Options

US Congressional Elections 2012: Scott Brown, Diviner of Ancestry!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I half suspect the purpling of Texas is people from blue places moving here!

Don't believe it is a trend that will hold.

Basically, what I'm saying is stop moving to Texas, liberals. You're going to fuck up a good thing!

I have to believe that you are being facetious when you suggest that liberals could possibly make a state which removed critical thinking teaching from its curriculum over the fear that it might encourage students to question what teachers and parents tell them, worse.

The "state" did not do that.
    Yet.

It's just in the platform of the party running the state.

yawn. Obama hasn't taken our guns yet either. He's just running the nation and the leader of the party that wants to.

Why do you believe this to be true?

Obama has actively relaxed gun control laws, while the presumptive Republican nominee signed several new gun control laws as Governor of Mass.

So why do you believe Obama has any intention of taking your guns?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Basically, what I'm saying is stop moving to Texas, liberals. You're going to fuck up a good thing!

I have to believe that you are being facetious when you suggest that liberals could possibly make a state which removed critical thinking teaching from its curriculum over the fear that it might encourage students to question what teachers and parents tell them, worse.

The "state" did not do that. The stupid and pointless Texas Republican party platform states opposition to some educational programs (HOTS) that they believe are bad because the platform writers are dumb and have no accountability.

The state legislature isn't even in session, won't be until the end of next year, and if it were, it would have only minimal ability to make any change to curriculum because that power is devolved in large part to the individual district school boards and to the administrations running the robust, nationally acclaimed charter schools here.

But yeah, if progressives got enough power to destroy the charter schools (as they tried to do in the last legislative session), they would certainly make Texas worse.

Except that studies have shown that charter schools are actually having a net negative effect on education.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Right, Obama won't actually take away our guns, just like Texas representatives won't actually remove critical thinking from teh curriculum.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://www.inouye.senate.gov/news/press-releases/statement-by-senator-inouye

From the office of "Go Fuck yourself Mike Kelly"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Yet.

yawn. Obama hasn't taken our guns yet either. He's just running the nation and the leader of the party that wants to.

I know you're not actually stupid enough to believe Wayne LaPierre's masturbatory money-grubbing propaganda. The sad part is, you're willing to spout his lies in a sad attempt to bolster your moronic argument.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    It's truly a pathetic state of affairs when people would rather vote based on the unfounded fear of a constitutionally-protected amendment's abolition than the very real precedent of institutionalized anti-intellectualism.

• Options
    It's truly a pathetic state of affairs when people would rather vote based on the unfounded fear of a constitutionally-protected amendment's abolition than the very real precedent of institutionalized anti-intellectualism.

I would think the second part probably leads to the first, at least in Texas.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I would think the second part probably leads to the first, at least in Texas.

Nah. Holy-rollers aren't too stupid to know the difference.

The D-K Effect doesn't apply when your control group is being moronic on purpose.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Daniel Inouye is probably one of the most, if not the most, kick ass person to ever serve in congress and is a hero of mine.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Daniel Inouye is probably one of the most, if not the most, kick ass person to ever serve in congress and is a hero of mine.

Holy shit!

"Inouye was promoted to the rank of sergeant within his first year, and he was given the role of platoon leader. He served in Italy in 1944 during the Rome-Arno Campaign before his regiment was transferred to the Vosges Mountains region of France, where he spent two weeks in the battle to relieve the Lost Battalion, a battalion of the 141st Infantry Regiment that was surrounded by German forces. He was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant for his actions there. At one point while he was leading an attack, a shot struck him in the chest directly above his heart, but the bullet was stopped by the two silver dollars he happened to have stacked in his shirt pocket.[8] He continued to carry the coins throughout the war in his shirt pocket as good luck charms until he lost them shortly before the battle in which he lost his arm.[9]

Inouye as a Lieutenant in the U.S. Army
    On April 21, 1945, Inouye was grievously wounded while leading an assault on a heavily-defended ridge near San Terenzo in Tuscany, Italy called Colle Musatello. The ridge served as a strongpoint along the strip of German fortifications known as the Gothic Line, which represented the last and most dogged line of German defensive works in Italy. As he led his platoon in a flanking maneuver, three German machine guns opened fire from covered positions just 40 yards away, pinning his men to the ground. Inouye stood up to attack and was shot in the stomach; ignoring his wound, he proceeded to attack and destroy the first machine gun nest with hand grenades and fire from his M1 Thompson submachine gun. After being informed of the severity of his wound by his platoon sergeant, he refused treatment and rallied his men for an attack on the second machine gun position, which he also successfully destroyed before collapsing from blood loss.

