As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Antilago[chat]ic

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    The thing about lit crit is that everybody's playing a game in which you can make anything mean anything

I got pretty decent at that once I understood how to play

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Hope the concert lasts more than half an hour because i am running more than a bit late.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    shaz my attractive lady friend with a glorious rack lives in st louis and likes brown boys

ROAD TRIP

WHOA HOLD THE PHONE PODLY

I CAN BE IN ST. LOOIE TONIGHT

let's talk gif sizes

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    In addition to a few hundred dollars in miscellaneous items, the two basic Sloan-Kettering charges are $414 per hour for five hours of nurse time for administering the Flebogamma and a $4,615 charge for the Flebogamma.

According to Alan A., the nurse generally handles three or four patients at a time. That would mean Sloan-Kettering is billing more than $1,200 an hour for that nurse. When I asked Paul Nelson, Sloan-Kettering’s director of financial planning, about the $414-per-hour charge, he explained that 15% of these charges is meant to cover overhead and indirect expenses, 20% is meant to be profit that will cover discounts for Medicare or Medicaid patients, and 65% covers direct expenses. That would still leave the nurse’s time being valued at about $800 an hour (65% of $1,200), again assuming that just three patients were billed for the same hour at $414 each. Pressed on that, Nelson conceded that the profit is higher and is meant to cover other hospital costs like research and capital equipment.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I am eating lunch sitting next to Kevin Nealon

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    Crysis 1 looks as good as Crysis 3. That seems wrong.

Are you looking at PC or console shots? The technical vids I've seen of Crisis 3 indicate that there are definitely improvements in the engine.
    Commercial that came on during Archer.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Elldren wrote: »
    shaz my attractive lady friend with a glorious rack lives in st louis and likes brown boys

ROAD TRIP

You are whiter than the stuff you shoveled out of your drive

details!

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    I am eating lunch sitting next to Kevin Nealon

when he says something shout THAT'S NEWS TO ME

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

Are you looking at PC or console shots? The technical vids I've seen of Crisis 3 indicate that there are definitely improvements in the engine.

I don't think that is a very rigorous comparison! Are you remembering Crysis 1 from memory?

• Options
    Ask him if he is there to PUMP

YOU UP

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    The thing about lit crit is that everybody's playing a game in which you can make anything mean anything

I got pretty decent at that once I understood how to play

i started out in english lit

after moving to philosophy and mathematical logic, I now believe sitting in on an English class should have been covered at the Geneva Convention

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I could totally see how someone could think Huckleberry Finn was hell of racist if they didn't finish it. And it is a long book.

But all of that is just the nescessary buildup to the main character realizing how deeply shitty and racist his culture and religion and everything he had been brought up to think was good really was. That just because someone does the right and Christian thing doesn't mean they aren't terrible people.

It is worth slogging through that long, long book just for this if nothing else.
    "All right, then, I'll GO to hell"--and tore it up.”

No no, these papers I'm talking about are not written by silly or stupid people.

They have very, very specific examples and opinions and they deconstruct every single moment where Huck Finn is supposedly 'doing the right thing' or having a moral crisis moment and explain why he hasn't changed a bit and is still really racist and sort of awful.

If I were allowed to write about the book like they are, these would actually be very good papers.

But the essay topics are like "discuss the symbolism of the river as it relates to social constraints."

And none of these essays care to talk about any of that, they are all interested in breaking down Huck and/or Twain's racism.

• Options
    tell him I want to fuck his wife

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I know a guy whose last name means Sabre

Apropos of nothing

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

I don't think that is a very rigorous comparison! Are you remembering Crysis 1 from memory?

The new suit is hideous.

• Options
    that's not what "deconstruct" means

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    AUGH!

I want to be home, playing Revengeance...

But I'm stuck at school.

Fuck this not-having-a-car state of affairs

• Options

Can you tell what I meant by what I said though?

Was I clear enough for you?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Today is the worst

Someone was a dick in the parking lot
    Lady cuts in front of me in line at Starbucks
    Friend canceling lunch

No job

Stupid cat

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    So are these people going to be failed

I want someone to fail for not following a prompt properly

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    I thought Uncle Tom's Cabin was now criticized for basically having the black hero be purely a helpless victim who never did jack shit for himself.

Bootstraps?

More like the book infantilizes the main character from what I have heard.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    just reading that made me resent the memory of literature classes

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Deconstruct doesn't have to refer to Derrida or post structural whatevers.

It can just mean "to disassemble or break down."

I mean we already have analyze, but that's a more positive synonym

• Options
    This guy didn't put in my extra shot I'm sure

Raining like cats and dogs now too

• Options
    This is my very last lit class i think. I will be very, very happy to be done with them. I do not like studying anything in the humanities and I particularly want to get away from the instructors.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    ronya wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    my pet suspicion is that you can't get political pressure to control costs in hospitals until you get some way to relieve hospitals of a duty to treat
    Other countries seem to control costs way better than we do and don't give up the duty to treat.

because they adopted the universal duty to treat after they introduced state healthcare

moving in the opposite direction requires hospitals pushing back against being driven to bankruptcy in a difficult direction

Hospitals don't have a duty to treat in the US.

Emergency departments do, but that covers the ED only.

