Options

Math [chat]

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    things old people like in their ramen: bean sprouts, mushrooms, egg, cabbage, spinach

also what I'm guessing ronya likes in his ramen :3

egg is delish

I want this

#1 Tonkotsu Original.................................................................8.50
    Creamy pork noodle soup with pork belly, marinated egg, wood ear mushroom and
    scallions

but the place is only open for dinner and I guess it's small and the lines are long

http://www.ramen-tatsuya.com/menu/RamenTatsu-Ya_SoftMenu.pdf

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    If there are any Farscape fans in [chat] who don't already own the series on dvd or bluray, Amazon's gold box deal today is just that. 61% off for the bluray and 69% off for dvd.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I've never lived around all that much forest so I don't really know my mushrooms

know my way around berries and other things you'll find in the mountains and anything that lives in the shoals.

What sort of berries grow around where you live? When I was hiking the Appalachian trail, I was so excited to find that not only do berries grow here, I don't even need to be some kind of berry expert. They're literally blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.

yeah I know you just

plop 'em in your mouth and eat*

if you're hiking before the snow comes and everyone does not return with blue fingers and blue mouths it's hiking done wrong.

*except the black crowberries which you have to chew very carefully and then spit out the rest, otherwise they're bitter. You can make lovely squash with them though.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    No, Henroid. Hitting a child's face is completely unacceptable, and your position is awful.

You're right, 12 year old Timmy will totally understand that dropping the n-bomb is unacceptable just because I say not to say it and take his video games away for a month.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    and people wonder why I don't get a microphone

most microphones come with a swanky "mute" feature that allow you to toggle its activation to friendly environs only

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    babby has ear infection

8467865287_e924be939a.jpg

D :

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Making the argument that authorial intent is not sovereign is a lot weaker when you're talking about literal narrative events rather than thematic implications

Perhaps, but some narratives are garbled, ambiguous, or deceptive.

In the specific jokey post that lead to this conversation (Ned Stark and Syrio Forel), the narrative could not have been more clear and to interpret those events differently is to stop reading the book as written. Think of it like... uh, people still being on team Jacob after Edward and Bella's wedding or deciding that Bruce Willis was really alive the whole time in the sixth sense and the movie's events were actually an illuminati plot to drive him insane.
    I'm Team that doctor with the fantastic hair

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    babby has ear infection
    D :
    Babby: "this is the worst thing ever."

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    No, Henroid. Hitting a child's face is completely unacceptable, and your position is awful.

You're right, 12 year old Timmy will totally understand that dropping the n-bomb is unacceptable just because I say not to say it and take his video games away for a month.

yes the only way to control the bad language of 12 year olds is smacking them in the face

\0/

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

I'm too lazy to have a serious conversation with my child, better hit 'im?

I never said the n-word and yet I never got punched in the mouth either!

I'm a fucking miracle?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    You could replicate that fairly easily (can't believe I forgot about scallions, old people obsession number 1)

bread pork cutlets as usual, slice them into thin strips after cooking
    slice shrooms up as desired
    marinate eggs in whatever soy-based sauce you desire
    dice scallions

throw all that into a stone bowl with a good instant ramen (good = literally nothing on the label is in english)

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

I hate that it comes to this kind of decision though. I mean really, with communities like this one, you could at least have a microphone to interact with the people you do know (to some extent), and then just set it aside if you're in total-random-ville on the net.

I'm not saying you're making a wrong decision, to be clear. I'm saying that the whole situation is so bad that it leads to this.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I'm going to over to my parents' house to watch the basketball game with my dad, and since it's Mardi Gras we figured we'd try making something appropriately New Orleans-y.

So does anybody have a really really good jambalaya/dirty rice/gumbo recipe up their sleeve?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/25623752/#Comment_25623752

Holy shit!

Yeah, um, that might be a bit ambitious for what we want to do tonight. Imma keep it bookmarked, though, sounds like a blast to try to make.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    apropos nothing:

when I walked back from the store a woman and her son were also on their way back to my street¨

she called him "Little Man" whenever she talked to him

also when I passed them he started racing me, sideways, which was a bit taxing for him since my strides were about twice as long as his normal ones. Also because I sped up a bit to keep it challenging.

Kids are awesome.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Making the argument that authorial intent is not sovereign is a lot weaker when you're talking about literal narrative events rather than thematic implications

Perhaps, but some narratives are garbled, ambiguous, or deceptive.

In the specific jokey post that lead to this conversation (Ned Stark and Syrio Forel), the narrative could not have been more clear and to interpret those events differently is to stop reading the book as written. Think of it like... uh, people still being on team Jacob after Edward and Bella's wedding or deciding that Bruce Willis was really alive the whole time in the sixth sense and the movie's events were actually an illuminati plot to drive him insane.

