As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new STEAM Thread!

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Even a game like Windows 8 Minesweeper has achievements.
    Now Valve is adding non-gaming content to Steam.
    Next step seems obvious and I think Gabriel will be pleased with it.

QEb0U.gif

Sweet flare!

subedii on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Nexuiz, from my understanding, was originally a GNU license Arena FPS based on the Darkplaces engine (which is a sourceport of the Quake engine). It's supposed to be one of the really good ones, up there with another one you may have heard of called Warsow. This game on Steam doesn't seem to have much to do with that Nexuiz, instead it's built on CryEngine 3. Apparently only one of the original guys (maybe more, I'm not sure) from the Nexuiz team has anything to do with the retail CryEngine based game. The rest of the team forked the Darkplaces based Nexuiz into a new project called Xonotic.

What I've taken away from this is that there are a ton of kick ass Arena FPS out there that run on solid open source engines that I can play for free.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    I have a spare Defense Grid key if anyone wants it.

First PM takes it, unless someone happens to offer a Firefall beta invite in trade!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    To this day some of my friends and I will shout at each other, "HE'S GETTING POINTS!"

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    O_o

It's got a fucking horn man.

I'm so disappointed in you.

Yeah, but the extra syllables in "unicorn" or "magic horse" ruin the snappiness. Also unicorns are pretty much still horses just like narwhals are still whales.

/unicorn scientist

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    So Maplestory is now on steam.

I'm actually surprised Nexon put their huge money maker on there, since steam'd take a cut then.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    So Maplestory is now on steam.

I'm actually surprised Nexon put their huge money maker on there, since steam'd take a cut then.

Oh man, I may be sucked back in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    So whats maple story like?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Stregone wrote: »
    Grind: The MMO.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    O_o

Yeah, but the extra syllables in "unicorn" or "magic horse" ruin the snappiness. Also unicorns are pretty much still horses just like narwhals are still whales.

/unicorn scientist

original.jpg

Pega-Uni-Bear does not approve!

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    O_o

/unicorn scientist

original.jpg

Pega-Uni-Bear does not approve!

That's so pretty.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    a Beareasusicorn!

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular

Pretty much this.
    If you want to feel rewarded by grinding through the games harsh leveling with gear, multiple class trees, mounts and bosses. This is pretty much the game. Back when I played I was proud of my level 40 Crossbowmen because it took a pretty long as time to get there.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    is Dungeons at 80% off worth it? like...what kind of games would i enjoy to also enjoy Dungeons? I enjoy orcs must die (1 and 2), i also enjoy rpg's, action, adventures, strategy...hmm that may be too vague.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    The dungeons games have demos, probably a good idea to give them a spin.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »

Pretty much this.
    If you want to feel rewarded by grinding through the games harsh leveling with gear, multiple class trees, mounts and bosses. This is pretty much the game. Back when I played I was proud of my level 40 Crossbowmen because it took a pretty long as time to get there.

It's sort of awesome for about four hours. Then the grind kicks in and you start coming to areas where everyone is mostly just sitting around attacking the same things over and over.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Buy space rangers because its Nethack + Asteroids + text adventure game + space zombie bots + whatever you call the real space travel.

I already love it on gog. Might be better on GOG with no DRM.

Sweet jesus this is one of the coolest games ever. I can't believe I never heard of it.

Does your race matter at all when you make your Ranger?

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I think Kill Hitler + 2 Rifles is the funniest DLC name I've seen yet outside of Rainslick's Fanfiction pack. It's so straightforward. And then the screenshots...Hitler through a scope, one gun, the other gun, boom, done, wrap.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Undecided about a purchase, I've decided to enlist the aid of some classy gentlemen.

Magicka keeps telling me to buy it, but I get the feeling it's not worth the time just for single player. It's wicked cheap and all, but if it's only fun coop/multiplayer I'll use the money for an extra coolata or something.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Buy Magicka.

Join Penny Arcade group chat.

Ask if people want to play Magicka with you.

