As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] 2.0: PS1 support is a go (unless you live in North America and don't own a PS3)

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Adda wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I impulse bought a vita this weekend mainly just to play gravity rush,uncharted and any cross-play games that come out. Can anyone recommend any Vita accessories? particularly in the market for a case but any headphone recommendations also appreciated.

Cheers

I find I only use the case for travelling but the First Edition Bundle (or similar) works great. For headphones anything will work but I recommend noise cancelling ear buds if you can tolerate them. Games like LBP really show you how GOOD the music and sounds can be in a game.

Re: Ragnarok Odyssey. If they release a demo I have a feeling I'll buy this one too. I'm a sucker for the MH style games.

Edit: I accidentally a word

Wraithverge on
  • Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I have the official Vita headphones, and I wouldn't buy them again if I could go back in time.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Have they ever said if or when they are going to actually merge the PS3/Vita trophy lists? As in, when will I be able to see my Vita trophies on my PS3? When will my overall level reflect that I own both systems?

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    You can see the complete list on the Vita at least, so a merged list does exist. Its pretty silly that they haven't followed through on the PS3.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Not enough RAM!

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    corin7 wrote: »
    Dat little big planet. So fun. I have totally run my Vita out of battery twice in the last 24 hours. Talk to my about Zen pinball. Demo was fun been kind of wanting a pinball game. Is this the one? If so what should I buy. Most bang for the buck and most common here so we can compare scores and what not?

can you help sell me on LBP? I bought it a few days back. I have not played any LBP earlier. It seems the game so far (after first "world") is just a cute platformer, with so-so controls and level design, with way too extensive voice-over comments by Fry? Also, I don't quite understand the billion customization options for sackboy. Is large part of the game just to play with a digital paper doll, or can you actually use the costumes and stickers for something?

Will something dramatically change over the next few levels, or is the game not "for me"? I really would like to like this game....

Eh it is mostly a cute platformer. I find the level design to be rather ingenious though once you get past the easy tutorial levels. A lot of physics puzzles and level specific abilities mix it up. If you aren't enjoying the art and platforming it may just not be for you. I haven't been able to put it down.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    nathanael wrote: »
    Even if I believe the doubters and only get the demos for NLKS and SH:BoM, that's still 2 major retail releases in one month. Sweet.
    The doubters are stupid. NLKS is awesome.

They're probably right about SH: BoM though, demo impressions haven't been particularly good.

And that's a shame, because the idea of a Silent Hill + Diablo game was exciting to me. Apparently the combat was just handled really poorly.

Is the demo out already or is it this week? Done right a silent hill diablo game on the vita would be amazing. Like holy shit amazing.

corin7 on
  • Options
    nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    corin7 wrote: »
    Even if I believe the doubters and only get the demos for NLKS and SH:BoM, that's still 2 major retail releases in one month. Sweet.
    The doubters are stupid. NLKS is awesome.

They're probably right about SH: BoM though, demo impressions haven't been particularly good.

And that's a shame, because the idea of a Silent Hill + Diablo game was exciting to me. Apparently the combat was just handled really poorly.

Is the demo out already or is it this week? Done right a silent hill diablo game on the vita would be amazing. Like holy shit amazing.

It's out in the UK, at least, and the reviews based on the demo have been extraordinarily meh. I'm holding out for it to be amazing, though, and I'm not judging it until I've played it. The US gets the demo on Tuesday.
    Adda wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I impulse bought a vita this weekend mainly just to play gravity rush,uncharted and any cross-play games that come out. Can anyone recommend any Vita accessories? particularly in the market for a case but any headphone recommendations also appreciated.

