As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're gonna need a bigger bar [FAGASSMAXX Weightlifting thread]

TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in Social Entropy++
I'm going to kick this off with a jab in the nuts to everyone here by way of Julia Zaugolova's recent raw deadlift world record (240kg @67kg):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urhGUeb3SXg

She is a mindblowingly strong lifter. See her previous exploits in the squat and the bench:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V1euyugx4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JfaJviTWg8&feature=related

Comrades, this is 22nd iteration of glorious BIGMAN thread. Share with us your anguish and insights in your battle against, and occasionally with, the iron.

Required reading:

11 November 2007 - Alright faggots let's hump this shit up
26 January 2008 - BIG MAN! BIG MAN! LET'S HUMP THIS SHIT UP!
23 April 2008 - I AM A BIG MAN. WE WILL HUMP SHIT UP
24 November 2008 - PUMP THAT SHIT UP, WEAKLING!
3 February 2009 - I love being strong
24 Februry 2009 - I'm a Big Man, yes I am, and I've got TWO big guns
13 January 2009 - ATTN: Weaklings! Pump that shit up!
12 April 2009 - Bulgy like moose
14 June 2009 - Strong like bull
5 August 2009 - The strength of a bear that has the strength of two bears
4 October 2009 - Everybody wanna be a bigman (don't nobody wanna lift this bigass weight)
23 December 2009 - Post yer quads!
2 March 2010 - My ass is a quivering mess
20 April 2010 - GIANT BIGMAN CLUB
31 May 2010 - Squats are part of a balanced bigman diet
20 July 2010 - Got 99 problems but a bench ain't one
21 September 2010 - Bigmanification
5 December 2010 - Weight training thread
8 April 2011 - Of might and men
June 2011 - Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron
December 2011 - When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop

The H/A fitness thread, although it was eventually closed due to stupidity, began with good intentions and there is also some good reading to be had throughout its six iterations.

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six

TheRealBadger on

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Woo fresh thread. My squat hiatus continues. Hopefully for not much longer.

• Options
    carl_rogerscarl_rogers Registered User regular
    Hey guys, just wondering your thoughts regarding resting time between muscle groups.

ATM I do
    Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Back/Bicepts
    Thursday: Shoulders
    Friday: Legs/Abs.

While I do chest workout on Mondays, lets say I wanted to do chest again on fridays? Specifically bench press. Is that alright, or am i being stupid? I was thinking maybe once a week for chest may not be enough to build strength.
    I have been considering using Mondays as the day I really push heavy weight, with low reps - while fridays I can focus on lesser weight and more reps? What do you guys think?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Double Post*

carl_rogers on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Benching twice a week isn't necessarily bad for a beginner. I think a program like SS from memory will have you benching 3 times per fortnight (twice in week A, once in week B).

Anyway, depends on your goals. If you're fairly new to lifting, keeping things simple and progressing on a weekly/fortnightly basis is acceptable.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    finally ponied up and joined Snap Fitness yesterday.

I already do kickboxing and jiu jitsu 4 times a week, but i want to get stronger.

next couple weeks are gonna be me trying to figure out my maxes for the big three I think. (unless you guys know of a quick and efficient way to figure it out without hurting myself)

then I'm gonna start using the 5-3-1 program and using the spreadsheet that Peen so kindly forwarded to me a few months ago.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Here's a 1RM calculator based on any number of reps that you do know, @Nogs. It's theoretical, but reasonably close.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Started weightlifting this last week.

What kind of stretches should I do when I get done so my muscles don't hurt for the next six billion weeks?

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »
    next couple weeks are gonna be me trying to figure out my maxes for the big three I think. (unless you guys know of a quick and efficient way to figure it out without hurting myself)

then I'm gonna start using the 5-3-1 program and using the spreadsheet that Peen so kindly forwarded to me a few months ago.

If you're just starting, you can do a triple as your starting point. A 1RM is going to be pretty variable at first.

And my fiance has been getting pretty annoyed at all the time I'm spending at the gym.
    So she went and bought the powerrack and Texas bar.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    blaze_zero wrote: »

What kind of stretches should I do when I get done so my muscles don't hurt for the next six billion weeks?

All the stretches.

But that isn't really going to do much for DOMS. You will stop getting DOMS, at least as severely, after a few weeks as your muscles get used to being worked out.

• Options
    Oh, ok. Well then, I guess I just gotta tough it out.

• Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    1 week in I was all My death will come swiftly at the face of these stairs

6 weeks later I'm squattin before work, no problem.

Took a week off, (not intentionally) hit the gym hard - My nemesis has returned

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »

All the stretches.

But that isn't really going to do much for DOMS. You will stop getting DOMS, at least as severely, after a few weeks as your muscles get used to being worked out.
    doing stretches while you have DOMS can be the most intense pleasure you can possibly experience

• Options
    So, I'm thinking about doing intermittent fasting (which, honestly, would be better for my current budget).

