Options

Iron Man, Iron Man, does whatever some iron can... For the 3rd(4th) time. [Iron Man 3]

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That

that doesn't make any sense at all

by that logic the more popular, modern version, that being Carol Danvers, would get the movie.

Mar-Vell was never a huge seller or a super popular property and his most famous story involves him dying of cancer.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I still have hope that the Marvel Studios people have Captain Marvel penciled in for Phase 3 along with Black Panther.

If they do, it won't be Carol Danvers as its lead. :(

You seriously think they would make a movie about Mar-Vell?

He has a higher chance than Danvers.

How are you so certain?

http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/post/23415131312/joe-quesada-on-female-led-marvel-movies

This is the general thought a Black Widow movie must contend with to get a green light from within Hollywood. Some of it, anyway. Though Marvel should have a greater shot at making a Black Widow movie hit the silver screen before WB's Wonder Woman.

It looks like Fiege is interested but it might be a long time before they get a chanced to make it, if they do that.

http://screenrant.com/black-widow-movie-cameos-avengers-rob-168435/

I still think that there's more chance that they'll make a Carol movie than a Mar-Vell movie, simply because 1) He's been dead for thirty years and 2) He was never that interesting in the first place. If they're going to take a gamble on Captain Marvel, it's going to be on the character with the highest visibility in the comics. Kind of like how the Guardians of the Galaxy movie isn't about Vance Astro, Yondu, Martinex, and Charlie-27.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    And Marvel still hasn't officially brought Mar-vell back from the dead out of respect for the writer of the Death of Captain Marvel storyline, skrull clone and the one that showed up in Secret Avengers during AvsX (and died again) notwithstanding.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    That

that doesn't make any sense at all

by that logic the more popular, modern version, that being Carol Danvers, would get the movie.

Mar-Vell was never a huge seller or a super popular property and his most famous story involves him dying of cancer.

<- This is Undead Scottsman

/\ That was Undead Scottsman misreading the conversation.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    there was also the evil version from the cancerverse

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    also didn't Mar-Vell show up in Chaos War

of course, nobody read Chaos War

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Balefuego wrote: »

Honestly, that was a fucking awesome idea that didn't pay out as well as I'd have hoped.

Hmm.. 100 pages. I suppose it's time for dormancy until the next comic-book movie trailer hits.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

I read Chaos War

Herc and Cho, best friends forever

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    It's not really out of respect. Like Bale said, they just had an evil Mar-Vell that decided he'd rather damn his entire universe versus die peacefully. And after that a Phoenix-corrupted flawed ressurection during AvX.

It's just that Mar-Vell is kind of a bland, boring dude. I forget which editor it was, but someone at Marvel was asked why they made Carol Captain Marvel instead of bringing back Mar-Vell and the answer was that they just think Carol is a more interesting character.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Honestly, that was a fucking awesome idea that didn't pay out as well as I'd have hoped.

Hmm.. 100 pages. I suppose it's time for dormancy until the next comic-book movie trailer hits.
    Well, an Iron Man 3 trailer is supposed to hit really soon.

tomorrowish

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Well, an Iron Man 3 trailer is supposed to hit really soon.

tomorrowish

Wait, seriously? I thought we were going to have to wait to mid-march for that one.

EDIT: Got a source on that?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    It's not really out of respect. Like Bale said, they just had an evil Mar-Vell that decided he'd rather damn his entire universe versus die peacefully. And after that a Phoenix-corrupted flawed ressurection during AvX.

It's just that Mar-Vell is kind of a bland, boring dude. I forget which editor it was, but someone at Marvel was asked why they made Carol Captain Marvel instead of bringing back Mar-Vell and the answer was that they just think Carol is a more interesting character.

I remember seeing Brevoort saying things like that a few times.

http://www.formspring.me/TomBrevoort/q/426381589979618739
    I think that both She-Hulk and especially Doctor Strange have a better sales track record than Mar-Vell. Plus--and this is crucial--neither of them have as their most memorable and impactful story the tale of them dying of cancer. In terms of balancing the scales, bringing Mar-Vell back robs the Marvel Universe of something profound, and gives us another blond haired whitebread guy to go zipping around. So far, nobody's proposed anything worthwhile enough to tip those scales and make it seem worthwhile to overturn that story.

http://www.formspring.me/TomBrevoort/q/423489526996943464
    I said that Mar-Vell should remain dead because he was a dull character who appeared in one truly memorable story--that of his death. So overturning that death to bring him back is kinda throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

• Options
    Carol is the best thing about his character, aside from his awesome name

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    It's funny because Avengers: EMH was my first exposure to Captain Marvel, and then when I read his series it was the black and white essentials, so I still picture him as blue. :D

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I read Chaos War

Herc and Cho, best friends forever

So did I. I will read anything with Cho.

