As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tam and Friends [DOODLE] Hour [NSFW]

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Calling it

Eb9Ru.jpg?1

• Options
    whoreraywhoreray Registered User regular
    BadKaraoke.jpg
    happy turkey day y'all

• Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    Haha, I love that.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Re did something I had done a while back in honor of Black Friday. I call it: Abraham Lincoln: Bargain Hunter.

A8Wrtn3CUAEXbLm.jpg

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    heres some shits i did for the chow.
    disasterthingdone.jpg

• Options
    AssassineAssassine Registered User new member
    you guys did all that work? it looks amazing o_O

• Options
    What's a chow?

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    CA.orgs weekly character thing.

• Options
    Neat!

• Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Just drawin' comics.

PPL007.jpg

AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Toji...Aside from a bit of confusion as to the placement of the book, i think this page is beautiful.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Got a bow theme going tonight.

A8gQT5VCMAAvzbY.jpg

A8gTn1VCEAESfFP.jpg

Kinda stole the last idea from Jhonen Vasquez's Tumblr. Also, I can't draw letters.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    jaimekingjaimeking Registered User new member
    giefvshugp.jpg

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    blur__01_by_emir0-d5m7ork.png
    VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Finally got this one done. I hate colors.

A8kJjhXCcAAfh0A.jpg

Here's the photo that I shamelessly ripped off heavily referenced.

4364087463_1974b2efaf_o.jpg

I had an idea of what I wanted to do so I went looking for reference photos and really liked this style, and I decided to practice off it. Of course, mine is a thousand times better than his. Obviously.

Edit: check out his site here. It's really pretty neat.

Edit Edit: After posting his next to mine I'm suddenly embarrassed.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    ObiwanObiwan Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    Long layover in D.C.=Bored Doodles.
    2012_1125_Doodle01.jpg

2012_1125_Doodle02.jpg

• Options
    franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    979049486a3c44bf8b56ab85b2098984_zpsbd16aecb.jpg

So I'm working on this self portrait, and I have had some issues with proportions in the face. I corrected an eye size irregularity to the best of my ability. Id like to know if I'm missing something that would stop this person in the drawing from being human.

I think I'm happy with how it looks so far. But y'all haven't been staring at it so I think a fresh perspective would help.

Thanks guys

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    The alignment of the eyes seem a little bit out of agreement with the perspective of the frontal plane of the head. One of them is too high or low.

0racnjuk.jpg

• Options
    francium wrote: »
    979049486a3c44bf8b56ab85b2098984_zpsbd16aecb.jpg

So I'm working on this self portrait, and I have had some issues with proportions in the face. I corrected an eye size irregularity to the best of my ability. Id like to know if I'm missing something that would stop this person in the drawing from being human.

I think I'm happy with how it looks so far. But y'all haven't been staring at it so I think a fresh perspective would help.

Thanks guys

The only thing I'm noticing is that the right eye looks a little too angled. Maybe rotate it a little. Also, maybe add some lighting or texture to the hair on the side of his head. Other than that everything looks great.

• Options
    His right being our left.

• Options
    Yes, dang I'm sorry I don't have a scanner. Scosglen, I see the lines in the original and I can agree that there is an exaggeration that could be dealt with. I think it is what you, juggernut, are talking about in the left (our right) eye.
    And the paper is strathmore natural white drawing paper. Again I feel really bad to ask y'all to critique a photo...

Let's say I don't want to fix it... Would I be seen as irresponsible? Or would I be executing my artistic license? Or would both be true?

I'm only college prep school trained mind you, and the purpose of this drawing is as an admission portfolio piece. So if everyone says fix it I will.
    I just don't want to waste time making it perfect cause I got to push out more work...

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Representing a mistake as artistic license is poor form. Artistic license is about deliberate statements, not a shield from criticism.

