Options

The [Free MMO Überlist]

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    I see it as "I am so bad at games I need to buy help with money".
    That's assuming you even can finish dungeons without using those pots.

You can,I finished two.
    Now later dungeons? No clue, I don't think I'll ever get the chance to try it out XD

The game certainly becomes a lot cooler if you play it like a roguelike and your character actually CAN die.
    I just see how far I can get, trying my best to stay alive. I refuse to ever use anything that helps me revive easier.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    There are definitely ways to avoid permadeath in Wizardry. They apparently tried to avoid the situation where you lag/disconnect/get mauled by a kitten and die horribly, losing everything in the process. You touch these statues in the dungeon that you have to deal with whenever your character hits the dirt. You can be picked up by another character and brought there in order to resurrect. They can also rifle through your shit and take whatever they want out of it. In other situations, I believe they can rez you with a spell.

If none of this is available, you're placed at a weird screen where your soul is on one end of these scales and shit you can place down is on the other. Essentially, you have to balance out the weight of your soul with items in order to come back. After a certain amount of deaths(I think), hideous demons are spawned that will try and murder your spirit body. If they kill you, or a fifteen(?) minute timer runs out, your soul literally burns up and you're done.

That's what I remember of things, anyway. It's been a few months since I tried it. I managed to snag an invite to the beta a short while back. The graphics were okay. I liked the music and atmosphere in the dungeons. The traps will definitely murder you with the quickness. Combat was a bit weird, but those familiar with the old first-person dungeon crawlers will get the gist of it. Draw your weapon to enter combat mode, movement is limited, dodging is required, your character is committed to attacks once they're made, etc.

The interface took some getting used to, but it was fairly reasonable after I fiddled with things for a bit. Gameplay and NPC interaction was the typical sort of fare. I believe there is storage for your items in case you wind up dead somehow, though the storage seemed obviously limited. Not sure what they've changed since launch, so I would have to install the game again and give it a spin. I'm currently stuck in the middle of Path of Exile, Awesomenauts, random spurts of DOTA 2, and a renewed interest in Vanguard, Firefall, and Everquest 2, however.

Still, I may give the game another shot at some point. A few of my friends were interested in trying things out, so I had a plan to start a group like the ones we used to run on the tabletop. We'll see how that pans out. If our test runs are enjoyable enough, a video series on my YouTube channel seems like a thing I could do. Hand-drawn character art, a reasonable intro, some story here and there written by us in turn, etc. This would more than likely be a project made by us for us, but it's not the first time such a thing as happened. Until then, however, I'm going to be spending most of my time punching people as a wolf man/lizard man/space dog/Troll Warlord.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    First beta weekend for Neverwinter hits next week. While the game's F2P and not done, that doesn't mean Cryptic doesn't want your cash now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgLwfzBY_XM

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    I believe this month's PC Gamer has a beta code (with a promo horsie) for Neverwinter if you want a cheaper route to get into that beta.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Hmm. Might get back into POTBS and Lotro. Lotro I can trust to still be good, what about POTBS?

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Got an email a few days ago saying they were transferring control of PotBS
    Ahoy there!

As you may know, Pirates of the Burning Sea (PotBS) will be leaving SOE's family of games at the end of the month and setting sail with Portalus Games. Portalus may be a new name, but the people behind it are veterans of Flying Lab who love the game. They have banded together to form a new company whose sole focus is PotBS, and will continue running, developing, and expanding the game into the future.
    I'm personally very excited about Portalus and I'm looking forward to where they'll be taking PotBS, but it will be as a player, not as a member of the development team. I've had a lot of great moments in the development of Pirates, and while the details of these moments are wildly varied, they all revolve around the same thing: interacting with you, the players. We decided to build an MMO because we wanted to have a more direct relationship with our players, and PotBS came through in spades. I’ve enjoyed going out, and meeting and talking with so many of you, and I wouldn’t trade a moment of it for the world.
    I want to thank all of you for your support, and if one day you're sailing on the open seas, and you meet a grizzled old Pirate who talks about the old days, think a kindly thought for me. Then give him a broadsides and take his ship!! See you on the Burning Seas!
    Russell Williams
    - Co-Founder Flying Lab
    REMINDER: Pirates of the Burning Sea servers will be shut down at 10:30pm PST on 1/31/13.

So who knows.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I wonder if Cryptic is going to send half the staff to work on a new project after Neverwinter launches. I mean they're two for two on that front already (CO and STO).

