Options

Unusual death [chat]

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Spool I'm certain that you are the only person in chat who doesn't know that "right to work state" is a political sleaze euphemism for "no employee rights, you can be fired at will."

Funny how all the southern states are fire at will.

You still get unemployment benefits if you're fired without cause.
    I don't have a lot of problem with the idea that an employer can tell people he doesn't want them working in his business anymore. It's his business!

Moreover, I don't have a problem with laws that prevent a union from locking out workers who don't pay dues.

So if your employer fired you for voting Republican that would be fine by you and your family?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Needless to say, private sector unions that pool worker bargaining power are anathema to today’s suave metropolitan successors to the slave-owning plantocracy. The whole point of the Southern model of economic development is to create a non-union region from Virginia to Texas, to which companies can be induced to move from states with unionized workforces. Besides, unions engage in collective bargaining, in violation of the Southern ideal of employer-worker relations, in which the master gives orders and the fearful worker obeys without question.

This is accurate.

Hostility to unionism post 1970 is universal in America (thanks, neolibz), not just in the South. The culture change in workspaces from happiness to fear is also, coincidentally, universal

A relentless march towards deregulation that has been integral to the formation and nature of the American state, casualization of work, and the advent of human resources management as a temporary alternative worker's rights structure all contributed far more to anti-unionism and the philosophy of governing/employing through fear much more than some uniquely Southern culture.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    oh my goddddd this paper i'm supposed to summarize is so bad

gels with bands that are still faintly visible where there shouldn't be bands, one sentence descriptions of figures, claims about figures that I can't puzzle out how their figures say what they claim they say

im torn between trying to actually understand everything they did, and just putting the images in my presentation and describing what they claim to have gotten

Do a metasummary of terrible papers.

Also the guy I spoke to is interviewing another person and I'll know a bit after next week and I am almost having a heart attack from anxiety.

Hey so are you still on for coming over to my neck of the woods in a few weeks?

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I have a lot of points for someone who only posts in here.

Yeah.

I see you've changed your beak to something more aesthetically pleasing for the mortals, S'karsus. Good, good....

I've taken the liberty of saving a picture of your previous form for the Labyrinth of Souls Christmas party.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    oh yeah @ronya or anyone else

can you briefly explain why exports are a thing that people focus on

like, we need to increase our exports! growing trade imbalance! yadda yadda

it seems like exports would be a symptom of a healthy and productive economy not necessarily a driver. ie. everyone is producing enough for everyone so more and more of the excess starts getting sent abroad for currency.

but i dont really know shit about this stuff so please enlighten or link articles if you have any

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Spool I'm certain that you are the only person in chat who doesn't know that "right to work state" is a political sleaze euphemism for "no employee rights, you can be fired at will."

I don't have a lot of problem with the idea that an employer can tell people he doesn't want them working in his business anymore. It's his business!

Moreover, I don't have a problem with laws that prevent a union from locking out workers who don't pay dues.

You don't have to reassure me that you're fine with this.

I know you are.

But you said flat out that the goal of this being to create a fearful environment for employees in which they cannot complain and hold no cards is, and I quote: "Dumb"

I was merely pointing out how wrong you are.

Because, you are!

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »

So if your employer fired you for voting Republican that would be fine by you and your family?

I would obviously be upset!
    I don't know if that's legal, but I suspect it's not the same as being fired for being black.
    So, while I would be very upset I would not feel it was a travesty that needed a government solution.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Jakobagger you are changing your avatar with sufficient frequency that you are endangering your status as "real person" and drifting towards "background" status.

Choosing is hard!
    okay, folks, I need a good domain name for my election data site

obviously it can't be in use already

electiondataminer.com is free

Ah, I completely understand why you think this would work, but the goal here, at least initially, is not to do any heavy-duty statistical work with the electoral data, but simply have it all together in one place for ease of accessibility. There really isn't any place where you can find historical election information except Wikipedia to some extent, and even then it's usually qualitative analysis of the results rather than the actual outcome in each state/district.

ahhhh!

electionhistorydata.com is free
    so is historicelectiondata.com
    and electoralhistory.com

Hmm. I'm liking the first one the most. I still have a soft spot for calling the site the Election Compendium, but I realize that's not going to work.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

While an employer should certainly have the right to end a term of employment, it shouldn't be over ANYTHING.

Right to work is bullshit and helps workers not at all.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The NLRB and labor laws that coopt the language of worker's rights are unimaginably ineffective at remedying legitimate grievances. The idea that laws on the books are actually being regulated or enforced in any spirit is demonstrably empirically false

There is literally no recourse for the American worker anymore. Thinking there's any sort of power symmetry between the worker and management is ... unbelievably naive

• Options

i don't have a problem with people being fired at will

what i have a problem with is that people can be fired at will without sufficient income/food/health support to hold them up while they look for a new job. but once we get a good social safety net going in the usa i would be perfectly fine with axing all unions and the minimum wage.

"I'm fine with this situation that we already have, provided there is this other situation that will never happen in place to mitigate it."

Is not a really useful sentiment.

i wasn't aware that sentiments were ever useful

and if you think unionizing the south is more likely than a federally mandated social safety net, well

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

what i have a problem with is that people can be fired at will without sufficient income/food/health support to hold them up while they look for a new job. but once we get a good social safety net going in the usa i would be perfectly fine with axing all unions and the minimum wage.

If I could secure the American worker by purging all unions I would do so.