Emergency costs are one driver of overall healthcare costs, but they're not a primary driver.

it's ballooning admin costs, if I followed the debate correctly

Ballooning administrative costs and overutilization are the least controversial drivers. (But of course no two people will ever agree on what exactly constitutes "over"utilization versus appropriate utilization.)

Rising costs were masked for a little while in the 90s by insurance companies profiting more off of float via stock market investments.

Diversion of patients from low-cost primary care offices into high-cost emergency departments due to lack of health insurance is a cost driver. On an overall national scale it's not that big of a cost driver, but when looking at public expenditures specifically it's important because EDs receive a disproportionate share of public funds.

Poor record-keeping and inter-provider coordination cause more medical errors, which can be ameliorated by better use of electronic health records, but the adoption of EHR usually turns out to be much more expensive in the short-run than the medical errors that it prevents, which is why Medicare is offering incentives for it.

I also firmly believe that the AMA and the AAMC are flagrantly rent-seeking by trying to keep the supply of MDs artificially low and their value artificially high, but I recognize that this is a controversial interpretation.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Every essay about Huck Finn is wildly negative.

I'm reading one right now where this lady bitches at length about how terrible America is because Huck Finn is popular and Uncle Tom's Cabin isn't.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that maybe it's because Uncle Tom's Cabin is long as fuck and horrifically boring from start to finish.

wait... Uncle Tom's Cabin?

what the hell was her problem?

Huck Finn is racist and Uncle Tom's Cabin tells a better story about oppression and should therefore be taught widely in schools instead of Huck.

Every single essay I have read on Huck Finn so far begins with the assumption that it's a horrible racist novel.

I have to assume that is the academic hivemind view on the book.

it is not.

Mark Twain was basically a giant troll. He was a Southerner and obviously had a lot of love for the Southern culture. But at the same time he was hardly a fan of slavery and wrote about it in the msot cynical sarastic way possible. Hr reduced both the salves and the slave owners to cartoon stereotypes to make fun of the whole ridiculous thing.

someone needs to explain the meaning of the word satire to your class

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

ROAD TRIP

let's talk gif sizes

lmad-curtain.GIF

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    do it enough and it stops being testing your ability to bullshit links between arbitrary concepts

and starts being about your ability to keep ten thousand authors and their bullshit pet theories straight

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Today is the worst

Someone was a dick in the parking lot
    Lady cuts in front of me in line at Starbucks
    Friend canceling lunch

No job

Stupid cat

Gooey is sitting next to Kevin Nealon though, so there's that

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    This guy didn't put in my extra shot I'm sure

Raining like cats and dogs now too
    royal+dog.jpg
    tumblr_ly5ss9WgOY1qgjgvto1_500.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Every essay about Huck Finn is wildly negative.

I'm reading one right now where this lady bitches at length about how terrible America is because Huck Finn is popular and Uncle Tom's Cabin isn't.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that maybe it's because Uncle Tom's Cabin is long as fuck and horrifically boring from start to finish.

wait... Uncle Tom's Cabin?

what the hell was her problem?

Huck Finn is racist and Uncle Tom's Cabin tells a better story about oppression and should therefore be taught widely in schools instead of Huck.

Every single essay I have read on Huck Finn so far begins with the assumption that it's a horrible racist novel.

I have to assume that is the academic hivemind view on the book.

it is not.

Mark Twain was basically a giant troll. He was a Southerner and obviously had a lot of love for the Southern culture. But at the same time he was hardly a fan of slavery and wrote about it in the msot cynical sarastic way possible. Hr reduced both the salves and the slave owners to cartoon stereotypes to make fun of the whole ridiculous thing.

someone needs to explain the meaning of the word satire to your class

This.

Mark Twain is in many ways the precursor to Stewart/Colbert. Especially Colbert.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Fuck!

Can't even get myself to write anything, just a lazy lump

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @Podly @Evil Multifarious

What is the proper way to use the word 'deconstruct?'

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    my pet suspicion is that you can't get political pressure to control costs in hospitals until you get some way to relieve hospitals of a duty to treat
    Other countries seem to control costs way better than we do and don't give up the duty to treat.

because they adopted the universal duty to treat after they introduced state healthcare

moving in the opposite direction requires hospitals pushing back against being driven to bankruptcy in a difficult direction

Hospitals don't have a duty to treat in the US.

Emergency departments do, but that covers the ED only.

Emergency costs are one driver of overall healthcare costs, but they're not a primary driver.

it's ballooning admin costs, if I followed the debate correctly

The private insurance system is the cause of this.

For ever doctor doing work you need like 2 people filling out paperwork and yelling at the insurance companies to get paid.

This is why even though it pays less doctors like Medicare, because the government just pays their damn bills.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Fuck!

You can do it, SIG, i belieeeeeeve in you.

• Options
    Fuck!

what are you trying to write, sig?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Lit crit and art crit is important and valuable but the way they do it in schools and academia is uiuuggghhhbhfhdhrhrhsna

• Options

Can you tell what I meant by what I said though?

Was I clear enough for you?

It was. But if you are discussing English Literary Criticism and you use the word "deconstruct" as analogous to "critique/analyze" you are adding to a big big big problem of people co-opting very specific and abstruse philosophical tools and using them willy-nillly to spew bullshit.

Don't do that.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    "No Job, Stupid Cat" is a good title for a poem

This discussion has been closed.