As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new STEAM Thread!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Can't wait to see what the Bad Rats of application gifting ends up being.

Origin

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Someone needs to create an application called "Irate Vermin Photo Fun" which allows you to place slightly racist rats into pictures of your choosing. Then sell it for $1.00. Much gifting would ensue.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Origin

Zing!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    I think some sort of spin-off service that shares some of the underlying features of Steam would be brilliant, but mashing business software and games together? That seems like a big mistake to me.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Steam's stance on the Universal Widescreen (UniWS) Patcher is? Is it ok to use it? I just started PoP:SoT and I'd like to try to get it into widescreen if possible.

It shouldn't be a problem, I used it for kotor with no issues

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

Origin

GFWL_logo.jpg

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Steam's stance on the Universal Widescreen (UniWS) Patcher is? Is it ok to use it? I just started PoP:SoT and I'd like to try to get it into widescreen if possible.

I dunno their stance on it and don't use widescreen, but ShiftWindow lets you resize windows however so I assume it could handle Widescreen...maybe possibly...and then you just close it, doesn't patch anything. But then maybe it can't do widescreen for whatever reason, just thought I'd mention it as a possible alternative.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Lawndart wrote: »

Origin

GFWL_logo.jpg

Microsoft_Bob.PNG

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Has anyone heard how Pricing is going to work with tomorrow's Hero Academy release? Are we getting a free army to start with or...?

It'll work functionally identically to the iOS version.

You'll use the same account, so if you've purchased any teams on iOS you'll have them here as well. Likewise once you activate your account on PC you'll unlock the TF2 team for use across all devices.

For a "fresh" account, you'll just start out with the one free team everyone gets along with the bonus TF2 team.

• Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Has anyone heard how Pricing is going to work with tomorrow's Hero Academy release? Are we getting a free army to start with or...?

You'll use the same account, so if you've purchased any teams on iOS you'll have them here as well. Likewise once you activate your account on PC you'll unlock the TF2 team for use across all devices.

For a "fresh" account, you'll just start out with the one free team everyone gets along with the bonus TF2 team.

So Hero's Academy is F2P? I don't own any iOS devices so I am unfamiliar to say the least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't think there has been any definitive word on if the PC version will be F2P, but the iOS app is.

• Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    R0land1188 wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

So Hero's Academy is F2P? I don't own any iOS devices so I am unfamiliar to say the least.

This does look like a neat game. I love tactical strategy, so this seems right up my alley. Also, if it is F2P I hope the uncrackables aren't too difficult to come by.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Robot Entertainment commented on the trailer for it that it's going to have a base price. No word on that actual price yet though.

• Options
    My bet is on it being pretty cheap then.

I'll say five bucks.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Either way it appears the game is going to be delayed by a few days

Probably a week given a few days would put them on the weekend.

• Options
    DahkathDahkath Registered User regular
    Krummith wrote: »
    This does look like a neat game. I love tactical strategy, so this seems right up my alley. Also, if it is F2P I hope the uncrackables aren't too difficult to come by.

If it's similar to the IOS version, there is no unlocking of the other team without some monies. It's not a F2P in the sense that eventually, you can earn enough to unlock it. You get a base team (which is really quite good) as well as the new TF2 team, and the Dark Elves/Dwarves are extra coin.

Really tempted to pick this up, even though I've got it already on IOS. Such a great little time waster!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Why is everyone's Steam sig broken?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    The Secret World has now hit the storefront.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    You know, the concept of Steam selling Excel isn't too far-fetched, since they've been selling Hearts Of Iron III for three years now.

• Options
    pricerpricer Registered User regular
    For a great deal of my audio software, it's loaded to the hilt with dongles, limited installs and other clandestine DRM measures etc. - so the potential, however meagre, of having steamworks powered apps would be fascinating - as well a more convenient upgrade path as it would effectively be patched in akin to DLC rather than a separate upgrade disc. While I'm sure there will be a way for developers to keep their existing DRM systems and still sell on Steam - have there been any gaming examples of developers changing their previous policies to get on or driven by Steam/Steamworks (ala dropping a 5-install limit). Also, I'm pretty sure I can use my steam account on another system, so would I be able to do the same with applications with single user licenses (Adobe)?

