Options

Chik-fil-GAY ... an honest discussion of homosexuality and the perils therein*

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    the worst thing about the boy scouts is that the girl scouts are hellaciously awesome and progressive

why can't guys have that

why does the dude scout thing have to be run by a bunch of bigots

I sent in all my eagle stuff today

felt pretty good

My scout troop was lead by an openly gay women. She was really mean and had a mustache, but she was out and no one really cared.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I mean, it's good that the winds are blowing so that it's seen as good business to stand up for gay rights.

But, on the other hand, you don't really give a shit about doing the right thing. Just the profitable thing. So you would just as easily be a bigot if it put you further in the black.

other instances of the Henson Company being bigoted for cash include:

(also this gives me a great idea of just whoring myself out to the worst shitbags in exchange for dough. what's that? gay people are reptiloids and aids is their way of culling the human population? got twenty bucks? worrrrrd)

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I should really stop eating at Carl's Jr, I guess

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Dessart wrote: »
    My great-grandmother was at one time the oldest Chick-fila employee in the country. They gave her a cheap plastic watch as gift and the thing was always broken.

Yeah this whole deal is pretty messed up but I think with a constant, non-hateful cultural push Chick-fila and the rest of the South will eventually become more tolerant. I mean my mom's family is from one the more liberal parts of South Carolina and it wasnt until a short time ago that all businesses were closed on Sunday.

Also, waffle fries fo' life!

What do you mean by "non-hateful"?

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    the worst thing about the boy scouts is that the girl scouts are hellaciously awesome and progressive

why can't guys have that

And yet no one knows what my Gold Award is which actually has a lot more requirements than the Eagle Award.

This was made very clear to me when I was earning mine while my twin brother also worked on his Eagle project.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I can't speak for everyone else, but I consider "CEO of Company X is anti-gay" and "Company X is anti-gay" not to necessarily be the same thing.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I've hated CFA since like 2002

They were the only fast food on campus

Why oh why would you pick a place that closes on Sunday as your only non-cafeteria option, school, why

Haven't eaten at one in years even though there's one right down the road

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I hope nobody is celebrating the Henson Company.

"Yes, we are so pro-gay! That's why we made a toy deal with a religious fast food chain without doing five minutes of research!"

It is such a calculated business move.
    I'm not sure what is wrong with a calculated business move that supports equality
    It's not wrong, but it's not laudatory either.

There is absolutely no way to know the reasons for this. The only thing we actually know is that they publicly denounced a homophobic statement by Chik-fil-a, and pulled all their deals with that company. If that isn't laudatory then I don't know what is.

• Options
    I can't speak for everyone else, but I consider "CEO of Company X is anti-gay" and "Company X is anti-gay" not to necessarily be the same thing.

i can get behind this

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I mean, it's good that the winds are blowing so that it's seen as good business to stand up for gay rights.

But, on the other hand, you don't really give a shit about doing the right thing. Just the profitable thing. So you would just as easily be a bigot if it put you further in the black.

...giving Chick-fil-A the right to use their IP for toys?

It's not like Chick-fil-A was some secret cabal of fundamentalist heterosexuality. I'm an idiot and figured it out a good four years ago. I think a company that claims to be supportive of gay rights would do research at least on the same level as some fat guy's google search.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    There is a well-documented history of Chick-fil-A giving money to homophobes.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

If it were just him, then you might have a point, but as others have mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Chik-fil-a has a history of fucked up stuff.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

why can't guys have that

Canada wins again

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Just saw this:

391361_4009219161078_1947622812_n.jpg

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    seriously that article taught me about a sexual/racial minority I hadn't even heard of before, and Scouts Canada is cool with them too.
    2-Spirited: A term that describes indigenous North Americans who fulfill one of the many mixed gender roles found traditionally among Canadian First-nations indigenous groups.

• Options

It's not like Chick-fil-A was some secret cabal of fundamentalist heterosexuality. I'm an idiot and figured it out a good four years ago. I think a company that claims to be supportive of gay rights would do research at least on the same level as some fat guy's google search.

read that sentence again because you missed the word "other"

i'm saying there's nothing to back this up

businesses make mistakes all the time

shit happens

• Options
    DessartDessart Registered User regular
    My great-grandmother was at one time the oldest Chick-fila employee in the country. They gave her a cheap plastic watch as gift and the thing was always broken.

Yeah this whole deal is pretty messed up but I think with a constant, non-hateful cultural push Chick-fila and the rest of the South will eventually become more tolerant. I mean my mom's family is from one the more liberal parts of South Carolina and it wasnt until a short time ago that all businesses were closed on Sunday.

"Lets fuck Chik-fila up for hating gay people! Fuck those assholes"

There are always good number of people who would be willing to spend hours on facebook and at real life locations just cursing at people who work at/go to Chick-fila. Shit can always escalate

• Options

There are always good number of people who would be willing to spend hours on facebook and at real life locations just cursing at people who work at/go to Chick-fila. Shit can always escalate

who the fuck is doing this

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular

"Yes, we are so pro-gay! That's why we made a toy deal with a religious fast food chain without doing five minutes of research!"