Cheers

Pull N' Go Folio

This is the best case I've seen. I use it and love it. There's a pull-out part that holds the Vita and 4 retail games, and if you're on a longer trip, the whole thing holds like 16 games AND all your charger business. It's totally ace.

nathanael on
    This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • Options
    The accessory I want more than anything is a single game card case. Small and thin like an SD card holder. One would go right in my case perfectly.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Hey everyone! Today I turn 30, so I am super old. But my kickass girlfriend surprised me with a Vita! In the spoiler you'll find a very long rant about how this thing bricked upon the first update and I'm venting here because I am so angry (I liked it! I dont want to return it!) that I think I'm just bringing it back and getting her her money back.
    She got me the 3G version, within minutes crashed with a "serious error"! After looking that up, I saw it was a problem specific to the 3G version that could be fixed via WiFi, which she didn't have. So I looked at the SIM card a bit, put it back in, and life continued beautifully. I spent the day playing Uncharted (not having a PS3 I never knew what the buzz was about) and loved it. Then - she got me Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It is a full blow OBESESSION on my XBox, so I was beyond thrilled to have it in my pocket. Even without the ability to play others, I played it almost all day. I loved it. I ran the battery down in an afternoon.

This evening my parents offered to host a birthday dinner. They have WiFi, so I packed up the now fully charged Vita, and headed over. I got there, and took it out to show my siblings Marvel. Mid-match, the "serious error" returned. I shut it off, and we enjoyed dinner. Afterwards, I decided to run the updates via WiFi, and pick up Little Big Planet - I wanted all in on this Sony stuff Ive never seen. I connected to the family WiFi, and saw that I needed to update to make a PSN account. Excited, I hit updated. It ticked along, and I watched some baseball with my father as it updated. I glanced back every few minutes, until at one point I looked back and it appeared to be off, except for the "PS" button was now blue. A solid blue. So I assumed it was done. I hit power. Nothing. I held power. Nothing. I figured it was still working on...something.

An hour later, I tried again, same results. I finally held the button down long enough to get to a "safe boot" screen. I tried "restart vita". It loads the swipe home screen, but the touchpad doesnt work at all. To swipe, that is. Holding down power lets me select "Cancel" or "Shut Down" and touching those works just fine! I hit shut down, and nothing happened. I took the Vita home, where I swapped out the memory card. I put a 4GB extra card my girlfriend bought me in, and it powered up! It was the old set up screen, but whatever. After picking my language and time zone, I was treated to a spinning globe and some ambient music for 20 minutes before I tried a hard reset again. Nothing.

Three hours later, here I am, with it plugged into the PC and "Please Wait" circling as I try to update the software again via PC. Now nothing works at all. I tried every single option on the safe boot menu (goodbye, 3 hours of Uncharted progress and all my Marvel trophies, due to trying to reformat BOTH cards). It doesn't work.

I have never had this much problem with a piece of hardware, ever. Under NO circumstance tomorrow when my very upset girlfriend and I return this will I even consider exchanging it for the 3G device, thanks to that awful error. And I am now SERIOUSLY debating just straight up giving it in for a 3DS. She's upset and feels like my 30th Birthday is "ruined" (Which, of course it isn't, but dropping that much money on a gift that bricked in under 12 hours is understandibly very upsetting), and I am livid at how the whole thing just died out of nowhere. I seriously did nothing wrong, nothing happened out of the ordinary. I updated Firmware on a full charge, and didn't touch a thing. Even now, after installing the Vita software stuff on her PC, it can't update.
    I had a great day with it, but I think I'm done. Sorry to vent in here, but I'm trying to let this "please wait" spin as long as I can before giving up, in hopes to sqeeze one more round of Marvel in, but as I watch it spin, it's not going to happen. We'll see what kind of mood I wake up in...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Today I turn 30, so I am super old. But my kickass girlfriend surprised me with a Vita! In the spoiler you'll find a very long rant about how this thing bricked upon the first update and I'm venting here because I am so angry (I liked it! I dont want to return it!) that I think I'm just bringing it back and getting her her money back.
    She got me the 3G version, within minutes crashed with a "serious error"! After looking that up, I saw it was a problem specific to the 3G version that could be fixed via WiFi, which she didn't have. So I looked at the SIM card a bit, put it back in, and life continued beautifully. I spent the day playing Uncharted (not having a PS3 I never knew what the buzz was about) and loved it. Then - she got me Marvel vs. Capcom 3. It is a full blow OBESESSION on my XBox, so I was beyond thrilled to have it in my pocket. Even without the ability to play others, I played it almost all day. I loved it. I ran the battery down in an afternoon.