Oh wow.

No no, the indoctrination interpretation of the ME3 ending is nothing that ridiculous. It is certainly supported by numerous observations, and actually fits better with the rest of the story leading up to it than canon interpretations.

As I said, it is a player interpretation. No one is claiming it was the writers intent. BW made it clear that it wasn't. But that in and of itself does not render the interpretation "wrong" merely non-canonical.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    babby has ear infection
    D :

It probably is, from a babby perspective.

I can't think of anything more unpleasant he is likely to have suffered in his life and times so far.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    @Thanatos

I'm not sure the slow cooker idea will work, since neither of us will be at the house until like 5-ish and the game is at 7.

It does remind me that I need to be using my crock pot more, though.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I love it whenever someone asks "I suppose you don't have X up your sleeve?"

and someone answers (assume x is, say, a spare tire for a fiat punto) "yes, yes I do" and pulls a spare tire for a fiat punto out of their sleeve.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Ear infections are seriously the worst thing as a kid. I had at least one every winter.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I'm going to over to my parents' house to watch the basketball game with my dad, and since it's Mardi Gras we figured we'd try making something appropriately New Orleans-y.

So does anybody have a really really good jambalaya/dirty rice/gumbo recipe up their sleeve?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/25623752/#Comment_25623752

Holy shit!

Yeah, um, that might be a bit ambitious for what we want to do tonight. Imma keep it bookmarked, though, sounds like a blast to try to make.

:) Proper gumbo takes a bit of effort!

I made the recipe again last night, for consumption this evening. :)

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Aaron and Cass just filled out the paperwork for an apartment. We'll find out in the next coupla days!

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I live again.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    The way to teach a child is to have a couple of test children you can murder, and then make certain your real child knows the consequences of disappointing you.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Appreciating the fact that Henroid's rallying appeal to end bigotry in gaming is "hit more children." 8->

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

My parents made us write essays, among other things. Quelle surprise, it worked.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    The way to teach a child is to have a couple of test children you can murder, and then make certain your real child knows the consequences of disappointing you.

As long as you wait until after the children are born to murder them, I anticipate robust GOP support of this plan.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Aaron and Cass just filled out the paperwork for an apartment. We'll find out in the next coupla days!

I thought they already had a place and were set to move?

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

shame on you, trying to steal awesomes from them

• Options
    Yeah, as a child, ear infections are completely fucking awful. I used to get them so bad I had to get tubes in my ears.

There's nothing to do about it either. Just sit there and be in intense pain all day.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    japan wrote: »
    babby has ear infection
    D :

I can't think of anything more unpleasant he is likely to have suffered in his life and times so far.

I am still not sure if I've suffered anything more unpleasant than ear infections, which I got a lot as a kid.

WAIT NO I did have a couple of migraines that were worse. But I wanted to die for both of those experiences.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Pancakes cooked and eaten, and dishes washed! :)

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    babby has ear infection
    D :

I tend to philosophize about how much your first breath actually must hurt. Like someone stabs your lungs I imagine it like.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

it's why i have a LAN group of people I know to play multiplayer games with and avoid pub servers like the fucking plague

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »

This is sort of what my parents did.

My brother and I had an older sibling named "Billy", who suffered all sorts of various fates by defying the rules mom and dad put in place.

He was never introduced with any seriousness, but was always useful to provide context for any lesson they were teaching us! :)

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    babby has ear infection

8467865287_e924be939a.jpg

D :

As a thricetime veteran of mastoidectomies, ear infections are butts.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Hitting a child doesn't make them learn the lesson you are trying to teach them. It just teaches them to fear and resent you. among other things.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Generally kids and young adults are a bit easier to inflict brain damage on if you strike them in the head. So yes, you solve his n-word dropping but as an adult he becomes a dog whistling Republican.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    When I write a recipe, I try to do it in a much more conversational tone than the ones I read. I try to include tips throughout, hints and suggestions of how things should look and taste that I feel are lacking in the standard recipe construction.

• Options

I thought they already had a place and were set to move?

Nah they've been close, but now it's just down to the credit check, I think.
    Tamin wrote: »

shame on you, trying to steal awesomes from them

You god damn right I am. :P

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    babby has ear infection
    D :

I am still not sure if I've suffered anything more unpleasant than ear infections, which I got a lot as a kid.

WAIT NO I did have a couple of migraines that were worse. But I wanted to die for both of those experiences.

hmmmmm

most unpleasant experience I've had?

when i was 2 i sat down in a nest of fire ants in California

This discussion has been closed.