Was crushed when it became clear he wasn't a part of the new Young Avengers.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Captain Marvel wasn't that bad a character

having actually read the original Captain Marvel comics there are some pretty decent ones

he fights Thanos and it is very cool!

and Carol has never really had any good series

her original series was alright. Her time on the Avengers was pretty uninspiring. The series she had a few years back was pretty bad, and her current series started off really poorly, before managing to get to okay. She is a decent character and an alright concept but the actual writing of her has been all over the damn place.

The best female characters at Marvel are ones like She-Hulk, who has had a genuinely interesting solo title before, or big team names like Storm and Scarlet Witch (who was, actually pretty fun in the older comics).

Solar on
  • Options
    I'd actually say that, right off the bat, the current Captain Universe is more intriguing and interesting and characterful than Carol Danvers ever was

The Universe is broken. The Universe must be fixed. So the Uni-power bonds with a woman who is broken and must be fixed, who was in a car crash that sent her into a coma, and who now has awoken with fragmented memories, linked to a force of incredible cosmic power.

That's pretty cool! Carol Danvers was a woman who dated Captain Marvel and got powers in an explosion and then was a pretty generic second wave feminist character in the 70's. I don't mind her, I think she has a lot of potential, but she is not Marvel's premier female character. She could be! But not yet. In terms of active current characters, it's probably Storm.

(give Storm a solo book I say)

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I think the Brian Reed Ms. Marvel book is mostly pretty good and certainly not bad by any means.

• Options
    Really?

I thought it was at best mediocre and at worst terrible

there is a scene where Carol Danvers takes a Super-Skrull into orbit and then casually spends the time watching said Super-Skrull asphyxiate and die slowly and painfully with a huge smile on her face while the thought caption box goes on about how she is enjoying this

so what you are saying, Mr Reed, is that she is a violent sociopath!

what the fucking fuck

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    When women are psychopaths it's empowering

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Really?

there is a scene where Carol Danvers takes a Super-Skrull into orbit and then casually spends the time watching said Super-Skrull asphyxiate and die slowly and painfully with a huge smile on her face while the thought caption box goes on about how she is enjoying this

what the fucking fuck

If that was during the end of Secret Invasion, literally everyone during that was written as a violent sociopath who gleefully visited a final genocide on a species too stupid not to piss off a planet that has kicked their ass essentially every week for 30 years.

• Options
    I liked the concept of that issue just fine.

Both in and out of her series for a bunch of story arcs she kept getting out into situations where everything was grey and she had to mentally struggle with what was right and wrong and who the good and bad guys really were and had to fight friends and team up with enemies and try to get oversold grudges and basically just slowly was wearing down mentally.

So the Skrulls invade and bam, finally she has something she can be sure about. She's a solider, bad guys are trying to kill people and conquer her planet, she gets to just fight in a war where she feels sure she is one of the good guys and sure they are the bad guys and she can just cut loose.

Was the space scene taking it too far. Yeah, probably. But that was one poorly-concieved couple of pages in one issue that at least had a solid idea behind it, in a series that ran for years. It's a bad scene but Im not going to condemn an entire series for it.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Really?

what the fucking fuck

If that was during the end of Secret Invasion, literally everyone during that was written as a violent sociopath who gleefully visited a final genocide on a species too stupid not to piss off a planet that has kicked their ass essentially every week for 30 years.

Brian Reed wrote that series for years

and he wrote that scene

and it was a stupid, bad scene in a stupid bad book

saying that other books were just as crap doesn't alleviate the problems of that specific series

• Options
    edited March 2013
    If we are going to shit on entire runs based on one bad scene or arc there's a whole lot of runs we can shit on.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    BusterK wrote: »

See this is one of the weird elements about Carol Danvers

in that she was written in a time where being a strong female character meant being a tough, hard, military woman who took no shit etc

in other words, she was a bit of a generic action girl. Professional! Dedicated to the job! Has trouble showing her emotions! There are plenty like her from around that time, like Bobbi Morse for example, and they kind of seem weak to 2D compared to characters like She-Hulk and Black Widow and so on who weren't like that, they were actually strong confident women who nonetheless had specific, interesting characters that were very definitely them, and not someone else.

And that is why Carol Danvers never really took off like Jen or Ororo or Natasha did, because they all feel like actual real admirable people whereas Carol Danvers was a bit of a cipher. It kept on going through Reed's series as well. In the current series it isn't there so much but there was a great degree of tell not show, and it felt again like the character was a cipher to talk about women superheroes and not actually a women superhero who stands on her own feet.