This evening my parents offered to host a birthday dinner. They have WiFi, so I packed up the now fully charged Vita, and headed over. I got there, and took it out to show my siblings Marvel. Mid-match, the "serious error" returned. I shut it off, and we enjoyed dinner. Afterwards, I decided to run the updates via WiFi, and pick up Little Big Planet - I wanted all in on this Sony stuff Ive never seen. I connected to the family WiFi, and saw that I needed to update to make a PSN account. Excited, I hit updated. It ticked along, and I watched some baseball with my father as it updated. I glanced back every few minutes, until at one point I looked back and it appeared to be off, except for the "PS" button was now blue. A solid blue. So I assumed it was done. I hit power. Nothing. I held power. Nothing. I figured it was still working on...something.

An hour later, I tried again, same results. I finally held the button down long enough to get to a "safe boot" screen. I tried "restart vita". It loads the swipe home screen, but the touchpad doesnt work at all. To swipe, that is. Holding down power lets me select "Cancel" or "Shut Down" and touching those works just fine! I hit shut down, and nothing happened. I took the Vita home, where I swapped out the memory card. I put a 4GB extra card my girlfriend bought me in, and it powered up! It was the old set up screen, but whatever. After picking my language and time zone, I was treated to a spinning globe and some ambient music for 20 minutes before I tried a hard reset again. Nothing.

Three hours later, here I am, with it plugged into the PC and "Please Wait" circling as I try to update the software again via PC. Now nothing works at all. I tried every single option on the safe boot menu (goodbye, 3 hours of Uncharted progress and all my Marvel trophies, due to trying to reformat BOTH cards). It doesn't work.

I have never had this much problem with a piece of hardware, ever. Under NO circumstance tomorrow when my very upset girlfriend and I return this will I even consider exchanging it for the 3G device, thanks to that awful error. And I am now SERIOUSLY debating just straight up giving it in for a 3DS. She's upset and feels like my 30th Birthday is "ruined" (Which, of course it isn't, but dropping that much money on a gift that bricked in under 12 hours is understandibly very upsetting), and I am livid at how the whole thing just died out of nowhere. I seriously did nothing wrong, nothing happened out of the ordinary. I updated Firmware on a full charge, and didn't touch a thing. Even now, after installing the Vita software stuff on her PC, it can't update.
    I had a great day with it, but I think I'm done. Sorry to vent in here, but I'm trying to let this "please wait" spin as long as I can before giving up, in hopes to sqeeze one more round of Marvel in, but as I watch it spin, it's not going to happen. We'll see what kind of mood I wake up in...

My Vita has been a solid piece of kit. Like I previously said I have straight up been running it out of battery the last week or two playing it so much. Get a new one and enjoy some amazing games.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I don't know why, but my Vita-chan has been getting slaughtered with scratches lately. And no, I don't have a screen protector on it. I bought the Sony one on the first day, and it sucked tremendous balls, so I just stuck with the plain Vita. It's probably too late now anyway. I feel like those things need to go on day one or not at all; it's just a disappointment.