Instantly full game.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    But they're strangers. I shouldn't talk to strangers. :oops:

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Buy space rangers because its Nethack + Asteroids + text adventure game + space zombie bots + whatever you call the real space travel.

Holy cow, that does sound awesome.

I love you STEAM thread!

edit: oh wait there's a sequal and an expansion and European all-in-one versions. I don't know what to buy now.

I've played the original and enjoyed it. I haven't heard good things about the sequel's addition of real time strategy to retake planets. Pics i've seen show you as being in control of a robot army.

• Options
    Looks like Robot Entertainment fixed the issues with Hero Academy and it should be releasing tomorrow.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Just got an email from gmg saying my Darksiders 2 purchase will be downloadable on the 10th. It is the tenth here already. I am EXCITE!

I'm in the UK so the game doesn't actually unlock till the 21st, is there anyway free way to make stream think I'm in the US so I can get it quicker?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Just got an email from gmg saying my Darksiders 2 purchase will be downloadable on the 10th. It is the tenth here already. I am EXCITE!

I'm in the UK so the game doesn't actually unlock till the 21st, is there anyway free way to make stream think I'm in the US so I can get it quicker?

I'm giddy like a school girl. At some point in the last few months, Darksiders 2 has become my most anticipated game of the year.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Preloading noooooooooow. My first preload. I am giddy.

• Options

Is it a key you're getting from another site or did you prepurchase from Steam?

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

Is it a key you're getting from another site or did you prepurchase from Steam?

key from gmg.com

• Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Everything I hear about Nexuiz is that it's inferior to Warsow but I am going to give the free weekend a whirl anyway since I'm sick of Quake Live and it's hard to find anybody playing Warsow anymore (let alone a server under 100 ping)

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Someone tell me how to win at Binding of Isaac. Because this game is horribly addicting but total cheapo bullshit.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Someone tell me how to win at Binding of Isaac. Because this game is horribly addicting but total cheapo bullshit.

Find the secret room on every floor.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It'd be nice if your purchase history in Steam had links of the whomever gifted you a particular item.

I know I can just search my email for it, but it'd be nice.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    You used to be able to see it, back when the gift history was a separate interface. But now that they integrated it into the inventory, you can only see what you sent

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Find the secret room on every floor.

More like do mostly everything on every floor. Twice if you can.

Like, clear every room. Find the secret room. Scum the arcade.

Also, damage > health. Devil room has some items that are usually worth getting.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So, Magicka looks kinda fun. Would you guys recommend buying the standalone game, or go for the DLC package?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Buy it standalone to see if you like it first.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Ok, feelin' good about this run. Just made a deal with the devil to become a black demon that shoots lasers of blood.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Don't get hit.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Sweet jesus this is one of the coolest games ever. I can't believe I never heard of it.

Does your race matter at all when you make your Ranger?

So there's the eggheads, the thieves, the beatnics, and the assholes. The race you choose determines how much the planets of these races dislike you. Its hard to say how much it will matter since the galaxy is randomized each time, so the race you choose might not matter in one game, but in the next, the assholes are taking up prime real estate in the middle of a sector that is a cosmic choke point.

I haven't really gotten the balance of things, but do buy maps to expand your view of the galaxy and try to salavage as much klissian things as you can.

Trading in their goo gets you XP from the space ranger station (if they don't blow them all to hell) and trading in their tech advances the research ending (assuming those don't get blown to hell).

Their tech is always better, its just harder to get because they are using it.

There are 2 ending I know about and 1 that I never got a chance to explore.

Kill their queen

Help build something to talk to them and politely ask them to leave

Something to do with pirates, I'll let you figure that out yourself. Ask around some beatnic planets and then talk to people at a pirate base.

Doing quests will sometimes give you bonus gear and medals for being awesome.

Clicking the paper clip in the trade window will save the prices at the bottom of your screen.

• Options
    Ok, feelin' good about this run. Just made a deal with the devil to become a black demon that shoots lasers of blood.

Nope, giant boss killed me.