As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hong Kong [chat]

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    If you're having troll problems I feel bad for you son I got 99 Problem? but a troll ain't one.

ahem

once again

is that a challenge?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I feel like I disagree enough with the Democrat party line to not be considered a Democrat

But then again there are Democrats who are even further from being what I'd think of a Democrat, so...

Go check out your state party platform. Research candidates in your area.

But yeah, if you're in a closed primary pick one of the two real parties.

Primaries are important, that's where you can steer the party in one direction or the other.

The general might be "lesser of two evils" if you like to feel smart, but the primary should be where you let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Hmm, aqauvit doesn't taste green.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Time to find out the mystery behind "why anyone thought Raman spectroscopy was going to answer all my problems forever" rather then just be another checkmark of "things which don't work".

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

This building is creeping me the fuck out right now

I see nothing creepy. What's weird about it?

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    While we're on the subject, you have to vote locally to vote for the Presidency, right? Does anyone know what we'd have to vote for on the local level?

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

The uneven architecture and weird angles causes the light to play on it in such a way the building almost looks like it's coming unhinged, like a dilapidated post-apoc structure filled with horrors unseen.

Or maybe he's just afraid of giant cocks

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I feel like I disagree enough with the Democrat party line to not be considered a Democrat

But then again there are Democrats who are even further from being what I'd think of a Democrat, so...

Right-leaning Democrats call themselves Blue Dogs to indicate that they don't agree with the party about everything.

Why not come up with a colorful name of your own to describe your deviation from the party platform?

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I have pretty much everything I need to start writing - I have a setting, I have characters, I have themes I want to touch upon

I just don't have a plot

I'm at a loss.

Write it anyway. Write something. Anything. It will be shit because you don't have a plot. You have to accept this and write anyway. And then either rewrite it later or just accept that it is crap and write something else.

This is being a writer. I used to want to do it and now I've stopped, because it is hard and I don't enjoy it.

Boardgame design I do enjoy, and will continue to do forever as a hobby, even if no-one ever publishes one of my games.

If you want to create you just have to do it anyway even if it will probably suck.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

It has weird angles in no discernible pattern.

It just bothers me right now for some reason. I'm really tired

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    While we're on the subject, you have to vote locally to vote for the Presidency, right? Does anyone know what we'd have to vote for on the local level?

State offices, county offices, municipal offices. Judges, state constitutional amendments, bond issues, county, municipal issues.

Local government and state government are also the parts of government that have the most direct impact on your life.

In Florida each county has a supervisor of elections and their websites will have sample ballots you can use to research who is running.

Departments of State are the departments responsible for running elections in every state I believe, so if you don't have county or muni level electoral offices that should be your first step.

Get informed. Get involved.

Vote or shut your goddamn mouth.

I'm AManFromEarth and I approved this message.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i am not not-drinking in order to deny myself pleasure. it is not an ascetic thing.

• Options

It has weird angles in no discernible pattern.

It just bothers me right now for some reason. I'm really tired

That's fair. I was just curious.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I have pretty much everything I need to start writing - I have a setting, I have characters, I have themes I want to touch upon

I just don't have a plot

I'm at a loss.

Write it anyway. Write something. Anything. It will be shit because you don't have a plot. You have to accept this and write anyway. And then either rewrite it later or just accept that it is crap and write something else.

This is being a writer. I used to want to do it and now I've stopped, because it is hard and I don't enjoy it.

Boardgame design I do enjoy, and will continue to do forever as a hobby, even if no-one ever publishes one of my games.

If you want to create you just have to do it anyway even if it will probably suck.

I'm used to it as a former art major - but I know I can't do what I want to do with drawing/painting etc. and it wouldn't convey my ideas anyway. I really don't have the skills necessary to ever do justice to the idea I have (that's everyone's problem, isn't it?), but I thought at the very least writing would get it all on paper.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If you're having troll problems I feel bad for you son I got 99 Problem? but a troll ain't one.

Ah, dear sweet Cambiata. Immune to trolls.

One day soon, a handsome gent will strike up a conversation with her in a coffee shop and the two will hit it off. They'll go on a date later that week with the full works - dinner, dancing, a movie. The second date is even better than the first and so on and so on, two peas in a pod. After a year, the two are married. "Oh, hey, Cambiata my dear, hang on a sec. I want to let my friends on the Penny-Arcade boards know the wedding went off without a hitch."
    "Oh, get out of town! You post on the PA boards, too? What's your username!?"
    Frankiedarling
    darth_vader_noooo1.jpg

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    i am not not-drinking in order to deny myself pleasure. it is not an ascetic thing.

oh this again? come on man ignore these people.

• Options
    I am an ascetic

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

I just don't have a plot

I'm at a loss.

I'm used to it as a former art major - but I know I can't do what I want to do with drawing/painting etc. and it wouldn't convey my ideas anyway. I really don't have the skills necessary to ever do justice to the idea I have (that's everyone's problem, isn't it?), but I thought at the very least writing would get it all on paper.

You ain't never gonna get there til you start.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So, my nephew's mom, who abandoned him as a 6 month old baby, is dying of AIDS. She's got about a week left according to her doctors. My mom was crying even though my mom got treated miserably by this woman. Me, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Nothing right now. Not sure I'll feel more than that later.

EDIT: Just so you guys know, she contracted AIDS long after Damon was born. Damon is 15 now.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    I am an ascetic

I am a meat Popsicle.

• Options
    Zombie I'm trying to work on my writing too. Good luck to you.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

You are back in the Springs right? Your ballot will be local for El Paso county. If you want to get a mail in ballot just send in a request to the county electoral board. Colorado all ballots come from your county and are under the purview of the Secretary of States office. Who is a complete dick btw, but that is for another time.

