As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony Conference Thread: It's over! PS4 confirmed, price/console design unknown.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I've never had the money to jump in on a new console on release day before.

Now that my financial situation is better than it's ever been I'll be happy get a PS4 at launch and bitch about having no games to play and features that don't work correctly for months.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I...

I may be halfway through disassembling my PS3.

Girl's 5 years old (nearly 6!), she needs a dust out and a re-paste. Also, I went in intending to find out exactly which model wifi/blootoot daughterboard I needed to replace mine because my controllers don't like registering/drop out fairly often/my BluRay remote has never worked right. Turns out the big ribbon cable that goes to the daughterboard was inserted but did not have the keeper clip snapped down. The cable has just been loosely sitting in there for 5 fucking years.

Surprisingly little dust in there, actually. Still, brushed everything out and gave it a wipe out with cotton balls and q-tips. Cleaned off the old thermal paste and smeared some AS5 around, and was extra careful making sure all the plugs, ribbons and aerials were perfectly connected and secure.

Started up perfectly with the controller (hasn't done that in years, I have to get off my lazy arse and press the button on the console), so I threw some new batteries in the BluRay remote, re-registered it, and it works perfectly.

I'm so happy! It's like having a brand new console! It's so quiet!

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    I wonder if we're going to see anything like the hardware shortages we had for the other two console refreshes?

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I dunno, AMD aren't selling all that well at the moment, their die foundries probably have a bit of headroom.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Squall wrote: »
    liking those depressed analog sticks, but i cannot believe they're still using the same shitty d-pad

Fuckin what?. The dual shock has had the best d-pad of all the consoles since like... always.

Is "always" the day that Sega stopped making consoles?

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Was this posted already? Because I had legit tears of laughter at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0rJDn0jRnUQ#!

• Options
    chidonachidona Registered User regular
    I think the biggest surprise for me was the fact that, if all the games shown are launch titles, then the PS4 is probably going to have the same, or greater, number of games that I'd be interested in playing around launch than the PS3 has in total.

I've largely detached myself from consoles and all the console war bullshit, but that conference really did pique my interest. Will be very interested in seeing what E3 throws up.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I think Watch Dogs could be the next Assassins Creed game. It hits a lot of the same notes-- conspiracies, gadgets, parkour, cloth physics, stealth, neat melee movies... just without the historical adventure part that drew me to the series. I browsed? surfed? around and I am not alone in thinking that. I hope that is wrong, because I do not want a modern AC game at all.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Modern AC games are all I want

If that's what Watch Dogs is

Give it to me

Right into my veins

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I really, really doubt Watch_Dogs is an Assassin's Creed game.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I

I don't think anyone means literally, Blank

• Options
    I've seen some people that definitely are being literal.

Lots of really dumb theories that all hinge on the fact that they hid the Sci-Fi element from promos in the first game.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Nah it seems kinda ACy.

Not sure if I really want to buy one straight off the bat though.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'd really like to know what media capabilities it has though.

• Options
    Let me rephrase. I'd like to know if the ps4 media functions aren't clunky and difficult to access.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Knack seems neat but I wanna see more of it

Media molecule's... Thing looks rad

I loved braid so I'm all about the witness

Don't give a shit about kill zone or driving

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Watch Dogs is an Assassin's Creed game much in the way that Assassin's Creed is a Prince of Persia game

it takes a lot of the same cues and could be considered a spiritual cousin but it's not Assassin's Creed

though I would not be surprised to hear that it started as one, much like Assassin's Creed started as a Prince of Persia spin-off

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I think Watch_Dog's AC-y ness is pretty much due to it being a free-roaming game made by Ubisoft Montreal

you make 5 AC games and I am sure the movement style and gameplay mechanics will become kinda instinctual

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Let me rephrase. I'd like to know if the ps4 media functions aren't clunky and difficult to access.

Please Sony put a decent fucking internet browser on this console. Shit, Chrome's free, just roll that out.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what I really like about Splinter Cell Blacklist's marketing is they keep showing the same level over and over, but each time they give you a brand new way to get through it

I want to see that in Watch Dogs with the original Demarco level, cause recent Assassin's Creed games have had a big problem of giving you a bunch of neat tools but then not designing their missions to use them, not even giving you the billions of assassination contracts of AC2 and AssBro

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Who actually uses browsers on their consoles

• Options
    I did for a few months while my computer was dead. Actually, if my console was hardware capable of using the internet properly (like the PS4) and had a good browser (so NOT the PS3, then) I would do the vast majority of my internetting from the couch.

• Options
    I just can't ever see a console or handheld game system having a good browser

360, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Vita

All just awful

• Options
    Well the wiiU would work on the controller.

• Options
    My major complaint about the ps3's media jazz is that the file structure to access the default folder the pc's is under like six layers of menus.

And it can't do most modern encoding either.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    the wiiu browser isn't very good even with the touch screen.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    liking those depressed analog sticks, but i cannot believe they're still using the same shitty d-pad

Fuckin what?. The dual shock has had the best d-pad of all the consoles since like... always.

Maybe it's the day that 4-button monstrosity of a D-pad stopped giving the only person who matters in the world blisters.

(Me, I'm the one who matters.)

This is mostly me being dramatic, the last time I played a console long enough for me to get blisters from it was back in high school.

But they were pretty nightmarish blisters, and I've never forgiven Sony because I am a hateful child.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    My major complaint about the ps3's media jazz is that the file structure to access the default folder the pc's is under like six layers of menus.

And it can't do most modern encoding either.

It does ATRAC! That's popular, right?

Seriously though, it's meant to be able to do quite a few formats:
    Audio: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/music/filetypes.html
    Video: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

• Options

I wish it were

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Should I buy a PS2?

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Should I buy a PS2?

with tit's line up, plus the strong playstation line you, you'd be a fool not to!

• Options
    They're cheap enough now

I bought a slim a few months back, along with a memory card, Final Fantasy X, X-2 and XII, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 and 4, and Aggressive Inline all for a total of about $90

Can't beat it when prices are like that

PS2 is the best system

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Where'd you buy yours?

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    A local mom and pop place, those are usually the best bets

• Options
    Mom and Pop video game stores...well, I guess I'll start looking.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I would send you mine but I'm not even sure I still have it

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    i would offer to send you mine, but i might want to play vice city again sometime and i can't take the risk of not being able to.

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I guess I could also send you one of my 4 copies of MGS3

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    how and why do you have four copies of mgs3?

• Options
    Melding, Vice City is on PSN now for $10