Options

Mitchell & [Chat] & Webb

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Dug out my copy of Battlefield 2142 after talking about it today, put the serial in Origin thinking I'd be able to download it, like with Steam.

How foolish of me. Of course I can't.

On the upside, 4 years ago when we moved I put a ziploc bag in the case with a $20 and $10 bill from 1950 in it, and a silver certificate from 1957, that I'd been looking for for four years.
    Origin should be prosecuted by the Hague.

I'm sure there will be business classes using it as an example of how not to launch a content delivery service in the future. Or, how if you have a big enough stable of whores, I mean developers, you can launch a terrible service and still succeed.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Tamriel just makes no fucking sense.

It is a really poorly thought out and slap-shod setting, yes.

Though I don't really know how much you can expect of a setting derived from some dudes' DnD campaigns that includes a province called "Elsewhere".

I like "Elsewhere" better than [hackneyed fantasy name #5]

has character

but the map is like, a parody of the fantasy way of making maps.

I agree, I think in general I am sick of everyone making up their own dumb fantasy world that is the same as everyone else's.

I want to see more, like, historical fantasy and shit.

Like I would not be sad if no one ever made another thing with an elf in it.

this is so silly

if people actually made Tolkienesqe elves (instead of D&D elves) that would be pretty fresh and different. Or look at Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel or Terry Pratchett evles.

how the hell would it be fresh and different if someone aped after tolkien

When I think Tolkien elves I think an old race that is past their prime and kind of withdrawing responsibility for the world.

Not really the kind of elves that are popularly done over and over again.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Is this belt man
    thumb160x_picture_5_02.jpg

I mean the belt is pretty obviously a phallic symbol there

It's belt guy get it right plebe.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Which is the best Pratchett book for the elves, because I haven't met them yet, and apparently they are cray

Lords and Ladies.

In fact I don't know that there are any others. I can't think of one off the top of my head.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Dug out my copy of Battlefield 2142 after talking about it today, put the serial in Origin thinking I'd be able to download it, like with Steam.

On the upside, 4 years ago when we moved I put a ziploc bag in the case with a $20 and $10 bill from 1950 in it, and a silver certificate from 1957, that I'd been looking for for four years.

I'm sure there will be business classes using it as an example of how not to launch a content delivery service in the future. Or, how if you have a big enough stable of whores, I mean developers, you can launch a terrible service and still succeed.

gfwl

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Man, the next episode of Adventure Time is gonna be OFF THE CHAIN

I am unreasonably excited.

It's kind of remarkable how something that was superficially a kid's show about butts and adventure is actually a show about the fall of civilization. It's really story driven.

It's starting to remind me of the way The Venture Bros went off the rails and became hugely character/plot driven instead of a Johnny Quest parody.

That episode with Marcelline and the Ice King was depressing as hell too, way moreso than the christmas episode. Usually they try to shove in a few laughs to keep it light but they sure didn't there.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Terry Bradshaw is a modern-day Howard Cosell... in the fields of alcoholism and racism.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Though I don't really know how much you can expect of a setting derived from some dudes' DnD campaigns that includes a province called "Elsewhere".

has character

I agree, I think in general I am sick of everyone making up their own dumb fantasy world that is the same as everyone else's.

this is so silly

if people actually made Tolkienesqe elves (instead of D&D elves) that would be pretty fresh and different. Or look at Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel or Terry Pratchett evles.

When I think Tolkien elves I think an old race that is past their prime and kind of withdrawing responsibility for the world.

Not really the kind of elves that are popularly done over and over again.

Agreed. Or if you go with the Silmarillion the elves in there aren't the kind you see outside of Michael Moorcock either.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    the elder scrolls is such a mix of bad and boring things and really interesting things

the daedra are really interesting

the tribunal is cool

morrowind is interesting

the rule of dragons of old was kinda cool too

I like the dwemer

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

has character

this is so silly

because almost no one actually has in time since his stuff was published

and the huge difference beetween someone making d&d-ish elves and tolkien-ish elves would be?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    japan wrote: »
    Which is the best Pratchett book for the elves, because I haven't met them yet, and apparently they are cray

Lords and Ladies.

In fact I don't know that there are any others. I can't think of one off the top of my head.

The Wee Free Men

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

The Wee Free Men
    Lords and Ladies (which is one of the Witches books)
    I stand corrected.

Surprisingly, I haven't read any of his books for chillblains.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    woot, time to head home. so many meetings this week its brain melty

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I think I found Belt Guy
    guy_fawkes_belt_buckles-r9935f7eea91e468c9f7e1a4d04912e87_fel7u_400.jpg?rlvnet=1

It's a Guy Fawkes Belt Buckle

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    winky let's make a fantasy game that has no elves at all

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Lords and Ladies.

