As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Island PR come up with most appalling idea in history of gaming PR

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I kinda have to agree with fawst on this, upon first seeing it i immediately thought it was ugly and couldn't see why anyone would ever purchase it, but that was it. After reading the first few pages with people throwing out serial killer rapists and promoting violence against women etc it got me a bit more riled up and i was viewing it in a worse light, but at the same time i think people might be reading too much into it. Stupid marketing ploy? yes. Does it mean the company's out to get women and we should all boycott it? ehhhhhh, i think we might be breaking out the pitchforks and torches too soon.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    A man in a speedo isn't sexist or exploitative for the same reason calling a white person a cracker isn't racist. Power dynamics render the latter situation toothless, white people have the luxury of not giving a fuck.
    Pardon me while I roll me eyes, because this:
    rockrnger wrote: »
    If this was a man, beat the hell up, with a speedo covering on the tip of his penis that would be complety horrible too. There just wouldn't be anyone arguing the other way.
    ...would definitely be just as horrible in terms of being exploitative. And for the record, calling a white person a cracker is racist; the boards prohibit racist terms, but you'll get a free pass on that because it applies to "only" white people. And if it's okay to say something racist about one color of people but not the others, that's racism.

Regardless, this is pretty obviously a sexually exploitative piece of trouble right here, regardless of which gender it would've been in. Not great for a company which was caught red-handed with decidely inappropriate phrasings in the coding of their last game.

Horrible? Yes. It would still be a reprehensible and mind boggling piece of PR even if it was a man's torso. But sexually exploitative? Haha, is funny joke!. Women have legitimate cause to feel threatened by things like this in our culture, men do not.

Privilege is a thing. Which is, again, why cracker is an absolutely toothless term that warrants no serious attention in our culture. White people don't have to care, just like men wouldn't have much cause to do much but shrug their shoulders and look vaguely baffled if this situation was reversed. They aren't in realistic danger of being raped and dismembered, women are.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    Are people personally offended by this or are they saying it's stupid because they know that the hive mind will deem it so?

You're an idiot.

Because I ask questions? Guess you've got a lot of idiots on this board, yourself included.

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Man it's been 3 pages and already I've seen more than one "Pff none of you would care if this was a guy torso" responses.

I'm torn between a) explaining to people who likely will not listen anyway why that is completely irrelevant given the context of unequal treatment of men and women in general and how yes the sexualization aspect matters and b) drinking.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    an irrational reaction is saying the whole game industry is filled with misogynist assholes and we need to burn the lot of them at the stake or whatever.

Who is saying this, exactly?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I kinda have to agree with fawst on this, upon first seeing it i immediately thought it was ugly and couldn't see why anyone would ever purchase it, but that was it. After reading the first few pages with people throwing out serial killer rapists and promoting violence against women etc it got me a bit more riled up and i was viewing it in a worse light, but at the same time i think people might be reading too much into it. Stupid marketing ploy? yes. Does it mean the companies out to get women and we should all boycott it? ehhhhhh, i think we might be breaking out the pitchforks and torches too soon.

It's a cultural / big-picture thing. A piece of the puzzle, if you will. Also, more behavior from the developer / publisher that makes them appear to not think much of women.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    If you dont find this immediately offensive, you might want to go get your head checked out

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Just remember that everybody lives their own life and isn't 100% aware of everything that goes on in their own company. Condemning everybody at that company because of this statue created by a few is a horribly irresponsible attitude; everybody here has been tangentially related to some sort of event they would not have personally approved of. How great do you think it would be to have a permanent black mark on you because you opened the door for somebody in a hurry and they turned out to be a fugitive on the run?

I'm not saying this isn't horrible and there are some nasty individuals involved, just pointing out that people do bad things, not the company. I'm all for getting the company to deal with those individuals in the right way (OUT THE DOOR, FACE-FIRST, IN THE AIR), but not at all the idea that, given what we know of the company, hoping for Bad Things to happen to everybody at the company. We have some evidence of some crappy people, but that is by no means all-encompassing evidence of some massive frat-party of a development company where every last person is complicit.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Are people personally offended by this or are they saying it's stupid because they know that the hive mind will deem it so?

You're an idiot.

Because I ask questions? Guess you've got a lot of idiots on this board, yourself included.