Does anyone have any experience with this?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Benching twice a week isn't necessarily bad for a beginner. I think a program like SS from memory will have you benching 3 times per fortnight (twice in week A, once in week B).

Anyway, depends on your goals. If you're fairly new to lifting, keeping things simple and progressing on a weekly/fortnightly basis is acceptable.

I may give it a try then and see how I feel. I've been doing pushups every second day. I have a local playground near my house which no one uses - excellent for my cardio session! I guess if it's becoming too much i can just reduce it back to mondays.

So, I'm thinking about doing intermittent fasting (which, honestly, would be better for my current budget).

Isn't it better to loose fat by give your body enough food throughout the day without starving? This is also where im confused as theres so many contradicting articles on the net. Heres a thing i read on it recently.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/08/intermittent-fasting/

Seems a little silly to me - but im still a beginner to all this

carl_rogers on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Tried paused close grip bench last night, hadn't ever benched with a pause before. It's interesting, I'd like to try it with my regular grip.

Also found out I can do 4 pull-ups, which I didn't expect.

• Options

Are you thinking of doing a Lean Gains deal, a Eat Stop Eat deal, a Warrior Diet, or just fasting 1-2 days out of a week?

• Options
    Probably a Lean Gains deal. I was reading up on some stuff and that one seemed to fit my day the best.

• Options
    SemirrageSemirrage Registered User regular
    Back in the gym again after a month and a half of sick/lazy.
    This will be the push to a 3 plate squat for a triple.

My previous max was 290 for a triple.

So many DOMS

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    I've been thinking of going back to intermittent fasting again but leaning toward a 20 hour fast every day instead of my previous 16.....I'd like to start getting my distance running work in while in a fasted state to work on my body using fat better.

I guess my plan will be closer to a lean gains style than any other (eat stop eat is a few 24 hours fasts a week while warrior diet encourages raw food snacking during the day, yeah?). Probably follow a more paleo style diet outside the fasting.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    BEAST! we are going to have to take your username away from you if you insist on this pursuit of frailty.

• Options
    Lean Gains is great. I like it a lot. Some people can't handle working out fasted, but I prefer it personally.

However, if you follow it to the tee, then it won't be lighter on your wallet. BCAAs can get pretty damn expensive when your going through like 20 grams a day.

It doesn't matter what fad type diet you do to be honest though. At the end of the week, your Macro and Micro nutrient profile and your calories intake are the biggest contributors to what you will look like in the mirror and how you feel.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular

If you're just starting, you can do a triple as your starting point. A 1RM is going to be pretty variable at first.

And my fiance has been getting pretty annoyed at all the time I'm spending at the gym.

You lucky bastard!!!!! The rack from rogue as well?

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Been knocking down old sheds at work with a sledgehammer for the last two days. Got quite a deep pain in my forearms, laying off the gym for the week. Good fun though :)

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    BEAST! we are going to have to take your username away from you if you insist on this pursuit of frailty.
    What portion of this will make me frail?!?!?! I don't want to be frail :(

And yeah, @Buddies, BCAAs are expensive but if you're lifting right before you stop the fast you don't really need them.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oof

I'm feelin' yesterday's workout pretty nicely today

Been a while since I was sore like this

• Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Alright, as per the recommendations made by @Penn and @Methuselah from the last thread, I'm upping my food intake.

Yesterday:
    Breakfast - Chicken Apple sausage (2 links), fried egg (1 whole egg, one egg white)
    Pre-Workout - BCAAs (6 grams)
    Post-Workout - ON Natural Whey shake (2 scoops), creatine (5g), raw almonds (2 servings)
    Lunch - Spinach salad with tuna fish and olive oil (approx. 1 pound), raw walnuts (2 servings)
    Snack - Baked Chicken Breast (8 ounces), leftover Chicken Apple sausage (~ 1 link)
    Dinner - Top Sirloin steak (8 ounces), mixed greens salad, sauteed sugar snap peas (approx 6 ounces)
    Pre-Sleep - ON Casein (1.3 scoops) with 1% milk (12 ounces)

Today:
    Breakfast - 4 egg omelet (2 whole, 2 whites) with white onion and green pepper, 1/2 an avocado
    Post-Workout - ON Natural Whey shake (2 scoops), creatine (5g), raw almonds (2 servings)
    Lunch - Spinach salad with grilled chicken breast and olive oil (approx. 1 pound), watermelon (.5 pounds) raw walnuts (2 servings)
    Projected:
    Snack - Apple (1 whole) with almond butter (1.5 tablespoons)
    Dinner - Pork tenderloin (10 ounces), mixed greens salad, steamed broccoli

I havent thrown that into a calorie counter, but it seems like it's an increase in my protein and calorie intake, as well as (I think, maybe we can get a ruling) fitting into the Paleo format. How's this look? Still need more food?

twotimesadingo on
    PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    Ugh. I just made the mental connection between increased testosterone from lifting and my hair thinning out a bit over the past year. Google tells me this is a thing.

