As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Blizzcon 2007: Mischief, Mayhem, Murlocs

• Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    We need a Bard class - nothing but buffs and debuffs.

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    riz wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    Hm, tanking and dps class.

Ferals getting the shaft?

There's already a tanking/DPS class, it's called warriors. We still bring feral druids to raids.

Does your prot warr MTs/OTs ever DPS on shade and similar fights? Not well.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "Tanking/DPS class" is pretty fucking nebulous. No need to get panties in a twist until we know more.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yes, very true :D

Bigity on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Absolutely, though my only worry then would be soloing. Aside from the idea I've always liked of letting players hire "mercenaries"(dps mercs for the healers, healing mercs for the dpsers), a bard would still need competent dps(perhaps about ret pally level, for soloing dps) and then good enough debuffs and buffs to not make soloing awful.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was thinking Deathknights would be Warriors and Warlocks mixed, kind of like how Paladins are Priests/Warriors.

They would get some dark spells and instead of healing they would do DoT or debuff, while, still being able to tank.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Septus wrote: »

Absolutely, though my only worry then would be soloing. Aside from the idea I've always liked of letting players hire "mercenaries"(dps mercs for the healers, healing mercs for the dpsers), a bard would still need competent dps(perhaps about ret pally level, for soloing dps) and then good enough debuffs and buffs to not make soloing awful.

Make the mechanic that the bard charms almost any type of mob to do his bidding for him, for a short period of time. After which, the mob dies, exp-less. You run around singing songs to some Ogre who's helpless to resist, and buff him beyond his normal strength while debuffing the enemy to a serious degree.

Of course, in PvP, this would be a pretty useless class, unless you let them control PCs. Oh lord, a class that can MC anyone for 10 seconds at a time (maybe with a through-death debuff that prevents you from chain controlling someone) on a battlefield? Dear lord.

Nah, no way it could happen - too many chances for exploitation.

Lunatic Clam on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, you'd just make sure that the class was not focused heavily on pets. You could have just the one ability that charms the mobs, and then everything else that helps you in pve(heavy buffs on your pet/teammates and debuffs on the enemy) would work in pvp as well.

I mean...you might get focused on more than any other class in pvp, but that just means you'd need to run with players who know to keep you alive to get the leeeeet buffs.

Man, now I really, reaaallly want to play a bard. Thank, Clam, you bastard.

Septus on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If they did the Bard Class like the Minstrel Class in LOTRO, then it could work. Play a song, do damage and give the enemy a debuff or get a buff yourself.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Dear Blizzard,

Bards plzkthx.

Lunatic Clam on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thread needs more cosplay pix.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    riz wrote: »
    Hm, tanking and dps class.

Ferals getting the shaft?

There's already a tanking/DPS class, it's called warriors. We still bring feral druids to raids.

Does your prot warr MTs/OTs ever DPS on shade and similar fights? Not well.

All I'm saying is that announcing (which is still theoretical!) a new tanking/dps class doesn't mean they'll be able to tank and dps with the same spec a la ferals. And even if it does it doesn't mean that having another class with similar abilities means ferals are "getting the shaft."

riz on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just played a match of SC2. Exquisite. I think it's going to be quite delightful. In line for Wrath of the Lich King now. Line starts moving in 13 minutes.

SC2 has all the potential to be a 100% proper sequel. It really feels exactly the same, while still mixing it up enough to keep it fresh.

JAEF on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So who else was watchin the live stream? Holy friggin awesome.

Can;t wait to see some of footage of people playing :3

tehmarken on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I hope the bump to level 80 doesn't trigger another complete gear reset. Sure it makes things easy to balance, but tossing all the uber epixx I spent months gathering is not something I'll be willing to do more than once.

I really hope they speed up the pre-60 levels. It was annoying bringing up a new character when the cap was 60, and it keeps on getting longer.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't see the need for every class to serve a unique function with no competition from anyone else. Overlap is good, it allows people to fill a given role in a way that suits their own tastes. As long as no class is blatantly inferior, they'll all have uses in raids.
    xzzy wrote: »
    I hope the bump to level 80 doesn't trigger another complete gear reset. Sure it makes things easy to balance, but tossing all the uber epixx I spent months gathering is not something I'll be willing to do more than once.
    You can bet that it will. Did you really think your accomplishments would be permanent? Blizzard wants raiders to have a constant incentive to keep playing, so it's necessary that the gear keeps getting better.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    I don't see the need for every class to serve a unique function with no competition from anyone else. Overlap is good, it allows people to fill a given role in a way that suits their own tastes. As long as no class is blatantly inferior, they'll all have uses in raids.

This is fine for dps, and healing to a degree, but tank positions have always been very, very limited in raids. So I'd agree with you, if every single raid boss had a need for at least 2, if not three tanks, but that is not the case for now.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You can bet that it will. Did you really think your accomplishments would be permanent? Blizzard wants raiders to have a constant incentive to keep playing, so it's necessary that the gear keeps getting better.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea to rig the system so we throw out all our epics and equip quested greens.

A gradual upgrade from T4 to T5 is one thing, the Hellfire loot storm is entirely another. It would be nice for our level 70 gear to remain viable up through 80.

xzzy on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

That doesn't mean it's a good idea to rig the system so we throw out all our epics and equip quested greens.

A gradual upgrade from T4 to T5 is one thing, the Hellfire loot storm is entirely another. It would be nice for our level 70 gear to remain viable up through 80.