Did you rape and murder a girl in 1990, Glenn Beck?

I'm just asking questions! You know? I think that's important. I'm not saying anything I'm just asking questions.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Contrary to the common belief, there is absolutely such a thing as a stupid question.

• Options

You're an idiot.

You seriously see nothing wrong with the mutilated torso of a woman in skimpy clothing being a thing you can buy?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    an irrational reaction is saying the whole game industry is filled with misogynist assholes and we need to burn the lot of them at the stake or whatever.

It's this dude:
    Strawman_strikes_again.jpg

Can't have people address the sexism in the gaming industry or we'll slide down the slippery slope of murder, and let's not forget censorship.

PreciousBodilyFluids on
  • Options
    Just remember that everybody lives their own life and isn't 100% aware of everything that goes on in their own company. Condemning everybody at that company because of this statue created by a few is a horribly irresponsible attitude; everybody here has been tangentially related to some sort of event they would not have personally approved of. How great do you think it would be to have a permanent black mark on you because you opened the door for somebody in a hurry and they turned out to be a fugitive on the run?

I'm not saying this isn't horrible and there are some nasty individuals involved, just pointing out that people do bad things, not the company. I'm all for getting the company to deal with those individuals in the right way (OUT THE DOOR, FACE-FIRST, IN THE AIR), but not at all the idea that, given what we know of the company, hoping for Bad Things to happen to everybody at the company. We have some evidence of some crappy people, but that is by no means all-encompassing evidence of some massive frat-party of a development company where every last person is complicit.

Their end product is ridiculously offensive. I will absofuckinglutely condemn the whole company because of it. That's not irresponsible; it's literally the only option we have. I can't choose who the profits go to if I buy the game.

• Options
    Hooray, I'm insulted and infracted for asking questions! Come see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!

Come on guys, if you're going to have a super mod calling people idiots for asking questions and then infract them for defending themselves... oh fuck it, who cares?
    If you dont find this immediately offensive, you might want to go get your head checked out

I'm an American. I play violent video games, watch violent movies (made in a variety of countries) and I enjoy violent sports. I'm not an insane person for not being offended by this.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I want to add my thoughts to this, but I can't really say anything other than I'm just kind of in shock that enough people thought this was a good idea that it got done.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hooray, I'm insulted and infracted for asking questions! Come see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!

Come on guys, if you're going to have a super mod calling people idiots for asking questions and then infract them for defending themselves... oh fuck it, who cares?

No, you were infracted for breaking the glorious edict. If you have further questions about your infraction, use the private messaging system.

• Options
    Jesus. Maybe the "video games cause violence" people are right. If this doesnt set off a single alarm in your head welp

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

You're an idiot.

You seriously see nothing wrong with the mutilated torso of a woman in skimpy clothing being a thing you can buy?

I see what's wrong with the nature of it. I see why others (and myself) wouldn't want to own it. But I'm not angry about it. That's the difference. A lot of people here are ready to punch someone in the face over it.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Every time something like this happens I'm pretty sure I'm losing a month off my life due to how much it angries up my blood.

Like, it's just.. ugh. I feel like I'm trying to climb a mountain of sand because we just keep regressing.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Nobody at all. It's not an accusation, just an illustration. There's a lot of attitude here that amounts to "I hope the company fails and dies for being stupid", and it's easy to forget that most of the people that work for companies that might get torpedoed by an event like this didn't have anything to actually do with the torpedo, but could easily end up condemned to some serious personal difficulties because of overreaction to something legitimately bad even though they may have very well had nothing to do with it.

Moderation of reaction is all I'm saying, at least in reference to making sure we react to the right individuals and not condemn a bunch of people uninvolved with this mess.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's incredibly tasteless and completely indefensible. (totally late to the party, re: OP)

It's a fine line though, regarding the question of "do I play it, do I buy it?"

As TSR said earlier, it's highly unlikely this was anything but in an incredibly piss poor marketing decision and I suspect quite a few people who actually made the game are pretty furious about it too.

Not buying it tells the company "no, fuck you, that was shit, and you don't deserve any of my money" which is perfectly legitimate. Not buying it also says "Sorry dev team, the game you worked hard on and could very well be a good game doesn't get my money because of a decision that is completely out of your hands, and this probably endangers your job at no fault of your own" which is also a legitimate concern.