Here is the link to the election office for you.

http://www.epcounty.com/elections/

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

I just don't have a plot

I'm at a loss.

You ain't never gonna get there til you start.

True, but without even a vague idea as to a plot it's kind of hard to start. I would meander aimlessly and never accomplish anything. There's putting pen to paper because you have to eventually, and then there's writing without any kind of purpose. I feel like the latter will not make me a better writer.

I won't sit here meticulously planning out every plot point but I need something. I just haven't figured out what.

It's okay though. This idea has been incubating in my head longer than most ever have (possibly all of them), and new stuff keeps entering my mind as time goes on, so I'm not too worried about finding. I'd rather have a plot first instead of everything else, though.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Meandering is just exercise. You'll be better for it. Sure you won't like it buy it is just exercise.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

You are back in the Springs right? Your ballot will be local for El Paso county. If you want to get a mail in ballot just send in a request to the county electoral board. Colorado all ballots come from your county and are under the purview of the Secretary of States office. Who is a complete dick btw, but that is for another time.

Here is the link to the election office for you.

http://www.epcounty.com/elections/

Thank you and @Ludious thanks to you as well. Have you started yet?

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, my nephew's mom, who abandoned him as a 6 month old baby, is dying of AIDS. She's got about a week left according to her doctors. My mom was crying even though my mom got treated miserably by this woman. Me, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Nothing right now. Not sure I'll feel more than that later.

EDIT: Just so you guys know, she contracted AIDS long after Damon was born. Damon is 15 now.

Fuck.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I am pitching a new reality show to NBC to fill a gap in their summer lineup. I plan to follow the lives of eight Brooklyn women as they compete with one another to see who can fabricate the greatest number of dependents to defraud the new york state welfare system. I call it

Queen of Kings

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

I just don't have a plot

I'm at a loss.

You'll get skills by doing the work though. And that is the only way really. Classes just facilitate the act of writing.

I think it really comes down to whether you enjoy writing or have the drive to do it regardless. I tried and failed for decades. What I wrote was good, it did OK. But I just hated writing so much that I wrote very little.

Now, designing boardgames, it's a different thing entirely. I made a card game based on the Iliad. It was not great, but it was alright and it looked good. That was like my apprentice piece. I learned a lot doing it.

I am not trying to demotivate you. I'm just saying write anyway. Write the unskilled shite. Write a page of drivel.

'The man was a bad man and he hurt people because he was bad. The people he hurt we're unhappy because he hurt them...'

Write a page of shite.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

One day soon, a handsome gent will strike up a conversation with her in a coffee shop and the two will hit it off. They'll go on a date later that week with the full works - dinner, dancing, a movie. The second date is even better than the first and so on and so on, two peas in a pod. After a year, the two are married. "Oh, hey, Cambiata my dear, hang on a sec. I want to let my friends on the Penny-Arcade boards know the wedding went off without a hitch."
    Frankiedarling
    darth_vader_noooo1.jpg

Pfffft. This will never happen because soon I will run away to be a hermit lady in the mountains, growing my own medicinal herbs and scaring away locals.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    I am pitching a new reality show to NBC to fill a gap in their summer lineup. I plan to follow the lives of eight Brooklyn women as they compete with one another to see who can fabricate the greatest number of dependents to defraud the new york state welfare system. I call it

Queen of Kings

booooooooooooo :v:

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    what should i do for dinner

• Options

I just don't have a plot

I'm at a loss.

You'll get skills by doing the work though. And that is the only way really. Classes just facilitate the act of writing.

I think it really comes down to whether you enjoy writing or have the drive to do it regardless. I tried and failed for decades. What I wrote was good, it did OK. But I just hated writing so much that I wrote very little.

Now, designing boardgames, it's a different thing entirely. I made a card game based on the Iliad. It was not great, but it was alright and it looked good. That was like my apprentice piece. I learned a lot doing it.

I am not trying to demotivate you. I'm just saying write anyway. Write the unskilled shite. Write a page of drivel.

'The man was a bad man and he hurt people because he was bad. The people he hurt we're unhappy because he hurt them...'

Write a page of shite.

I appreciate the advice but I'm aware of the process. I didn't mean to suggest I didn't know how to write (well, I don't, but I know how to improve). As I said earlier though, without any kind of structure at all, I'm doing the equivalent of scribbling on a piece of paper - it won't make me a better artist.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Are there any poor or homeless people around you whom you feel will not be missed?

Form of Monkey! on
  • Options

I had two roast beef with swiss cheese sandwiches and my sister had cheese, store-bought, pizza.

we were both pleased with our meals.

I may make that three sandwiches in a minute, actually.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    9IGZA.jpg

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

It isn't a clean death. People do shitty things in life. But really dying of the co-infections with AIDS is painful, demeaning and sad. I would probably send condolences and at least help talk to your mom.

Related but not directed at you...

How the fuck is she dying of AIDS in a first world country? Treatment is available. Did she refuse treatment? Did she never ever get tested? Is she refusing any last ditch treatment to get your CD4+ count up while also minimizing the secondary infection? Was she never in the system? Is she transient? This bugs me big time.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    my last two posts are not related

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Frankiedarling
    darth_vader_noooo1.jpg

Pfffft. This will never happen because soon I will run away to be a hermit lady in the mountains, growing my own medicinal herbs and scaring away locals.

Hmmm, yes. The old chick from the movie Cold Mountain was badass, indeed.

"What are they going to do? End my young life?"

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I am trying to try to write but I can't

And now I physically can't because of carpal tunnel

• Options
    my last two posts are not related

Yeah I was gonna say, you probably shouldn't eat that lil' guy. ;)

This discussion has been closed.