Options

Indie [chat] Booth

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    But chicken is da best!

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Tell me about the rabbits, Inqui...

They taste really good when roasted on a spit.

I've heard that America came close to being a rabbit eating nation instead of a chicken eating nation, but birds were slightly more economical.

But of course, people's tastes early on reinforced themselves.

Anyway, imagine that. A world with Kentucky Fried Rabbit. You go to the store to get rabbit meat. Only weirdos eat chicken, they're mostly just useful for eggs.

And where hares are the delicacy of the rich and well to do.

488W936.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Now I am imagining a character creator with sex being a slider and not just being a check box.

Hmm. Like an M/F slider where features gradually change back and forth? Like, total M has a face that is basically a square and everything and total F is like some hyperfeminine thing?

That would actually be amazing at showing that sex is a constellation of things (as I am fond of saying) and that it isn't discrete but a scale that everyone is plopped down somewhere on and sometimes it overlaps.

Yeah, something like that.

Also, I have to say now that I have heard the phrase "sex is a constellation of things" I am quite fond of it now too. I'm going to try and remember that.

Heh, I'm glad you like it. I came up with it for a trans argument when I realized that sex was made of many variables (estrogen level, testosterone level, breast size, penis/clitoris size (intersexuality makes this one continuous actually), chromosomes, genes, height...) and each of these variables are independent. So you can visualize a person as a point in a hyperdimensional space where each axis is one of these things. And if you do that, then people as a whole are all over the place, because we're so diverse, some women have higher testosterone levels than some men, same with breast size and everything.

So we exist as a sort of cloud of points, where there are two main clouds, but the borders are fuzzy and they overlap significantly.

That's why I called it that, anyway. The mental image calls to mind constellations of stars to me.

One basic truth that needs to be driven home to a lot of people is that there is more variance within each gender than there is variance between the genders.

Hm now I am having problems with that statement because it implies binary genders.

But you get what I mean, I am sure.

Change gender to sex and I think you might be on better footing.

Since sex can change but I think is a more binary term.

Sex is surprisingly nonbinary, actually. But it'd be slightly more correct I think.

I think this is since I look at it in a straight up health interventions and such. Sex is more defined, even though there are cross overs, when it comes to health problems. But yeah I understand it isn't strictly binary but of the two words it is much more binary.

Basically what I am saying my brain tends to separate sex and gender since sex for me tends to deal with medication and treatment options in my head.

God I am too tired to think this out. Going back to reading on developing epi studies.

Mazzyx

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. Like, "women tend to be more likely than men to have X"? Or like, "women can't get X because they don't have Y"?

I think we might agree though actually. Sex is certainly way closer to binary than gender. I dunno.

I enjoy the fact that my body doesn't fit into this binary by the way. For example, despite my genitals, my breast slider is waaaay to the F side at this point :P

And everything else is even crazier. My estrogen levels are higher than what is considered the norm for women. I am like hyperfeminine to the point of disorder there.

Take that, Patriarchy!

More something along the lines of...

X drug has a better reaction with folks with a specific set of body parts.

HPV leads to cervical cancer. Since men don't have a cervix well binary.

This is how I tend to break sex down in binary. Parts matter with disease, especially cancer, pregnancy and so on.

Ohhh. Yeah that makes sense.

Though remember that I have a higher risk of DVT because of my estrogen levels, despite my risk of cervical cancer :P

I guess what I'm saying is even here, it can be useful to separate traits because they don't necessarily go together. But yeah, what you said makes sense, especially when dealing with populations.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I've heard that America came close to being a rabbit eating nation instead of a chicken eating nation, but birds were slightly more economical.

Anyway, imagine that. A world with Kentucky Fried Rabbit. You go to the store to get rabbit meat. Only weirdos eat chicken, they're mostly just useful for eggs.

Rabbit can carry tularemia or rabbit fever.

Transferred through the handling of the meat.

Kind of like an even freakier salmonella.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Rabbit can carry tularemia or rabbit fever.

Transferred through the handling of the meat.

Kind of like an even freakier salmonella.

I've considered going rabbit hunting, so that is something I'm aware and frightened of.

I live in the state that Tulare county is in, too. Fun times.

• Options
    But chicken is da best!

This sentence indicates to me that you have never had ostrich or emu.

• Options
    Now I am imagining a character creator with sex being a slider and not just being a check box.

Hmm. Like an M/F slider where features gradually change back and forth? Like, total M has a face that is basically a square and everything and total F is like some hyperfeminine thing?

That would actually be amazing at showing that sex is a constellation of things (as I am fond of saying) and that it isn't discrete but a scale that everyone is plopped down somewhere on and sometimes it overlaps.

Also, I have to say now that I have heard the phrase "sex is a constellation of things" I am quite fond of it now too. I'm going to try and remember that.

Heh, I'm glad you like it. I came up with it for a trans argument when I realized that sex was made of many variables (estrogen level, testosterone level, breast size, penis/clitoris size (intersexuality makes this one continuous actually), chromosomes, genes, height...) and each of these variables are independent. So you can visualize a person as a point in a hyperdimensional space where each axis is one of these things. And if you do that, then people as a whole are all over the place, because we're so diverse, some women have higher testosterone levels than some men, same with breast size and everything.

So we exist as a sort of cloud of points, where there are two main clouds, but the borders are fuzzy and they overlap significantly.

That's why I called it that, anyway. The mental image calls to mind constellations of stars to me.

One basic truth that needs to be driven home to a lot of people is that there is more variance within each gender than there is variance between the genders.

Hm now I am having problems with that statement because it implies binary genders.

Sex is surprisingly nonbinary, actually. But it'd be slightly more correct I think.