I'm not sure what is wrong with a calculated business move that supports equality

There is absolutely no way to know the reasons for this. The only thing we actually know is that they publicly denounced a homophobic statement by Chik-fil-a, and pulled all their deals with that company. If that isn't laudatory then I don't know what is.

I think regardless of whether or not this was a move I think this statement is still a pretty big one. And this was made back in 1993.

It was the Moment of Zen on the Daily Show yesterday.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-july-23-2012/moment-of-zen---larry-king-interviews-miss-piggy?xrs=share_copy

• Options

This just seems like sneering at some guy for being a homophobe last year after he very recently came out as supporting LGBT stuff. Stuff that's in the past is in the past. What someone or something does now is more important than then.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    a) That's grody as hell.
    b) KFC is owned by Yum! Brands, which also owns Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and WingStreet

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    I fucking love taco bell.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Because it's logically inconsistent. If you gave a crap about a certain minorities, then you would have done the token amount of research necessary when making a deal with another company to see if they aren't funneling cash to oppress said minority. As has been oft-said in this thread: Chick-fil-A's history with anti-gay groups is not even remotely hard to find.

They publicly denounced Chick-fil-A because the public response to this situation has been largely negative. They didn't want the Chick-fil-A boycotts to extend to their products as well. They did the right thing for the wrong reason. I'm not going to burn them at the stake or stop buy their crap, but I'm also not going to be gushing about how awesome they are.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    a) That's grody as hell.
    b) KFC is owned by Yum! Brands, which also owns Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and WingStreet

who's strongly affiliated by PepsiCo

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Hm. Googling that thing Sweeney posted has revealed to me that MillerCoors received a Matthew Sheppard Foundation award a few years back.

Totally buying some Peroni, Blue Moon, or Leinenkugel this weekend.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Just saw this:

Now this, on the other hand, much more directly comes off as a cold blooded business move than what the Hensen Company did.

• Options

This just seems like sneering at some guy for being a homophobe last year after he very recently came out as supporting LGBT stuff. Stuff that's in the past is in the past. What someone or something does now is more important than then.

this and also there's no proof that the Henson Company isn't pro-QUILTBAG besides "they made a deal with chik-fil-a"

like you know this deal probably came about because chik-fil-a makes money so we should make a deal with them to make money, right

and then oh shit what no bad idea abort abort

• Options
    DessartDessart Registered User regular

I just spent a few months living with some gay guys that were quick to spitfire than to just protest peacefully. So uh I guess that isnt a huge portion of people

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    So how 'bout them marriage laws. How 'bout if you are an American and you get gay married overseas, your spouse can come live with you in America. Wouldn't that be cool? Yeah I think it'd be pretty cool.

I am deeply disappointed in Nabisco for not actually producing sextuple stuffed rainbow flavored oreos. I would do a lot of stuff to get me some of those. Weird stuff.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    I am curious if the Oreo thing actually resulted in a sales increase. I know there were a bunch of dumb people saying they were going to boycott it, but at least on my Facebook everyone just said that they were going to buy more Oreo cookies because of that.

I said I would

but I didn't, cause I don't think my body would tolerate it

I think you are already at maximum saturation level of Oreos buddy.

I was the last time you saw me, but no more! I'm even wearing the same shorts and they make me feel like Bruce Banner after a Hulk bender
    Ih that's boss man.

Running my hands over your sick abs will be on the list of things to do next month.

don't rub too hard, there's gonna be liquor in there

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options

Because it's logically inconsistent. If you gave a crap about a certain minorities, then you would have done the token amount of research necessary when making a deal with another company to see if they aren't funneling cash to oppress said minority.

i don't think companies make a habit of doing this

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I need to move out of America. Christ.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Just saw this:

Zing.

• Options
    Just saw this:

Now this, on the other hand, much more directly comes off as a cold blooded business move than what the Hensen Company did.

It's actually not KFC or Pepsi's idea. People saw that Huckabee wanted August 1 to be National Chik-Fil-A Day, so people countered that by making this image telling everybody to go to KFC instead as a boycott.

• Options
    If you want a company that did something worth praise, then look at Oreo. They took a lot of crap for recognizing Pride Week, and there wasn't any real money tied up in it. I'm sure some guy acknowledged how dynamite it would be for PR in the long-term, but it still feels less forced than the Henson thing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

I just spent a few months living with some gay guys that were quick to spitfire than to just protest peacefully. So uh I guess that isnt a huge portion of people

Dude while I agree with you in principle, I would not blame non-straight people for wanting to kick peoples' arses either

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    If you want a company that did something worth praise, then look at Oreo. They took a lot of crap for recognizing Pride Week, and there wasn't any real money tied up in it. I'm sure some guy acknowledged how dynamite it would be for PR in the long-term, but it still feels less forced than the Henson thing.

what if you don't think the henson thing feels forced

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Just saw this:

Why would I subject people I like to KFC?

• Options
    They need to make a rainbow Oreo and sell it.

Don't be a cock tease. Make it and I will buy it.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Forced? I think it's a great idea to call out bigoted organizations.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
This discussion has been closed.