Options

Games You Never Saw Again -- B.F.F. Edition

h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Has there ever been a game you lent to a friend or co worker and never say again?

When I was in the 5th grade I let my friend Joey A. borrow one of my favorite Gameboy games; Super Mario Land: Six Golden Coins. I was supposed to get it back during our usual get togethers over the summer break. But he never answered his phone again and totally disappared. Nobody ever found out what happened to him and I know it's been over 15 years but I just wanted to say ...

Joey,
bestbuddy.jpg

Unless your dad worked for the CIA or your dead.

If so,
panda011.jpg

Coolest Guy I Know
h8b1llg8ts.gif
sig.gif
MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
h8b1llg8ts on

• Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jet Force Gemini, with my 100% complete file. D:

Fortunately I found a second copy for very cheap.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lion King for Megadrive/Genesis...
    I lent it to a friend and he lent it to his neighbour without asking me for permission! And then he lost it! Fucker!

*cries*

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My first college roommate borrowed my copy of Final Fantasy Tactics overnight to play at his girlfriend's apartment. He never came back.

It took me 8 months to find another copy. I hope hermit crabs slowly eat his eyes.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm pretty sure I've been one of those guys, actually. I think my friend's copy of SML is somewhere in my parent's house...

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I lent a friend of a friend We <3 Katamari. I saw him a couple times a bit after that, and then I haven't seen hide nor hair of him for almost a year.

As some kind of weird karma however, somehow I got another copy of the original Katamari. I've asked pretty much everyone I know and none of them say it's theirs. The universe works in mysterious ways.

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My first disc for System Shock 2.
    It fucking vanished.

VANISHED.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Final Fantasy 9. Let some douchebag in my geography class borrow it and I've never seen it since. Motherfucker.

Shogun on
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    ChrisDude wrote: »
    I lent a friend of a friend We <3 Katamari. I saw him a couple times a bit after that, and then I haven't seen hide nor hair of him for almost a year.

As some kind of weird karma however, somehow I got another copy of the original Katamari. I've asked pretty much everyone I know and none of them say it's theirs. The universe works in mysterious ways.
    D: Me too.
    Well, the first part anyways.

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My friend and I were going to "trade games until we beat them"

I gave him my shitty copy of Dead or Alive.

he gave me splintercell.

I have severed all ties, changed my name, and moved to the moon. He will never get it back.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Final Fantasy, the first one, dude fucking OD'd, how the hell am I supposed to get it back now?

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Loot his corpse.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mishra wrote: »
    FInal Fantasy, the first one, dude fucking OD, how the hell am I supposed to get it back now?

Have a shovel?

Invisible on
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Invisible wrote: »
    Mishra wrote: »
    FInal Fantasy, the first one, dude fucking OD, how the hell am I supposed to get it back now?

Have a shovel?

I don't think he was buried with it. I think that bastard had my Super Mario world with 100% completion too.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    Lion King for Megadrive/Genesis...
    I lent it to a friend and he lent it to his neighbour without asking me for permission! And then he lost it! Fucker!

*cries*

Same exact thing with me and Metal Gear Solid 2 :<

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I never, ever, lend out my games. Ever.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I had some jack hole that was on my High School football team want to "buy" my Sega Saturn from me, since I had recently grabbed a 64. But before that, he wanted to borrow it to see if he liked it. I wouldn't let that slide.

So, my neighbor slash friend loaned him an SNES with Final Fantasy III, Chrono Trigger, R-Type 3, and one of the Gradius games, and several others (Lethal Enforcers was included in there with the gun, I think.) It was a setup. Guy moved off with his parents a few years back and my friend never got his games back.

Chad Hurd.

Had another guy that was supposed to be my friend, to the point where I let him crash on my couch for a few months. Well, I guess he got bad on drugs or something, broke into my place and took an iBook, Gamecube, Tales of Symphonia, Wind Waker, and several other games.

Duane Ibitson.

I know you'll be back this Christmas. I will find you.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

wryyyyyyy

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    PmoneyPmoney Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I come back from college, and begin looking at my ps2 collection. I notice Katamari 1,2 and Guitar Hero 2 are all missing. Ask my much younger brother "WTf?", and he says he has no idea.

Fast forward two months. My brothers is at his best friends house and they start playing Katamari. My brother notices a memory card in the case with our name on it. His friend says "Oh you must have left it here..." He also conveniently has Katamari II and Guitar Hero, but the friend is "sure he bought those..."

Its been all summer and my games havn't turned up. A 12 year old is about to catch an elbow.

With his teeth.

Pmoney on
    Steam : Pmoney
    360 : ThePmoney
    Battle.net: Pmoney.thereal
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Who cares if you lost a game with 100% completion? You already did everything, you don't need to play the game ever again. Does it matter that much to you to prove to people you got 100%? That's really weird.

I lent Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest to some way older kid who hung out with me to rook magic cards in bad trades. I'm not too broken up about it.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Who cares if you lost a game with 100% completion? You already did everything, you don't need to play the game ever again. Does it matter that much to you to prove to people you got 100%? That's really weird.

...O_o

Because I enjoyed the game? Getting 100% in that game was a pretty big feat, and I had everything unlocked for multi as a result. It was fun. Do I need a reason beyond that?

