Options

[BIOSHOCK INFINITE] Experience digital jingoism March 26th.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    There's only one part of the game that made me jump, but only because it uses cheap 'shock scare' tactic. Otherwise, this game is horrorless.

It's not a horror game...so umm, that's fine? It's a psychological thriller. Even the first BioShock, which had far more gory horror elements, was more a psychological thriller than a slasher flick.

I would call System Shock 2 a psychology thriller.

This game feels more like Indiana Jones with me flying through the air and headshotting people, one handed, with a sniper rifle.

Yes, well, you've made it abundantly clear many times that you think System Shock 2 is the pinnacle, and that BioShock has consistently fallen short...so pardon me if I take your opinion on the matter with a grain of salt...since you've had no bones in making sure all of us know it, multiple times throughout the thread.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I should probably finish SS2 one of these days. I'm pretty sure I played the vast majority of it way back when, but never got around to the end for some reason that now escapes me.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There's only one part of the game that made me jump, but only because it uses cheap 'shock scare' tactic. Otherwise, this game is horrorless.

Yeah that part startled me as well.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    How in the world you get that?

System Shock 2 is clearly a survival horror rpg with FPS game mechanics. Its been marketed as a survival horror game, it it's remembered as a survival horror game.

Bioshock Infinite was never marketed, presented, or hinted at ever been a horror game of any sort. Yes, some of themes this game touch upon are 'horrible', but 'horrible doesn't equal 'horror'.

• Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular

It's not a horror game...so umm, that's fine? It's a psychological thriller. Even the first BioShock, which had far more gory horror elements, was more a psychological thriller than a slasher flick.

This game feels more like Indiana Jones with me flying through the air and headshotting people, one handed, with a sniper rifle.

Yes, well, you've made it abundantly clear many times that you think System Shock 2 is the pinnacle, and that BioShock has consistently fallen short...so pardon me if I take your opinion on the matter with a grain of salt...since you've had no bones in making sure all of us know it, multiple times throughout the thread.

This game was less "horror" than Bioshock IMO. Probably just a result of the atmosphere. I wasn't ever anticipating that there was something waiting for me around the corner to pop out and kill me like I was in Bioshock. Plus the run-down underwater abandoned city with insane people yelling at you and trying to beat you with makeshift weapons contributed more to a horror motif.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I have a question about something that happens the first time you approach the bar in Shanty Town.
    When those two guys tried to mug me, I backed away and it made them turn hostile. Is there a peaceful way out of that situation? They seemed like decent but desperate fellows. Could I have approached them and given them money?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Bioshock Infinite was never marketed, presented, or hinted at ever been a horror game of any sort.

Well, in the first trailer it was. As I said before, its awesome either way.

• Options
    SuperRuper wrote: »

This game was less "horror" than Bioshock IMO. Probably just a result of the atmosphere. I wasn't ever anticipating that there was something waiting for me around the corner to pop out and kill me like I was in Bioshock. Plus the run-down underwater abandoned city with insane people yelling at you and trying to beat you with makeshift weapons contributed more to a horror motif.

The first BioShock was definitely more horror than this. This game wasn't meant to be a horror game (and I question whether the first BioShock was either).

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Bioshock 1 was creepy and atmospheric. So far in B:I I'm skyhooking all over the place going "Murrrrica fuck yeah!"

Akilae on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    I have a question about something that happens the first time you approach the bar in Shanty Town.
    When those two guys tried to mug me, I backed away and it made them turn hostile. Is there a peaceful way out of that situation? They seemed like decent but desperate fellows. Could I have approached them and given them money?
    Apparently, that situation does not happen after the tear opens. It was just people sitting around.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    If somebody wonders which trailer I mean that had horror elements. This one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6_PSJJFqmk

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Melkster wrote: »
    How do Hard and 1999 mode differ? Is 1999 mode just more difficult, or does it do something like Metro 2033's Ranger Hardcore, make everything do more damage, to you and enemies, resources are scarcer, etc?

I too would like to know the answer to this question. I'll probably pick this up tonight or tomorrow... And will probably want to play either Hard or 1999.

1999 changes some basic difficulty things (more hp on monsters, more incoming damage, etc), but also does a few more subtle things, like making ammo more expensive/more scarce. There was talk of weapon specialization as well, but according to some PA'ers, it's not as prominent as Irrational made it sound...you can still use weapons you aren't specialized for.

In the base game, ammo is plentiful and super cheap...if you run out, it's because your spray-and-praying...1999 mode should make it more of a resource you need to manage.

havent had much of a problem ammo wise in 1999 mode. only up to finktown though, just had a major fight that was hard to hide from i ran low on everything, money, ammo, health. i almost perma died.

was fun as hell.

edit: i think what they meant with specs in 1999 was due the fact that upgrades for vigors and guns costs a shit load so it would be in your best interest to focus on a few rather than try and get everything. at least it looks that way to me, i've only upgraded 1 or 2 guns and havent even afforded any vigor upgrades yet. i was trying to save up for crow trap but hah, this goddamn fight cleaned me out.

