Options

Emeril Sucks - [The Cooking Thread]

• Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Stale wrote: »
    Pkmoutl wrote: »
    Stale, I cannot tell you how many people I have met who think that Europe is "Somewhere over by France."

I once had a friend of mine tell me that Iowa was in the Deep South, "Somewhere south of Georgia or over by Texas somewhere."

People

Suck.

I one asked my social studies teacher why we never learned where other countries really were.

"Why should we?"

Because I'd like to know, might be cool to know where everything is...

"Most of them aren't even real countries, I mean, look at Germany, wherever that is."

At first I thought he was joking. He was not. This was my freshman year teacher.

For only the second time since the beginning of my tenure at these forums, I am completely speechless.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ohh Nazi's sure. We spent months on Nazi's.

but current govt.? hell no.

High schools now a days stop teaching past WW2, because thats when we stopped being victorious chamions of the world.

Perfect example.

I never, not once in school, learned how Canada or Mexico run thier Govt. Never mentioned. I ahve no concept of how the UK runs it, or any modern Euro Govt operates. It is not taught because "it doesn't matter".

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2007
    Our government is based heavily on thunderdome

Tube on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    and I graduated in the fucking 90s

this has been the status quo for years

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Our government is based heavily on thunderdome

Boris Johnson for PM.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I would vote for anyone who banned James Blunt from his house for being "intolerably wet"

Tube on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If I hadn't taken anytime to learn how that shit works on my own, I could very well believe Tube in that all of Europe operates like Bartertown.

I would have no basis for comparison.

"WW2 was started because Nazi's occupied Paris. American's went in and freed all of Europe." This is the kind of shit he said with a stone serious tone of voice and what we were tested on.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    WreckTechWreckTech Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would vote for anyone who banned James Blunt from his house for being "intolerably wet"

Tell me more.

WreckTech on
    I don't know what I'm doing.
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    WreckTech wrote: »

Tell me more.

Boris Johnson is currently the greatest British man alive.

Edit: http://www.boris-johnson.com/

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah so I keep reading the title as So I made children last night...[cooking thread]

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Silmaril wrote: »

Tell me more.

Boris Johnson is currently the greatest British man alive.

Edit: http://www.boris-johnson.com/

He's a great character, but some of his actual morals and beliefs are not only immensely dodgy but pretty fucking dangerous.

but still

he is so damn lovable

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Guys, guys...Scotch eggs are the best breakfast food/snack ever made.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So I just had a "cookie dough" protein bar. Mmm, I thought. I like cookie dough.

It did not taste like cookie dough.

It tasted like ass.

Tube on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think I know more about the world and other countries governments due to Wikipedia than my school. Oh and History Channel. Lots of History Channel. Hmm, some videogames too. And The Daily Show. And Discovery Chanel. And watching Telemundo. If you've ever watched Spanish news, you will notice they take a lot of time on world news - far more than Cspan and/or CNN (which ten to focus on matters related only to the US).

On the actual topic . . .

The Best Appetizer/Snack/Thing/Whatever EVER

Every houehold that can trace it's roots back to Mexico or other latin nation below the border knows how to make this. Yet, through all the years, all these people were unable to procure a name ... Everything is 'to taste', and the fruits can be used interchangeably. It's also a great way to use up cucumber, which is otherwise useless. I buy cucumber only for this - it's not great for much else.

- 1 cucumber or mango or jicama
    - chili pepper
    - salt
    - 1 lemon

Slice up the fruit into bite size peices. As long as you can hold it in your fingers the size is okay. Sprinkle salt and chili pepper over it, to taste. Slice up the lemon and squirt the juice over the fruit. Iff you pust too much salt or pepper, you can always use more lemon to help balance things out ... and that is it. It's very quick, it takes only 5 minutes to make. Go ahead and enjoy it, because it is delicious beyond beleif. It may be considered and acquired taste, I dunno, but you should try it at least once. And that juice left over once you have finished it all? Drink it - I know I compete with whoever is there for what's left. I usually don't win.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So I just had a "cookie dough" protein bar. Mmm, I thought. I like cookie dough.

It did not taste like cookie dough.

It tasted like ass.

So you weren't too disappointed?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pkmoutl wrote: »
    Stale, I cannot tell you how many people I have met who think that Europe is "Somewhere over by France."

I once had a friend of mine tell me that Iowa was in the Deep South, "Somewhere south of Georgia or over by Texas somewhere."

People

Suck.

I one asked my social studies teacher why we never learned where other countries really were.

"Why should we?"

Because I'd like to know, might be cool to know where everything is...

"Most of them aren't even real countries, I mean, look at Germany, wherever that is."

At first I thought he was joking. He was not. This was my freshman year teacher.

I was watching Big Fish with two of my friends and some of their friends.

