As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shadow Moses Pre-PAX Game Night at the Boston Marriott Long Wharf! (Updated 3/20/13)

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Updated with some sad news about the Seaport...

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• SilveraSilvera Registered User new member
    I'll be bringing Sentinels of the Multiverse and Roborally.

Also might bring Zombicide but I'm worried about luggage weight. I'll probably just bring enough pieces for one scenario.

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Ok cool! I'll add them to the OP.

• embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to be attending a Pre-PAX dinner party and will be an hour late to get back to the hotel - around 9 PM, specifically. I'll bring my Dragon Age tabletop game and 3DS then, however! So see y'all then! (In exactly a week, now!)

I think I'm going to be attending a Pre-PAX dinner party and will be an hour late to get back to the hotel - around 9 PM, specifically. I'll bring my Dragon Age tabletop game and 3DS then, however! So see y'all then! (In exactly a week, now!)

Yup! ONE MORE WEEK!

• Sir AurosSir Auros Registered User regular
    I can bring yet another copy of Cards Against Humanity, but I will also have my EDH decks if anyone is down for that.

Sir Auros wrote: »
    I can bring yet another copy of Cards Against Humanity, but I will also have my EDH decks if anyone is down for that.

Awesome! I'll add them to the list in a bit.

As a side note I am calling the Waterline restaurant today. Supposedly they were going to work on some drink specials for us so I'll let you all know what I find out!

• Thunderous_TThunderous_T Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Bought some games to play while waiting in line, so add, Get Bit, Cthulu Dice, and Zombie Dice to the list :D

Prime 2017: Tickets soon please...
    I'll add them when I get home in a bit.

I just got off the phone with Chris at the Waterline. They are working on drink specials for us (Health and Mana potions) and some other cool stuff. I'm meeting with him after I check in on Thursday :)

IT'S SO CLOSE!

• drazakdrazak Registered User regular
    I offered this in the other pre-pax tabletop thread, I can bring cards to play mafia and/or grab a box or two of gatecrash boosters and run MTG drafts. Let me know if anyone is interested in that before I spend the money, would need equal compensation from those entering drafts.

• YavariceYavarice Registered User regular
    I'll try and fit Castle Panic into my luggage, the wails of anguish when that boulder comes down in the wrong sector will be worth it XD

drazak wrote: »
    I offered this in the other pre-pax tabletop thread, I can bring cards to play mafia and/or grab a box or two of gatecrash boosters and run MTG drafts. Let me know if anyone is interested in that before I spend the money, would need equal compensation from those entering drafts.

That sounds awesome! If anyone is interested PLEASE say so!
    Yavarice wrote: »
    I'll try and fit Castle Panic into my luggage, the wails of anguish when that boulder comes down in the wrong sector will be worth it XD

I saw that on Tabletop and it looked really fun!

• gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular

I might be interested in MTG, but I'm new at have a few questions first:

Do you think this would be beginner friendly/casual?
    Could I just bring my own gatecrash deck (custom, pretty good not great)?
    If not (if the point is to build decks from random cards) how many booster packs would I need?
    The booster packs are $4 each right?

I really want to play dragon age, which will take a chunk of time, but I not think it will take the whole night, so I think I'd be up for this, depending on the answers to my questions.

I'd be doing drafts at ~10$ entry per person, need a bit more interest before a drop a couple hundred for booster boxes, if you want prize support it would have to be 12$ I think, we can redraft rares if we don't have prize support.

My only concern with a prize pool, is that you make sure it doesn't run afoul of any local gaming/gambling laws.

I think that a competition with prizes would be too advanced for me. I'm looking to play MTG casually while I am still learning. I'll still bring the cards I have, with which I can make up a couple of different decks.

We'd be using packs or singles as a prize pool, thunderous_T, which is 100% legal as that is how sanctioned MTG tournaments in every state are run.

I'd be doing drafts at ~10$ entry per person, need a bit more interest before a drop a couple hundred for booster boxes, if you want prize support it would have to be 12$ I think, we can redraft rares if we don't have prize support.

Yeah I actually don't think the draft is a good idea after thinking about it for a bit. There's going to be plenty to do I think!

Okee dokee, seems fine, I'll still be looking to moderate mafia and/or play it, I suspect the werewolf is a similar game, so I'd be happy to take part in that. What's the general consensus on swearing etc while playing at game night?

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Okee dokee, seems fine, I'll still be looking to moderate mafia and/or play it, I suspect the werewolf is a similar game, so I'd be happy to take part in that. What's the general consensus on swearing etc while playing at game night?

Are you fucking serious?

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.

Are you fucking serious?

