanics that will yield the same result every time.

So yeah, random charge ranges have been a huge boon for WFB and likely now 40k.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Funny thing, my first army, my old space marine army, got pretty much stronger all around this edition. Foot slogging tacticals with ml/flamer, sternguard with a fist, kantor, a thunderfire, two MM dreads, a vindicator, and a tl lc pred.

Just find it amusing.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I'm 100% behind anything that forces players to take risks and play against their opponents' decisions, rather than predictable, reductive mechanics that will yield the same result every time.

This, every time. They've helped make Fantasy a great game, in my opinion. You can't always rely on your troops to pull off your orders 100% effectively (or, indeed, they may exceed your expectations!) - balancing the risk is fun!

Lezta on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Average of three dice is 11.5 rather than 7, so they're kind of the same speed I'd have thought - the extra 3.5 you'd have got running is kind of spread into an extra "1 and a bit" per dice. So you're just over 2" faster than a non-fleet model and far less likely to screw up a charge (only a 30" chance of getting a 4 or less on all three dice).

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Lezta wrote: »

This, every time. They've helped make Fantasy a great game, in my opinion. You can't always rely on your troops to pull off your orders 100% effectively (or, indeed, they may exceed your expectations!) - balancing the risk is fun!

This is also why I love Warmaster so much as well; either you take risks with your heroes by putting them ahead of your units to minimise range penalties to your command checks or you take a chance on using your general's superior leadership and maybe freezing your entire army solid for a turn and, either way, this is a decision you should have been thinking about last turn.

Or, in short, down with "lol, I guess I charge or something?"

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    awwwww fuck. Commissar lords can no longer hide an entire infantry regiment under their camo cloak. Cloaks now "adds +1 to the model's cover save" instead of giving it stealth.
    BOoourns.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

I'm a sucker for old school simulation mechanics like this - random charge range changes the decision making process to something like "should I move up cautiously before charging or go for it and risk getting caught in the open?" which fundamentally alters the dynamics of the game in a way we haven't seen since 2nd and Overwatch (and improves upon that). Just like in WFB, it undermines the ability to run assaults as a clockwork timer against static targets; your opponent is now playing your potential for risk-taking ("does he launch the assault earlier? What if he gets a 12" charge?") than a more static game effect ("I have three turns till they reach my artillery").

I kind of feel like assault has enough drawbacks already, what with the high chance of taking damage to deal damage.

Random charge distance just makes me want to say "fuck it" and build gunlines so I can laugh at the guy who roles snake eyes.

Unfortunately I'm broke as hell so that's not an option.

• Options
    Ahahah the pictures of Matt Ward in the book. Specifically on page xv. Could he look like a bigger nerd? The American Civil War is calling, it said you can keep that look since they got enough of them.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    RRrrgghghghghg. Pretty damn sure any sane player will agree that the Harlequin change is for BOTH armies. Not planning on playing this shit in anything out of a casual, fun match. Also? Yeah. The distance thing I could care less about. The big thing is Stealth+Shrouded. THAT'S WHAT I'm gunning for.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    What does stealth+shrouded do again?
    Was it the "base 5+ cover always" and "+1 to cover saves" because I thought they already had a 4+ cover save from their suits….

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Draigo wing still alive and well, all paladins are characters woop woop woop.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Where does it say whats a character and whats not?

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Was it the "base 5+ cover always" and "+1 to cover saves" because I thought they already had a 4+ cover save from their suits….

They have a 5+ invuln save. Shrouded gives you +2 to cover saves. If you're out of cover, then you have a 5+ minimum cover save. Stealth improves THAT by +1. So if you're in area terrain (5+ cover base), it's down to 2+.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Honestly, the Stealth + Shrouded bit really is a bit of a nerf to Harlies. Having to roll 2d6x2 to see them literally made them invulnerable to a lot of weapons, at least at the ranges they'd usually be used at.

Now, Stealth + Shrouded for Tau Stealth Suits, who suddenly have a permanent 4+ (minimum) cover save to go with their 3+ armor save? Instead of a "Roll 2d6x3 to see them"? That makes them useful.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    Where does it say whats a character and whats not?
    Appendix, starting around p.400 or so.

They have a 5+ invuln save. Shrouded gives you +2 to cover saves. If you're out of cover, then you have a 5+ minimum cover save. Stealth improves THAT by +1. So if you're in area terrain (5+ cover base), it's down to 2+.

OK, that's better than replacing one cover save with another, but still kind of a kick in the teeth. Oh well.

• Options
    Well, until the FAQ fixes it, they're stealthed, shrouded, AND have the distance rule. Obviously going to get ruled on later, but whatever. A 2+ save is better, at least to me. They need to charge into melee range and they're going to get close enough to get shot at, anyway. Might as well give them the best saves possible.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    5th / 6th tournament battle report

6th edition game 1, GK vs GK

opponent running brotherhood champ warlord, techmarine conv beam, HvB/las/hurr stormraven, 2 squads of psybolt termies, one psycan heavy squad, one psycan purifiers, one 5 man strike squad

forget what his warlord was

i'm running coteaz, 3 psyback (one with a mystic beacon), HvB/AC/hurr psybolt stormraven, psycan termies, psycan inquis with brain mines, 7psyker/3plasma can/jokaero (chimera), 6 dca (1 axe)/3 crusader/1 psyker/1 eviscerator banisher, ven dread psybolt AC loadout