It would be nice if they could shuffle some of those people back to their previous projects, but given they don't seem to be willing to hire enough to run all their mmos (or able, for that matter, nobody knows what perfect world has given them as far as resources) it's likely the other two will remain in the quasi-maintenance state they're stuck into. Which is a shame.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So. Wizardry Online. I've been playing this the last couple of days, gone through the first 3 dungeons with a few friends. Honestly? It's a bit rough around the edges but it's not terrible. I haven't had an issue with needing healing pots from the cash shop, but dropped healing pots/my own self heal/camps have all been enough to keep me alive (for the most part). Plus even with the permadeath (which the chance DOES lower as you get higher level, so eventually you really do have to worry about it) you retain a lot of progress. I'm level 8 now and I'm still wanting to press on.

Maybe not for everyone, but I kinda like it.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    TERA has just gone F2P, for the many people sitting on the "I'm interested, but not enough to subscribe" fence. Just don't make a Mystic as your first character.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    I wonder if Cryptic is going to send half the staff to work on a new project after Neverwinter launches. I mean they're two for two on that front already (CO and STO).

It would be nice if they could shuffle some of those people back to their previous projects, but given they don't seem to be willing to hire enough to run all their mmos (or able, for that matter, nobody knows what perfect world has given them as far as resources) it's likely the other two will remain in the quasi-maintenance state they're stuck into. Which is a shame.

There were some interviews with the president of Cryptic a few years ago when Neverwinter was first announced, where he basically straight up admits that Cryptic was pumping out a lot of games on a high speed, low cost schedule because they could do it and they naively thought that it would keep working, because City of Heroes was such a success. They're pretty keenly aware that their past few games have met with pretty tepid commercial and critical reception and that they needed to totally reassess their approach with Neverwinter.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134413/not_so_cryptic_neverwinter_and_a_.php?page=3
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/08/23/massively-exclusive-jack-emmert-speaks-about-neverwinter-and-a/

• Options
    ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I made a thread for Ragnarok Online 2, if anyone wants to check that out.

ghostbandit on
    stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    So. Wizardry Online. I've been playing this the last couple of days, gone through the first 3 dungeons with a few friends. Honestly? It's a bit rough around the edges but it's not terrible. I haven't had an issue with needing healing pots from the cash shop, but dropped healing pots/my own self heal/camps have all been enough to keep me alive (for the most part). Plus even with the permadeath (which the chance DOES lower as you get higher level, so eventually you really do have to worry about it) you retain a lot of progress. I'm level 8 now and I'm still wanting to press on.

Maybe not for everyone, but I kinda like it.

I also like it. It really does capture the feel of the Wizardy games more than I expected. Plus the combat is active (at least for warrior). You can time your attacks and blocks to take 0 damage if you're good enough.

Granted, I'm only level 5 and 1/2 way through the first dungeon (soloing for now), but my first impressions are pretty good. The chests with disarm/trap chances, the unidentified items, random stat gains on level up. All classic stuff. I hope I can find a regular group to play with, it's totally a small party type of game (3-4 characters grouping up together).

Biggest negatives so far: Long load times, unstable client and server, graphics and engine are outdated, drab colors for the graphics, pvp may become an issue later (griefing).

• Options
    ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    i played wizardry for about 20 minutes then quit.

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    i played wizardry for about 20 minutes then quit.

It starts out shitty and slow. Lots of cutscenes and intro quests which are lame.

The game doesn't start until you get to the first dungeon and start questing.

• Options
    ran88dom99ran88dom99 Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I made a list and mini review of all mmofps on steam.

ran88dom99 on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    TERA has just gone F2P, for the many people sitting on the "I'm interested, but not enough to subscribe" fence. Just don't make a Mystic as your first character.

I heard good things about this before. Can anyone give me a quick intro/recommendation? I'm not super free on time, but if it's fun I would like to give it a try.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

I heard good things about this before. Can anyone give me a quick intro/recommendation? I'm not super free on time, but if it's fun I would like to give it a try.

It's worth trying out for free. I think it's pretty awesome.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular

Hey, Kime. Tera's pretty boss. While there's absolutely nothing special about the plot or the quest lines or whatever (it's all extremely run of the mill kill X or collect Y amounts of Z), the gameplay and visuals are second to none in MMOs. If story and characters and junk aren't high on your priority list, the gameplay is very smooth, absolutely beautiful, and skill-based. If the enemy model swings at you and their model hits your model, you get hit. If you step out of the way, then you don't get hit. Likewise when you swing that giant-ass sword around, everything you hit actually gets hit. It's beautiful. If you're really good at judging enemy movements and responding, you can take out near boss-level mobs without taking a single hit.

It's free. At least give it a shot. And play the slayer for maximum gameplay fun.

• Options
    Word of warning, the game is huge; 27GB installed, and I think it needs twice that to install (it only deletes the install files after it's finished).