But that's not really realistic.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

"I'm fine with this situation that we already have, provided there is this other situation that will never happen in place to mitigate it."

Is not a really useful sentiment.

Well guess what? You're fired

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    hahaha diablo 3 on ps4

NEXT GEN AAA TITLE

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    electionperfection.com, PERFECT ELECTION DATA THAT IS GREAT

• Options
    electionreflection, THINKING ABOUT ELECTION DATA IN A MEANINGFUL WAY

• Options
    Again, the entire point is to create a culture of fear so that workers feel lucky that they have a job at all. This makes notions such as fringe benefits or overtime pay laugh-worthy as parameters of discourse

Eliminating deadweight loss with no regard for the human element is the natural goal of late capitalism, etc etc

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Needless to say, private sector unions that pool worker bargaining power are anathema to today’s suave metropolitan successors to the slave-owning plantocracy. The whole point of the Southern model of economic development is to create a non-union region from Virginia to Texas, to which companies can be induced to move from states with unionized workforces. Besides, unions engage in collective bargaining, in violation of the Southern ideal of employer-worker relations, in which the master gives orders and the fearful worker obeys without question.

This is accurate.

Hostility to unionism post 1970 is universal in America (thanks, neolibz), not just in the South. The culture change in workspaces from happiness to fear is also, coincidentally, universal

A relentless march towards deregulation that has been integral to the formation and nature of the American state, casualization of work, and the advent of human resources management as a temporary alternative worker's rights structure all contributed far more to anti-unionism and the philosophy of governing/employing through fear much more than some uniquely Southern culture.

Hostility to unionism and the prevalence of 'right to fire at will' is much greater in the south.

Our politicians constantly court low-paying shit job companies to set up shop here and then spin it back to the public as job creation.

It was not like this on the west coast at all, at any point when I lived in NorCal, SoCal, or Washington.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

While an employer should certainly have the right to end a term of employment, it shouldn't be over ANYTHING.

But why not? I don't understand the logic here. It's my business. I don't like you anymore. So I don't want to pay you. Get out of my store!

Why should the government be able to stop me from doing that?

• Options
    electionretention, NO DATA GOES UNNOTICED

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man, no time to talk

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I don't get many agrees or awesomes but my posts aren't that good so whatever.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    eddy you adorable gengar

• Options
    electionerection.com THINKING ABOUT ELECTION DATA IN A MEANINGFUL WAY

• Options
    electiontexan, LOOKIE HERE AT ALL THIS DATA, Y'ALL

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    My kyudo sensei sent me some photos of me in "action" poses - drawing the bow, etc

It would be nicer if my skin hasn't been absolutely garbage that day

Maybe I need to get DK to liquefy tool my skin some

marketing a new line of foundation and concealer for archers

going to be rich

• Options
    edited February 2013
    poshniallo wrote: »

I would obviously be upset!
    I don't know if that's legal, but I suspect it's not the same as being fired for being black.
    So, while I would be very upset I would not feel it was a travesty that needed a government solution.

Well you should.

It is an example of an unbalanced power dynamic allowing someone to take advantage of people with few options.

It is basically a case study in why we need government.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    eddy you adorable gengar

i mad

• Options

But why not? I don't understand the logic here. It's my business. I don't like you anymore. So I don't want to pay you. Get out of my store!

That isn't the problem

The problem is that it's a huge giant gaping loophole for firing minorities, pregnant women and people of a religion you don't like.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    oh my goddddd this paper i'm supposed to summarize is so bad

gels with bands that are still faintly visible where there shouldn't be bands, one sentence descriptions of figures, claims about figures that I can't puzzle out how their figures say what they claim they say

im torn between trying to actually understand everything they did, and just putting the images in my presentation and describing what they claim to have gotten

Do a metasummary of terrible papers.

Also the guy I spoke to is interviewing another person and I'll know a bit after next week and I am almost having a heart attack from anxiety.

Hey so are you still on for coming over to my neck of the woods in a few weeks?

Yep! I mean I can't really back out after they paid for everything anyway :P

But also backup plans are necessary because neither is a sure thing.

• Options
    leaving work. if anyone wants to answer my question please @ me so i dont miss it!

• Options
    edited February 2013
    No, I didn't fire you because you got sick and couldn't work this week, I fired you because I'm sick too... sick of your face

wazilla on
  • Options
    eddy you adorable gengar

i mad

wat

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    electionerection.com THINKING ABOUT ELECTION DATA IN A MEANINGFUL WAY

and when you make a mistake, you issue an Election Erection Correction

• Options

Because that's a retarded way to run an economy.

Employers aren't kings.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

I think spool has it right. I mean, the last time we saw a huge decline in organized labor and massive deregulation of the workplace was 1920-1929, and remember how awesome that worked out?

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    hello spool thirty two

poo
  • Options
    eddy you adorable gengar

i mad

wat

i have to write a paper about labor law and instead i'm talking about it on these damned forums

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    xbox wins goodbye ps4 have fun with dumb final fantasy games and animu

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    wazilla wrote: »

That isn't the problem

The problem is that it's a huge giant gaping loophole for firing minorities, pregnant women and people of a religion you don't like.

Plus, maybe I am naive, but "I don't like this employee" is a really bad reason to fire someone. "This employee doesn't do their job well" is an entirely different matter

Being forced to cowtow to the (non work) opinions of your superiors in spite of doing an otherwise good job is an unfortunate symptom of the current at-will employment state

This discussion has been closed.