Options

There is a brand new STEAM thread for this sale now

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    so far cry 3, and the walking dead are the two most wanted games on here?? sweet, ill pick up a couple copies of each to make a steamgifts draws for the forum than

These are good ideas. Borderlands 2is is also awesome and on many people's wishlists (and on sale on Gamefly now). XCOM, FTL and Mark of the Ninja are also good options.

How did I not see you posting this? :p

I think my favorite post from @iolo in recent was where he responded to a question about Borderlands being a good game, all nonchalantly. If he doesn't mention BL without something else I'd think he was ill.

Yeah borderlands is alright if you're in to that sort of thing... No that's not a dozen copies sticking out of my jacket. Oh look you dropped something. What's this, a new copy of borderlands? You must be a fan.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So - I've been playing a good amount of Rage, finished Spec Ops and To the Moon and have been playing Borderlands a bit split between a character on the PC and another on the PS3 but I think I want a break from fast paced shooting. I'd like something slightly MMORGish but found SWTOR too limited for non-pay members. I don't really care what the theme of the game is, as long as it's a big world with exploration and doesn't rely on my pinpoint shooting abilities.

Anyone have recommendations for a less twitchy game that is either a free/super cheap MMORPG or even just a game that sort of plays that way that I could start? Christmas is coming so the cheaper/free-er the better.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I think I have all the proofs updated on the spreadsheet as of right now, so I'm posting as a bookmarker for myself.

Again, please check it out and make sure your pledge is there, as well as your "received!" Note if applicable. We're up to $2946 in pledges so far! SO CLOSE to 3 grand!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Lilith, I think they're on to us...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    So - I've been playing a good amount of Rage, finished Spec Ops and To the Moon and have been playing Borderlands a bit split between a character on the PC and another on the PS3 but I think I want a break from fast paced shooting. I'd like something slightly MMORGish but found SWTOR too limited for non-pay members. I don't really care what the theme of the game is, as long as it's a big world with exploration and doesn't rely on my pinpoint shooting abilities.

Anyone have recommendations for a less twitchy game that is either a free/super cheap MMORPG or even just a game that sort of plays that way that I could start? Christmas is coming so the cheaper/free-er the better.

The Secret World does some very interesting and different things in the MMO genre, and they just went buy-to-play (pay to buy a copy, but there's no monthly fee). I don't know if you can find it cheaper than $50 retail, but it might be worth checking around.

Same with Guild Wars 2, which is more traditional in it's fantasy setting, but has slightly more actiony gameplay.

minor incident on
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular

I'm partial to the Turbine and Nexon stuff, myself. Lord of the Rings Online is pretty sweet, and has (I think) a decent amount of F2P content. Dungeons and Dragons Online is also cool, for the active blocking and the Eberon setting.
    Vindictus and Dragon Nest are pretty nice little action MMOs from Nexon.

Have you tried Minecraft? Despite not being an MMO I've had some of my best MMO-type experiences in Minecraft.

The Guild Wars series is also amazing, and has the singular advantage of only costing you up-front, with no monthly fees and very few micro-transactions.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Secret World is $15 on amazon right now.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is on Steam now. Free. I'm not sure how well it has aged, but if you just fancy a bit of chilled out exploration in a huge world, it could be worth a dabble. I can remember quite enjoying it for a short while a few years ago, before I got jaded with the whole MMORPG thing.

LoTRO is also a good shout. Topical too, with the release of The Hobbit.

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Secret world. It's $15 download on amazon right now

I like Star Trek online. Well the space combat part mostly. The away team stuff is average and that's free. Only pay for extras.

unlike old republic which uses f2p as a trial to get more subscribers while pushing away current subscribers. I don't know, biowares weird these days.

DC online seems fun. Champions has a better character creator though. Those are both free superhero options.

Guild wars 2 is great but I haven't seen it on sale for cheaper than $35 yet.

I've heard good things about lord of the rings online free.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    I forgot about DC Online - I made a character on the PS3 when I first got the system, I could go back and give that another try. Secret World sounds neat too though, as does LOTRO - I'll have to go watch a few videos of each. Secret World would like be a wait till after the holidays thing just so the wife doesn't kill me for all the Amazon purchases I've already done though :)

• Options
    There seems to be a lot of options out there, both in the smaller game designed free section and the high production value converted to free area.

I think steams free to play category might be helpful to find a lot of different choices

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Leaving within the hour. I'll see you all around Saturday. If there's any awesome posts that I miss, if someone can quote then and @ me, I'd appreciate it so I can look through them when I return.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Guys, Amazon's Winter sale has Payday: The Heist at $15 for a 4 pack. Amazing game, and a lot of people own it. What they might NOT own is the wolfpack dlc which was $10 and is right now only $2.50

http://www.amazon.com/PAYDAY-The-Heist-Wolfpack-Online/dp/B008SBHKCY/ref=pd_ys_sf_s_468642_a1_8_p

Amazing deal for the dlc, its steamworks, go get it. gogogogo.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is on Steam now. Free. I'm not sure how well it has aged, but if you just fancy a bit of chilled out exploration in a huge world, it could be worth a dabble. I can remember quite enjoying it for a short while a few years ago, before I got jaded with the whole MMORPG thing.