As his squad distracted the third machine gunner, Inouye crawled toward the final bunker, eventually drawing within 10 yards. As he raised himself up and cocked his arm to throw his last grenade into the fighting position, a German inside fired a rifle grenade that struck him on the right elbow, severing most of his arm and leaving his own primed grenade reflexively "clenched in a fist that suddenly didn't belong to me anymore".[10] Inouye's horrified soldiers moved to his aid, but he shouted for them to keep back out of fear his severed fist would involuntarily relax and drop the grenade. As the German inside the bunker reloaded his rifle, Inouye managed to pry the live grenade from his useless right hand and transfer it to his left. As the German aimed his rifle to finish him off, Inouye managed at last to toss the grenade off-hand into the bunker and destroy it. He stumbled to his feet and continued forward, silencing the last German resistance with a one-handed burst from his Thompson before being wounded in the leg and tumbling unconscious to the bottom of the ridge. When he awoke to see the concerned men of his platoon hovering over him, his only comment before being carried away was to gruffly order them to return to their positions, since, as he pointed out, "nobody called off the war!"[11]

The remainder of Inouye's mutilated right arm was later amputated at a field hospital without proper anesthesia, as he had been given too much morphine at an aid station and it was feared any more would lower his blood pressure enough to kill him.[12]"

He pried a grenade from his own dead hand to use against the enemy? And then had to have an amputation without drugs because he had already had too many? How the fuck is this guy not in charge of everything ever?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

Yet.

What you're talking about:
    We recognize that the right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we will preserve Americans’ Second Amendment right to own and use firearms. We believe that the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation, but we know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact and enforce common-sense laws and improvements-–like closing the gun show loophole, improving our background check system, and reinstating the assault weapons ban, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Acting responsibly and with respect for differing views on this issue, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe.

What I'm talking about:
    We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

See, you're comparing what the Republicans have said that they want to do based on their stated goals with what batshit insane people have stated Barack Obama wants to do based on wild conjecture.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    TTODewback wrote: »

Holy shit!

"Inouye was promoted to the rank of sergeant within his first year, and he was given the role of platoon leader. He served in Italy in 1944 during the Rome-Arno Campaign before his regiment was transferred to the Vosges Mountains region of France, where he spent two weeks in the battle to relieve the Lost Battalion, a battalion of the 141st Infantry Regiment that was surrounded by German forces. He was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant for his actions there. At one point while he was leading an attack, a shot struck him in the chest directly above his heart, but the bullet was stopped by the two silver dollars he happened to have stacked in his shirt pocket.[8] He continued to carry the coins throughout the war in his shirt pocket as good luck charms until he lost them shortly before the battle in which he lost his arm.[9]

Inouye as a Lieutenant in the U.S. Army
    On April 21, 1945, Inouye was grievously wounded while leading an assault on a heavily-defended ridge near San Terenzo in Tuscany, Italy called Colle Musatello. The ridge served as a strongpoint along the strip of German fortifications known as the Gothic Line, which represented the last and most dogged line of German defensive works in Italy. As he led his platoon in a flanking maneuver, three German machine guns opened fire from covered positions just 40 yards away, pinning his men to the ground. Inouye stood up to attack and was shot in the stomach; ignoring his wound, he proceeded to attack and destroy the first machine gun nest with hand grenades and fire from his M1 Thompson submachine gun. After being informed of the severity of his wound by his platoon sergeant, he refused treatment and rallied his men for an attack on the second machine gun position, which he also successfully destroyed before collapsing from blood loss.

As his squad distracted the third machine gunner, Inouye crawled toward the final bunker, eventually drawing within 10 yards. As he raised himself up and cocked his arm to throw his last grenade into the fighting position, a German inside fired a rifle grenade that struck him on the right elbow, severing most of his arm and leaving his own primed grenade reflexively "clenched in a fist that suddenly didn't belong to me anymore".[10] Inouye's horrified soldiers moved to his aid, but he shouted for them to keep back out of fear his severed fist would involuntarily relax and drop the grenade. As the German inside the bunker reloaded his rifle, Inouye managed to pry the live grenade from his useless right hand and transfer it to his left. As the German aimed his rifle to finish him off, Inouye managed at last to toss the grenade off-hand into the bunker and destroy it. He stumbled to his feet and continued forward, silencing the last German resistance with a one-handed burst from his Thompson before being wounded in the leg and tumbling unconscious to the bottom of the ridge. When he awoke to see the concerned men of his platoon hovering over him, his only comment before being carried away was to gruffly order them to return to their positions, since, as he pointed out, "nobody called off the war!"[11]