I might replace my Vita in July or August, so I'm not as broken up as I might otherwise be, but I take really good care of this thing. I think I'm only more gentle with my baby and wife. Why is this happening?

astronautcowboy3 on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Don't give up! I flat out dropped my Vita onto a staircase a week after I bought it (it slid out of my satchel in an amazing feat of slipperiness) and it still works perfectly, albiet with a dent next to the power buttons. It easily replaced my 3DS as my favorite handheld, and I've lost HOURS in LBP working on levels. Get a replacement and you'll be happy you did.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like a pretty signficant update for the PSNOne titles on the Vita Store

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/02/playstation-store-update-259/
    Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol
    Spec Ops: Ranger Elite
    Spec Ops: Covert Assault
    Spec Ops: Airborne Commando
    Mega Man
    Mega Man 2
    Maga Man 3
    Mega Man 4
    Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness
    Darkstalkers
    Darkstalkers 3
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Dino Crisis
    Dino Crisis 2
    Pocket Fighter
    Breath of Fire IV
    Resident Evil Director’s Cut
    Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Final Fantasy Origins
    Final Fantast VI
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Tomb Raider 2
    Tomb Raider III
    Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
    Gex
    Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
    Fighting Force
    Parasite Eve
    Parasite Eve II
    Xenogears
    Legend of Mana
    Threads of Fate
    Vagrant Story
    Chrono Cross
    Chrono Trigger

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    There's like, every single PSOne game I ever planned on buying in that update.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Soul Sacrifice Preview (via Joystiq)

This one article, on its own, sold me on this game completely. I was already on board with the idea, but this served to loose my money from the shackles of my wallet... in 2013.

EDIT: New Little King's Story is $40?!?! How did I miss this? Wasn't it like $14.99 on the Wii?

nathanael on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Hm...can you only get Chrono Cross via the Vita store or something? I am fully updated on my PS3 and my Vita but it doesn't show up on the transfer list when I connect the Vita to the PS3 (I have it downloaded on the PS3).

Edit - Oh I guess it's just a STORE update eh. Shame...I hope they make it so you can transfer Chrono Cross soon! Been looking forward to replaying it.

vamen on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    Wow $40!? I'll pass.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    I had my pretend $15 in hand and walked to the proverbial cashier of the PSN Store. Imagine my disappointment.

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Hm...can you only get Chrono Cross via the Vita store or something? I am fully updated on my PS3 and my Vita but it doesn't show up on the transfer list when I connect the Vita to the PS3 (I have it downloaded on the PS3).

Edit - Oh I guess it's just a STORE update eh. Shame...I hope they make it so you can transfer Chrono Cross soon! Been looking forward to replaying it.

You do have it in the bubble, right? You can't transfer installed PS1 or Mini games.

That said, if its available on the Vita store, and you have already bought it, you can just download it on the Vita.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    vamen wrote: »

You do have it in the bubble, right? You can't transfer installed PS1 or Mini games.

That said, if its available on the Vita store, and you have already bought it, you can just download it on the Vita.

Yeah I have it in the bubble but still no dice.
    I saw it on the store and it had a price next to it so I was afraid to click! That did the trick, thanks!

• Options
    I'm going to dive into the Silent Hill: BoM demo and report back when I'm done. I really hope it's awesome.

• Options
    That preview you posted of Soul Sacrifice has me all eager for it too. It was already high on my list!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

This one article, on its own, sold me on this game completely. I was already on board with the idea, but this served to loose my money from the shackles of my wallet... in 2013.

EDIT: New Little King's Story is $40?!?! How did I miss this? Wasn't it like $14.99 on the Wii?

Little King's Story was a full priced Wii game. It's also a full priced Vita game.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Hm... buy the PSOne Xenogears, or wait for the HD collection to come out?

Hm...

Also, I wonder if there will ever be a Super Robot Wars released for the Vita?...

工事中
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Playstation Mobile is live. Go to the PSN store and there's a new tab! Already downloading Super Crate Box because I just don't do touchscreen controls but I really wanted to play this one.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Little King's Story was a full priced Wii game. It's also a full priced Vita game.

Well see? That's what you get when you mix up Little King's Story and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King. Now you can probably see why I was also totally confused when I watched the trailers, and it was nothing like what I remembered on the Wii.

• Options
    supermechakuposupermechakupo Registered User regular
    Not
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Also, I wonder if there will ever be a Super Robot Wars released for the Vita?...