So your choices would be either including a slightly flawed piece that you know as such, or spend time fixing it. It's ultimately up to you to make that judgment call. You have to weigh your assessment of how much time it would take to fix it, how many more pieces you have to do, if you feel the quality of your portfolio pieces is above or below the expected standard for submissions, etc. I would say regarding portfolios in general, fewer but better pieces is preferable to volume, but you may have specific submission requirements and not have much choice.

It may just be that you live with this mistake and move on having learned a little bit more why it's important to nail proportions and placement early in the development of a piece. For (I'm assuming) 18 year old college applicants, I don't feel this would be seen as a particularly egregious or "irresponsible" mistake to leave in, but it might not help you if you're shooting for some kind of competitive merit scholarship or something.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    From my webcomic Killjoy:
    Page19z1.jpg

And here is from Magenta:
    Anyone-named-purple1.jpg

I'm doing two different art styles. Maybe I will do a Manga Noir webcomic in the future?

Ronin356 on
    Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

• Options
    Scosglen, do you know where to find a proportion technique? I know I messed up in the line work but it's hard for me to see it until some value goes down. Considering the magnitude of adjustment I prolly won't fix this eye problem, but take it as a lesson (still in the air).
    It's still better than anything in my high school portfolio, so it's still a replacement.

I don't want to plum line exclusively, and failed to in this drawing because it is tedious. Is there a better method than plum lining? do I just need to draw from life more to understand spacial relationships better?

• Options
    edited November 2012
    francium wrote: »
    do I just need to draw from life more to understand spacial relationships better?

Short answer is yes.

Observational drawing is like physical exercise-- you can read techniques for how to throw a punch, or proper form for running, and they'll help, but ultimately you need to have strong muscles.

I am not the best source for observational measuring techniques, I tend to fire from the hip and only rely on plumb lines or distance comparisons when I can tell something has gone wrong. I trust myself to intuitively get most things correct and only rely on measurement when needed, precisely to avoid the tedium. I have specifically cultivated this method of working though, so I can't necessarily recommend it.

It can always be a bit tricky to catch mistakes if you're working in a vacuum on a highly observational piece, because you are ostensibly already leveraging your full attention to accuracy when a mistake happens. This is where having another set of eyes is valuable, or in dire circumstances when you can only rely on yourself, mirroring the image so that you can see it afresh.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Here's a thing I've almost finished!

IMG_2249.jpg

(waves not by me)

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    holy shit

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Is that... is that a building?!

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    Yes! And in the background, the moon! (in the sky I mean.)

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    jeez louise. Did you spraypaint it? How long did it take you? I'm in awe.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    DR, your paintings make me the happiest.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    I believe D-robe uses a brush non? Hey how much do you get paid for these?

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    heres some shits i did for the chow.
    disasterthingdone.jpg

is there a sexy lava golem around
    why's he pitching a tent

Tam on
  • Options
    Halen wrote: »
    jeez louise. Did you spraypaint it? How long did it take you? I'm in awe.

@m3nace is right, I use a (pretty small) brush and artist acrylics that are suitable for use outdoors. This took, roughly........ 30ish hours? But with a lot of cigarette and standing around in the heat breaks, so it's hard to tell. Lots of time up a rickety ladder. I get paid much less than I should. ;) We've been getting great feedback from people passing by and it's started making the rounds on instagram, wooOOooo! Can't wait to finish it. :)

• Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    How tall/wide was that wall?

• Options
    some dirty perspective

qozgux.jpg

• Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    I really like the low POV on that Tam! Somehow he seems less threatening than the previous one you posted. More "Feed me" and less "I'm gonna eat ya!" :)

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Guitarist doodles. Can you guess all six? (not counting Vader) Bonus points if you can guess Quasimodo at the bottom.

405095_4597761275756_202711448_n.jpg

Juggernut on
  • Options
    thank you Mynt and Endee

fun fact: I only just realized you can use a small section of a perspective setup for dramatic effect
    for instance, the entire original one-point perspective setup for that thing was 6000 pixels wide

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    tam, did you see that perspective program i posted?