Options

Math [chat]

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    The way to teach a child is to have a couple of test children you can murder, and then make certain your real child knows the consequences of disappointing you.

This is sort of what my parents did.

My brother and I had an older sibling named "Billy", who suffered all sorts of various fates by defying the rules mom and dad put in place.

He was never introduced with any seriousness, but was always useful to provide context for any lesson they were teaching us! :)

We 'used to have an oldest brother'!

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    how to abuse child

eat their foodz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZHnWvMaoKM

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I think I played Starcraft with DK one time maybe

It was a gangbang, tho.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Apparantly Bioware has also come out and said the indoctrination theory is wrong, which is a real dick move IMO.

I haven't seen the post where they said it was wrong, so I don't know how dickish it actually was. But generally speaking, the best authors do not go back through their work and correct people's interpretations.

In fact, there are quite a few authors who are infamous for turning away any requests for demystification with blistering silence.

Do you think if T.S. Eliot had internets he would have hung around telling people how silly their take on Waste Land was?

If Bioware wants to be all "artistic freedom and integrity" about their game, they should realize that people are going to start treating it like art. Interpretation and criticism, get used to it, you entitled spoiled little devs.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    The way to teach a child is to have a couple of test children you can murder, and then make certain your real child knows the consequences of disappointing you.

This is sort of what my parents did.

My brother and I had an older sibling named "Billy", who suffered all sorts of various fates by defying the rules mom and dad put in place.

He was never introduced with any seriousness, but was always useful to provide context for any lesson they were teaching us! :)

We 'used to have an oldest brother'!

Poor Billy.

He drowned a lot and got hit by several cars in his time.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Giving control of a cloaked banshee harass to one of my friends so I can stir up trouble.

Donkey Kong [all]: Come on purple, you have detection, why aren't you helping out your friend?
    Donkey Kong [all]: Oh no his shit is all on fire
    Donkey Kong [all]: He's dying, squirtle
    Donkey Kong [all]: You know what, you're right. Letting him get knocked out is for the best.

Monobattles is the best for this

The rage when you're against a team that has a good banshee/reaper player who effectively delays all four of you until 40 collosus knock your face in, the exaltation when you successfully sneak 2 barracks into their naturals without them seeing and attack with a pile of marines from behind their wall in or cannon rush two of them at once

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    eddy

so what do I like in ramen

I bet you like all the old-timey things

some of dis
    220px-Korean.cuisine-Kongnamul-01.jpg

soma dis
    marinated_egg.jpg

whole lotta dis
    leekrisotto1_lg.jpg

maybe some corn...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    spool, have you looked at any of the Pioneer Woman recipes? She does like a whole thing with pictures and giving tricks on how to cut onions or whatever and you can see what things are supposed to look like at each step.

Also all of her recipes are delicious.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I think sawyer could rock a pompadour.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Hitting a child doesn't make them learn the lesson you are trying to teach them. It just teaches them to fear and resent you. among other things.

This is too simplistic a statement to be useful except to people who don't have any concept of the difference between a swat on the butt and a punch in the face.

Also it presupposes that children altering bad behavior because they fear punishment is always undesirable, and I don't believe that is the case.

If all they're avoiding is punishment then they're not internalizing WHY said behavior is bad. And once the threat of punishment is gone they no longer feel bound by the resteriction

there's a reason kids with ultra-strict parents go crazy in college.

Like when I was a teenager I got drunk and came home very ill one morning. You know what my parents did? they let me sleep then when I woke up they laughed at me because I was hungover as shit.. No punishment because it was obvious I had learned why doing that was a bad idea on my own.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    how to abuse child

eat their foodz

Would you believe we had to institute a rule "no touching food on anyone else's plate"?

They will steal from each other despite plenty of food available for everyone at the table!

edit: mostly dessert and / or drink because it's too much trouble to get up and get a refill.

spool32 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Also that great moment in starcraft 4v4: when your team makes the decision to cut one of your allies off because they aren't worth saving

And that feeling when that person is you.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I can't help but read Marceline as mescaline.

• Options
    gais we should play starcraft 2 gangbangs sometime I haven't played starcraft 2 in forever!

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    how to abuse child

eat their foodz

Would you believe we had to institute a rule "no touching food on anyone else's plate"?

They will steal from each other despite plenty of food available for everyone at the table!

edit: mostly dessert and / or drink because it's too much trouble to get up and get a refill.

just like dogs!

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Running is hard.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a random observation (im not really in the mood to try and type up some unifying theory of parentingm as if such a thing exists)

i was at a small gathering of my wife's mom friends. maybe 6-8 kids present mostly between 1.5 and 3 years. at one point a girl that looked maybe 3 years old got mad that another kid was doing something she didn't like, so she went up to him and swatted him on the butt.

now is that a problem? i don't know. but it was interesting.

i dont really intend to go the spanking route with my kids simply because i know how poorly things spiralled out of control with me and my parents. but again, everyone is different yadda yadda

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Indoctrination theory doesn't really work with the other endings.