Probably not for another year. I'm hoping OGs gets ported because there's a shot that it can finally get localized.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

Hm...

S'far as I know, there's pretty much no HD-ing that could/would ever be done on Xenogears. And Xenosaga on PS2 (the games that -could theoretically- get HD-ified) are kind of.....different and I'm not really sure how that would impact Xenogears at all. (I doubt there'd be a download code or something since Xenogears is Squeenix and Saga is Namco)

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Is there any reason I should get Peace Walker HD over getting the PSP version for my Vita? I owned it for my PSP and never even opened it, enjoyed trading that in for a few bucks... :evil: Anyway I still want to play it, just wondering which version is best. Also when the hell is Portable Ops going to be supported by the Vita?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Peace Walker HD is the best version of the game, unless you are fully intent on playing it on the go.

• Options
    As far as I know, the HD release is the better one. For the HD's for one. Also better analog stick support than playing Peace Walker on a Vita.

• Options
    I didn't think Silent Hill was as terrible as I'd been hearing. The combat was a little mushy, and I'm not sure how I feel about the Dead Island-style weapons system, but it was diverting enough. The sound design (especially the voices was poorly done, but the graphics were pretty, and I liked the wallpaper texture on the loading screens.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Hm...

S'far as I know, there's pretty much no HD-ing that could/would ever be done on Xenogears. And Xenosaga on PS2 (the games that -could theoretically- get HD-ified) are kind of.....different and I'm not really sure how that would impact Xenogears at all. (I doubt there'd be a download code or something since Xenogears is Squeenix and Saga is Namco)

Ah, maybe I'm mixing up games then. Or just flatout remembering incorrectly.

Which is the one that's getting the collection by the end of this month? I thought it was an HD remake, but I am probably wrong!

工事中
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Legend of Mana is beautiful. I weep, openly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Peace Walker HD is the best version of the game, unless you are fully intent on playing it on the go.
    If you guys say that I'll get the most enjoyment out of the HD version, then HD it is. Though seriously, when the fudge are we going to get Portable Ops on the Vita?! I need to finish that one before I can start Peace Walker.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Playstation Mobile is live. Go to the PSN store and there's a new tab! Already downloading Super Crate Box because I just don't do touchscreen controls but I really wanted to play this one.

Actually having buttons makes *such* a difference. Played the iOS version a ton, and after playing the Vita version I can't see myself going back.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    PMAvers wrote: »

Actually having buttons makes *such* a difference. Played the iOS version a ton, and after playing the Vita version I can't see myself going back.

Is it worth picking up? I grabbed Loot the Land because it looked fun.

Oh! And I LOVE that they have screenshots for the PS Mobile games, and a fair amount (6-8) for some of them. Now we just need them to do this for all the minis, PSP, PSone, and Vita games, and I'll be happier.

nathanael on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Hm...

Ah, maybe I'm mixing up games then. Or just flatout remembering incorrectly.

Which is the one that's getting the collection by the end of this month? I thought it was an HD remake, but I am probably wrong!

I'm guessing you're talking about Zone of the Enders HD. We're still not sure what's happened to the Vita version, as Konami haven't mentioned it for months but then they did the same thing with the MGS Collection, so chances are, it'll come out next year.
    If you guys say that I'll get the most enjoyment out of the HD version, then HD it is. Though seriously, when the fudge are we going to get Portable Ops on the Vita?! I need to finish that one before I can start Peace Walker.
    The PAL version's compatible... But honestly, don't worry about it. PO is the worst game in the canon series, has horrendous controls (even with the second analog) and isn't important at all. It wouldn't surprise me if they've retconned it out of existence entirely, as they haven't mentioned a single part of the story since it came out.

Anyway, so I guess I'll once again be making the new thread?

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The best part about MGS:PO is the story cutscenes, and there really aren't all that many of them. Youtube them, and call it good.