Options

[Mass Effect 3] Operation HEARTBREAKER. Feb 15th-17th. Ban(she)e's a maneater.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Have been using the Krogan Adept a lot lately and I'm really starting to like him. Lacks charge, but Warp is a nice spammable power. Warp>Shotgun > Heavy Melee > Shotgun takes care of most things. Collectors do seem to be getting easier, did they get weaker or are we getting used to them?

For some reason though I've been doing random/random/Gold and am at like 50% for most maps challenges except for London. Think I've had 1 Gold game on London so far. Do people always set a map when they host gold and hate London (understandable, though I hate Hazard Glacier far more these days) or just coincidence?

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Possible coincidence, possible hatred of London. I could see it on Gold, lot of open sight lines and some absolutely brutal hack points. Same reason I'd avoid hydra like the plague.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    a lot of people run random map, so that's just luck

that said, when people do pick a map, it's never london

i couldn't even find silver games when trying to knock out the last few waves of silver/london and silver/condor

• Options
    Condor is a weird map, I mean its not a pleasant map for the same reason that london isn't. On top of that it has some weird technical issues, like the worst lag, and at times invisible enemies always seem to be a condor issue.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Anyone else go out of their way to save a volus PC in multi? Something about those little tubby bastards makes me rush headlong into danger to save them.

The little beachballs of shield restoration must be preserved!

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Paladin, Vorcha soldier, and anyone with overload: perfect explosion team. Go around the map with a volus, and just annihilate everything.

• Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I always have the overwhelming urge to babble thanks every time I get some shields from a Volus. I wish every party had a Volus. <3<3

Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Have been using the Krogan Adept a lot lately and I'm really starting to like him. Lacks charge, but Warp is a nice spammable power. Warp>Shotgun > Heavy Melee > Shotgun takes care of most things. Collectors do seem to be getting easier, did they get weaker or are we getting used to them?

For some reason though I've been doing random/random/Gold and am at like 50% for most maps challenges except for London. Think I've had 1 Gold game on London so far. Do people always set a map when they host gold and hate London (understandable, though I hate Hazard Glacier far more these days) or just coincidence?

There aren't any notes about balance changes with Collector on Bioware official forum for that. I'd guess you're just getting used to them. I wish I could say the same ...

Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Do you guys do public matches or typically private ones with people you know? I find the level of .. ability/knowledge varies quite a bit in silver games. Maybe if I jump up into gold it will trend towards better groups. Not that I am a wizard at this yet.

I spend most of my time in pub gold. All of my time, really. It's the most fun because you never know what you're going to end up with!

hmm...

Condor makes for some tense games. A fun map... if it doesn't bug out and get stuck at "Waiting for players"... :|
    London makes for some exciting times too... along with Goddess.

I need to do more Hydra to get nomad, but I've run into too many games there where people exploit the terrain to even bother queueing with the intent to play there. So.. it'll happen when it happens.

edit: the other thing with london is that if it's collector london gold people will flat out quit.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    I do like possessed abominations on my fury, they are basically fun little mob grenades.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    The Arc Pistol is apparently pretty great now

charged shots do way more damage than even the paladin and it might even ignore shield gate

geth smg is crap though

Man I was telling you guys Arc Pistol was great weeks and weeks ago and no one believed me! It's my favorite gun to take on my Shaman. Slap some Warp Ammo on that shit, Warp your target, and rip through them like tissue paper.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    @Elendil wrote: »
    The Arc Pistol is apparently pretty great now

charged shots do way more damage than even the paladin and it might even ignore shield gate

geth smg is crap though
    @Dac & @BlazeFire - I ran the numbers on the arc pistol way back when I first got it and the highest DPS method I'm capable of is to shoot partially charged shots as quickly as possible. Unless you are one of the few capable of 9 clicks per second (I'm not capable of doing that one-handed). I'm not sure if this is still the case but initially a charge of any duration gave 2X damage to the damage caused by the number of rounds fired in a charged shot, which increases to a max of 3 shots at full charge (charge for 0-.33 seconds uses 1 projectile, .34-.66 secs uses 2 projectiles, .66 secs + uses 3 projectiles). At the minimum charge, you are doing double damage but using 1 ammo and doing this at 4 shots per second is the equivalent of shooting 8 rounds per second, nearly the DPS of the amazing-fingered, but using half of the ammo. However, fully charged is the equivalent of 6 shots/second while only using 3 ammo and so the best that fully charged can do is 2/3 the DPS of no charge at all at 550 RPM. If you can do 5 partially charged shots in a second that's the equivalent of 10 rounds per second, beating even the motorized finger-folks DPS. Basically if you're not a robot you should always charge every shot with the Arc Pistol if only to preserve ammo, but also to get the best DPS you can.

That said the one weapon I consider indispensable for EVERYONE NOT CARRYING A REEGAR CARBINE is the Acolyte. It's the insane Barrier/Shield damage (5x base damage) and better than most-pistols health and armor damage that does it for me. It's VERY light, does at least 2450 dmg/shot against barrier and shields and above 6000 dmg/shot depending on your loadout (ie.: GI with all damage evolutions, High Caliber Barrel V & Hunter Mode). Plus, when you shoot at mooks' feet you can knock bitches off the map for insta-kills.