The remainder of Inouye's mutilated right arm was later amputated at a field hospital without proper anesthesia, as he had been given too much morphine at an aid station and it was feared any more would lower his blood pressure enough to kill him.[12]"

He pried a grenade from his own dead hand to use against the enemy? And then had to have an amputation without drugs because he had already had too many? How the fuck is this guy not in charge of everything ever?

I'm shocked his balls don't hold a separate elected office all on their own.

shryke on
  • Options
    http://blogs.indystar.com/politics/2012/08/01/oops-republicans-follow-judge-not-candidate/

Republican fail train continues in Indianna, as one of their stalkers accidentally follows a Judge and not Joe Donelley. In a move that can only come from a butt hurt republican, he blames the judge.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular

The "state" did not do that. The stupid and pointless Texas Republican party platform states opposition to some educational programs (HOTS) that they believe are bad because the platform writers are dumb and have no accountability.

The state legislature isn't even in session, won't be until the end of next year, and if it were, it would have only minimal ability to make any change to curriculum because that power is devolved in large part to the individual district school boards and to the administrations running the robust, nationally acclaimed charter schools here.

But yeah, if progressives got enough power to destroy the charter schools (as they tried to do in the last legislative session), they would certainly make Texas worse.

Except that studies have shown that charter schools are actually having a net negative effect on education.

LIBRAL studyz. Everyone knows you can't trust those damn aca.. acad... sciency types.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

Yet.

We recognize that the right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we will preserve Americans’ Second Amendment right to own and use firearms. We believe that the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation, but we know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact and enforce common-sense laws and improvements-–like closing the gun show loophole, improving our background check system, and reinstating the assault weapons ban, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Acting responsibly and with respect for differing views on this issue, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe.

What I'm talking about:
    We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

See, you're comparing what the Republicans have said that they want to do based on their stated goals with what batshit insane people have stated Barack Obama wants to do based on wild conjecture.

Don't worry, @spool32 won't respond to this.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Yet.

Why do you believe this to be true?

Obama has actively relaxed gun control laws, while the presumptive Republican nominee signed several new gun control laws as Governor of Mass.

So why do you believe Obama has any intention of taking your guns?

I don't believe it to be true. My point was to highlight how stupid it is to criticize based on something that hasn't happened yet and shows no signs of ever happening.

This is why I've cut my posting in these threads so dramatically. Dude posts something factually wrong. I correct it. Thanatos ( or someone else) makes a smartass comment, I respond in kind, and everybody fucking piles on me.

If I had said nothing, the original, completely wrong, comment would have stood and folks in the thread would nod along oh yes that Texas, so terrible how they banned critical thinking!

Excuse me, again, for questioning the fucking confirmation bias in a tone that gets all the forum blowjobs when the progressives posters do it.

• Options

Yet.

What I'm talking about:

No, ,I'm comparing your wild conjecture to some other wild conjecture.

I don't believe Obama wants to ban guns but members of his party certainly do, and have done so in cities around the country, including the one where he lived.

• Options

Yet.

I know you're not actually stupid enough to believe Wayne LaPierre's masturbatory money-grubbing propaganda. The sad part is, you're willing to spout his lies in a sad attempt to bolster your moronic argument.

I don't even know who that person is. I'm making an equally moronic argument to Than's walk bsck from the factually incorrect to the merely speculative, not putting forward an actual position.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Yet.

What I'm talking about:

I don't believe Obama wants to ban guns but members of his party certainly do, and have done so in cities around the country, including the one where he lived.

Why is it wild conjecture if it is an explicitly stated goal of the Texas Republican party?

Taramoor on
  • Options

Yet.

What I'm talking about:

o_O

What "wild conjecture?" That because the Texas Republicans have said "banning the teaching of critical thinking in schools is one of our policy priorities," written it down, signed it, and passed it by committee, I think they're going to try to ban the teaching of critical thinking in schools?