Although it does pose the question, what if indoctrination theory is only correct if you
    choose red, and otherwise it isn't?

Are narratives of player choice retroactively flexible? My instinct is no, not without precedent in the game.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    how to abuse child

eat their foodz

is possible

twin bro always tried to steal my coca cola beverage when i was young and i would be like UR BAD @ THIS and he would look sheepish then try it again while not looking but id be like DETECTED SUCKAAAAAAAAAAAAA

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Appreciating the fact that Henroid's rallying appeal to end bigotry in gaming is "hit more children." 8->

I'm able to mentally distinguish the difference between a swat on the butt / smack in the mouth vs. full on punches and kicks. If people want to disagree with disciplinary actions, that's fine, but don't turn my take (which is very specific and narrow) into "you child abuser." That's a real low bar to set and a real extreme reaction, akin to idiots who say "marijuana is a gateway drug!" Or maybe things do stop right then and there and don't go further.

All I'm saying is you advocate hitting children as a means of teaching empathy and/or (at the very least) decent manners.

That is hilarious.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Giving control of a cloaked banshee harass to one of my friends so I can stir up trouble.

Donkey Kong [all]: Come on purple, you have detection, why aren't you helping out your friend?
    Donkey Kong [all]: Oh no his shit is all on fire
    Donkey Kong [all]: He's dying, squirtle
    Donkey Kong [all]: You know what, you're right. Letting him get knocked out is for the best.

i have mastered good natured shit talk in lol

i die and my team murders them all

OH HEY GUYS LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A FIVE FOR ONE DEAL AT WALMART TODAY

they try to take a buff and i stop them

ARE YOU MY OLD HOUSE KEEPER? CAUSE YOU TRY TO STOLE BUT YOU GOT CAUGHT

and so on

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    [Edit: Oh wait, no! I remember now, the worst is when I had impacted ear wax removed with a hook. Felt like my ear drum was being ripped out.

my ear drum burst on the day I did my driving test for my license

blood leaking out of ear

test proctor guy talking to me as I try to parallel park, couldn't hear out of half my head

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I dunno. I came up in an old-fashioned way. I wasn't physically damaged or abused. I resent my parents, but it has shit-all to do with being disciplined in that manner. My resentment toward my parents has to do with things like being told to do better in school, and when I bring home straight-A's my father tells me it wasn't good enough and asked why I didn't get extra credit to make them into A+'s. There was no "good job," there was no congratulations. When I wanted to learn how to drive? Ask a friend. When I needed direction on how to do taxes or who to go to for taxes? Ask a friend. When I needed to open a bank account? Ask a friend (and specific manipulation to prevent me from opening my own account, for that matter). My mother is no better. The privacy of my mail isn't respected, no discussions can be had without things becoming a mad rant about Obama (a discussion I tried to start about Star Wars quickly turned into "OBAMA"). When a friend's friend died and she was distraught, which made me distraught, I was told, "So what?! WHAT IF I DIE?!" Oh, and when I did live with my mother as a child, she would also smoke indoors constantly, sending us to school smelling heavily of cigarettes. She didn't give one damn about that right there, even when the schools pried.

Getting smacked on the ass as a kid, for me? Big deal, I did dumb shit sometimes and had it coming. But as far as abuse? No, it never went there. The abuses and wrongs my parents have done and do to me are beyond all that. It's not rooted in me having "violence" brought on by me. My position is, I took a swat on the ass. Others took it. And we all manage with it. We function. We are not damaged goods. Not everyone ends up okay from it. But the extreme opposite results in people not growing up with their complete faculties either, I observe. Any way imaginable to raise kids, any formula you come up with, will have applications where it fails the child (and the parent) and works. If you want to suggest I was physically abused, that's your prerogative.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    well i spent the whole weekend studying for stats, now it's time to get ready for my programming assignment due tomorrow

i have a good 8 hours until bedtime

*cracks fingers*
    *mountain dew enema*

• Options
    cause you try to stole

are you my old house keeper, because your english is bad
    :>

• Options

Although it does pose the question, what if indoctrination theory is only correct if you

Are narratives of player choice retroactively flexible? My instinct is no, not without precedent in the game.

I think it works with all endings, but retroactively changed endings would be cool as hell

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool, have you looked at any of the Pioneer Woman recipes? She does like a whole thing with pictures and giving tricks on how to cut onions or whatever and you can see what things are supposed to look like at each step.

Also all of her recipes are delicious.