I think this is since I look at it in a straight up health interventions and such. Sex is more defined, even though there are cross overs, when it comes to health problems. But yeah I understand it isn't strictly binary but of the two words it is much more binary.

Basically what I am saying my brain tends to separate sex and gender since sex for me tends to deal with medication and treatment options in my head.

God I am too tired to think this out. Going back to reading on developing epi studies.

Mazzyx

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. Like, "women tend to be more likely than men to have X"? Or like, "women can't get X because they don't have Y"?

I think we might agree though actually. Sex is certainly way closer to binary than gender. I dunno.

I enjoy the fact that my body doesn't fit into this binary by the way. For example, despite my genitals, my breast slider is waaaay to the F side at this point :P

And everything else is even crazier. My estrogen levels are higher than what is considered the norm for women. I am like hyperfeminine to the point of disorder there.

Take that, Patriarchy!

This is how I tend to break sex down in binary. Parts matter with disease, especially cancer, pregnancy and so on.

Though remember that I have a higher risk of DVT because of my estrogen levels, despite my risk of cervical cancer :P

I guess what I'm saying is even here, it can be useful to separate traits because they don't necessarily go together. But yeah, what you said makes sense, especially when dealing with populations.

Working at population levels requires a level of reductionism.

Working with individual patients takes paying attention to details.

That is the break on it really.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Found my stepsister and her boyfriend:
    BigDaddyLilSister.jpg

Edit: Kaylee from Firefly sittin' behind them. PAX is a beautiful place.

Ravenhpltc24 on
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    BigDaddyLilSister.jpg

Pretty sure I saw them, definitely saw the slicer you posted earlier, I think there were two of them.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    TehSloth wrote: »
    BigDaddyLilSister.jpg

Pretty sure I saw them, definitely saw the slicer you posted earlier, I think there were two of them.

The three of them were probably together for most of it, I know Sue likes to trail off and do her own thing but the Little Sister and Big Daddy are inseparable.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Annnd home!

G'evenin' [chat].

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    raven everybody u no is nerd

well done

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Thanatos

Spool had to create the chat thread. Think about that. Think about how hard you failed.
    Given that it's PAX East weekend, someone who was there should probably create the thread.

I am at peace with it.

• Options
    edited March 2013

Mazzyx

Take that, Patriarchy!

Working at population levels requires a level of reductionism.

Working with individual patients takes paying attention to details.

That is the break on it really.

Yeah, unless you have huge amounts of data space (and data) that is best.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    @Shivahn

One of the people at my school actually focuses a lot of her research on trans issues. I think she mostly focuses on SE Asia and migrant pops. But we are kind of fluid with how we function with our studies.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    @Shivahn

One of the people at my school actually focuses a lot of her research on trans issues. I think she mostly focuses on SE Asia and migrant pops. But we are kind of fluid with how we function with our studies.
    One third of my presentation on hormone receptor mutation was on trans issues. It was really fun.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    The principal just told me that I could go home whenever I decided my work was finished, today, since it's spring break.

Considering that my entire task list from my supervising teacher was "Monday - Clean desk", I think I might be leaving a smidge early today

• Options
    Shivahn

That is super cool. Not a lot of research is done on it.

I still don't know what the breast cancer rates for trans women are.

• Options
    Shivahn

One third of my presentation on hormone receptor mutation was on trans issues. It was really fun.

I want to hear about this!

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Wait jake was at the karaoke place?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    What was the name of that 4Eish tabletop RPG that I think is on Kickstarter that maybe @Jacobkosh was talking about?

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Wait jake was at the karaoke place?

I told you all I would be incognito

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    13th age, sarks

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    So I got to play Core Worlds for the first time today! Everyone liked it. I think I would give it the nod over Dominion and Ascension.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    BigDaddyLilSister.jpg

which homestuck characters are these

i dont read that comic

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    13th age, sarks

pls rep0rd d3sc

did u l13k

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    But chicken is da best!

This sentence indicates to me that you have never had ostrich or emu.

There was an emu farm down the road from me growing up. I think of them as pets, not food.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I remember a teacher in high school who couldn't grasp there not being a masculine/feminine role in a relationship and thought there must be that role in gay relationships. I think I wanted to throttle her.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    So I got to play Core Worlds for the first time today! Everyone liked it. I think I would give it the nod over Dominion and Ascension.
    For real?

I would give a lot of games the nod over Ascension. Dominion, though? Goddamn, I'll have to try it.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Rabbit is so delicious. So so delicious.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    I remember a teacher in high school who couldn't grasp there not being a masculine/feminine role in a relationship and thought there must be that role in gay relationships. I think I wanted to throttle her.

The inability of people to think even the tiniest bit about how not everyone is the same never ceases to amaze me.

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    BigDaddyLilSister.jpg

which homestuck characters are these

i dont read that comic

I may not fully understand your jest;

But I am insulted on their behalf.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options

*looks up Core Worlds*

pic1126137_md.jpg

my god, that card design

• Options
    I might be unreasonably obsessed with how cards look in card games.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I had a night of culinary debauchery planned.

But then I had a panic attack.

So now I just want to go lay in bed and try not to do that anymore.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    When a recently graduated person came out of the closet, people talked about him "turning gay." Ah, good ol' southwest GA.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

*looks up Core Worlds*

pic1126137_md.jpg

my god, that card design

That doesn't look like an accountant.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

*looks up Core Worlds*

pic1126137_md.jpg

my god, that card design

It sure looks robotic.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    When a recently graduated person came out of the closet, people talked about him "turning gay." Ah, good ol' southwest GA.

I hear it's contracted from book learnin'.

This discussion has been closed.