And last I checked, you could still buy and own guns in Chicago. Last I checked, you have always been able to buy and own guns in Chicago. So, unless you have a reliable source that says something to the contrary, I have to assume that you are the one making the wild conjecture.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    http://blogs.indystar.com/politics/2012/08/01/oops-republicans-follow-judge-not-candidate/

Republican fail train continues in Indianna, as one of their stalkers accidentally follows a Judge and not Joe Donelley. In a move that can only come from a butt hurt republican, he blames the judge.
    Holland told The Indianapolis Star he still questions whether it was Salinas in the car, and not Donnelly.

He also argued that he ended up being the driver that was chased. He discounted Salinas’ statement that he was afraid, saying if the judge is worried about being attacked he shouldn’t have a license plate that spells out his last name.

“I think that it was a set-up,” Holland said.

Don't retreat. Reload.

• Options

Yet.

What I'm talking about:

o_O

What "wild conjecture?" That because the Texas Republicans have said "banning the teaching of critical thinking in schools is one of our policy priorities," written it down, signed it, and passed it by committee, I think they're going to try to ban the teaching of critical thinking in schools?

And last I checked, you could still buy and own guns in Chicago. Last I checked, you have always been able to buy and own guns in Chicago. So, unless you have a reliable source that says something to the contrary, I have to assume that you are the one making the wild conjecture.

Yes, I'm saying that it is foolish to think that the fringe in control of the party platform, which no one ever reads and no one ever uses to advance policy or plan a legislative agenda, is going to have any success convincing legislators in the state to do anything found within, and no success at all, ever, ever, ever, in convincing a legislator to support something in the platform because it is in the platform.

It is a meaningless document designed to placate the fringe.

Also, handguns were banned for many, many ears in Chicago until the SCOTUS stepped in recently, and the city government continues to obstruct the exercise of that individual right. Likewise Democrats in DC city government continue to obstruct that right, and in NYC a de facto ban exists wherein legal gun ownership is tied to patronage and political connections.

Banning individual gun ownership is not a position held by all Democrats in local and state government, but it is a position held by some.

• Options

Yet.

What I'm talking about:

Why is it wild conjecture if it is an explicitly stated goal of the Texas Republican party?

Because no one in any position of authority or influence the party looks to the platform for guidance or uses it to formulate any policy.

• Options

Yet.

What I'm talking about:

o_O

Yes, I'm saying that it is foolish to think that the fringe in control of the party platform, which no one ever reads and no one ever uses to advance policy or plan a legislative agenda, is going to have any success convincing legislators in the state to do anything found within, and no success at all, ever, ever, ever, in convincing a legislator to support something in the platform because it is in the platform.

Also, handguns were banned for many, many ears in Chicago until the SCOTUS stepped in recently, and the city government continues to obstruct the exercise of that individual right. Likewise Democrats in DC city government continue to obstruct that right, and in NYC a de facto ban exists wherein legal gun ownership is tied to patronage and political connections.

Banning individual gun ownership is not a position held by all Democrats in local and state government, but it is a position held by some.
    By that definition of "guns being banned," guns are banned in the entire country, because according to the NFA, you can't own short-barreled shotguns or machineguns.

And the platform is written by the people in charge of the party; it's a legislative roadmap for what they hope to achieve. It's literally the only thing declaring what your party fucking stands for, so if it's meaningless... well, then your party must not really stand for anything.

• Options

Yet.

What I'm talking about:

Because no one in any position of authority or influence the party looks to the platform for guidance or uses it to formulate any policy.

So your position is, quite literally, "how dare you take us at our word!"?

I guess it's not a big deal that the Dems are adding a same sex marriage plank, then.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    That is a ridiculous handwave at best, Spool.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Yet.

What I'm talking about:

Obviously you're completely ignorant of the policies instituted by the Texas Board of Education.

• Options
    Guys lets remember for years the GOP has a plank in their platform about removing abortion rights and I think we all know how they didn't follow that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Yet.

What I'm talking about:

o_O

By that definition of "guns being banned," guns are banned in the entire country, because according to the NFA, you can't own short-barreled shotguns or machineguns.

And the platform is written by the people in charge of the party; it's a legislative roadmap for what they hope to achieve. It's literally the only thing declaring what your party fucking stands for, so if it's meaningless... well, then your party must not really stand for anything.

Here is the list of platform committee members. Please find the leaders of the party in this list.