• Options
    Newest MMO Underground is up and colored me shocked when about fifteen minutes or so in, I shockingly hear mention of an EM I impulseivly sent the host about an ugly incident that happened in TOR that I also mentioned here in the forums. I sent it on the off-chance it could be used to spark off one of their discussions about MMOs but I never really thought it'd get brought up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_UoMv39wWq4

• Options
    TheBog wrote: »

Hey, Kime. Tera's pretty boss. While there's absolutely nothing special about the plot or the quest lines or whatever (it's all extremely run of the mill kill X or collect Y amounts of Z), the gameplay and visuals are second to none in MMOs. If story and characters and junk aren't high on your priority list, the gameplay is very smooth, absolutely beautiful, and skill-based. If the enemy model swings at you and their model hits your model, you get hit. If you step out of the way, then you don't get hit. Likewise when you swing that giant-ass sword around, everything you hit actually gets hit. It's beautiful. If you're really good at judging enemy movements and responding, you can take out near boss-level mobs without taking a single hit.

It's free. At least give it a shot. And play the slayer for maximum gameplay fun.

I do actually care a lot about story and characters, but that doesn't mean every game has to have them.

Thanks for the input Kalnaur, Bog, and Glal, I'll probably try it out in the next couple days then.

Steam profile
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    I made a thread for Ragnarok Online 2, if anyone wants to check that out.

Is this game out? I had no idea it was even coming to the west anymore, its been in limbo for ages.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    So yeah, Tera is pretty fun thanks to those who recommended it.

Question though: Does it get hard ever? I'm playing with a friend of mine, and we're at level 10-ish, and it hasn't really ever been challenging yet. Maybe like one fight I got to 50% HP. Am I just really good (:P) or is the game easy? And either way, will it get harder?

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    You need to leave the starting island, mobs there barely dent you. Later mobs aren't dangerous by themselves, but they tend to come in large packs and getting hit by a lot of tiny mobs will often stagger you and leave you vulnerable for the pack's big boy to wallop you.
    You also have BAMs (Big Ass Mobs), which have a huge healthbar, can knock you down and hurt you just by walking through you and can kill you in a few hits. They're meant to be taken on in a group, but pretty much all DPS classes can solo them... if played well.

For me the fun in the game comes from pulling 3-4 packs of quest mobs and taking them on at the same time. And boy does that hurt if you get caught out!

Glal on
  • Options
    OK cool, that sounds good :)

Steam profile
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried Star Conflict? If I don't get a terrible review by tonight I'll subject myself to trying it out.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Has anyone poked Hellgate:London recently to see if the f2p version is playable/enjoyable?

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Star Conflict? If I don't get a terrible review by tonight I'll subject myself to trying it out.
    I downloaded it, but it wasn't for me. The movement and combat seem really janky to me. The movement and firing are detached in a way that feels wrong. Note that it's not a true MMO, but an arcadey spaceship team death match.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    I downloaded it, but it wasn't for me. The movement and combat seem really janky to me. The movement and firing are detached in a way that feels wrong. Note that it's not a true MMO, but an arcadey spaceship team death match.

I just tried it out myself and I echo every statement you've made here. It's a lot like, say, World of Space Tanks with disjointed controls.

It's not for me either. Thanks for the input.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Has anyone poked Hellgate:London recently to see if the f2p version is playable/enjoyable?

I have cautiously poked it. The changes are... weird? They released the Hellgate: Japan content that was apparently being planned before Flagship went under, and cleaned up some other parts of the gameplay. This is kind of offset by very strange quest additions that were never in the original game - often in mangled Engrish to boot. There's a minor paywall in the form of a small fee to continue past the end of Act II (or was it III? I forget offhand.)

It's playable, although I wouldn't exactly endorse it. Your mileage may vary.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I have cautiously poked it. The changes are... weird? They released the Hellgate: Japan content that was apparently being planned before Flagship went under, and cleaned up some other parts of the gameplay. This is kind of offset by very strange quest additions that were never in the original game - often in mangled Engrish to boot. There's a minor paywall in the form of a small fee to continue past the end of Act II (or was it III? I forget offhand.)

It's playable, although I wouldn't exactly endorse it. Your mileage may vary.

They also removed all the graphical options, and removed all the DX10 effects. It's basically locked at the lowest settings.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    D:

• Options
    spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    So, I just noticed that Age of Conan: Unchained is F2P on Steam today. Anyone got some info on it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spitfirek wrote: »
    So, I just noticed that Age of Conan: Unchained is F2P on Steam today. Anyone got some info on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hAwxS4kXJE

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    spitfirek wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hAwxS4kXJE

That was surprisingly... Good for Zero Punctuation.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    MMOburger

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Now I kind of want to see someone try to launch a massively multiplayer online burger joint simulator. At the very least, it could be like Mafia Wars or some other dumb shit only with old-school drive-ins and knockoff retro Sonic restaurants instead of drug rackets and money laundering businesses.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Well, there was The Sims Online...

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.