As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Destiny - A MMOish non-MMO MMO

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Well if Sony is making a big push with Destiny, and the PS4 isn't like a failure trap, that's certainly going to push me to that platform for this. Bungie has enough of my loyalty for me to pick my next gen console based on which console I think they are going to lean their support towards (even if officially it's all the same, nudge wink).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Stolen from NeoGAF, ya I'm bad
    Ru52enx.jpg
    MKVcFVT.jpg
    vlBM2XH.png
    xPtV1AP.png
    igNmkuy.png
    m4nprsp.png
    atn2QjW.png
    AOgMsFO.png
    7QlaHJy.png
    tjK9BKu.png
    D8CdqVZ.png

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    "Assholes didn't show us the game" seems to be what people are most interested in saying now that the embargo is up.

• Options
    The planet hopping stuff sounds interesting. They keep mentioning Venus a lot, which sounds like an interestingly harsh place to adventure.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    If what people are saying is true about someone pulling the gameplay portion of the reveal at the last minute, Bungie must be kind of angry.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Yeah those gameplay shots are terrible. Will wait for next-gen

• Options
    Or Sony handed them a big check to keep it under wraps for three days until their PS4 reveal.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    If what people are saying is true about someone pulling the gameplay portion of the reveal at the last minute, Bungie must be kind of angry.

Why would Bungie be angry about something that they did?

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Lol

iW3Tc9DsdoM8b.png

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Allforce wrote: »

No way, some of those outdoor shots are not current gen console shots. Jeff Gerstman and Ryan McKenzie said the same thing. Some of the hub shots look current gen, but that shot with the trees, sixth from the top, is not current gen.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yeah, I love Jason Jones, but he's in the console bubble with that one or something. People certainly still want to use KBAM, as it's still the best way to control an FPS that we know of. That Halo/Bungie spent a ton of time perfecting console shooter controls to go from "total shit" to "passable" doesn't invalidate KBAM.

Eh, I don't really care which way I play it. For me it's more of a "I don't touch my consoles much at all anymore" issue, and I'd rather keep my games on PC than consoles. But that's ok... if it comes to PC, great, if not, one day I may dive in but there will be other games.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited February 2013

No way, some of those outdoor shots are not current gen console shots. Jeff Gerstman and Ryan McKenzie said the same thing. Some of the hub shots look current gen, but that shot with the tree, sixth from the top, is not current gen.

Neither is the 3rd from the bottom, in the ViDoc that was all real geomertry and fog in the background casting shadows.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Yeah, I love Jason Jones, but he's in the console bubble with that one or something. People certainly still want to use KBAM, as it's still the best way to control an FPS that we know of. That Halo/Bungie spent a ton of time perfecting console shooter controls to go from "total shit" to "passable" doesn't invalidate KBAM.

Eh, I don't really care which way I play it. For me it's more of a "I don't touch my consoles much at all anymore" issue, and I'd rather keep my games on PC than consoles. But that's ok... if it comes to PC, great, if not, one day I may dive in but there will be other games.

Pretty much. If it's console-only then I probably won't ever play it since I'm not going to buy any more 360 games, nor will I be buying another console of any sort.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Lol

iW3Tc9DsdoM8b.png

Especially with all the games coming out in the next 2 months I can imagine people would rather be getting real work done

• Options
    edited February 2013
    It really sounds to me like Bungie had a meatier press event planned, but someone swooped in very last minute to change their mind (Sony with a check). The way Jeff G talks about Bungie employees being surprised/dismayed they weren't seeing the game lends credence to this.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Certainly was one of the more anticlimactic press reveals I've followed.

Hopefully they will show off more during Sony's announcement and I will be very surprised if they don't.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    Well, its a bungie game alright. Bland and generic art direction combined with a fine refinement of well established game mechanics.
    Whats surprising is their PR misstep. If Bungie is good at one thing its drumming up hype to insane levels.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I'm bummed this is console only. While it will give me a reason to boot up my PS3 besides Ni No Kuni and Netflix/Hulu, I don't want to play a fuggin' FPS with thumbsticks man C'mon.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I really don't get why people are surprised this is console only...like it was said earlier, Bungie hasn't done anything for the PC in forever.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It really sounds to me like Bungie had a meatier press event planned, but someone swooped in very last minute to change their mind (Sony with a check). The way Jeff G talks about Bungie employees being surprised/dismayed they weren't seeing the game lends credence to this.

Activision is probably cashing the check while Bungie catches the flak.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I really don't get why people are surprised this is console only...like it was said earlier, Bungie hasn't done anything for the PC in forever.

That wasn't Bungie's decision though there were owned by Microsoft trying to get people on the Xbox platform. Activision is in the market to make money, having it on as many platforms as humanly possible especially when a 360 -> PC port is so easy would be expected.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I guess myself I'm not really surprised, just disappointed. It does look like a cool game, and it'd have to be to get me to reup XBL - but it's not going to get me to buy whatever in the next gen of consoles. So, yeah.