As Lexi so elequently stated, we will not frown upon swearing lol

• royalB117royalB117 Lord Chancellor of the Brotherhood of the Marginally Coordinated America, creators of the [object] and home of the [adjective]Registered User regular
    Which of the games on the list is easy to pick up. I've never really played that many tabletop games, actually no, I've only played resident evil the card game and magic the gathering so if you friendly people could give me some games that don't require an MIT degree and having to read version 3.2109 of the new updated, revised manual I'd really appreciate it.

www.thevitriolicgamer.com
    I do long form opinion articles, previews, reviews and news on pc gaming and consoles.
    The site is still a work in progress and yes I will bloody work on it.
    I'm actually quite nice considering the name, I'm just very snarky.
    royalB117 wrote: »
    Which of the games on the list is easy to pick up. I've never really played that many tabletop games, actually no, I've only played resident evil the card game and magic the gathering so if you friendly people could give me some games that don't require an MIT degree and having to read version 3.2109 of the new updated, revised manual I'd really appreciate it.

Dominion, Gloom, Pandemic.

Staying away from Arkham Horror if you're just starting out is a good idea.

• randy_wreckedrandy_wrecked Gunslinger Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    My train gets into South Station at 8 but this is actually super close to my hotel (Hilton Downtown). I'll definitely try to get there before midnight.

I've got all the CAH stuff plus my 3DS and Vita.

Video Game Hangover is a podcast for gamers who overindulge.
    Put it in your ear holes.
  • royalB117royalB117 Lord Chancellor of the Brotherhood of the Marginally Coordinated America, creators of the [object] and home of the [adjective]Registered User regular
    Allright sweet, I hope whichever tables are carrying those don't fill up too quickly. Thanks Lexi

I do long form opinion articles, previews, reviews and news on pc gaming and consoles.

Munchkin and CAH are easy to pick up as well. CAH is the easier of the two and boy do we have that lol

• RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    Speaking of games that are easy to pick up, looks like I will be able to fit Forbidden Island, so you can add that to the OP, if you like.

The rules are simple, it's cooperative against the board, and usually done in 30 minutes or less.

I wasn't able to fit the AGoT LCG or the Penny Arcade game into my packs, so you should probs strike them from the op :( but i brought the stuff you had listed from me. The good news is, I am officially on vacation for pax now! woot!

Thanks for all the help guys. I've heard a lot about CAH, it's really fun and horrible, in the good way, so I'll be on that first considering you've got a lot of them. Also I'm coming from the Pax dinner so I'll be in at around 7 and since we can't go in until 8 what should I do, just lounge around the lobby?

Yeah just hang around the lobby. I'm sure there will be some people around to hang/game with

I wasn't able to fit the AGoT LCG or the Penny Arcade game into my packs, so you should probs strike them from the op :( but i brought the stuff you had listed from me. The good news is, I am officially on vacation for pax now! woot!

Boooooo, ok I'll update the op in a bit

edited March 2013
    Thanks for all the help guys. I've heard a lot about CAH, it's really fun and horrible, in the good way, so I'll be on that first considering you've got a lot of them. Also I'm coming from the Pax dinner so I'll be in at around 7 and since we can't go in until 8 what should I do, just lounge around the lobby?

CAH is this generation's Mad Libs.

LexiconGrrl on
    Raughn wrote: »
    Speaking of games that are easy to pick up, looks like I will be able to fit Forbidden Island, so you can add that to the OP, if you like.

The rules are simple, it's cooperative against the board, and usually done in 30 minutes or less.

Awesome Game! This is going to be a great event. Can't wait!

So I just checked in to the Marriott and the restaurant looks really nice! It'll look a lot nicer when its filled with gamers :)

• APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    - The hotel is giving us huge, amazing, dedicated space for free. The best way to show your appreciation and support is to order drinks and food from the hotel while you're there.
    So I just checked in to the Marriott and the restaurant looks really nice! It'll look a lot nicer when its filled with gamers :)

I just read through the menu. I'm with you.
    *WHARF STEAK BURGER 15
    black garlic mayonnaise | grafton cheddar | triple smoked bacon

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
    APacMan wrote: »
    - The hotel is giving us huge, amazing, dedicated space for free. The best way to show your appreciation and support is to order drinks and food from the hotel while you're there.

I just read through the menu. I'm with you.
    *WHARF STEAK BURGER 15
    black garlic mayonnaise | grafton cheddar | triple smoked bacon

That sounds DELICIOUS!

• YavariceYavarice Registered User regular
    I somehow fucked up my flight and won't arrive until friday. I guess take castle panic off the list =(

Yavarice wrote: »
    I somehow fucked up my flight and won't arrive until friday. I guess take castle panic off the list =(

Oh that sucks! sorry man!

OMG we're at the Harborside tonight and tomorrow and can see the Mariott from our hotel room. I'll definitely be swinging by tomorrow evening!

OMG we're at the Harborside tonight and tomorrow and can see the Mariott from our hotel room. I'll definitely be swinging by tomorrow evening!

Awesome! Look forward to finally meeting you!