Wonder Woman was similar to that at times. Currently, her series is fantastic because it doesn't say "here is a scene about gender politics," it says "here is a scene where Wonder Woman is a deep, carefully thought out, emotionally realized character," which says everything you need to.

basically I hate ham handed allegorical metaphors that show about the same subtlety as a brick in a sock

Solar on
  • Options
    I liked the concept of that issue just fine.

Both in and out of her series for a bunch of story arcs she kept getting out into situations where everything was grey and she had to mentally struggle with what was right and wrong and who the good and bad guys really were and had to fight friends and team up with enemies and try to get oversold grudges and basically just slowly was wearing down mentally.

So the Skrulls invade and bam, finally she has something she can be sure about. She's a solider, bad guys are trying to kill people and conquer her planet, she gets to just fight in a war where she feels sure she is one of the good guys and sure they are the bad guys and she can just cut loose.

Was the space scene taking it too far. Yeah, probably. But that was one poorly-concieved couple of pages in one issue that at least had a solid idea behind it, in a series that ran for years. It's a bad scene but Im not going to condemn an entire series for it.

No see that is entirely wrong! That is terrible! That is making your enemies faceless and nameless others who it is okay to kill and murder and torture without any attempt to see them as actual people, the results of their own experiences and culture and so on. The Skrulls that attacked Earth were not that at all, they were the last remnants of a dying people clinging desperately to an ancient religious prophecy, the only thing that gave them hope. They were the bad guys but they did actually have personality and the fact that in Ms Marvel they are reduced to meatsacks for her to punch was awful.

Like, it portrayed war as a place where you can do those things and it is okay because they are the clear, black and white enemies right? You can kill them horribly because of the line that clearly delineates right and wrong, right? Fuck that. That's the worst kind of 1950's DC war comics bullshit that they got rid of in the sixties and seventies when comics were portraying the Vietcong as actual real human beings and asking whether it is okay to kill people horribly as long as the government has made it legal and told you it is okay.

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    I wish Kathryn Bigelow would make a Wonder Woman movie

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    BusterK wrote: »

See this is one of the weird elements about Carol Danvers

in that she was written in a time where being a strong female character meant being a tough, hard, military woman who took no shit etc

in other words, she was a bit of a generic action girl. Professional! Dedicated to the job! Has trouble showing her emotions! There are plenty like her from around that time, like Bobbi Morse for example, and they kind of seem weak to 2D compared to characters like She-Hulk and Black Widow and so on who weren't like that, they were actually strong confident women who nonetheless had specific, interesting characters that were very definitely them, and not someone else.

And that is why Carol Danvers never really took off like Jen or Ororo or Natasha did, because they all feel like actual real admirable people whereas Carol Danvers was a bit of a cipher. It kept on going through Reed's series as well. In the current series it isn't there so much but there was a great degree of tell not show, and it felt again like the character was a cipher to talk about women superheroes and not actually a women superhero who stands on her own feet.

Carol has been pretty successful since the beginning. While she's never been as popular as those two, she never really had the benefit they had by being in popular media adaptions, like they had with the X-men and Hulk cartoons. Despite that her first series was a solo that had a decent run before being cancelled. Not bad for a character whose only claim to fame was being Captain Mar-Vell's friend in Marvel Super-Heroes. Her second series was successful, too. Not a major hit but it did well for a series about a female main character and no big creators, unlike her first series which was written by Chris Claremont.
    Wonder Woman was similar to that at times. Currently, her series is fantastic because it doesn't say "here is a scene about gender politics," it says "here is a scene where Wonder Woman is a deep, carefully thought out, emotionally realized character," which says everything you need to.

basically I hate ham handed allegorical metaphors that show about the same subtlety as a brick in a sock

Azz isn't the first writer to do in her series.

• Options
    Carol wasn't really very successful. As you said, she never had the benefit of being linked to popular media attachments. And yeah, she had a solo series in the 70's. Who the fuck didn't have a solo series in the 70's? Captain Marvel did for one, and we all know that he was never really that poplar. Ms Marvel was there but it didn't do anything really creatively noteworthy and it wasn't really popular so it's really not worth remembering.

Her second series did last a while, I'll grant you that. About fifty issues? That's not bad for the late 2000s, though lets not forget that it also wasn't very good, also didn't do anything creatively noteworthy and also wasn't at any point so popular that it is anything but forgettable either. You could drop Ms Marvel as anything but an Avengers character and not really lose anything about her.

