As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Transformers] Bay4mers dooms humanity in 2014.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    oh, come on

they'll probably kill hardshell instead

ugh, prime

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    I hope they end up moving Sakamoto far away from the next Metroid game.

I have a feeling he'll get more involved on the next one, thinking that he didn't convey his vision right and that's why Other M flopped.

it's the weirdest thing
    because he's been there since the beginning, so you figure hey, maybe this guy is why all the metroid games are at least pretty good

nope it turns out he's actually an insane misogynist

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    the Prime writers are jaw-droppingly bad at their jobs

I mean, they truly suck

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

I have a feeling he'll get more involved on the next one, thinking that he didn't convey his vision right and that's why Other M flopped.

it's the weirdest thing
    because he's been there since the beginning, so you figure hey, maybe this guy is why all the metroid games are at least pretty good

It might be because, up until Other M, the only times Samus talked were in text in both Fusion and Super Metroid. It was well done in Fusion, however, every other Metroid game had no talking and most of the story conveyed through cut scenes and journal entries.

His view of Samus differed vastly from the players' because it was left pretty open.

That and it seems that a tsundere character is popular in Japan now-a-days? That's what the kids like, right?*
    *Probably the line of thinking as well.

• Options
    watching some more G1

today's episode had Zombie Optimus

and the ending narration

"Is this the end of Optimus Prime? Find out on tomorrow's episode: the Return of Optimus Prime!"

huh

with a title like that, anything could happen!

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    that's from the re-airing of the episode

they had to edit that for the traumatized children who saw zombtimus prime

• Options
    zombtimus prime was the best

"oh hey, my old pals are back'

"but it's really a QUINTESSON TRICK! KILL THEM ALL!"

"QUINTESSONNNNNNNNNNS!"

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »
    so uh

there's an extended description for Hurt
    spoilers, obv
    Still reeling from the near-fatal experience Bulkhead faced at the hands of Hardshell during the last relic hunt, Wheeljack and Miko decide to take matters into their own hands and leave to hunt down Hardshell to exact revenge for their friend.
    lebowskigoddammit.gif

It's not like Kevin Michael Richardson is hurting for work. Hell, they could probably bring him back voicing a new character in two episodes. And if an Autobot actually died--aside from Cliffjumper, who let's face it, the Rock ain't doing a weekly kid's show, no shock there--it might be a sign that the writers finally found their balls again.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    so uh

there's an extended description for Hurt
    spoilers, obv
    Still reeling from the near-fatal experience Bulkhead faced at the hands of Hardshell during the last relic hunt, Wheeljack and Miko decide to take matters into their own hands and leave to hunt down Hardshell to exact revenge for their friend.
    lebowskigoddammit.gif
    i want my no-prize.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    If the GameCube hadn't used those stupid proprietary discs and played DVDs like the ps2 did, it might be a different ballgame. The ps2 was kind of instrumental in kicking off mainstream DVD usage.

In fairness, the PlayStation 2 and 3 were the only systems to play their respective formats out of the box, because Sony was trying to do just what you describe. In the case of the Xbox and 360, those required external proprietary devices to play DVD and HD-DVD.
    Dichotomy wrote: »

it's the weirdest thing

He bounces back and forth, depending on what he thinks an entry needs. Hence the change from Fusion to Zero Mission to Other M. I'll have to dig for the interview, but I have a feeling that if he did do another, it would be closer to the Metroid norm.

Yeah, here we go (spoiled for length):
    During the development of Metroid Fusion, I took into consideration the fact that we’d have players who would be picking up a Metroid title for the first time and tried to make the game easy for them. Nine years had passed since the release of its predecessor, Super Metroid on the SNES, and I figured the type of gameplay in Metroid (wandering around, lost, while searching for secret passages) would be pretty rough on beginners. That’s why I instead chose to emphasize the dramatic aspects and use the game’s story to motivate people to keep playing. I also adjusted the degree of difficulty by restricting the players’ movements, thereby ensuring the game wouldn’t get too hard. In contrast, Metroid: Zero Mission, which we’re currently developing, is a remake based on the original Metroid, so it brings the series’ original style of gameplay closer to the surface.

I experimented with putting some monologues by Samus in Metroid: Fusion in order to put some importance on the drama, but I still don’t know whether it’s right to be taking the series in that direction. I think the true fun of Metroid lies in spending time searching for secret passages and getting yourself hopelessly lost. That’s why I started out by choosing to emphasize the story in Fusion, and now I’m showcasing Metroid’s roots in Zero Mission. If I don’t continue releasing games that feature Metroid’s origins and games that feature Metroid’s story, I won’t get any ideas about where to go next.

Even while we were making of Super Metroid for the SNES, I stuck stubbornly to my decision that there wouldn’t be any dialogue, no matter what. I have to stick to my guns for Zero Mission, as well. It’s too easy to have players wandering around a huge map, indifferent to their surroundings. I have to find a way to spice things up a bit and stimulate their brains. If all we do is extract the essence of Metroid over and over again, every game we release will turn out exactly the same. I try to challenge myself by focusing on developing a new gameplay mechanism every time in order to avoid complaints like that.

I've also seen it suggested that it's the other developers at Nintendo who have helped keep him in check before, and with Other M completely outsourced to other companies...

Really, in a way, I have to hand it to Sakamoto. Yes, he screwed up-- royally. But at least he's not afraid to try new things, nor is he afraid to go back to what works when need be. With stuff like New Super Mario Bros. and other games playing it too "safe" for some peoples' tastes, I think it might be good to have someone like this there.

