Options

Presidential Election 2012: Apropos of nothing, ejaculating in a hot tub feels amazing.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Joe Biden
    Jasconius wrote: »
    those things all need money though
    where is that money going to come from?

reduce funding to the military as we draw down forces from our Iraq and Afghanistan missions. stop deploying our forces as occupation missions and return them to maintaining our defense along with quick, brief interventions if/when needed. the cost of maintaining an occupational force is exponentially more.

let the goddamn Bush tax cuts for the wealthy expire. there is no justifiable reason to maintain them. all they did was let the wealthy keep getting wealthy. no one's recognizing the fact that jobs haven't really appreciably grown during the period when the tax cuts were still in place. let them die.

heyyyyy

you're disassociating tax policy from economic performance

so I guess we can decouple Clinton's tax rates from the 90's boom then too, right?

good, done.

...what? i'm doing the exact opposite?

i'm pointing out that the tax cuts for the wealthy haven't magically stimulated those job creators to create jobs.

also, under the higher taxes of the Clinton years, the economy was booming.

so, er, i'm not sure what your point is. i'm pointing out that increasing the tax rate for wealthy Americans isn't going to drive so-called "job creators" away, and that a reduced tax rate for them certainly hasn't caused "job creators" to actually create jobs.

because you're making counter-intuitive points

In a vacuum, lower taxes stimulates economic growth, higher taxes stifle it

my point: overwhelming commercial/industrial/other forces override taxes 9 times out of 10

You said
    no one's recognizing the fact that jobs haven't really appreciably grown during the period when the tax cuts were still in place.

You really think that the Bush tax cuts, during two foreign wars and a housing bubble, is the final referendum on tax policy?

Really?

I don't understand how those things affect job growth at all. Wartime is usually a boon for job growth, and a housing bubble, during the bubble, is as well?

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Joe Biden
    The past 60 years have shown that top marginal tax rates have no immediate effect on economic performance of a country, only on income inequality. That income inequality itself will later negatively effect economic performance though.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Joe Biden

reduce funding to the military as we draw down forces from our Iraq and Afghanistan missions. stop deploying our forces as occupation missions and return them to maintaining our defense along with quick, brief interventions if/when needed. the cost of maintaining an occupational force is exponentially more.

let the goddamn Bush tax cuts for the wealthy expire. there is no justifiable reason to maintain them. all they did was let the wealthy keep getting wealthy. no one's recognizing the fact that jobs haven't really appreciably grown during the period when the tax cuts were still in place. let them die.

heyyyyy

so I guess we can decouple Clinton's tax rates from the 90's boom then too, right?

good, done.

i'm pointing out that the tax cuts for the wealthy haven't magically stimulated those job creators to create jobs.

so, er, i'm not sure what your point is. i'm pointing out that increasing the tax rate for wealthy Americans isn't going to drive so-called "job creators" away, and that a reduced tax rate for them certainly hasn't caused "job creators" to actually create jobs.

my point: overwhelming commercial/industrial/other forces override taxes 9 times out of 10

You said
    no one's recognizing the fact that jobs haven't really appreciably grown during the period when the tax cuts were still in place.

You really think that the Bush tax cuts, during two foreign wars and a housing bubble, is the final referendum on tax policy?

Really?

so if other forces besides taxes are the true drivers of the economy, what does it matter if the Bush tax cuts for wealthier individuals expire? it shouldn't have a significant effect on the economy, while freeing up revenue for education and infrastructure improvement.

the foreign wars are drawing down but still ongoing. and we are still feeling the effects from the housing bubble to this day. at this time, the tax cuts for the wealthy simply don't make sense. yes, in a vacuum, lower taxes generally allow the economy to grow. but out of that vacuum, the economy is affected by infrastructure, educational levels, outside factors like the EU, and other things.

i'm really not sure what your argument is. i'm not making some sort of blanket statement here about all taxes ever. i'm saying that the tax cuts for the wealthy are pointless because they haven't done what they were supposed to do and that we should return to Clinton-era level taxes for that bracket.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Joe Biden
    credit makes our economy function

The dotcom bubble on the other hand is an unfortunate consequence of Wall Street. The dotcom era could have functioned without Wall Street fucking it up

We need stock exchange regulation because it's getting p. redic.