Also Azz wasn't the first writer to do that no, which is why I said "similar to that at times." I am just saying that right now it's a great book and that is part of the reason why, it's got a lot of modern feminist elements which is cool but it doesn't bash you over the head with them, which is also cool. Not that this has always been the case before! But compared to Ms Marvel's current series, the first issues of which did go down that route, it is a good example of the other, better way to do things.

• Options
    Yeah I had basically no sympathy for the Skrulls.

They were to Earth what Striker is to teenage mutants. Religious nut jobs who kill and slaughter because they think God wants them to.

They were the clear bad guys and they were evil. They took joy in the suffering they were causing.

Take out the space suffocation scene and I'm totally fine with how that issue went down. Carol was happy she got what she felt were clear bad guys to fight for a change, she didn't become, like, Carnage or the Joker or something, gleefully cackling while mowing people down. She had a job to do that she could finally be sure was actually the right thing to do, and she let herself enjoy that.

The space scene WAS bad and took it too far, I can agree on that.

And even if I agreed with you on the issue in general it's still one issue out of what, fifty or so?

• Options
    Stop the thread
    I want to get off

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I wish Carol had a large supporting cast, which I guess is what the current series is kind of building for her.

• Options

They were to Earth what Striker is to teenage mutants. Religious nut jobs who kill and slaughter because they think God wants them to.

They were the clear bad guys and they were evil. They took joy in the suffering they were causing.

Take out the space suffocation scene and I'm totally fine with how that issue went down. Carol was happy she got what she felt were clear bad guys to fight for a change, she didn't become, like, Carnage or the Joker or something, gleefully cackling while mowing people down. She had a job to do that she could finally be sure was actually the right thing to do, and she let herself enjoy that.

And even if I agreed with you on the issue in general it's still one issue out of what, fifty or so?

yeah I am gonna say that if you enjoy killing people then no matter who those people are or what they have done you are being a pretty hideous person

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    I wish Carol had a large supporting cast, which I guess is what the current series is kind of building for her.

Ms. Marvel became an ensemble cast during her Project Lightbolt phase in Reed's run.

• Options
    Carol wasn't really very successful. As you said, she never had the benefit of being linked to popular media attachments. And yeah, she had a solo series in the 70's. Who the fuck didn't have a solo series in the 70's? Captain Marvel did for one, and we all know that he was never really that poplar. Ms Marvel was there but it didn't do anything really creatively noteworthy and it wasn't really popular so it's really not worth remembering.

Her second series did last a while, I'll grant you that. About fifty issues? That's not bad for the late 2000s, though lets not forget that it also wasn't very good, also didn't do anything creatively noteworthy and also wasn't at any point so popular that it is anything but forgettable either. You could drop Ms Marvel as anything but an Avengers character and not really lose anything about her.

Guardians of the Galaxy only lasted two years and we're getting a movie out if them. I'm not sure you can attribute successful runs to character viability at this point.

• Options
    That's one of the reasons I dig the Reed series. It built up a big supporting cast. Wonder Man, Arana and her father, Julia Carpenter, Sleepwalker, Machine Man, the Lightning Storm agents, the publicist lady, the love interest dude(I'm forgetting names here), Spidey/Rogue as recurring guests. Forgetting some others I think.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I don't mean like as a team book, but like how Tony has(had) Pepper and Happy, Daredevil has Foggy and his law office friends, just people that help flesh out their lives as "real" people.

• Options

yeah I am gonna say that if you enjoy killing people then no matter who those people are or what they have done you are being a pretty hideous person

And aside from the space scene it didn't come across to me as enjoying killing, it came across to me as enjoying having a fight she could believe in %100.

• Options
    edited March 2013

Guardians of the Galaxy only lasted two years and we're getting a movie out if them. I'm not sure you can attribute successful runs to character viability at this point.

Guardians of the Galaxy was critically successful, however

Critical success is good. It suggests that an idea has depth and quality and so on, and these things make something viable for further exploration.

If you want to make money, get something popular. If you want to make art, get something good. If you are confident that you can do the former then you might as well pick obscure, cult hit examples of the latter. After all, why not make something good and popular? I'd be wary of using Ms Marvel because she's not that popular as an idea and she is hardly critically loved either.

Not to say that they idea of a USAF pilot turned writer with super powers couldn't work, it totally could, just that maybe it wouldn't be my first choice. That said, I do think Marvel should put considerable thought into doing a superhero movie with a female lead. That would be a fantastic thing to see.

Solar on
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    I don't mean like as a team book, but like how Tony has(had) Pepper and Happy, Daredevil has Foggy and his law office friends, just people that help flesh out their lives as "real" people.

I agree. Carol does need a permanent solid support cast.

This discussion has been closed.