Mind, I reserve the right to change my mind if he tries to continue pushing the Other M style after this, but something tells me he won't...

At the same time, I think his stance on Samus as a bounty hunter sucks. No one is perfect.

Oh, that is such a fond childhood memory for me, because I remember that episode scaring the shit out of me as a kid. It helped that my parents never took me to see the movie, so just about all I knew of it was what they showed at the beginning of "Five Faces of Darkness." Plus, it was one of those dark and stormy days when it came on... so awesome in hindsight.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Spoilers for "Out of the Past", another Prime ep
    "When Arcee is unexpectedly brought back into the company of an old friend, they discover together that Decepticon has been scheming behind their backs an elaborate plan with the intentions of destroying the Autobots and claiming his victory."

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    no way

a decepticon's been scheming to destroy the autobots!?

I feel like I'm missing something in that description

• Options
    well
    I'm guessing it's a flashback episode or something involving Cliffjumper/Tailgate

maybe a new autobot

and I'm guessing Shockwave's coming soon

• Options
    I am watching prime right now

animation is very good

lots of potential, but overly cautious writing prevents it from being anything except decent.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    no way

a decepticon's been scheming to destroy the autobots!?

I feel like I'm missing something in that description
    I can see it now.

One Vehicon at a bulletin board. Turns to another.

"Vern, I had an idea."

"Yeah?"

"We kill the Autobots. "

"Shit! That's what we've been doing wrong!"

Then the second one turns to the crowd

"Guys! Maybe we should kill the Autobots instead of dying!"

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Alright, here they are, the Knockoff Quartet.

kovm.png

They actually look pretty good, right? Everything pegs together surprisingly well!

kobg.png

And here's KO Brushguard's face right out in the open. Robots in Disguise man, c'mon!

korbgw.png

KO Rollbar...stop messing around and get out of Gerwalk mode. It's time to show off the robot modes.

korm1.png

korm2.png

Like I said, surprisingly good. Especially for $2 each.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    i dig

• Options
    Just noticed I forgot to adjust KO Hound's head in vehicle mood. Whoops.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    just beat up soundwave

curb stomped his little tape recorder things

this is a fun game

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular

I was one of those children. Optimus Prime's death was the first time a movie made me cry.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    i remember crying really hard when i thought smokescreen died in Armada

same with my brother

smokescreen was a gift from my uncle, one of my first transformers

i cry a lot honestly, i cant remember the first time i cried at a movie

Antimatter on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    1986 was a tough year for animated movies - Transformers AND American Tail.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    gat damn american tail

that was a film

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    They actually look pretty good, right? Everything pegs together surprisingly well!

kobg.png

And here's KO Brushguard's face right out in the open. Robots in Disguise man, c'mon!

Isn't that from Overhaul's toy in Cybertron? Unless the KO changed it, the head should be able to rotate and hide the face.

korm1.png[/quote]

Again, it might be the KO thing, but Rollbar's side-panels should be able to fold back flat against his body.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    i'm guessing it's them being KO in both cases

they change molds for no obvious reason

• Options
    Yeah, KO Brushguard has no head swivel, unlike the real thing. It's just one piece.

KO Rollbar can fold those big chunks back, but the ball joints for his arms only really go up and down. So his arms would only be able to point straight out at his sides, like that.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I vaguely remember seeing the Transformers movie when I was a kid (I was six in 1986) but the only bit I could remember was Optimus dying.

Didn't watch it again until late last year sometime.

The beginning is the best part and then the whole thing completely falls apart in terms of narrative flow and tension. By the time, Sharkycons (or whatever) were jumping around, I was barely able to recognize it as the same movie I'd started forty five minutes beforehand.

That and Rodimus sucks. God does Rodimus suck.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but at least he knows it. G1 Rodimus Prime's whole thing is that he knows he's not cut out for the job. It's such a core part of the character that even hate plague-infected Rodimus Prime is able to shake off the effects of the spores that literally every lifeform in the galaxy is helpless against for a second or two when Optimus shows up and dangles the carrot of him going back to Hot Rod the Carefree Fisherbot in front of him.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Hot Rod or Rodimus Prime, for clarification?

Personally, I like both, but I'm not blind as to why either wouldn't be for some people.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    TFCC Subscription details up.

$282 for all 6 figures plus shipping or three payments of $94. Each payment requires a $3 processing fee.

So I dunno.

• Options
    that's a nope.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    just shy of fifty bucks apiece for six deluxes, huh

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    yep, 47 bucks for a deluxe. not happening, not even for black convoy/scourge or circuit.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Well, 5 deluxes and Ultra Mammoth.

But still.

• Options
    help me

I've stumbled into a youtube comment section full of weirdos who have a thing for starscream

I'm really scared

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    help me

I've stumbled into a youtube comment section full of weirdos who have a thing for starscream

I'm really scared

Step AWAY from youtube comments, BugBoy.

I know it's scary, but as long as you DON'T EVER READ THE COMMENTS AGAIN, you should be alright.

• Options
    years of mental recovery will be needed

• Options
    Schide wrote: »
    Well, 5 deluxes and Ultra Mammoth.

But still.

okay fair he's an ultra

still, that's maybe 40 bucks at most

but that still leaves 242 bucks to split five ways

which actually increases the price of the deluxes to $48.40

• Options
    BugBoyXStarscream OTP

This discussion has been closed.