You've managed to take over from Butters the title of "King of Posts I Half Agree With, and Half Angrily Disagree With."

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Joe Biden

The dotcom bubble on the other hand is an unfortunate consequence of Wall Street. The dotcom era could have functioned without Wall Street fucking it up

like what?

edit - this double quoting thing is getting super annoying

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    We need regulation

See now, you can't say that and also claim to be a capital 'r' Republican...

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Joe Biden
    credit is necesary, yeah
    but soooner or later, the borrower has to pay their debts back

but wall st really made a clusterfuck out of that

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Joe Biden

heyyyyy

good, done.

See, people keep saying "higher taxes stifle economic growth". I would like to call bullshit on this.

America has an infrastructure problem (actually, most countries do nowadays). If you raise the tax rate across the board by 1% and spend that money on infrastructure, you would almost certainly get a net increase in economic growth. More people employed fixing roads, shoring up bridges, doing actual work, with all the economic activity that entails... I fail to see how that 1% extra tax is going to do ANY stifling of anything.

Austerity stifles economic growth- if you substantially raise taxes, cut public sector jobs and use all that to pay down your debt, you are taking a switchblade to growth, no question. But I think Americans in general have a really distorted view on taxation and the way it impacts economic growth.

I mean, all things in moderation- things don't function well with a 90% tax rate. Nor do they function well with a 1% tax rate. But where America is (really fucking low tax rate compared to much of the world), you can afford to bump that up a few points and spend the proceeds on the things the government should be providing more of, and have a positive econimic impact.

El Skid on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Wartime is usually a boon for job growth

Um...welcome to the post 1950s era where war time doesn't entail rationing of resources and industry collaboration to train soldier's wives to build B-17s. The US economy went to shit during the Vietnam war

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Joe Biden
    credit is necesary, yeah

You mean Sesame Street.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Paul Ryan
    We need regulation

Sure I can.

Wall Street: curtail electronic trading. The NYSE is a horrible dystopian cryptohacker playground of competing algorithms, using my 401k as the kickball. A little more SEC effort when it comes to IPO's wouldn't hurt. I'm not one to pity the poor idiots who overpaid for Facebook stock, but clearly there is a role for the SEC to play in not only protecting outside investors, but also protecting the poor workers for companies like Zynga who've seen their wealth disappear before they are legally allowed to sell their stock.

I don't think we have another tech bubble to worry about. Every big tech stock that came out last FY fell pretty hard save LinkedIn. Now what is needed is stability.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Early voted today. Feels good.

Now that whole day is free to play some fucking Halo 4 do something useful and civic-minded.

Like play Halo 4.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    i don't think the evangelical wing of the republicans are going anywhere, jasc
    evangelicals breed, buddy.

and there's a good chance an evangelical family will remain an evangelical family for generations
    most of the current 20-something voting block (my cousins) believe almost exactly the same thing as their parents (my aunts and uncles), who believe almost exactly the same thing as their parents (my grandparents) who believe the same things for the most part that their parents believed

my cousins "gay people are weird, but i guess i don't care if i dont have to see it. black and most asians are OK. dot heads and mexicants are stealing our jobs"

i don't want to go any further backwards

While it's true families stay that way, I'd say as the old people die out we will at least make some progress. I have two friends from college who believe dinosaurs and humans co-existed, but still think gay people should be able to get married.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Paul Ryan
    There's always a replacement factor in terms of old bigotries dying hard

but in a system of a hundred million voters, even small ratio shifts pay huge dividends over time

again, we're talking about issues that are already coming down to a few percentage points, and in some states, a few votes

And huge strides have been made in just the last decade

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    racism doesn't die out without outside influence. they were quite happy to hate blacks for 300 years in the south. if these people don't want to come to the 21th century on their own then we should drag them kicking and screaming.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Joe Biden
    We need regulation

Sure I can.

Wall Street: curtail electronic trading. The NYSE is a horrible dystopian cryptohacker playground of competing algorithms, using my 401k as the kickball. A little more SEC effort when it comes to IPO's wouldn't hurt. I'm not one to pity the poor idiots who overpaid for Facebook stock, but clearly there is a role for the SEC to play in not only protecting outside investors, but also protecting the poor workers for companies like Zynga who've seen their wealth disappear before they are legally allowed to sell their stock.