Chairman Tom Mechler
    Bradley Bailey- SD 11
    Thomas Bratcher- SD 22
    Hank Hering- SD 1
    Renee Stoltenberg- SD 12

Stephen Broden- SD 23
    Pamela Derr- SD 2
    Bonnie Lugo- SD 13

Lila Ward- SD 24
    Jonathan Covey- SD 3
    T.J. Scott- SD 14

Beverly Nuckols- SD 25
    Warren Allen Martin- SD 4
    Richard Franklin Dillon- SD 15

Herbert Jamieson- SD 26
    Debbie Pipes- SD 5
    Liz Case- SD 16

Anuar Maycot- SD 27

Mary Jones- SD 6
    Roman Klein- SD 17
    Lance Cansino- SD 28
    Mark Ramsey- SD 7
    William Proctor- SD 18

Mack Casner- SD 29
    Susan Fletcher- SD 8
    Arturo Martinez De Vara- SD 19

Deon Starnes- SD 30
    Jube Dankworth- SD 9
    Angie Flores-Granado- SD 20

Nelson Spear- SD 31
    Georgia Stapleton- SD 10

Randy Blair- SD 21

(hint: there aren't any party leaders in this list)

Maybe in your state it's a legislative roadmap. In Texas it's a prisoner of the extreme right that has been referenced by TPM and Rachel Maddow more than it will ever be used by anyone in Texas state government.

• Options

Yet.

What I'm talking about:

No, my Argument is that the platform is not written by 'us', where 'us' means Texas Republicans.

• Options
    The Texas Republican Party is a prisoner of the extreme right. That's what the fucking Tea Party is.

• Options
    ethicalseanethicalsean Registered User regular
    Obviously you're completely ignorant of the policies instituted by the Texas Board of Education.

...or the state legislature refusing to use our rainy day fund designed originally to stave off severe cuts to education while they made historic cuts (the "Texas Miracle"). Then high ranking members such as Dewhurst actively intervened at the local level to prevent school districts from raising taxes to minimize these historic cuts... or the head of Texas Education Administration (Perry appointee) resigning after calling out the states' nonsense with the new testing standards.

Whatever the party line says, the Republican party's actions and statements show they do not want to fund a public education system in the first place. They've already made arguments and assurances to make further cuts in the next legislative session, and they've elected enough new derp to make it so.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Then get your party in line. The platform is how a party is selling itself.

You don't get to be a political party and put out a list of THESE ARE THE THINGS WE BELIEVE and then turn around and have your members go "You think we're serious?"

That, frankly, is a bigger problem than the actual text of the platform.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Also, yes, the chairman of the state party is, by definition, a leader of your party. If he's not influential, that's your own damn fault for picking him.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The reason Inouye is not in charge of everything is because oddly enough incredible bravery and utter bad assitude does not translate into having good policy ideas or being an excellent judge of character. He's a pretty conservative Democrat and his best friend in the Senate?
    Ted Stevens.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Guys lets remember for years the GOP has a plank in their platform about removing abortion rights and I think we all know how they didn't follow that.
    The reason Inouye is not in charge of everything is because oddly enough incredible bravery and utter bad assitude does not translate into having good policy ideas or being an excellent judge of character. He's a pretty conservative Democrat and his best friend in the Senate?
    Ted Stevens.

Damn it, well its still an amazing story.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Right, + several million points for being awesome - a couple for being politically douchey.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Then get your party in line. The platform is how a party is selling itself.

You don't get to be a political party and put out a list of THESE ARE THE THINGS WE BELIEVE and then turn around and have your members go "You think we're serious?"

That, frankly, is a bigger problem than the actual text of the platform.

Really. Really the party platform is how it's selling itself?

You sat down with a printout and a cup of coffee one morning back in 2008 and, after a thorough reading, you decided "hey, this is the party for me in the next election"?

That's how it went down?

Come on. Nobody reads the platform but policy wonks and political rabble-rousers. It is a non-thing. When this little brouhaha (started, let me remind you again, by someone completely wrong on the facts that none of you cared to correct) is over, no one will care about the platform ever again until a partisan rabble rouser (thanatos et al) needs another zinger to try and, well, rouse the fucking rabble.

• Options
    The Texas Republican Party is a prisoner of the extreme right.

Increasingly true.

• Options

Yet.

What I'm talking about:

No, my Argument is that the platform is not written by 'us', where 'us' means Texas Republicans.

And yet you signed 'your' name to it, endorsing it as 'your' policy platform.

No, 'you' don't get to disown this epic shit sandwich of a policy platform just because it's now politically inconvenient. It's all 'yours'. Take a big bite, and savor the flavor.

This discussion has been closed.