We get to the part where he's paratrooping into korea (well, I think its Korea, might be wrong there) and I made some stupid comment about how communists cant do ventrilliquism, I dont know, thats not the point. After I said that the girl sitting behind me says:

"They can't be communist, they're Chinese!"

Me and my friend proceded to laugh untill it hurt.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    I dont like spinach in my omelettes

I don't like fucking your mom but I do it anyway because it's good for me.

And its new sig time.

One day i hope to explore the levels of anger CT has achieved.

Also, what do people put on thier pork chops before cooking them in a griddle pan? I tried bbq sauce but most of it got cooked off in the pan. Maybe the scores i made in the chop were not deep enough.

I've only really started cooking recently so suggestions please.

Karl on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I usually just use worcestershire, salt, pepper, and crushed garlic as a marinade for my pork chops. Let 'em soak it in for 30-45 mins.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My chef told me to put hot sauce, worcestershire, and alcohol in every dish.

Best cooking advice ever.

Zombot on
  • Options
    RageRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OP updated.

Need more recipes up in this business. I'm totally making Stale's gyros this weekend.

Also: made this last night for dinner and again, it turned out pretty awesome

Stuffed Chicken with Spinach:

2-6 boneless skinless chicken breast
    1/2 to 1 lb of fresh spinach (a full bunch is roughly a pound)
    4 cloves of garlic, minced
    4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
    Low-fat goat cheese
    Chicken grill seasoning (I use McCormick's Monterey Grill seasoning...)

- Chop and wash the fresh spinach leaves, pulling any heavy stems out and set on paper towels or a colander to drain excess water
    - In a large, deep skillet or frying pan, heat 2 tsp of the olive oil and lightly saute the minced garlic until fragrant (about 30-40 seconds in the oil). Add the fresh spinach leaves in small bunches until the entire batch is wilted down and thoroughly coated in the oil & garlic
    - Using a sharp filet or paring knife, cut the chicken breast from the center of the thickest end inward and create a pocket, leaving roughly 1/2 to 1 inch around the three sides. **NOTE: if your chicken breast "pockets" do not cooperate, simply apply the stuffing mixture to the flat side of the chicken and fold in half, closing with toothpicks

- Spread a generous tablespoon of the goat cheese inside the pocket, and then fill remaining space with the wilted spinach and garlic. Overspill is recommended!
    - Brush the remaining olive oil on the outer surfaces of the chicken breast and lightly coat each breast with the grill seasoning

To cook: the chicken can be cooked in the same frying pan with a little more olive oil, although I highly recommend using a BBQ, stove-top flatiron grill or even a stand-alone kitchen grill like the G.Foreman Grilling Machine.

Grill 10-15 minutes until lightly browned and enjoy!

Rage on
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "Asian style" flank steak

3 parts soy sauce
    1 part honey
    3/4 part sesame oil
    Red pepper flakes (if you like it hot add a lot, otherwise, a pinch will do just fine)
    Garlic, I like a lot, but about 2 decent sized cloves chopped will be good.
    Green onions, cut roughly, about 1/2 inch length.

1st. Salt and pepper the steak, you can get crazy and put all sorts of spices, but the marinade is sort of strong so salt and pepper is really all you need, and don't hold back on the pepper.

2nd combine all the other ingridients in a freezer bag or marinading dish, then drop the meat in. It shouldn't be submerged, just enough to coat the meat. Leave it in there for up to a half hour turning it over every few minutes.

3rd Grill the sucker. If you don't know how to grill: get it hot, preferably about 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook on each side for about 5 minutes, but not too long, flank steak cooks quickly becuase it's a relatively thin cut of meat, and you don't want this to burn. To test if it's done, make a fist and push your index finger into the soft part of your hand, between your thumb and index finger, that's about medium tender, so check that against your meat.

4th. LET IT REST. After you cook any meat, let it hang out before you cut into it. You don't need to let it get cold, but if you cut into it too quickly after it's come off the heat, you'll be cleaning your counters because of all the juices (that could've been INSIDE your steak) have come flowing out.

*this recipe can be adjusted for a tri-tip by adding ginger and mirin/sake. add 1/2 as much mirin/sake as soy. And as much ginger (chopped fine) as garlic, maybe a little less (because I hate ginger). Also, Tri-tips cook for at least 3x as long as a flank steak but don't go flipping it every five minutes, once should be enough as long as it's halfway through.