LoTRO is also a good shout. Topical too, with the release of The Hobbit.

There's definitely a great game in LotRO. It's one of my favorites for PVE actually, given the trait system, crafting your own legendary weapon, and left-of-center classes like Minstrel and Captain. But you will need people to group with, because you miss out on a lot of really cool areas, boss battles, and instances if you solo. Fellowship abilities are also fun, and add another layer of strategy to you and your friends' play.

On the downside, I was a lifetime subscriber, so I can't speak to the differences between Free to Play and Premium, but their DLC type sales model has always bothered me a bit, since you still end up paying for quest expansion packs and such. If you plan on seeing it all, expect to pay more than the original MSRP of the game to play it. Given that, it might be hard to convince friends to join you.

• Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    This year will be my first steam Winter sale (well, the first I have actually paid attention to) - do most items get put up on day one, or does new stuff get added throughout the period? Also, what sort of stuff ends up discounted - a little bit of everything?

• Options
    KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    Does anyone know much about Conquest of Elysium 3?

It looks interesting, but my searching (on this site and others) doesn't seem to have brought up much about it and I am sceptical that something that looks a lot like a traditional roguelike is actually worth £7...

• Options
    If its like other sales theres a huge number of games with a good discount. Usually 25-50% off a lot of games. These last the entire sale. Every day theres a set of daily sales, usually up to 75% off, or 33-50% off really new releases. It is STRONGLY recommended you do not buy any of the games on 'normal sale' before the very last day of the sale. This gives them the opportunity to be on "daily" sale which is usually much better of a discount. Also lately theres been "Flash" sales which last for 6-8 hours and are also super discounted. So the rule is usually Daily Sale -> Flash Sale -> Regular Discount.

You'll be kicking yourself if you pay $20 for a game because its discounted on the first day, then it goes on a daily 4 days in for $10. Its important not to gorge yourself on deals the very first day. Patience can pay off for games that might go daily later.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    In addition to what CorriganX said, this:

PMOMe.jpg

Unless the game in question is Jade Empire, then Steam will make it the daily the day after the sale ends, for even cheaper than it was during the sale.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    So pretty much the same deal as the Summer sale by the sounds of it then. What makes the winter one so much better - just scale and number of games available, or discount level.

It is talking all my willpower not to buy games today so the 20th can't come soon enough

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The Fall Sale this year did a better job of less repeats between Flash and Daily Sales, and I think any that did repeat were the same price. The Summer sale didn't do that this year; some items had better discounts on flashes than dailies or vice versa. I hope they stick with the Fall Sale model.

• Options
    I just sent my wife the link to stuff on the Amazon sale. I've been wanting that stupid Katy Perry Sims pack to turn my home into Willy Wonka's chocolate factory forever and it's on sale for $6.50ish!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    My wishlist is ready. Bring it sale!

Thankfully, I'll be at work during the start of it so that makes things easier. :lol:

• Options
    I thought you got rid of your wishlist to try to limit revenge gifting (like that's ever worked for anyone)

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/civ-v-goty-civ-v-gk-bundle

80% off Civ V + expansion.

also, re: Sale, I think that dailies and flash sales offer the same discount. So if you see a game you want pop up as a daily, go ahead and buy it and don't hold off, hoping it'll be a flash sale.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »
    In addition to what CorriganX said, this:

PMOMe.jpg

Unless the game in question is Jade Empire, then Steam will make it the daily the day after the sale ends, for even cheaper than it was during the sale.
    Darn, when i saw that image i was all set to make a Jade Empire joke, but you beat me to it.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I thought you got rid of your wishlist to try to limit revenge gifting (like that's ever worked for anyone)

Thats exactly what I meant.

• Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Btz14.jpg

click above for the official banner

Ok so these donations are for PA forumer anoffday to complete an Let's Play of Bad Rats before the start of the Steam Winter Sale on 12/20. The Donations will go to Child's Play at the completion.

Donations will be accepted up until the start of the Steam Holiday Sale

Attained Golas
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    If you all raise, let's give you a challenge, $1,225 dollars then I will LP something of your choosing from my Steam library. If someone is willing to gift me something (I am kinda broke) and the community wants me to LP that, then I will begrudgingly accept the gift.

Shit, If it hits $1,500 I'll LP Bad Rats and I'll even enjoy it.

Ruiner999 wrote: »
    I don't have a means to donate currently, but I'll tell you something I will do. For a paltry donation of $10 to this cause, I'll write a song complete with lyrics, vocals, and a bitching solo to be the theme of this horrible game's playing. All songs will be offered up for free download on Soundcloud in WAV, FLAC, and MP3 so you can hear how awful I am.

InkSplat wrote: »
    If someone can think of something for me to do at $2k, I'm willing to offer myself up. I'm not a forum celeb or anything, but offer is on the table! :P

milski wrote: »
    I'll also volunteer my services for a let's play or (most) anything else if we can reach 2k, and put me in for $15 because I hate myself love you guys hate myself.