2-3 Acolyte shots and Gold Phantoms are dead-as-fuck-toast with a nice stagger to prevent return fire while you charge the second shot. 2-4 shots will strip Gold Atlases', Gold Primes', Gold Praetorians' and Gold Banshees' Barriers/Shields completely. 1 shot will strip all other shields and barriers on all other enemy classes including Possessed Scions, Hunters and Phantoms. This is particularly useful when Praetorians decide they don't want biotics or tech spells to work.

Also, when stripping shields and barriers with the Acolyte you are pretty much guaranteed to stagger every enemy, even Praetorians, and it ignores armor damage reduction and the shield-gate. Plus, against Shields/Barriers there are almost no weapons that have higher DPS (it beats headshot DPS from Crusader, Valiant, Hurricane, Particle Rifle, Black Widow, and basically everything else). The only weapon I know for sure does more DPS to shield/barriers is the Reegar Carbine. For light characters, pair with a SMG + Ultralight mod + Pierce mod for CQC (preferrably the Hurricane), for heavy characters it is the ultimate Phantom/Hunter/Pyro/Praetorian/Banshee/Prime slaughtering back-up and really doesn't suffer from using Ultralight Pistol mod since it ignores armor damage reduction entirely.

I decided to run the numbers on it when I was in a Gold/Cerberus match and I was being repeatedly slaughtered by Phantoms, but observed another player completely mop those Gold Phantoms with no effort whatsoever (2-3 shots per kill & even quicker thanks to AOE in tight spaces). Now I equip it whenever I'm not equipping a Reegar and not going for another pistol's challenge points.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    DreadBert wrote: »
    Volus Adept really makes the entirety of Cerberus his bitch.

How do you deal with dragoons? They beat me like a drum when I do non-vanguard volus.

At range? Cry.

In CQC? Roll into them, pop heavy melee to stagger them, aim up, cap their head, rinse, repeat.

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Do you guys do public matches or typically private ones with people you know? I find the level of .. ability/knowledge varies quite a bit in silver games. Maybe if I jump up into gold it will trend towards better groups. Not that I am a wizard at this yet.

I tend to pug it silver, at most I play with my wife from time to time, though I recently started back up and was quite surprsied about certain changes. Like rain being damn near fatal on ghost, apparently in the ME world the deadliest place in the world would be Seattle.

As someone that recently moved from Southern California to Seattle it is.

• Options
    Damn it another transplant from california. STOP SCREWING UP MY ROADS!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, I just took the Arc Pistol out for a spin for the first time since the last buff. It's great now. It even seems to stagger fairly well, and almost feels like a pistol version of the GPS. Love it.

• Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Condor is a weird map, I mean its not a pleasant map for the same reason that london isn't. On top of that it has some weird technical issues, like the worst lag, and at times invisible enemies always seem to be a condor issue.

With a good team Condor is an extremely satisfying map (so long as you don't run into any of the aforementioned bugs). The extremely long sightlines make it easy to burn down enemies at range. You can have a team of two at the nest at the top of the hill and another team down in the corner bunker and be able to hit most of the map.

With a bad team or when doing a solo it can be an exercise in frustration. The extremely long sightlines make it easy for enemies to burn you down at range. In later waves it can feel like there's no good place to catch your breath.

• Options
    Damn it another transplant from california. STOP SCREWING UP MY ROADS!

Brother, Seattle's roads were terrible before I got here!

• Options
    Bullshit, everyone in washington is a perfect driver, until a californian comes along. Just like in ME3 multi is great until curly signs in.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Arc pistol is pretty baller.

I've been slowly working at the Machinist Challenge which required me to get 200k points with the Arc Pistol. It is good and ignores shield gating (now that I know what that is). I'm pretty sure a fully charged shot is actually 3-5 shots in a very tight area.

You can one-shot quite a few mooks in Gold with the Arc Pistol with a good headshot. It is not a bad weapon at all! Granted, I did have an Arc Pistol X.

I did ditch it after my 200k points though. I just don't enjoy charge up weapons.

• Options
    Yeah for me thats where guns like the paladin shine, you can just pop up and get a headshot. Like with a paladin and a salfiltrator I go Corbin Dallas on all the time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    If memory serves arc pistol is 3x damage now on charged shot. With heavy barrel It could one shot base enemies hitting center of mass on silver, which my black widow with heavy barrel can not. Made a darn good volus gun for me.

DreadBert on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I do like possessed abominations on my fury, they are basically fun little mob grenades.

I actually really love possessed abominations, or heck, even just the regular type when running a Cerberus adept. Killing them through a wall is one thing, but even if they're running straight at me, one smash later and, 'Aho, nice kaboom you head, way over there!'

• Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Collectors would be a lot more fun if possessed abominations did similar damage to them as they do to us.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    @DreadBert wrote: »
    If memory serves arc pistol is 3x damage now on charged shot. With heavy barrel It could one shot base enemies hitting center of mass on silver, which my black widow with heavy barrel can not. Made a darn good volus gun for me.

