Options

MSPA: Hussmaster A raises 2 million trillion bajillion dollars

• Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    ewq,rnqweroizxuvxcvawteradfa racism clownwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Every time I am tempted to read a comments section of any website ever I stop myself, get a powerdrill, and drill a hole in my hand.

Same general feeling, less wasted time.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Nah, don't be afraid to write as is natural for you. It's certainly no bad thing to want to intentionally add diversity to your setting/characters, but keep in mind the usual offensive of adding diversity for diversities sake is those characters aren't defined by anything except that diversity. They're not really characters. That's the offense of your token black character, as gerome shows. If you're going to have black characters or whatever, they need to be people, not cardboard stand-ins or caricatures.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    ever since tumblr started blowin' up i've been wondering

when can you write a terrible character

like people got really mad at hussie cause vriska picked on tavros cause he was in a wheelchair

and i'm thinkin well she's a terrible person
    she an awful person she's not supposed to treat tavros with any respect
    she's supposed to be downright nasty to him

do people think that hussie was like well i sure do hate people who can't walk i'd better shove that prejudice into one of my characters let's go wiiiiith...vriska

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    ever since tumblr started blowin' up i've been wondering

when can you write a terrible character

like people got really mad at hussie cause vriska picked on tavros cause he was in a wheelchair

and i'm thinkin well she's a terrible person
    she an awful person she's not supposed to treat tavros with any respect
    she's supposed to be downright nasty to him

do people think that hussie was like well i sure do hate people who can't walk i'd better shove that prejudice into one of my characters let's go wiiiiith...vriska

Well, I figure most creators realize that the most vocal critics don't necessarily represent the majority of the audience.

Like most of the idiots on tumblr existed before, it's just before tumblr it wasn't as easy for them to build up an echo chamber, since tumblr combines the long-form writing of a blog with the easy to share/reblog features of sites like Twitter and Facebook.

If all those people you mentioned above created a message board, there would probably be like 10 active posters talking about how awful Hussie is. Whereas in tumblr it's easy for one dude to post something, the 10 people who agree with them to reblog it, and then it goes from there since "agreeing" just involves the click of a button without really a lot of thought being put into it.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Yeah some of them probably

Some people out there don't understand that a good character doesn't need to be a morally good character. You get problems when they're portrayed as morally good characters, but doing terrible things. It's usually pretty clear when a writer agrees with what a morally bad character is doing.

This wasn't the case with Hussie, and love her or hate her, Vriska was a good character. But she's never been a morally good character, and that was always clear. Her whole thing was being a terrible person and having the chance at redemption through her conversations with John, but eventually making a bad call and paying the price. She's kind of the reverse of your fall from grace tragic hero type.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    can we talk about nancy grace's twitter account instead because oh my god she has the best hashtags

#toofattodie
    #crockpotwifekiller
    #babyindryer
    #pregnantmommystery

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    yeah but also it was pretty funny how awful tavros' life was

the joke was on one level that his life was terrible because he was disabled

like it's not just that vriska is the worst, it's also that we derive a vicarious amusement from watching a crippled dude suffer, while simultaneously ackowledging that that's a horrible thing to think is funny

which i can see how you might be offended by? but also terrible things are often funny, that's how we deal with terrible things, and it is unreasonable to get offended every time people joke about it

especially since so much of hussie's sense of humour revolves around really horrible fucked-up shit

like, jack noir kills a bunch of people, it's often played for laughs, does this mean hussie is trivializing stabbings? would you get offended on behalf of people who have been stabbed? check your not-having-been-stabbed privilege bro

• Options
    One of the things that struck me when I was doing Drunkstuck (which was the first time I really re-read Act 5 in its entirety) is how little empathy I had for Tavros the second time around. Yeah, the dude's situation sucks but he does very little to help himself.

But hey, him and Vriska weren't killed in Lord English's big dream bubble massacre, so there's still a chance.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    who's this we you're talking about

• Options
    everybody who has and ever will post in this thread

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm not really sure where Hussie is going with this new Vriska Tavros thing. Vriska's story has been told, and it is so far (in my opinion) the best (certainly most complete) story of the whole dang thing, and Tavros is kind of a whatever character.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    I think Hussie just likes Vriska and wants to keep writing for her.