What I'm saying is, I don't have any clue. Maybe I should get around to actually playing the first game sometime since it's just sitting in my Steam library. :rotate:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

I'm an American. I play violent video games, watch violent movies (made in a variety of countries) and I enjoy violent sports. I'm not an insane person for not being offended by this.

But you certainly seem to think it's very weird that others are.

It's weird you cared enough to keep on posting after you clearly stated your "I don't care why do you guys care" attitude.

Almost as if you do care, just not about acting against sexism.

• Options
    Contrary to the common belief, there is absolutely such a thing as a stupid question.

Yeah, there is, but mine wasn't an example. You have your take on it, I have mine. I could have worded it differently. Something along the lines of "are people personally offended by this, or are they feeding off the shock of others?" It seems like the level of anger shot through the roof, quickly.

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Does it mean the company's out to get women and we should all boycott it? ehhhhhh, i think we might be breaking out the pitchforks and torches too soon.

It's still possible to do misogynistic things without either being aware of it, or fully understanding why it's wrong, or being slightly aware and just not caring about the message that it sends. And that's the problem at large. The ones that are actively "out to get women" are a minority that mostly hangs out in echo chambers like Reddit and the comments sections of video game blogs.

See also: http://writer.inklestudios.com/stories/bpfh

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

You're an idiot.

I see what's wrong with the nature of it. I see why others (and myself) wouldn't want to own it. But I'm not angry about it. That's the difference. A lot of people here are ready to punch someone in the face over it.

I like video games, and shit like this doesn't do the medium or its fans, any favors.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Let me try to help you understand one of the angles on this.

Video games have been fighting a big PR battle for the last, 10, 20 years. And it is a steep uphill battle. It's a mix of fighting the perception that people who play video games are lazy fucks, and video games are violent and are the cause of society's ills. This CE statue thing? This does not help the latter by a long shot. That is just one part why a lot of us are going, "FUCK!"

The rest I'm going to leave up to you.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Jesus. Maybe the "video games cause violence" people are right. If this doesnt set off a single alarm in your head welp

Regardless of your position on the issue, I do not think that implied insults are going to make a very good point, especially when you imply that people who don't immediately see this as ultra offensive (for whatever reason; actual sexism, actual sociopathy, having seen far worse, having seen enough it just fades out as background noise) are not just those things but also violent.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

I say this for your own good - sometimes you just have to know when to keep your mouth shut, dude. Not about your opinions, but clearly when someone in authority over you is watching what you say and going through measures to punish you for saying it, you should probably think twice about continuing to post it.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, that's incredibly tasteless and completely indefensible. (totally late to the party, re: OP)

As TSR said earlier, it's highly unlikely this was anything but in an incredibly piss poor marketing decision and I suspect quite a few people who actually made the game are pretty furious about it too.

Not buying it tells the company "no, fuck you, that was shit, and you don't deserve any of my money" which is perfectly legitimate. Not buying it also says "Sorry dev team, the game you worked hard on and could very well be a good game doesn't get my money because of a decision that is completely out of your hands, and this probably endangers your job at no fault of your own" which is also a legitimate concern.

What I'm saying is, I don't have any clue. Maybe I should get around to actually playing the first game sometime since it's just sitting in my Steam library. :rotate:

Clearly I'm going to have to spend the better part of the day digging up articles on sexism in the videogame industry or something, because I find it mind blowing that you people think that this was some nefarious plot by a secret society within the company that no one ever knew about.

Gaming, IT, technology jobs in general have a trend of sexism in both the audience and in the profession.

The fact that statues of mutilated womens torsos with magnificent globular breasts were manufactured probably says a lot about the company behind it, not just the marketing department.

Fiaryn on
  • Options

No, you're just the end result we're all trying to stop. Someone who doesn't see the issue and refuses to see it no matter how much proof is put in front of him.

• Options

You're an idiot.

Man.

What exactly is your argument here? Like what is your contribution to all this besides being the guy who says "well I don't care guys"?

Like staying away from terms like anger or offense, what do you think about it? Do you at least see how it's not okay, regardless of whether it actually upsets you?

