As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two Harbaughs Enter, One Harbaugh Leaves! [NFL]

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Marth wrote: »
    The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made yesterday, and have addressed the matter with Chris. There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community.

I'm glad we're at the point where a team will just straight-up disagree with a player on something like this. Granted, it's the 49ers, so they have an added reason of not pissing off their community, but it's something.

edit: More importantly, it came just hours after that story was posted.

yeah, there wasn't even time for their to be a blowback really, the team just immediately called out their player over it. which is a lot more meaningful than if they do it in lawyer-y language a week later.

also hmm, my shift button appears to be on the fritz

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    "The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel. It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience.”

Looks like somebody got yelled at by upper management.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Super Bowl media week: some people just shouldn't be in national spotlight

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Artie Lange interviewing a backup cornerback.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel

Wait...wut?

Are the thoughts in your head not how you feel?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I'm still sort of mulling over Randy Moss's comments. I wish that he had a Joe Montana and Steve Young like Rice did. Like if Tom Brady and he were paired for most of their respective careers.

Goose! on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    That guy's twitter is a gold mine

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I'm still sort of mulling over Randy Moss's comments. I wish that he had a Joe Montana and Steve Young like Rice did. Like if Tom Brady and he were paired for most of their respective careers.

He'd have fucked it up, it's the same thing as Terrell Owens for me. Even if physically they were in the "most talented receiver ever" their selfishness and inability to play nice with others ruins it for me. Jerry Rice wasn't just a phenomenal player, he was a good teammate and it seems like everyone still likes him and I think that matters.

It's kinda like the discussion in basketball about whether LeBron James will ever be recognized as the best basketball player ever and in my mind the answer is definitely no. Michael Jordan was a complete sociopath about winning and would do whatever whenever to make that happen and he made that clear multiple times over the course of his career and in my mind that's a GOAT quality that LeBron doesn't share.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel

Wait...wut?

Are the thoughts in your head not how you feel?

He's saying that he believes popular opinion dictates that he was right, but that he hopes he's wrong.

I....I think?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Donald Driver announced his retirement on Mike & Mike.

Dan Marino had a secret lovechild in 2005 with a CBS employee that he paid millions to keep quiet about it.

The Starter Jacket is back.

And Sports Illustrated is awesome for printing this in their Super Bowl preview:

enhanced-buzz-6010-1359506765-1.jpg

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I remember my starter jacket when I was a kid, good shit.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    oh man, i would totally buy a starter jacket for hte seahawks

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Wouldn't both Harbaughs leave though? I mean, neither of them actually live in New Orleans.

• Options
    ubuntuubuntu Registered User regular
    One of the Kardashian's have doomed the 49ers by rooting for them

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Wouldn't both Harbaughs leave though? I mean, neither of them actually live in New Orleans.

one of the more obscure rules of the nfl states that if two brothers face each other in the superbowl, the winner must behead the loser on the 50 yard line after the game is over

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    If Marino had a love child with that woman, she's delusional if she ever expected him to leave his wife for her. Marino doesn't get rings for anyone or for any reason.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    If Marino had a love child with that woman, she's delusional if she ever expected him to leave his wife for her. Marino doesn't get rings for anyone or for any reason.

There's no if. Marino doesn't even deny it.
    This is a personal and private matter. I take full responsibility both personally and financially for my actions now as I did then. We mutually agreed to keep our arrangement private to protect all parties involved.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »

There's no if. Marino doesn't even deny it.
    This is a personal and private matter. I take full responsibility both personally and financially for my actions now as I did then. We mutually agreed to keep our arrangement private to protect all parties involved.

Keep thinking about it Butters...

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Isn't there a clip on the CBS pregame show where everyone was talking about their super bowl rings and Marino looked like he wanted to kill somebody?

• Options
    I didn't miss the very thinly veiled joke, Hunter. I just ignored it.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    I didn't miss the very thinly veiled joke, Hunter. I just ignored it.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    And Sports Illustrated is awesome for printing this in their Super Bowl preview:

enhanced-buzz-6010-1359506765-1.jpg

If only the Jews had an NFL Playoffs, it all could have been awkwardly avoided.

• Options
    All hail the San Francisco Neunundvierzigs!