I don't think we have another tech bubble to worry about. Every big tech stock that came out last FY fell pretty hard save LinkedIn. Now what is needed is stability.

See this I don't get. When someone substitutes their own values for the Republican Party's and then sums it up as saying, "that's why I will vote for the GOP."

Except they have absolutely no plan to fix the NYSE . Where on earth did you even get that???

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Paul Ryan
    We need regulation

Sure I can.

See this I don't get. When someone substitutes their own values for the Republican Parties and then sums it up as saying, "that's why I will vote for the GOP."

Except the have absolutely no plan to fix the NYSE. Where on earth did you even get that???

I wasn't really tacking that to any party at all.

No party has a plan to do anything about what I just mentioned

it was just a side bar

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Jars wrote: »
    racism doesn't die out without outside influence. they were quite happy to hate blacks for 300 years in the United States of America. if these people don't want to come to the 21th century on their own then we should drag them kicking and screaming.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Joe Biden
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    racism doesn't die out without outside influence. they were quite happy to hate blacks for 300 years in the United States of America. if these people don't want to come to the 21th century on their own then we should drag them kicking and screaming.

Wrong. The north fought against slavery.

It is physically impossible for racism to exist in the north.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Obama got the Honey Boo Boo endorsement his team has been fighting hard to secure these last few weeks. I'm feeling a lot better about his chances now.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Joe Biden
    I'm waiting on the endorsement from the cast of Breaking Amish before I make up my mind.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Yeaup. Those wonderful Northeners never made acid attacks against the Poor Man's March, their labor unions didn't disband immediately after blacks were allowed to join them, and they sure as shooting didn't run screaming from their cities when it looked like our government was going do the sensible thing and spread poor minorites out thinly so that slums wouldn't develop and they would see a faster rate of assimilation by poors into the greater culture. Nope nope nope.

They also never started shooting at a Black Panthers rally while McGovern was on the phone trying to get the Democratic Convention to open it's fucking doors so that innocent people wouldn't die. And since that never happened we can safely say that the backlash from this event didn't cause racist Democrats from the North and South to fuck off to the Republican Party and build a platform based entirely on race hatred.

And since the North isn't racist, America isn't, because those filthy scots-irish aren't human, let alone American! We're better than them! The last sixty years never happened!

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Joe Biden
    the government

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Joe Biden
    credit is necesary, yeah

no

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Yeaup. Those wonderful Northeners never made acid attacks against the Poor Man's March, their labor unions didn't disband immediately after blacks were allowed to join them, and they sure as shooting didn't run screaming from their cities when it looked like our government was going do the sensible thing and spread poor minorites out thinly so that slums wouldn't develop and they would see a faster rate of assimilation by poors into the greater culture. Nope nope nope.

They also never started shooting at a Black Panthers rally while McGovern was on the phone trying to get the Democratic Convention to open it's fucking doors so that innocent people wouldn't die. And since that never happened we can safely say that the backlash from this event didn't cause racist Democrats from the North and South to fuck off to the Republican Party and build a platform based entirely on race hatred.

And since the North isn't racist, America isn't, because those filthy scots-irish aren't human, let alone American! We're better than them! The last sixty years never happened!

whoosh

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    ScolbertScolbert Registered User regular
    big red tie your rly good at this

• Options
    Joe Biden
    :arrow:

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    ScolbertScolbert Registered User regular
    ;-)

• Options
    chidonachidona Registered User regular
    Joe Biden
    Just a quick thought about 'this isn't what a recovery looks like' talk from last page. I'm still on a pretty touch-and-go internet connection, so going to have to fly without graphs here, which is dangerous for an economist, but hey-ho. I'll whack it in spoilers because I'm aware that discussion has kinda moved on.
    The comment that the recovery has been mediocre by historical standards is by-and-large, fine, but comes with a big old side dish of caveats. First, there really hasn't been a financial crisis in the US that's been anywhere near the severity of the financial crisis in 2008, so going 'oh, but we bounced back from the fallout from the Asian Financial Crisis in '97 really strong!' is pretty meaningless as it's not really like-for-like. Hell, I'd argue that we're basically reliving the 1920's /1930's financial crisis and fallout, but even then we're not fully taking into account just how much of a perfect storm preceded the crisis. Seriously, between the huge deficit/surplus inbalances on a global scale, the crazy amount of credit-driven consumerism (most notably in the housing sector, but credit card debt was also really substantial IIRC - at least, in the UK it was), and the myriad of ways that financial institutions repackaged debt to conceal the true risk, I'm really surprised the West isn't completely in a full blown depression (aside from a couple of European cases, but that's a distinct issue due to the Euro).