76561197967313421.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    You know, the concept of Steam selling Excel isn't too far-fetched, since they've been selling Hearts Of Iron III for three years now.
    You mean because EVE Online is for sale :D

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Did Steam just take a crap for anyone?

Also does Steam allow Paypal to buy things?

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Yep. It's been acting weird for an hour now.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Scheduled maintainance.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Things are going to get weird if non-game applications get achievements.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Microsoft Excell: Use the program correctly.

Nobody would get that achievement.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    Microsoft Excell: Use the program correctly.

Nobody would get that achievement.

Hey man, those pie charts arent going to turn into boobs all by themselves.
    Thats what youre supposed to use Excel for right?

• Options
    Microsoft released Ribbon Hero for Excel, which effectively applied achievements to Excel on a path to teaching your certain functions. The first one was a surprisingly good training tool, especially if you want to gauge a new starter or temp. They tried a little too hard on the second version and a little bit of the "wrong way/right way/Microsoft way" crept into it - so only if you used their new shiny feature would it recognize the process as complete, but still it proved achievements in apps isn't as odd as it sounds.

76561197967313421.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Finished American Nightmare!

Yep, some good game there. The little differences from Alan Wake really threw me for a while, stuff like the flashlight no longer passively burning shadows (though the insane recharge rate makes up for it - I never needed to replace a battery) and aiming it no longer snaps to an enemy. These are both improvements, I think - makes things a little more hectic, and I certainly got overwhelmed a whole lot more on American Nightmare's normal than I ever did in Alan Wake's nightmare mode.

On the story
    the time loop aspect totally works. I wasn't sure at first, but yeah - really paid off, especially the third time you set the scene for the satellite fall. Maybe it was just my order of doing the objects, but the third and final time, the song was all distortion right up til the satellite hit, then the song kicked in, and it was awesome.

It lost the tense horror tone from the original, but that wasn't an accident at all - the new varieties of Taken made it feel much more like a b-movie or Twilight Zone ep, and I guess that's exactly what they were going for.

Kinda bummed Mr Scratch appears to die, but I guess if this is just some fantasy sidestory Alan wrote while trying to escape the cabin, then he's actually gonna be alive and well in Alan Wake 2.

Also! I may have missed the significance of the new Old Gods song; Barry wrote it, and it played in the final version of the observatory fight, but was it the signal they had been trying to receive? If not, how come it played there (other than to repeat the rad Children Of The Elder God moment.)

So, totally recommended. If it goes on sale again, grab it, even if you haven't played/aren't interested in the main game. It plays better, and the story is a total disconnect, so don't worry about it! :D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    pricer wrote: »
    Microsoft released Ribbon Hero for Excel, which effectively applied achievements to Excel on a path to teaching your certain functions. The first one was a surprisingly good training tool, especially if you want to gauge a new starter or temp. They tried a little too hard on the second version and a little bit of the "wrong way/right way/Microsoft way" crept into it - so only if you used their new shiny feature would it recognize the process as complete, but still it proved achievements in apps isn't as odd as it sounds.

Microsoft Word: NaNoWriMo - Write 50,000 words in a single document during the month of November.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular

Microsoft Word: NaNoWriMo - Write 50,000 words in a single document during the month of November.

I've failed 3 years in a row. :(

• Options
    "Reynholm Industries" achievement: Turn it off & on again (1000 points)

76561197967313421.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012

They also released an addon for Visual Studio that adds achievements. Yes, complete with leaderboards.

So, you know, in case you really want validation for writing 10 overloads for a class method. Pro programming++. (or the one for getting five cuss words in your source, but that's like giving a medal for breathing, so it doesn't really count.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I want Steins;Gate on Steam, you jerks(Valve). :(

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So some random person on steam has invited me to join the ENCOM group. I could join it I guess, but I don't really want to. The question I have, is how do I now get rid of the green "new invite" icon on my steam browser?

Edit: Nevermind somehow I missed the ignore option previously.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Bioshock now finished and knocked off my list. Have to admit, it was good but got very long in the tooth near the end and I just wanted the game to end. Now that it has, I'm not in the mood to move on to 2 any time soon.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I can do that in like... twenty seconds.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I can do that in like... twenty seconds.

I would assume that cut and paste wouldn't count.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    What about spamming the A key and the space bar?

aa a a a a aa a aa a a a a a a a a aa a a a a a a a a a a aa a a a a a aa a a a aa a a a a a a a a a a a