Fuck you, human physiology.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Alright, as per the recommendations made by @Penn and @Methuselah from the last thread, I'm upping my food intake.

Yesterday:
    Breakfast - Chicken Apple sausage (2 links), fried egg (1 whole egg, one egg white)
    Lunch - Spinach salad with tuna fish and olive oil (approx. 1 pound), raw walnuts (2 servings)
    Snack - Baked Chicken Breast (8 ounces), leftover Chicken Apple sausage (~ 1 link)
    Dinner - Top Sirloin steak (8 ounces), mixed greens salad, sauteed sugar snap peas (approx 6 ounces)

Today:
    Breakfast - 4 egg omelet (2 whole, 2 whites) with white onion and green pepper, 1/2 an avocado
    Lunch - Spinach salad with grilled chicken breast and olive oil (approx. 1 pound), watermelon (.5 pounds) raw walnuts (2 servings)
    Projected:

I havent thrown that into a calorie counter, but it seems like it's an increase in my protein and calorie intake, as well as (I think, maybe we can get a ruling) fitting into the Paleo format. How's this look? Still need more food?

The sausage links, milk, and protein isn't strictly paleo, but there's nothing wrong with that. What are your lifts at, and what kind of routine are you doing? Forgive me if I've asked you this before.

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    Ugh. I just made the mental connection between increased testosterone from lifting and my hair thinning out a bit over the past year. Google tells me this is a thing.

Or that's a thing that just happens to people as they age.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Hey since we were talking about it @Peen would you recommend doing one armed DB rows or both arms?

Not sure how much of a difference it makes since I've never done DB rows of any kind.

• Options
    moocow wrote: »

Or that's a thing that just happens to people as they age.

Not in my case. I was 27 when I started with no sign of hair loss whatsoever and no family history. I had pretty perpetually thick hair.

• Options

Yesterday:

Today:
    Projected:

why are you using bcaas? They're expensive and you would achieve the same with a) less cost and b) more protein by just taking protein pre workout.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Doing a paleo/carb deprived diet right now, except I'm using dairy milk with my protein shakes. Boy do I miss watermelon, and grapefruit, and shitting like a normal person

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    Methuselah wrote: »

You lucky bastard!!!!! The rack from rogue as well?

So awesome. This is the correct response, rather than to yell about you being "obsessive" and throw down ultimatums (been there, not a great feel).

Now Kak, let's talk plates.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Hey since we were talking about it Peen would you recommend doing one armed DB rows or both arms?

Not sure how much of a difference it makes since I've never done DB rows of any kind.

I can only speak to what I've done but I do them one armed with the other hand resting on a bench. Do all the rows Oghulk. Do them.

@BEAST! only frail babies run in a fasted state! Lift weights with one hand and eat a pork loin with the other while you listen to screaming black metal and gently hump the air. That's the path to true manhood.

• Options
    Oh I had some excellent slow cooked pork for dinner last night. No black metal and I was not humping the air, but things still went pretty well.

• Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Methuselah wrote: »

Yesterday:

Today:
    Projected:

The sausage links, milk, and protein isn't strictly paleo, but there's nothing wrong with that. What are your lifts at, and what kind of routine are you doing? Forgive me if I've asked you this before.

No worries. It's all buried in the old thread, anyway.

5/3/1 BBB
    5'7", 164lbs
    DL 275
    Squat 230
    Bench 180
    OHP 135

I wondered if a protein supp. would be considered Paleo; guess I have my answer. I'm not willing to drop it from my diet though, as it accounts for 75ish grams of protein per day.

BEAST! wrote: »

Yesterday:

Today:
    Projected:

why are you using bcaas? They're expensive and you would achieve the same with a) less cost and b) more protein by just taking protein pre workout.

I get them from some ON amino chewables, which weren't all that expensive. The upside is that they give me energy, which I struggle with. I'll probably reconsider the cost/benefit of them once I run out. But for now, placebo effect or not, I really feel like they make a difference in how much I can exert.
    ninzorjons wrote: »
    Doing a paleo/carb deprived diet right now, except I'm using dairy milk with my protein shakes. Boy do I miss watermelon, and grapefruit, and shitting like a normal person

F. I havent finished reading through the Paleo Solution yet, so I haven't seen all the fruit restrictions, but I didn't realize that watermelon was prohibited.

Also, three quotes in one post makes me the winner, even if my lifting sucks.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    Way to make the air feel fat, ugly and unloved, TRB.

• Options
    Way to make the air feel fat, ugly and unloved, TRB.

I'm taking it slow, damnit!

• Options
    Shit I think the milk I made this shake with might be off. This should spice up the six hour bus trip I'm taking later today.

This discussion has been closed.