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I made a bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese for breakfast

mmmm mmm mmmmmmm

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    brian80brian80 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blueberry Stuffed Pork Chops

4 inch-thick pork chops
    6 oz whole grain bread crumbs (toasted)
    1/2 pint fresh blueberries
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    2 eggs
    1/4 onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced

Cut a pocket into each of the pork chops, then salt and pepper each pocket. Saute the onion and garlic together. Combine this with the blueberries, vanilla, eggs, and bread crumbs. Stuff dressing tightly into the pocket of the pork, then place in a hot pan for about 5 minutes on each side. Then place the pork chops on an oven tray, and cook for another 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

I made these 2 days ago, and they turned out amazing.

brian80 on
    Pokemon Diamond FC: 0344 5810 5997
    Smash Bros. FC: 1032 1028 6152
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    fuck I meant to say cooking forum

fuck

why can't I be perfect

like a vulcan

Hey..
    edit.gif

COOKING FORUM

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    RageRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Neville, where's your recipes?

see this? --> :(

Rage on
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    *note, I stopped measuring or remember measurements for anything other than baking.

Lamb Chops

Marinade:
    Olive Oil (about a cup and a half)
    Lemon Juice (maybe from 2 lemons, or 1 and a half)
    Mint- 1/3 of a cup, maybe. Grab about a 1/2 handful of clean leaves.
    Rosemary-about 4 branch/sprig thingy's, strip the leaves and chop them
    Garlic- 3 cloves chopped fine.

Spices:
    this was originally a Emril recipe, with his "essence" mix of spice. I don't use that, I mix garlic salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, chili powder & cayenne pepper and mix that in. that might be about what his "essence" mix is though.

1: Chops need to be "frenched". Cut them apart, remove as much fat as you can, and clean off the rib "handle" as much as possible.

2: Chop the mint and rosemary and garlic, and mix into the olive oil and lemon juice and add your spice mix. no matter what, this will all separate, so just try to beat shake it up, or give it a quick whisk right before you marinade the chops, so that you suspend all the mint and rosemary in the liquid.

3: Marinade for no less than 30 minutes, then grill. They cook quickly, and do tend to flare up, so watch them closely.

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rage wrote: »
    Neville, where's your recipes?

see this? --> :(

i got distracted last night
    i'll put one up tonight.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey...quick question.

I'm moving down Souf, and I'd like to know what comprises a decent spice rack. When I go shopping down there I want a good idea of what I'll need for my cooking needs. (I'd be movin out of the ol house and into the big world!)

I'd use ma's as a point of reference but her application of said spice rack isn't that good. D:

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The most unhealthy recipe ever published.
    This Snickers Pie provides 1,250 calories with a single slice, and is equivalent to 22 teaspoons of fat and 11 teaspoons of sugar. Enjoy, fatties.

Ingredients
    1 packet puff pastry
    140g/5oz mascarpone
    110g/4oz soft cheese
    50g/2oz caster sugar
    3 eggs
    5 Snickers bars, chopped into thin slices
    milk, to glaze

Method
    1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
    2. Roll the block of pastry to 3-4mm thick, and lay over a 20cm/8in fluted tart tin. The four corners of the pastry should hang over the edge.
    3. Beat the mascarpone, soft cheese and sugar together in a large bowl, until smooth.
    4. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
    5. Add the Snickers slices and fold in.
    6. Pour into a lined tart tin, and spread to the edges. Pull the corners of the pastry over the top of the dish, and brush with milk.
    7. Place in the oven for 10 minutes, then lower to 180C/350F/Gas 4 for a further 25 minutes. Turn the heat back up to 200C/400F/Gas 6 and cook for a further 20 minutes until the pie is a golden colour.
    8. Allow to cool before serving.

#pipe on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    brian80 wrote: »
    Blueberry Stuffed Pork Chops

4 inch-thick pork chops
    6 oz whole grain bread crumbs (toasted)
    1/2 pint fresh blueberries
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    2 eggs
    1/4 onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced

Cut a pocket into each of the pork chops, then salt and pepper each pocket. Saute the onion and garlic together. Combine this with the blueberries, vanilla, eggs, and bread crumbs. Stuff dressing tightly into the pocket of the pork, then place in a hot pan for about 5 minutes on each side. Then place the pork chops on an oven tray, and cook for another 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

I made these 2 days ago, and they turned out amazing.

THIS seems like an excellent plan.

May I suggest a side serving of sweet potatoe mash?

Blake T on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    cooking themed art for the cooking thread

easybake.jpg

mully on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I dont think doughnut wheels would be very functional

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    I dont think doughnut wheels would be very functional

they'd be extremely functional if you were really really hungry and couldn't wait for a lightbulb to cook your damn cupcake

mully on
  • Options
    [ink][ink] Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mully wrote: »

easybake.jpg

Is that . . .

the pastry fucker?

[ink] on
    mantissigcq7.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    uh
    yes that will work

mully on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    yes

no

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I warned her about the donut wheels but noooooo.

She'd have to change tires all the time.

Though I suppose they would be fairly functional as...uh...donuts.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    mully wrote: »

easybake.jpg
    My First Rapebot

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Easy Bake Automaton.

by Blammo.

#pipe on