It comes down to whether or not Blizzard wants to re-level the playing field.

Hopefully they have learned that non-raiders will remain non-raiders, and raiders will outstrip the non-raiders very quickly whether the playing field is level or not.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

And I still see no reason why things will be that drastic the next time around.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Well we've only got one data point so far so it could go either way. I am a cynic though, and predict greens from your first 5 quests in the new expansion will be equal or better than T7 or whatever the hottest raid armor at the time will be.

xzzy on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    At what point do the top end raiders upgrade thought? Do they upgrade at 75? at 78? at 80?

Do the top end raiders want to level through 10 levels wearing the same things, or do they want to start upgrading at 72?

Seg on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Well we've only got one data point so far so it could go either way. I am a cynic though, and predict greens from your first 5 quests in the new expansion will be equal or better than T7 or whatever the hottest raid armor at the time will be.

A cynic and a hyperbolist, verily.

Septus on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yeah because people weren't still wearing tier 3 when they hit 70 or when they started SSC/TK.

riz on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, that'd make them retarded.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Apparently I'm the only person on the planet that hates vendoring gear he spent 7 months (so far) trying to gather.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Apparently I'm the only person on the planet that hates vendoring gear he spent 7 months (so far) trying to gather.

You aren't. But keep in mind that that a lot of the shininess of the loot came from the changes to stamina and lessons learned from itemization. But I still have some pieces like the Rejuvenating Gem that I just can't seem to find a good replacement for. I just don't think we'll see the same changes. Improvements? Sure. But I doubt I'll be replacing most pieces at 73.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Blizzard still hasn't learned diddly about itemization. They sure spent a lot of breath explaining how increasing stamina would make fights longer, too bad it just resulted in everyone's damage getting multiplied.

Fully geared on Karazhan loot, I walked out of there with 700+ spirit when raid buffed and almost zilch for raw mp5. Now with 3/5 T5 and a handful of other drops, I'm lucky to top 500 spirit and my mp5 has almost doubled. They seem to change their mind based on the phase of the moon.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Blizzard still hasn't learned diddly about itemization. They sure spent a lot of breath explaining how increasing stamina would make fights longer, too bad it just resulted in everyone's damage getting multiplied.

Fully geared on Karazhan loot, I walked out of there with 700+ spirit when raid buffed and almost zilch for raw mp5. Now with 3/5 T5 and a handful of other drops, I'm lucky to top 500 spirit and my mp5 has almost doubled. They seem to change their mind based on the phase of the moon.

Yeah...feral druid gear has become immeasurably better since before the expansion.

Despite your remaining issues, they've gotten so much better than they used to be.

Septus on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    Tier 3 was used by people entering Kara. The set bonuses made it very comparable to 70 blues. Shit, my druid didn't start replacing pieces of epic 60 PvP gear until 62 or 63.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Work has an extra comp pass. Score. 8-)

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Tier 3 was used by people entering Kara. The set bonuses made it very comparable to 70 blues. Shit, my druid didn't start replacing pieces of epic 60 PvP gear until 62 or 63.

I used my GM PvP sword set all the way to 70 before they got replaced.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I replaced my PvP healing epic in nagrand, kept priest t2 setbonus going till karazhan healing epics. Main gear switch for me was between 65-67 though, that's where the new loot was better unenchanted then the old enchanted.

I loved it though. I don't mind at all. I raid to overcome challenges, and work hard on my gear to do it, not the other way around.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kicked it at lunch with Rent & Medo. Apparently Rent is loaded, dropped a hundy to pay for our food.

Apparently Rent didn't have any tickets at all but still came down? What a trooper. Been kickin it with Medo through the events, pretty fun stuff. We rocked some fools in the SC 2v2.

As for the Naxx talk in the WoW thread, the raid content developers themselves spoke about resetting Naxx as a level 80 raid at sort of MC level. I don't know who the hell mentioned anything about level 30.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    Kicked it at lunch with Rent & Medo. Apparently Rent is loaded, dropped a hundy to pay for our food.

Apparently Rent didn't have any tickets at all but still came down? What a trooper. Been kickin it with Medo through the events, pretty fun stuff. We rocked some fools in the SC 2v2.

As for the Naxx talk in the WoW thread, the raid content developers themselves spoke about resetting Naxx as a level 80 raid at sort of MC level. I don't know who the hell mentioned anything about level 30.

see, this'd make sense to me, since all the big names that could be in northrend are in naxx/BT. Which means the big ol' northrend dungeon would be some douchebags that we've never heard of before, then... the litch king?

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Picture%20004.jpg

I HAVE SEIZED THE JAEF

tyrannus on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why, he doesn't look like Harry Potter at all!

Also, come back to Dark Iron and start that late-night Kara with me, you douche.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Two good looking motherfuckers right thar ya'll.

Best thing so far? A bullet point from the priest class discussion slides:

* Discipline Tree: What?

Medopine on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    I've seen JAEF and Medo. My internets have been SHATTERED.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Two good looking motherfuckers right thar ya'll.

Best thing so far? A bullet point from the priest class discussion slides:

* Discipline Tree: What?

I thought Jeffs anecdote about his stepson asking two questions about Death Knights, one being are they horribly overpowered like Warlocks was pretty damn awesome. Though he is an awesome dude. And Im rolling a warlock because Ive know this for ages.

The_Scarab on