I rolled the +2str / +4(i) pyro and reroll your saves malediction on coteaz, and precog (reroll all fail hits/wounds/saves) on my inquis (OMFG OP)

he gave me first turn, i moved up, maledicted his psybolt heavies and shot them down
    bottom first: he shot up my chimera and not much else

top second: stormraven zoomed on and 2 psy-shock missles killed 4 of a strike squad and the champ, AC killed the techmarine (armor save 1), coteaz and the plasmas moved out of the 1 HP chimera, termies and inquis moved up shot the termie squad and make assault thru cover (8 in), precog inquis challenged justicar and owned him, my 2 hammers wiped out the squad (1 precision strike that didn't matter much)
    bottom second: his stormraven zoomed on and unloaded, psy-shock killing 2 termies (nothing else), he rest of his firing mostly bounced off coteaz (who was in front with his 2+/4+) until i got scared of the S7 hits (he's T3) and i started lookout sir-ing to psykers... almost lost coteaz to a rending psycannon shot

top third: my stormraven goes to hover and unloads dca's who dispatch purifiers vehicle, my psybacks move to take the objectives (running low on time) I SHOULD HAVE disembarked for 13-18" move to catch 3 objectives, but i was derping on the combat mechanics, psykers and plasmas scattered off his termies, but they took enough fire to lose one, i unloaded too much fire on his stormraven, I should have made my own SR skyfire but derped it
    bottom third: he shoots at my psybacks and fails a charge, his purifiers firepower takes out my stormraven

end for time (2h 30m), I controlled 2/5 objectives and had 2 VP's for firstblood and warlord kill, this was a learning tournament so we took our time and learned a lot of rules

karlthepagan on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    So me & @Gabriel_Pitt played a couple games of 6th this weekend. Only about 500pts because I gather and paint slow as shit, but still.

I'm pretty happy about 6th so far. Our 2nd game (DE vs Marines) was an absolute nail-biter that basically went back & forth the entire game starting with my Wyches failing a 3" charge due to the special characteristic we rolled for the objective. Also somehow both my Raider AND my Venom lasted the whole game in spite of the volume of fire they came under. The Jink rule is so baller.

We did encounter one WTF thing though with the way wound allocation seems to go down for blast weapons. Even if the blast hits the back ranks, you still pull casualties from the closest models even if they weren't under the template? Huh?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Yeah. Blast weapons have always been a bit weird in 40k since 3e. I suspect it's an attempt to avoid 'artillery sniping' and such, except, IIRC, actual barrage weapons allocate from the centre of the marker….

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The only thing I could see them going for is trying to get you to actually think about the placement of your mans in a unit rather than just having a blob.

And, frankly, I'm all for that granularity.

Other highlight of last night: My Dread punching down a god damn building just because.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Other highlight of last night: My Dread punching down a god damn building just because.

Yeah, this sort of thing is going to be awesome. My friend loves his Bastions (he bought that set with both and an Aegis line), so being able to reduce them to rubble as his dude hide on top will be fun.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    RRrrgghghghghg. Pretty damn sure any sane player will agree that the Harlequin change is for BOTH armies. Not planning on playing this shit in anything out of a casual, fun match. Also? Yeah. The distance thing I could care less about. The big thing is Stealth+Shrouded. THAT'S WHAT I'm gunning for.

If you can explain to me why Target Locks have gone, you can use whichever variant of harlequins you like. Though to be honest I'd probably let you use either anyway, despite 2+ cover save when firing through an enemy unit is pretty good.

Shrouded is cover save is always +2 better than it otherwise would be, stealth is cover save is 6+ or +1 better.
    So it's +3 to cover saves when combined together.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Something to remember about fleet- it now allows you to reroll any of the dice used to charge. So while you may roll say, a 6 and a 2, you can now keep the 6 and reroll the 2. Makes it a bit better for making sure you get an above average roll.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Target Locks are gone because the powers that be said so. That and I assume because of hull points, it should take more than one Broadside to wipe out a vehicle. Besides that? Fuck if I know. Maybe the new Tau codex is closer than we thought and they want to change a few things.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Here's a thing; they in ally fixed crisis suits so they are straight Jet-Pack Infantry, with no more confusing, ambiguous statement about rapid fire and heavy weapons. Which also means any marker drones they take will be JPI too. Which means move-and-fire networked markerlights for all!

Sniper drone teams suddenly look a lot better under the influence of the new stealth field rules too.

• Options
    After watching and playing another game of 6th I'm a little less angry at flyers.

Firstly, my feelings is that, vehicles that aren't shooty vehicles or drop pods are nerfed. Mainly because it's a guaranteed death after X amount of results. This makes dreadnoughts a no-go for me. I used to reliably be able to throw a dreadnought at things, but 3 glances and the fucker is just dead. Extra armor is overcosted now for everything IMO.

I think 6th is going to be the edition where everyone just tools up shooting. Why assault shit unless you have invul saves? I lost units every time I assaulted to snapfire. Even a thunderwolf. I don't think it's really a bad thing, it's just changing the dynamic of the game. I'm not really afraid of being assaulted as much because even as space wolves, I'd rather just doubletap my plasmas and bolters into them and wait for the snapfire overwatch.

I think the actual fix to this is the allies. It allows you to shore up your units and make things that can help out your army where it's lacking. I saw a black templar guy just rampage around the board with squads of SS/TH termies.

Also, SS/TH termies are back to prime. Why ever take anything else? ESPECIALLY as regular marines or blood angels with their fucking awesome FNP assault termies or space marines with their cheap 200pt assault termy units.

signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Oh and if you thought paladin wound shenanigans was gone, well, THEY ARE ALL CHARACTERS. so you stick one guy in front, roll for look out, if you pass, you can allocate the 2 wounds to another dude.

Then you keep doing this with each one in succession until they've all taken at least one unsaved wound now you have taken a bunch of wounds and lost 0 models.

Works with any multi wounds models in a unit if there is a character up front.

At least, that's how I can see it working unless I'm wrong. Someone tell me i'm wrong please.

altmann on

signature.png
This discussion has been closed.