• Options
    Wonder if it turns out that we never hear anything further from it the entire remainder of Homestuck and that whoops she's the star of the game.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the comic's shifting a lot of focus toward the afterlife

which is where vriska is

so it makes sense that she'd resurface

• Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    Vriskaquest 2013: Nepeta can fuck ooooooooffffffff!!!!!!!!

• Options
    tavros and vriska are just tooling around in the afterlife right

i figure at some point they're going to run into dave and rose and the trolls and there will be a big dramatic moment

she's the kind of character who winds up sacrificing herself to save the world and achieve some kind of redemption but honestly i would be just as happy if she never learnt any kind of lesson and remained a huge bitch forever

• Options
    i hope she becomes the star so i can revel in the lamentations of all her haters

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Well, not exactly. The comic is shifting focus to other characters/events who are important to the building story. They just happen to be in the afterlife. Given the nature of dreambubbles, it would not be unusual at all to never encounter Vriska a single time throughout.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Whyther wrote: »
    Vriskaquest 2013: Nepeta can fuck ooooooooffffffff!!!!!!!!

confession time

I am actually one of the 10K level donators

the fantroll I have publicized is a ruse

guess what

is actually going to happen

>B33

you all had best fucking prepare yourselves for the >B33

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Well, not exactly. The comic is shifting focus to other characters/events who are important to the building story. They just happen to be in the afterlife. Given the nature of dreambubbles, it would not be unusual at all to never encounter Vriska a single time throughout.

well i mean Lord English's whole motivation is apparently to tear through the afterlife and double-kill his sister

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The joke with Tavros is how terrible a normal human being would have it on Alternia.

Karkat also acts like a human, but is aware enough of how shit works to stay above water.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    vriska is literally the best

• Options
    oh god i'm trapped in a negative polarity universe

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    so you're

right at home?

• Options
    i'm supposed to be out of place in an entirely different way

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so guys

let's talk some more about vriska

the greatest character in homestuck

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    shout

shout

let it all out

these are the things i could do without

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    can we talk about nancy grace's twitter account instead because oh my god she has the best hashtags

#toofattodie
    #crockpotwifekiller
    #babyindryer
    #pregnantmommystery

is that woman seriously still on television

I can't believe anyone would listen to her after the Duke thing

• Options
    vriskappreciation thread

everyone list the thing you like most about vriska

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    A cynical person might interpret that thought as a little bit racist in and of itself, because of the teeth and glasses. You kinda can't ever win with justifications and this stuff.

That totally sucks. I thought the buck teeth were visual shorthand for braces. That both John and Jade had buck teeth (braces) and glasses I took as further visual shorthand signifying that the two were related, and also related them to Nanna And Sassacre, who also had buck teeth and glasses. That they wear glasses is less 'problematic' when taken in the context of just how many other characters wear glasses or other eyewear. I actually thought it was nice that there were so many characters that wore glasses. Wasn't glassesstuck a meme during the troll arc?

When are John and Jade getting their braces taken off?

• Options
    I don't get that? I had braces but not buck teeth.

• Options
    vriskappreciation thread

i like how she messes with the disabled

one day i too wish to mess with the disabled

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Where would Jade get braces on Hellmurder island?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    vriskappreciation thread

she has nice hair

Adus on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I like Vriska's sense of style

rocket shoes, yeah!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I don't get that? I had braces but not buck teeth.

That's why I said 'visual shorthand'. Buck teeth are the sort of thing you get braces to correct. I'd swear I'd seen it used as visual shorthand before.

I will be so happy if Vriska comes back. I like her because she's cool. She's got cool eyes and cool powers and a cool robot arm and cool rocket boots and her blood color is a pretty shade of blue and her hair is all long and crazy and cool. Also she's rich and has a cool house on the beach and she's a bitchin' pirate and she don't take no guff. And she's got so much sass. She don't get bossed around, nuh-uh. She does things her way and is all crazy ambitious and sets out to get what she wants and she actually does stuff in the story.

8->

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I like Vriska cos she helped John.

I dislike Terezi because she killed John that one time, then killed Vriska. Who's next, Dave?! (I mean again, cos she got him killed that one time already.) She's playing the long game of killing all the best characters and is secretly Lord English.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    muse you're all right

• Options
    if vriska were real i bet muse would totes wanna smooch her and get married and junk

EzUAYcn.png
This discussion has been closed.