• Options
    Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    I find that CE statue incredibly offensive, but I liked the first Dead Island (Having just finished it about two weeks ago), and intend on buying the sequel, guess I just won't buy the CE edition. Not that I would have anyway, if it ain't on steam, its not actually a game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    That's... certainly a thing that somebody with poor judgement thought was a good idea or clever... or... what. :|

"Here is a thing I can display in my house so that people can now think even less of me!"

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited January 2013

It's this dude:
    Strawman_strikes_again.jpg

Can't have people address the sexism in the gaming industry or we'll slide down the slippery slope of murder, and let's not forget censorship.

No, that is one hundred percent the kind of overreaction that makes a decent response to this so difficult. It took literally minutes for somebody to jump to a vast swath of conclusions concerning what I said; I didn't even have time to explain why handling this with a modicum of decorum and restraint is valuable before somebody passively-aggressively jumped down my throat over it.

A surge of outrage at a bunch of faceless people at a company we know little about besides two stupid, offensive events doesn't solve anything. Being mad is fine, being so offended that you criticize folks for saying "stop and think first" is a genuine problem unto itself. I'd rather see something good come of this, like getting the individuals involved removed from the game industry and the incident being a warning to the industry in general, than see a lot of bluster get thrown around and uninvolved people get canned for having the poor fortune of working for the wrong company at the wrong time.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

You're an idiot.

Actually, no one is. I'm ready to not buy the game and that's about as far as I needs to go. I'm much angrier at the people who are, amazingly, actually trying to defend shit like this.

I actually just saw a comment elsewhere calling anyone upset by this "gay". It's a like a mobius strip of stupid offensiveness.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular

No, you're just the end result we're all trying to stop. Someone who doesn't see the issue and refuses to see it no matter how much proof is put in front of him.

That is going a bit far, isn't it? Fawst is not the personification of evil and sexism, he is just an opinionated guy who is not used to the forum.

• Options

No, you were infracted for breaking the glorious edict. If you have further questions about your infraction, use the private messaging system.

And be ignored like the last time I PM'd about my being (in my opinion) unjustly infracted? Not bloody likely.

But you certainly seem to think it's very weird that others are.

It's weird you cared enough to keep on posting after you clearly stated your "I don't care why do you guys care" attitude.

Almost as if you do care, just not about acting against sexism.

It's an interesting discussion, that's why I'm still posting about it. I'm genuinely surprised at the level of offense people have over this. Tube considered banning conversation about the game in general. You don't find that to be surprisingly reactionary?

Here's why I don't care as much as some people: it's a prop from a game about zombies in which people are mutilated and dismembered. My level of discomfort over this statue is the childish interpretation of breasts and the shoddy work done on it from a quality perspective. Misogyny doesn't come into it because I flat out do not believe that the people who made it hate women. You know, what a misogynist actually does.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Clearly I'm going to have to spend the better part of the day digging up articles on sexism in the videogame industry or something, because I find it mind blowing that you people think that this was some nefarious plot by a secret society within the company that no one ever knew about.

Gaming, IT, technology jobs in general have a trend of sexism in both the audience and in the profession.

The fact that statues of mutilated womens torsos with magnificent globular breasts were manufactured probably says a lot about the company behind it, not just the marketing department.

Yes, secret societies within companies! That was totally said by anyone!

You don't think that maybe not everyone working at the company is a sexist shithead? Possibly? That there are people there that had nothing to do with the decision to do something really fucking stupid? People that are probably pissed off at it too?

No, no, you're right. It's much better to condemn them all and paint that brush as wide as possible. They're probably all hateful and terrible people.

Every single one.

Nothing wrong with that logic!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

Nobody at all. It's not an accusation, just an illustration.

So you were making it up.
    There's a lot of attitude here that amounts to "I hope the company fails and dies for being stupid",

Pretty sure no one said that either.
    Moderation of reaction is all I'm saying, at least in reference to making sure we react to the right individuals and not condemn a bunch of people uninvolved with this mess.

The only reaction so far is "I'm not buying that game". That's a completely appropriate reaction. So you just seem to be making shit up.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I like crazy batshit stuff as much as anyone.....but I really don't see any value in this.

Unless your a huge zombie fan with tons of batshit stuff where this would be less of a stand out item than another one of the macabre.

This discussion has been closed.