• Options
    So Kaepernick gets free Red Robin burgers for life if he wins the Super Bowl.

I'm not quite sure if that's supposed to be an incentive or a deterrent.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

He'd have fucked it up, it's the same thing as Terrell Owens for me. Even if physically they were in the "most talented receiver ever" their selfishness and inability to play nice with others ruins it for me. Jerry Rice wasn't just a phenomenal player, he was a good teammate and it seems like everyone still likes him and I think that matters.

It's kinda like the discussion in basketball about whether LeBron James will ever be recognized as the best basketball player ever and in my mind the answer is definitely no. Michael Jordan was a complete sociopath about winning and would do whatever whenever to make that happen and he made that clear multiple times over the course of his career and in my mind that's a GOAT quality that LeBron doesn't share.

Eh, I don't think Moss is anything like TO. He's closer to Cris Carter, who comes across as arrogant, but has the talent to back it up. Moss's drive wasn't up to par, but everything else about him seems to be.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »

Let me tell you about Red Robin...

Hella over-rated

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    it's hard to overrate free though

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »

Let me tell you about Red Robin...

Hella over-rated

i've never even heard anyone 'rate' it. didn't even know it had a reputation

i like their fries, especially being bottomless, and their blue cheeseburger is pretty good for what it is (a bit pricey but I don't go there much anyway).

that is my experience with red robin

• Options
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    TjDDehK.jpg

The artist titled this piece " The Last Smile"

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    please don't do that.

• Options
    I like this pic of Bill better

uoGiAbO.jpg

• Options
    I'm lost in Bill's eyes. So longing, so strong. I'll give you everything I've got.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    A series of anti-gay remarks made by San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver cast the Super Bowl-bound team in a negative light just days ahead of the NFL championship game.

Though Culliver has since apologized for the controversial statements, the backlash seems unlikely to dissipate now that a new wrinkle has emerged. The 49ers' linebacker Ahmad Brooks and nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga, both of whom participated in the team's widely-praised "It Gets Better" video last summer, have denied ever producing the clip.

The players told USA Today Sports that they didn't realize the video's aim was to specifically combat bullying experienced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) teens.

"This is America and if someone wants to be gay, they can be gay," Brooks told the publication. "But I didn't make any video." Later, after he was reportedly shown the video on an iPhone, the player clarified, "Oh, that. It was an anti-bullying video, not a gay [rights] video."

Even more curiously, Sopoaga also denied taking part in the clip, even as a teammate reportedly tried to jog his memory. "I never went," he declared. "And now someone is using my name."

on the plus side, Donte Whitner:
    I actually do feel differently from what Chris said. We are NFL players, but we are humans also. Who knows? There could be somebody gay in our locker room right now that's scared to come out, which he has a right to be if he is scared to come out because of all of this and how other teammates might feel. But I feel like anybody can be who they want to be if they want to be that. As long as you don't disrespect other people and go about your own business in your way, I don't see what the problem is.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I like red robin a lot

especially their bonzai burger

and dipping their fries in the campfire sauce

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    that's.... weird?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I like this pic of Bill better

uoGiAbO.jpg

Having tapes of your opponent's practice sessions helps too. Just saying...right Bill ;-)

Hunter on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

Eh, I don't think Moss is anything like TO. He's closer to Cris Carter, who comes across as arrogant, but has the talent to back it up. Moss's drive wasn't up to par, but everything else about him seems to be.

I think their career arcs are very similar but you're right that they're very different players.

Moss seemed like a good teammate and was fine in the locker room but was oddly prone to giving up on plays or occasionally entire seasons.

TO brought it on the field all day every day but was so toxic in the locker room that he wore out his welcome everywhere he went, to the point that he was still physically capable of being dominant but nobody would touch him.

Same result, different reasons: insanely talented receivers whose careers and accomplishments are going to be completely overshadowed by their reputations.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    TO would have overcome a lot of his personal shortcomings if he had more reliable hands like Moss or Carter. His personal work ethic is unmatched and he never showed up to camp in less than superior shape. But then he drops two easy touchdown passes in a crucial game and you can't turn a blind eye to his bullshit anymore.

Butters on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Having a hard time making any plans for this Super Bowl. Might just end up watching it at home by myself this year.

This discussion has been closed.