Second, perhaps the best benchmark for comparison isn't the same country through time, but with other countries of similar economic development. Basically, the US hasn't done bad by international standards - Asian/Latin American economies haven't been hurting largely because their state of development essentially precluded them from having as much sensitivity to the crisis, but they still took a hit at the time, so they're not really a fair comparison. The UK, in particular, has been back in recession since the start of this year. In chained-volume measures, the UK's output is roughly the same as it was at the start of the crisis IIRC. Think about that. The UK economy is no bigger than it was 3 or 4 years ago. Now, the US recovery is still plenty weak, but at least some tangible ground has been made, and there are signs of recovery in the labour and housing markets.

Of course, that's not to say parents skipping meals to ensure their kids eat dinner should be raving about Obama's economic record, but things could've been so much worse. The gap between what's going on now, and what could've been if Obama hadn't acted in the way he did should be the only true measure of how 'real' this recovery is. Perhaps a good analogue (flawed as they are) is a guy whose finger falls off in a finger-wagging contest. The doctor gets a tourniquet on it, takes him to hospital and the man is stuck in hospital for a while. Sure, the guy lost a finger, but he's alive and on the mend. Of course, you could take this in weird directions and call the lost finger 'productive capacity' but whatever.

There was a very good economist article recently on this - basically they came to the conclusion that Obama had done very well in preventing a crisis, and quite poorly in reshaping the economy in the aftermath; I only mildly agree with the latter. But then we get back into politics with an insane Republican party that simply refuses to play any sort of ball with the Democrats.

So the recovery isn't as strong as it could be, but it's still pretty good all things considered. Whether or not that's enough, and you feel that it would be improved by a change of party that's intent on following the same policies of the conservative Government in the UK (that drove us back into recession), is totally your call.

• Options
    ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    I remember when Ron Paul claimed he couldn't be racist because he disagrees politically with collectivism.

I still laugh when I think about it.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Joe Biden

and yet you're voting for the party that completely torpedoed wall street reform

gotcha

I can tell this is an issue you feel very strongly about

Shorty on
  • Options
    Paul Ryan
    Shorty wrote: »

and yet you're voting for the party that completely torpedoed wall street reform

gotcha

Mitt Romney is not in Congress

• Options
    Joe Biden

gotcha

yeah let's pretend he won't veto a hypothetical bill designed specifically to keep all of his friends from doing whatever they want on wall street

let's do that

• Options
    Paul Ryan

gotcha

yeah let's pretend he won't veto a hypothetical bill designed specifically to keep all of his friends from doing whatever they want on wall street

let's do that

i don't have to pretend

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular

gotcha

And yet he has managed to come out against the debt ceiling deal

Which is pretty fucking retarded if you're worried about our credit!

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i gotta admit i find all of this projection onto mitt really unnerving

based on the demonstrated reality of his policies, mitt is going to lockstep with destructive republican policies we've already seen. why people choose to believe otherwise seems like it couldn't be anything but a coping method

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Joe Biden
    Jasconius understands Mitt Romney

• Options
    Joe Biden
    Fandyien wrote: »

based on the demonstrated reality of his policies, mitt is going to lockstep with destructive republican policies we've already seen. why people choose to believe otherwise seems like it couldn't be anything but a coping method

pffft reality is just a bogeyman

• Options
    Joe Biden
    jasc this isnt he Romney you once knew

there's nothing that can be done now

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Joe Biden
    Fandyien wrote: »

pffft reality is just a bogeyman

A gay bogeyman

with a liberal arts degree

and no job.

This discussion has been closed.