The Wee Free Men

I thought they were in a Tiffany Aching one, but I wasn't sure.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

has character

I promise you this: if I make a game-thing at some point, and it has elves in it, it will either be a straight norse mythology story

or they will be the fair folk, de underjordiske, sidhe. That kind of thing.

Celtic mythology is the shit, from what little I know of it.

Every time I go to a Wikipedia article, it's amazing. I should look into it more.

Like, why isn't this in every game.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Fuck Tinkerbell, dullahan for best faerie.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I am strongly convinced that the best way to write fantasy is to have a strong grasp of a real historical setting and then to draw on that for inspiration (everyone has noticed, after all, that the Shire sure looks like an agricultural English village). If the setting isn't tethered to actual human history, in all its surprising complexity, it runs the risk of drifting into bland cliche.

• Options
    I'm with winky.

any derivation of tolkien was done to death so long ago. If I see one more human-like but fairer and fonder of nature fantasy race I will puke.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    A fantasy game without elves what is this sword of shannara.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

gfwl

Yup, for all the issues I have with Origin, and getting things to work, they do, eventually, work.

GFWL is something else. It's like Microsoft's iTunes. But somehow, inexplicably worse.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Bastion

Bastion had a great fantasy setting

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Make a fantasy setting where both science and magic exist side by side, only really consider the way that the two would evolve together. What would be easy with magic and therefore be underdeveloped as technology. What would be easy with tech and impossible with magic.

Be sure to include lots of mechanical golems.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Watching Fox News. The consensus is that Romney will win and that Karl Rove is a handsome man with a full head of hair.

• Options

has character

this is so silly

and the huge difference beetween someone making d&d-ish elves and tolkien-ish elves would be?

Elves in D&D always came off as fetishized, powerful and too perfect.

• Options
    Make a fantasy setting where both science and magic exist side by side, only really consider the way that the two would evolve together. What would be easy with magic and therefore be underdeveloped as technology. What would be easy with tech and impossible with magic.

eeeeh.

Kind of sick of D&D magic.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    I am strongly convinced that the best way to write fantasy is to have a strong grasp of a real historical setting and then to draw on that for inspiration (everyone has noticed, after all, that the Shire sure looks like an agricultural English village). If the setting isn't tethered to actual human history, in all its surprising complexity, it runs the risk of drifting into bland cliche.

Just also have a strong grasp on at what point your story is DRAGGING ON FOR FUCKING EVER GOD DAMN YOU GEORGE MARTIN

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    the best thing I liked about gfwl is how much microsoft's internal bureaucracy and infighting came through it its design

you could practically smell the windows team going: no, no, it's gotta have this, and then the windows live team says: no, it's got to have that as well, and then the xbox team says...

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2012

has character

this is so silly

tolkien's elves were kind of like that too

they were wankers

EDIT: LOTR elves far more than the hobbit/silmarillion elves

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    winky let's make a fantasy game that has no elves at all

You should make a setting with "Selves". Physical manifestations of idealized humans. Beautiful, ethereal and eternal.

But totally not elves.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Obama and Biden will win tomorrow.

• Options

eeeeh.

Kind of sick of D&D magic.

D&D magic wouldn't work for that kind of mix because it would suck like D&D.

• Options

I think when you try that you usually end up with magitech, rather than magic things and tech things. Like, FFVI had magitek, which really seems how things'd be. Magic is powerful but obviously technology never makes anything worse, so fuse them and you get robots that shoot lasers.

• Options

Full Metal Alchemist?

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    friends

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Whoo! I beat the boss of the 4th planet in Spacechem! I feel smrt! I even did it All by Myself! :D

• Options
    Mortious wrote: »

Full Metal Alchemist?

I have to admit that the setting of FMA is pretty incredible.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »

Just also have a strong grasp on at what point your story is DRAGGING ON FOR FUCKING EVER GOD DAMN YOU GEORGE MARTIN

GRRM is a great example of how desperate the fantasy audience is for an author that can competently represent actual human relations of power, love, and respect.

• Options

has character

this is so silly

tolkien's elves were kind of like that too

they were wankers

EDIT: LOTR elves far more than the hobbit/silmarillion elves

I already explained why I don't think that's the case. D&D elves are perpetually in their prime and have a lot of influence. Elves in LOTR are leaving the world, their time is over, they hardly even deal with the ring. They're not the same type of race at all.

This discussion has been closed.