Rorus Raz wrote: »
    My brother has agreed to do an LP with me, separate from my solo..."experience", if you can all raise $2,500.

So, here comes the next big thing. Do we have any other musicians? I'm thinking for an increasing donation, we could team up and record a glorious Steam thread ode to whoever with full recorded drums, bass, and guitar(provided by me). PM me or message me on Steam, name's BornToHula. Literary and musical hacks need not apply.
    simac wrote: »
    Or add another stretch goal: some form of steam thread anthem for $3000. I'm thinking "feed the world" with added spite gifting.
    There we go! That's an idea to strive for. Simac has nailed the best idea I've seen so far.

3K folks, make this happen and we'll do the thing Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson never did: A Steam anthem about missed sales and other first world problems

MAKE THIS HAPPEN

CorriganX wrote: »
    If you hit 3k ill try to record a walkthrough on ustream.

This means i will have to play through bad rats again. Fuck.

EvilBadman wrote: »
    Song goals?! Gentlemen, we need another LP goal!

3000: Make me suffer. I dare you. I will BLIND run a game of the forum's choosing.

Ongoing Goals
    Also, for paltrier donations of $5 to this cause, I'll write you your own theme song, replete with "[Blank] is the best!" and gang vocals.  All songs will be offered up for free download on Soundcloud in WAV, FLAC, and MP3 so you can hear how awful I am.

Forumers owe'd a song

Gear Girl
    Banzai5150
    Dahkath
    TPSou

Current Goals

CURRENT DONATIONS

Elvenshae $416.56 (Donation Confirmed)
    Big Isy $400.00 $344.44 (Donation Confirmed)
    KafkaAU $250.00
    Banzai5150 $220.42 (Donation Confirmed)
    Stolls $100.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    RoyceSraphim $100.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Undead Scottsman for $100.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    aerynkelly $100.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    lolo for $58.93 (in DS games) (Donation Confirmed)
    simac $53.26 (Donation Confirmed)
    mts $51.63 (Donation Confirmed)
    Idx86 for $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Roshin $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    AnakinOU $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Elderlycrawfish $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    TPSou $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Gear Girl $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Fanda $44.98 (Donation Confirmed)
    testsubject23 $40.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Dire Jay $40.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Incindium $40.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    an_alt $39.34 (Donation Confirmed)
    Muppetman $34.68 (worth of toys for Sheffield Children's Hospital from their Amazon wishlist) (Donation Confirmed)
    kal $30.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    SoulGate $30.00
    Elbasunu $30.00
    Lord Yod $25.00
    RandomHajile $25.00 (for something from the Amazon wishlist for Cincinnati Children's Hospital)
    Handgimp $25.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Dahkath $25.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Heatwave $23.00 $3.00(Donation Confirmed) balance of $20.00
    bloodatonement $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Minor Incident $20.00
    Lord_Snot $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    anoffday $20.00 little big planet vita (Donation Confirmed)
    Gaardean $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Bolthorn $20.00
    CorporateRed $20.00
    OneAngryPossum $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    initiatefailure $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    vegeta_666 $15.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    milski $15.00
    DanWeino $15.00
    HiT BiT $13.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    baudattitude $12.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    shdwcaster $10.00
    Maz- $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    SoundsPlush $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    joshgotro for $10.00
    UreshiiAkuma $10.00
    Elin $10.00
    rikdaly $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Custom Special $10.00
    Krummith $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Stragint $10.00
    cardboard delusions $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Viking $10.00
    striderjg $10.00
    staplerofpaper $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Xenogear_0001 $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Spoit $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)

Total

$3012.80

Post for the new page. I'll keep this one updated as we go along.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    alright i think that's everyone on my end if not let me know. i also need to check my math as i and Minor have different totals.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    BTW Prooffening
    coqKW.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    kal wrote: »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO ACTUAL DONATIONS NEED TO GO OUT AT THIS TIME.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might want to remove that line.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    @kal - can you PM me your email address? I'll forward you my proof, as I can't effectively post a screen cap of the data on my tablet.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Has anyone posted this THQ "we so broke" bundle yet? Metro 2033 (which is free), both new Red Factions, Space Marine, Homefront (ew), and the first STALKER for $7.50 on Steam.

• Options
    If anyone wants to compare my data with Kal's and do some quick fixing, I'd appreciate it.

Also, SO CLOSE TO $3000!

• Options
    edited December 2012
    also my proof
    donation_zpscda47870.jpg

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    @kal, I'm missing from your confirmed list:
    Child%2527s%2520Play%2520PROOF.jpg

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    @kal, I'm missing from your confirmed list:
    Child%2527s%2520Play%2520PROOF.jpg

gotcha

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Since Even numbers are better and so @Big Isy doesn't have to wait till later....
    Child%27s%20Play%20part%20Deux.png

p.s. Take that mister no Wish List.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Aw, 17 dollars short of 3000. I win, suckers.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Sent my proof to Kal.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    More of you need Far Cry 3. It saddens me that I only have 2 friends who play it.

This discussion has been closed.