3x on charge? Wow it really has been a long time since I used that thing! I liked it even before they finally balanced it, but now you finally do equal damage on full charge to the button jammers, and this means partial charge shots give even more sick DPS! 4 partial charged shots/second with an Arc Pistol X is 12 regular shots for a base DPS of 1152 in body shots, or 2880 DPS in head shots!

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I actually really love possessed abominations, or heck, even just the regular type when running a Cerberus adept. Killing them through a wall is one thing, but even if they're running straight at me, one smash later and, 'Aho, nice kaboom you head, way over there!'

Man, the other day on London Silver against Collectors while on my Krogan Sentinel there was one dude that just kept dying. Like, three or four times a wave. I asked out loud, just talking to myself, how he was dying so often. As I said this, I hit a possessed abomination with a heavy melee, sending it flying. As that happened, the guy rolled around the corner, and the abomination hit him square in the face as it exploded.

That time, I was able to res him.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    You guys have inspired me to try out the arc pistol tonight. Maybe I'll even try a new character.

• Options
    Yeah for me thats where guns like the paladin shine, you can just pop up and get a headshot. Like with a paladin and a salfiltrator I go Corbin Dallas on all the time.
    tbh the paladin is my least favorite rare-and-up pistol now

it'd be more competitive if it was at X rather than II, but as is I may well use my carnifex X

now i've found that the arc pistol is also fantastic, and the scorpion is great, and the talon's been ridiculous for quite a while

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Man, the other day on London Silver against Collectors while on my Krogan Sentinel there was one dude that just kept dying. Like, three or four times a wave. I asked out loud, just talking to myself, how he was dying so often. As I said this, I hit a possessed abomination with a heavy melee, sending it flying. As that happened, the guy rolled around the corner, and the abomination hit him square in the face as it exploded.

That time, I was able to res him.
    I have matches like that sometimes, going down multiple times per wave. It tends to be a combination of bad luck and not being in the groove, I think.

• Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    guess who just got a melee kill on a banshee as a volus?

this guy

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    DreadBert wrote: »
    Volus Adept really makes the entirety of Cerberus his bitch.

How do you deal with dragoons? They beat me like a drum when I do non-vanguard volus.

At range? Cry.

In CQC? Roll into them, pop heavy melee to stagger them, aim up, cap their head, rinse, repeat.

Never realised volus heavy melee was useful for cqc. Range isnt a problem for me due to shield boost. Between gpr/acolite/arc I can generally burn down non-bosses.

In ~700 rounds only killed a couple husks with HM. That and for the amusement of having phantoms/banshes queue up to sync kill me when it wears off. Have seen it used to cover someone capping as well, but not sure how effective it was.

• Options
    Actually ran into a handful of Arc Pistol users as I was playing. I wonder if it's starting to catch on.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    Actually ran into a handful of Arc Pistol users as I was playing. I wonder if it's starting to catch on.

It's kind of like when you buy a new car and all of a sudden you notice how many people are driving your car. :P

• Options
    I've only tried using it on and off to work on that damn challenge.

And it has reiterated my hatred of both charge-required weapons and click-spam weapons.

I am not looking forward to completing the Hornet challenge either...

• Options
    This is a minor point, but I am having trouble with the Googles due to similar wordings. When a challenge says "Score 200 000 points against Banshees", what is a point in that regard? I assume it is damage?

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    This is a minor point, but I am having trouble with the Googles due to similar wordings. When a challenge says "Score 200 000 points against Banshees", what is a point in that regard? I assume it is damage?

No, it's the literal points you get for killing or assisting in the killing of one.

• Options

No, it's the literal points you get for killing or assisting in the killing of one.

Oh. Drr. That makes more sense. Thanks.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    I've only tried using it on and off to work on that damn challenge.

And it has reiterated my hatred of both charge-required weapons and click-spam weapons.

I am not looking forward to completing the Hornet challenge either...

yea, the Machinist and Pistol challenges were what made me use it again.

The hornet was pretty neat. gotta start using that more to mix things up when I play this... hmm.

• Options
    The hornet was pretty neat. gotta start using that more to mix things up when I play this... hmm.

How is it neat? There are better weapons that do better damage and are lighter and easier to control and use at the same rarity.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

How is it neat? There are better weapons that do better damage and are lighter and easier to control and use at the same rarity.

If you don't have a Hurricane, it's the best damage available from an SMG. At 746 DPS on the Level X Hornet (596 for the Level I), the only pistols or SMGs able to put out better damage across all enemy bar types are the Hurricane, Arc Pistol, Talon and Paladin. The damage it can put out in a second is also comparable to a good assault rifle or shot gun. With a relatively deep clip, reloading isn't too much of a pain, and while it's terrible at long ranges it's fine at short range and OK at mid ranges. As with all SMGs, it's light and virtually free to carry if you mod for ultralight materials.

It's just a good, solid, non-gimicky weapon that'll serve you well while waiting for a Hurricane.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.