You can perma die in 1999 mode?

yeah, when you run out of money. you get sent back to the main menu screen and have to continue from the last save point. it only happend to me once near the start.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Akilae wrote: »
    Bioshock 1 was creepy and atmospheric. So far in B:I I'm skyhooking all over the place going "Murrrrica fuck yeah!"

If you don't think there are creepy parts to this game, it's because you're too busy skyhooking around yelling 'Merika to notice them. The creep in this game is mostly subtle (outside of a few very specific places where it's not). It's meant to be a veneer of unease over the top of a Rockwellian picturesque environment. It's supposed to invoke the feeling that something isn't right here, no matter how fun and happy it looks at times.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    This is the part with the horn headed guy when you hit the button right? I was just like OH GODDAMMIT and started firing

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I'm honestly amazed that after the first bit of the game you could still be going "Murrrrrica fuck yeah!".

• Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    I totally wouldn't have minded if they add more of the horror to Infinite. Like being stalked or running from Handymen, Songbird more. A darker atmosphere or something.

That being said. I equally enjoy the game as it stands now.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I personally really enjoy the

'Disney Princess film with a shit ton of killing'

flavor to this game.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

I'm honestly amazed that after the first bit of the game you could still be going "Murrrrrica fuck yeah!".

In my mind, Booker comes from the true America, where bigots are not tolerated. He's in Columbia to liberate all these people from their false American beliefs.

At least, so far. Maybe he'll think it's better to just blow the whole thing to hell...

• Options

In my mind, Booker comes from the true America, where bigots are not tolerated. He's in Columbia to liberate all these people from their false American beliefs.

At least, so far. Maybe he'll think it's better to just blow the whole thing to hell...

Oh ho ho, you're in for so much mind fucking as you progress through the game. Oh oh so much.

I can't wait to track your posts over the next few days as you traverse through the game.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

You might want to read up a bit on what Booker was involved in before the game. He's pretty much the embodiment of not giving the fuck about bigotry.

No I don't.
  • Options

Oh ho ho, you're in for so much mind fucking as you progress through the game. Oh oh so much.

I can't wait to track your posts over the next few days as you traverse through the game.

D:

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite moments in the game comes from Battleship Bay:
    When you see the mother berating her boy for running around and kissing all the girls, but not only that, Irish girls too! If his Father knew...

Made me laugh, especially as there always seems to be one little boy who does that. I knew that boy! (Though I was not that boy, well, a little)

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    the large areas in this game remind me why I hate FPSes with no radar system. Getting flanked from two sides and having tons of enemies jumping up your ass and no way to keep track of them gets really annoying.

This wasn't really a problem in Bioshock 1 and 2 because the areas weren't very large and were mostly corridors so it was easy to keep foes in front or behind you, but the later areas in this game are really annoying when you have enemies swarming all over you.

• Options
    the large areas in this game remind me why I hate FPSes with no radar system. Getting flanked from two sides and having tons of enemies jumping up your ass and no way to keep track of them gets really annoying.

This wasn't really a problem in Bioshock 1 and 2 because the areas weren't very large and were mostly corridors so it was easy to keep foes in front or behind you, but the later areas in this game are really annoying when you have enemies swarming all over you.

Yes. This is the one major mechanical issue I had with the game, how easy it was to end up flanked on all sides, getting hit by enemies you didn't even see run up as you were focusing on a more important target.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Almost like you were one dude against a whole city of crazies!

But for real I can see how this game could get way frustrating on hard/1999.

• Options

I know why it was done, just that you don't realize how used to having a radar/minimap you are until it's not there. I even caught myself quickly darting my eyes to the corner of the screen like I would in Dota/SC2/Name FPS Here, and then going "Oh right, it's not here".

That doesn't make it a bad design decision, just something to adjust to.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

Roger that. I was thinking the same thing last nite as I started the game.

• Options
    Man, I love being flank and surprised and being forced to relocate and find new cover.

Then again, I was born and raised in 90's FPS where it was you vs 100's of pixilated sprites.

• Options
    goddamnit i think i've missed an audio log back near the hall of heros
    theres a place that needed a codebook, and i couldnt find it and forgot about it, i get to finkton and find another code and the code book and i find an audio log behind the clock... was it the same at the hall of heros one? can i go back? goddamnit. (although the shit the plot has just pulled who the fuck knows.