Ynuu on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Ooh, color filters.

• Options
    I find it interesting that its coming to Orbis, it wasn't mentioned in the original contract that came out at the time of the IW lawsuit. I assume when Activision/Bungie found out both consoles are so similar it got the go ahead.

I bet that kinda put MS ass on the burner, and even more so if we do see it on Wednesday. I expect this is the exactly reason Sony would write a big fat cheque just to launch the next gen console war with oh and we got Bungie too.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I don't get how folks are whining about playing a fps on a console in a reveal for a game made by the guys who made HALO

Plus kbam does not work with players who are using controllers. Can't have one player with that advantage

If your bungie who do you want to piss off? The 6 guys playing pc fps games or the millions playing cod and halo?

Hell didn't battlefield sell better on consoles than on pc?

Like it or not relatively speaking, pc fps had been marginalized if not outright murdered. Console fps is the main stream and that's where the money is

616610-1.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Actually. Battlefield 3 sold better on PC. I think it did like...really well on the PC.

And I doubt they would even have connectivity between PC and consoles anyway.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I don't get how folks are whining about playing a fps on a console in a reveal for a game made by the guys who made HALO

Myth, Marathon, and Oni would like a word. Edit: I forgot about Abuse.
    Plus kbam does not work with players who are using controllers. Can't have one player with that advantage

If your bungie who do you want to piss off? The 6 guys playing pc fps games or the millions playing cod and halo?

Hell didn't battlefield sell better on consoles than on pc?

Like it or not relatively speaking, pc fps had been marginalized if not outright murdered. Console fps is the main stream and that's where the money is

Players are already segregated by console online, or at least that's the word so far.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Maybe pc caught up but originally it was like

2.2 mil for Xbox
    1.5mil for ps3
    .5 mi for pc

And it's fine to be bummed about lack of PC. But the pretentious "ugh who wants to play a fps on a console!" Is silly. Especially in a thread for the makers of HALO. Cause the answer is " umm pretty much everyone."

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    sounds neat, but its hard to get too hyped up about big talk and no actual details. i hope its as awesome as they are trying to make it sound.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    “We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people,” Jones continued. “We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard, and now nobody plays [first-person shooters] the old way anymore because they don’t want to.

This is the dumbest thing I've read from a game developer in recent memory.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Except its pretty true, like it or not.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    So...how about that Destiny game?

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Two random thoughts:

Since Destiny is always online, it stands to reason that player info and save is server-side. I could see Destiny (base game) getting a re-release on next-gen, with better graphics plus additives. Hyphens.

Secondly, I'll eat the oppressive xbox live fee and advertising to not have to play a shooter with the PS3 controller.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Nah. I'd argue that there are lots of people who prefer Mouse and Keyboard to controllers.

I can't say whether or not I'm one of them, but pretending like you made everyone think controllers are the best way to play and no one uses mouse and keyboard anymore is awfully silly.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Except its pretty true, like it or not.

No, it really isn't.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    VGChartz puts BF3 PC at like 15% of total sales, globally. I dunno how reliable their data is, but yeah. It puts PC FPS at a minority, but I dunno that 15% is considered negligible.

In any case, I don't have any issue with console FPS's as such (I've got a 360 controller for my PC for the many situations in which it is better), I just have no desire to purchase another console, which seems almost certain to be a requirement for Destiny.

• Options
    VGChartz is a piece of crap as far as getting accurate information.

As for the whole PC/console crap. At the end of the day Bungie and Activision seem perfectly fine with it being a console only release. That's pretty much all there is to say about it.

• Options
    Saying nobody wants kbam is an overstatement but they absolutely changed the majority to wanting to play on their couch on a tv in comfort rather than at a desk somewhere

I hate playing on kbam and I hate that certain games are ruined by it on ps3(see Dust) so I am glad bungie views it as a thing if the past. I don't have to worry that it will ever potentially ruin one of their games

616610-1.png
  • Options
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Two random thoughts:

Since Destiny is always online, it stands to reason that player info and save is server-side. I could see Destiny (base game) getting a re-release on next-gen, with better graphics plus additives. Hyphens.

Secondly, I'll eat the oppressive xbox live fee and advertising to not have to play a shooter with the PS3 controller.

Why would it re-release on next gen when it's going to release release on next gen? It's coming to next gen. that's the entire funny wink wink ha ha undertone of the tech conversation. Here's the "announced platform list", and some screen shots from current gen tech, oh yeah and a couple of interspersed shots from tech that can't be this gen, but noooo we have no clue about those 'next gen consoles' *wink*

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    never use VGchartz for any sort of data ever aside from like...jokingly.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
This discussion has been closed.