I have not, but I'll check it out.

lso I feel that a "before & after" photo of the kitchen would help sometimes in deciding what to cook for dinner.

For example, my kitchen is a disaster after making that gumbo! I need a bigger pot.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

Yes indoctrination ending is that red is THE correct choice and blue and green are reaper wins ending

This is why at the end of red Shepard lies in the middle of London rubble and takes a breath - he or she never went up to talk to starkid

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Child Luke, who whined endlessly and just wanted to go to Toshi Station to pick up some power convertors, gaaaahd.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    cause you try to stole

are you my old house keeper, because your english is bad
    :>

bitch you aint paying me

• Options
    edited February 2013

Yes indoctrination ending is that red is THE correct choice and blue and green are reaper wins ending

This is why at the end of red Shepard lies in the middle of London rubble and takes a breath - he or she never went up to talk to starkid
    No, EM is saying that indoctrination theory is only valid at all as a concept if and only if the red ending is chosen.

Eddy on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    If I did have kids I would keep them in line with raw vegan gluten free sugar free mint macaroons.

"What did you just say to me, young man? I think you need to eat a cookie."

"Por favor, padre, no la galleta!"

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Starcraft 2 is still pretty great.

HotS is out next month

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    oh i guess (me3 end disucssion continued)
    i always pick blue, green is retarded and im not willing to kill the geth and edi

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Corporal punishment can be extremely useful. But not because it's painful; because it's an expression of disapproval turned up to eleven. When my twins were ~18 months the younger one wanted to put his mouth on outlets. Well, I've only successfully made them upset through scolding them about twice, so I swatted his noggin. Worked great; no more suicidal toddler.

P.S. As I started writing this, he climbed down off my lap, and then promptly smacked me in the balls. I think he might be psychic.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    how to abuse child

eat their foodz

They didn't put the whole song in the episode. In the original, it's all about how Marceline's dad was never there for her, always working, never took her out for fries and a shake, how she felt abandoned. Then when she was finally old enough to do it herself, he came home from work one night and and ate her food. It was probably a little too sad.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If I did have kids I would keep them in line with raw vegan gluten free sugar free mint macaroons.

"What did you just say to me, young man? I think you need to eat a cookie."

"Por favor, padre, no la galleta!"

This has me thinking of Hot Fuzz for some reason.

• Options
    So vanilla Starcraft 2 folks can play with HOT folk right, we just won't have access to the units?

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Starcraft 2 is still pretty great.

HotS is out this month

Damn, already. I was totally going to teach myself how to play again before it came out so I wouldn't be terribad. Not sure how many of my friends plan on gettting it though :/

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I dunno. I came up in an old-fashioned way. I wasn't physically damaged or abused. I resent my parents, but it has shit-all to do with being disciplined in that manner. My resentment toward my parents has to do with things like being told to do better in school, and when I bring home straight-A's my father tells me it wasn't good enough and asked why I didn't get extra credit to make them into A+'s. There was no "good job," there was no congratulations. When I wanted to learn how to drive? Ask a friend. When I needed direction on how to do taxes or who to go to for taxes? Ask a friend. When I needed to open a bank account? Ask a friend (and specific manipulation to prevent me from opening my own account, for that matter). My mother is no better. The privacy of my mail isn't respected, no discussions can be had without things becoming a mad rant about Obama (a discussion I tried to start about Star Wars quickly turned into "OBAMA"). When a friend's friend died and she was distraught, which made me distraught, I was told, "So what?! WHAT IF I DIE?!" Oh, and when I did live with my mother as a child, she would also smoke indoors constantly, sending us to school smelling heavily of cigarettes. She didn't give one damn about that right there, even when the schools pried.

Getting smacked on the ass as a kid, for me? Big deal, I did dumb shit sometimes and had it coming. But as far as abuse? No, it never went there. The abuses and wrongs my parents have done and do to me are beyond all that. It's not rooted in me having "violence" brought on by me. My position is, I took a swat on the ass. Others took it. And we all manage with it. We function. We are not damaged goods. Not everyone ends up okay from it. But the extreme opposite results in people not growing up with their complete faculties either, I observe. Any way imaginable to raise kids, any formula you come up with, will have applications where it fails the child (and the parent) and works. If you want to suggest I was physically abused, that's your prerogative.

ok here is how this goes

you turned out ok, and that tells us one thing. it tells us that physical chastisement of children does not necessarily fuck them up. but thats not actually what we care about

what we are interested in is if, on average, children who are physically disciplined turn out to have problems later on. and there has been more than a little study of this. almost without exception physical punishment, of any strength or severity, is found to be associated with problems (most commonly aggression, delinquency of various forms and depression). this type of punishment SIMPLY DOESNT WORK.

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.