• Options
    edited March 2013

man what, you keep track of them through sound and eyes. i see no reason for a radar system, it would ruin the fun.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

I've got swarmed a few times and it's usually because of overconfidence making me push in too far. There are many times where after a fight I look around the room and find tons of stuff I could have used but didn't see because I stayed by the entrance the whole time. Hard isn't difficult so long as you keep your distance, but sometimes it doesn't always work out. Especially in (late game)
    the memorial with the ghosts, that was the biggest clusterfuck fight. I was focusing too much on her ghosts and I used up all of the medkits, ran out of ammo on my own guns and had to swap to ones that were laying about.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Man, I love being flank and surprised and being forced to relocate and find new cover.

Then again, I was born and raised in 90's FPS where it was you vs 100's of pixilated sprites.

That would be fine if the game obeyed it's own internal logic and did not spawn enemies where no enemy should be able to spawn, but sadly that's never been characteristic of the BIOSHOCK games.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    One thing I'm liking thus far and finding kind of a refreshing inversion is that I never feel like I'm protecting Elizabeth, ever. I feel more like I've let something very dangerous out of a box, and if anything I should consider myself fortunate because I'm being protected BY her.

That's really cool, and a nice, subtle inversion of the usual damsel-in-distress thing.

*e* also yeah haha Booker is Not A Nice Person. Do you even know what Pinkterton agents are known for? If not I ain't even gonna spoil it, Booker says it himself.

That said, you can do your best to not be an ass while playing him. I'm interested to see how my choices are going to pan out.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Fairchild wrote: »

That would be fine if the game obeyed it's own internal logic and did not spawn enemies where no enemy should be able to spawn, but sadly that's never been characteristic of the BIOSHOCK games.

The only time it appeared the game spawned enemies behind me was like once. Every other time the spawning seemed pretty regular.

• Options

I know why it was done, just that you don't realize how used to having a radar/minimap you are until it's not there. I even caught myself quickly darting my eyes to the corner of the screen like I would in Dota/SC2/Name FPS Here, and then going "Oh right, it's not here".

Oh yeah, makes total sense. I actually really dig it. I think in general, the less videogamey shit on the screen, the better. Especially in a game as immersive as this. I turned off the tutorial pop ups (and health bars), though it sort of bit me in the ass as I had no idea how the hook executions worked until I read about them here.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

I've got swarmed a few times and it's usually because of overconfidence making me push in too far. There are many times where after a fight I look around the room and find tons of stuff I could have used but didn't see because I stayed by the entrance the whole time. Hard isn't difficult so long as you keep your distance, but sometimes it doesn't always work out. Especially in (late game)
    the memorial with the ghosts, that was the biggest clusterfuck fight. I was focusing too much on her ghosts and I used up all of the medkits, ran out of ammo on my own guns and had to swap to ones that were laying about.
    Yeah that fight was bullshit, until I realize I can kill all her minions she spawns with a well timed upgraded devil kiss and the appropriate equipment. Then it became a matter of plinking away at her health bar (I really wish bosses/mid-bosses didn't have so much health. The tension quickly melts away once you 'figure' out the fight and forced to slowly plink away at their health).

• Options

Oh yeah, makes total sense. I actually really dig it. I think in general, the less videogamey shit on the screen, the better. Especially in a game as immersive as this. I turned off the tutorial pop ups (and health bars), though it sort of bit me in the ass as I had no idea how the hook executions worked until I read about them here.

Hehe, I'm the opposite...I even turned damage numbers on. Even in games with high immersion, I am all about tactical information.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

Yeah that fight was bullshit, until I realize I can kill all her minions she spawns with a well timed upgraded devil kiss and the appropriate equipment. Then it became a matter of plinking away at her health bar (I really wish bosses/mid-bosses didn't have so much health. The tension quickly melts away once you 'figure' out the fight and forced to slowly plink away at their health).
    I don't think I've ever upgraded devil's kiss. I was mostly using shock jock but then I ran out of salts. It was super tense the whole time, like my first handyman fight, because I didn't figure out the best way forward.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Other interesting thing: Didn't the earlier trailers imply that when Elizabeth
    alters reality with a Tear

She gets sick? I guess they cut that out.
    The original implication seemed to be some kind of Choice mechanic much like the Little Sisters/Big Daddies, in that she COULD make those holes in reality, but doing it too often would be bad for her. I'm glad they took it out, I think.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Other interesting thing: Didn't the earlier trailers imply that when Elizabeth
    alters reality with a Tear

She gets sick? I guess they cut that out.
    The original implication seemed to be some kind of Choice mechanic much like the Little Sisters/Big Daddies, in that she COULD make those holes in reality, but doing it too often would be bad for her. I'm glad they took it out, I think.

Yeah, those powers were also more telekinetic in nature, which her abilities in the final game are pretty much non-offensive.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
This discussion has been closed.