As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Endless [Chat]

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    my mom's check engine light came on and she's super pissed at me and claiming I ruined her car because I forgot to get the oil changed last month

apparently I'm a lazy worthless piece of shit who should kill himself

To be clear, don't even know what's wrong with it (it runs fine)

The car has become sentient and is full of malice.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Geth digs philosophy of counter-factual linguistics.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Aww yeah, it came. $350.

koreanmonitor.jpg

27" 2560x1440 IPS panel from Korea the lesser.

How's the backlighting, I hear one of the main issues with them is that they tend to have really inconsistent backlighting, but if it ain't no thang....

shut-up-and-take-my-money-23274.jpg

The backlighting is definitely why it was rejected from premium panels. The light bleed is not great and one corner is noticeably brighter on a black screen.

THAT SAID

It's a million times better than any other $350 monitor. Most cheap monitors have just as bad of light leakage and non-uniformity. This is almost comically better. It's literally a $1000 panel with a slightly funky backlight. I love it.

Edit: Here's as bad as it gets on a totally black screen.

backlight_leakage.jpg

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Dammmmmmit trapped in a booth with dudes must eacapeeeeeeeee gimme another vodka so I can fly awayyyyy

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    _J_ wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I mean I get that people become super attached to models and labels and categories, but it's still weird to me. I fundamentally accept that models are distillations of reality, and labels and categories are ad-hoc mechanisms designed to cluster things such that we may make predictions based on other traits. They're useful, but fundamentally lose the fine focus of reality and thus will have things that are categorized where we wouldn't expect them, or our categories fail in some other way. But since they're just our self-imposed ideas over a very unusual and strange world, it makes sense that that would happen. We're just trying to impose things to order a chaotic world.

So my instinct is to say "yeah, this is pretty much just a tool and fails to account for plenty of things," while other people try frantically to save what amounts to figments of their imaginations.

We tend to have fucked up ideas of similarity. We tend to have fucked up ideas of what constitutes a "thing".

Pretty much. Most often we take a cluster of common correlates, assign them to once distinct category, then flip out when the correlates are either not correlated well in one case or are correlated together mostly, except for one that we assign special importance to.

Also broad biological classification is, thanks to genetic analysis of evolutionary lineages, becoming less arbitrary. "Anything from this set of ancestors is a mammal" is pretty good. I'd argue that the problem there isn't mammalia being a bad class, it's that what a scientist uses to classify a mammal rigorously is different from what a lay person does without thought.

This is why I think it would be very interested to have access to the possible world in which Plato and Aristotle never happened: Human beings without reified categories, who priviledge the particular above the abstract general categorization.

I don't know how people language in that possible world, or go to the store and buy ingredients for a cake, but I still suppose it's an awesome possible world.

Just an entire species of denoters whose primary lingustic designation is "this".

It might require a new psychology, but yeah it would be interesting.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I don't give a flying fuck about gender so call yourself whatever you want

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I have to fire it up in Windows to download it. Sad face.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I mean I get that people become super attached to models and labels and categories, but it's still weird to me. I fundamentally accept that models are distillations of reality, and labels and categories are ad-hoc mechanisms designed to cluster things such that we may make predictions based on other traits. They're useful, but fundamentally lose the fine focus of reality and thus will have things that are categorized where we wouldn't expect them, or our categories fail in some other way. But since they're just our self-imposed ideas over a very unusual and strange world, it makes sense that that would happen. We're just trying to impose things to order a chaotic world.

So my instinct is to say "yeah, this is pretty much just a tool and fails to account for plenty of things," while other people try frantically to save what amounts to figments of their imaginations.

We tend to have fucked up ideas of similarity. We tend to have fucked up ideas of what constitutes a "thing".

Pretty much. Most often we take a cluster of common correlates, assign them to once distinct category, then flip out when the correlates are either not correlated well in one case or are correlated together mostly, except for one that we assign special importance to.

Also broad biological classification is, thanks to genetic analysis of evolutionary lineages, becoming less arbitrary. "Anything from this set of ancestors is a mammal" is pretty good. I'd argue that the problem there isn't mammalia being a bad class, it's that what a scientist uses to classify a mammal rigorously is different from what a lay person does without thought.

This is why I think it would be very interested to have access to the possible world in which Plato and Aristotle never happened: Human beings without reified categories, who priviledge the particular above the abstract general categorization.

I don't know how people language in that possible world, or go to the store and buy ingredients for a cake, but I still suppose it's an awesome possible world.

Just an entire species of denoters whose primary lingustic designation is "this".