I was unaware that 'itt: we throw away games when we beat them'

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't find the first disk for Rome: Total War /cry

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In fifth grade I lent a friend Mario Kart 64, and he stopped being friends before he gave it back (less than a year later). I would tell him to give it back to me every time I saw him in school but he insisted that it got lost when they were renovating his house. I called bullshit, but eventually lost interest. It still sucked though.

bruin on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I win:

I lent ALL of my N64 Games (including my N64) to my neighbor. (She was hot, and I was in high school... I'd do anything to get a hot girl to talk to me).

I went out of town for two days, TWO DAYS. I came back and they'd moved out. Including all 30 of my N64 games (Which had the Gold edition of Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask).

D:

I hate girls now because of her.
    She did have a nice rack though. D:

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

...O_o

Because I enjoyed the game? Getting 100% in that game was a pretty big feat, and I had everything unlocked for multi as a result. It was fun. Do I need a reason beyond that?

I don't even know what Jet Force Gemini is, so maybe it has replay value that makes it worth keeping

I'm mostly thinking of something like Super Mario World which, although great fun, I would probably put aside after 100%.

Either way I'm sure your game was better than Mystic Quest

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You are dead to me, good sir.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

...O_o

I don't even know what Jet Force Gemini is, so maybe it has replay value that makes it worth keeping

I'm mostly thinking of something like Super Mario World which, although great fun, I would probably put aside after 100%.

Man... Everyone hates Mystic Quest, but me. I loved that game. D:

urahonky on
  • Options
    GageGage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A small list of things I've loaned out but never saw again..

for SNES:
    Street Fighter II
    Final Fantasy II US
    Final Fantasy III US
    Zelda: LttP
    UN Squadron

Entire Dreamcast console, 2 controllers, 2 VMUs (luckily i found another DC on ebay for $30)
    Many DC games along with it.

My original '89 Gameboy. The screen was smashed somehow by my friend.
    Quite a few Gameboy games.

Blaster Master and Metal Gear for NES. I'm sure there are a few other NES games I've lost.
    One NES MAX controller.

Fallout 2 for PC.

Damn this is depressing. I should have hung around with less careless friends.

Gage on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

...O_o

Man... Everyone hates Mystic Quest, but me. I loved that game. D:

I loved it at the time

But it was like Final Fantasy for retards.

And that's not exactly a series that is renowned for its challenge and depth, already

To be fair I was a retard, at the time, being eleven or twelve.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    At thread title:

I don't know, Jill?

Someone lend me Outcast some years ago. I still have it.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mario Sunshine. I lent it to a kid, his parents got divorced, and he went to live with his dad and I've never seen him since.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

I lent Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest to some way older kid who hung out with me to rook magic cards in bad trades. I'm not too broken up about it.

I had some jackhole sell my little brother Mystic Quest for 30 bucks once, told him it was "definitely FFIII".

I got him back by selling him a busted Toshiba laptop for 300 bucks. Thing was worth 90, tops.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I have learned from my past mistakes, however. I will NOT let anyone borrow my shit unless I get something of equal or better value.

urahonky on
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmm I have a copy of FFT that went M.I.A. between visiting with all my friends...

One of my friends is also a chronic PC game borrower he still has Diablo 2 + Exp, Warcraft 3, but I am sure I could get those back if I had an inclination to play... I hope.

Until then Sam n Max: hits the road will be used as blackmailage.

Brue on
  • Options
    Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I let this kid borrow my copy of pokemon ruby one time. He was known to be a liar and a cheat, yet I still let him borrow it. A week later I ask him where it is and apparently someone robbed his house and stole it, along with some other stuff.

Some one robbed you, and in the process said "Oh cool, pokemon ruby, I've been looking for this".

Right.

Another time Back in like the 5th grade we were playing kickball at recess. Well I happened to come upon a megaman cartridge for the gameboy just laying on the ground. Being the nice person that I am I go all around asking people if it was theirs and they all said no, except for one kid who was a jerk and said "get the hell out of my way" without even listening.

Well it was time to go back to class and the jerk kid yells "Hey someone stole my megaman game!"

I kept that game and still have it to this day.

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I lent a friend in secondary school my copy of Link's Awakening GB, and my GB Camera thingy, he then proceeded to move school's and deny all existence of anything i had lent him, then got his mother to call my parents to say she was going to call the cops if i kept harassing him over his games!

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You're my hero Daisuke Spoon.

urahonky on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    In fifth grade I lent a friend Mario Kart 64, and he stopped being friends before he gave it back (less than a year later). I would tell him to give it back to me every time I saw him in school but he insisted that it got lost when they were renovating his house. I called bullshit, but eventually lost interest. It still sucked though.

I lent my Mario Kart 64 for, what was supposed to be a really great game, Huxley for the 64 to a co worker. Brandon, Brian, something that starts with a "B" anyways. Game ended up sucking and he quit the next week.

Of course, being his boss he also never recieved his last check either which I had accounting make out to "Cash" ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gage wrote: »
    Fallout 2 for PC.

Same here. Lent it to a friend who subsequently lent it to another "friend" (I hate it when people do that btw, it's not theirs to loan to others). Never saw the game again. I did ask whoever had the game but everyone said they didn't. Bah.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Varation on a theme: An old friend has never seen his copy of Final Fantasy III (SNES) again.
    Because I have it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I let some guy borrow:

Dreamcast / Marvel vs Capcom / Sonic Adventure

He fell off the face of the earth after a week. What a dick.

Johnny Fabulous on
    We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
This discussion has been closed.