So long Freudian penis envy; hello non linguistic descriptors!

I think it's going to take a long time for what _J_ proposes to be something accepted or even discussed broadly in society. It's a sad state of affairs but at least somewhat understandable.

488W936.png
  • Options
    I wish liquor stores didn't close so early in this tiny little town. I want vodka.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Explaining emotion and state through some new non linguistic means would probably be the ideal; telepathy or some kind of mind-consciousness melding. A kind of intimacy that might even make our species unable to bring harm against itself again, or at least make it much harder to categorize the other.

It's not just sexuality; it's everything.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »

I think it's going to take a long time for what _J_ proposes to be something accepted or even discussed broadly in society. It's a sad state of affairs but at least somewhat understandable.

Ludious had a somewhat interesting story about how in the south it can be easy to get people on board with trans stuff by treating it as a medical issue; something they already understand and accept. Contrast that with homosexuality, which can't really be cast so. I think it's the same thing here, go too far and you're crazy. You have to get there by playing a bullshit game and basically hopping along a bunch of discrete points towards the end game.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Must..., escape..... Gaaahhhh

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Ludious had a somewhat interesting story about how in the south it can be easy to get people on board with trans stuff by treating it as a medical issue; something they already understand and accept. Contrast that with homosexuality, which can't really be cast so. I think it's the same thing here, go too far and you're crazy. You have to get there by playing a bullshit game and basically hopping along a bunch of discrete points towards the end game.

That was me actually, not Luds.

• Options
    Explaining emotion and state through some new non linguistic means would probably be the ideal; telepathy or some kind of mind-consciousness melding. A kind of intimacy that might even make our species unable to bring harm against itself again, or at least make it much harder to categorize the other.

Sure.

Though, we don't need to get to that stage in order to solve most of the problems. We already have many of the words we need. It's just a matter of getting people to abandon the simple binary categories and utilize longer self-descriptions that apply to shorter spans of time.

• Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIiUqfxFttM

488W936.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    this whiskey waited ten years for me to taste it

and now it's gone ;o

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Booze&sexuality

It must be another Friday night [chat]

I am severely sober and mildly straight

What's good?

• Options
    Booze&sexuality

What's good?

An abstract concept.

• Options
    Booze&sexuality

What's good?

Vodka and anything with a pulse and hole?

488W936.png
  • Options

Oh, sorry! He must have been complaining about the south and controlled substances at the same time or something.

• Options
    Booze&sexuality

What's good?

Doesn't even need a pulse now, if it had one a short time ago.

• Options
    Booze&sexuality

What's good?

Doesn't even need a pulse now, if it had one a short time ago.

I don't care what anyone says, you are delightful.

488W936.png
  • Options
    I am surrounded by cats. And a dog.

There are five mammals within touching distance of me.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I am home, about to eat some mac and cheese

• Options

:winky:

488W936.png
  • Options

Well, I am one of the mammals, so :P

• Options

It is a good Friday night.

488W936.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I am home, about to eat some mac and cheese

Now I want mac and cheese.

You jerk.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Oh, sorry! He must have been complaining about the south and controlled substances at the same time or something.

Well we both live in the south and are snarky so there is room for confusion. :lol:

Not that I especially need credit for my observation, just I happened to see your post and there didn't seem to be a good reason to let it be misattributed to Luds.

• Options
    Well, it's good that you pointed it out. I'd much rather have the story straight. I dislike incorrectness.

It is funny how wrong memory can be.

• Options

Sure.

Though, we don't need to get to that stage in order to solve most of the problems. We already have many of the words we need. It's just a matter of getting people to abandon the simple binary categories and utilize longer self-descriptions that apply to shorter spans of time.

English is a horrible language for the thing you want.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

Physician, heel thyself

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »

Sure.

Indeed.

But, you work with what you were colonized with, amrite?

488W936.png
  • Options

Sure.

English is a horrible language for most things most people want.

• Options
    I've been making up a language for my story that I use in private. It helps me remember things by allowing me to sing them more easily then I would in English.

488W936.png
  • Options

Sure.

English is a horrible language for most things most people want.

I blame it's mother.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    English is a great language for me being employed.

• Options

Sure.

There aren't really man languages that don't kind of rely on conglomeration of different variables under one broad category.

I mean even C has structs.

• Options
    I've been making up a language for my story that I use in private. It helps me remember things by allowing me to sing them more easily then I would in English.

I want to learn the language this guy invented.

I'd also like to be that guy.

This discussion has been closed.