As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How about raise [CHAT] and kill all the poor?

ElendilElendil Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ok if Earth is 1cm in diameter, then Proxima Centauri is 31300 kilometers away.

. . .

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    130329_CRIME_IndieCopsCatfishing.jpg.CROP.article568-large.jpg

Seems legit.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    . . . isn't a good representation of 31300 km.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Honk wrote: »
    Ok if Earth is 1cm in diameter, then Proxima Centauri is 31300 kilometers away.

. . .

Yep.

Space.

What the fuck.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This is all gravity's fault, btw.

If it were stronger maybe we could be closer!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Also, state schools will be holy shit competitive what with their tax monies keeping tuition down

Which will impact private schools, causing some of them to compete with the state uni on price (scholarships etc).

Doubtful. Your shitty schools will just shut down, private schools will become the playground of the rich again and everyone else will have to join in academic thunderdome to get into the increasingly crowded public school system.

I think we'd also likely see a rise in "cheap" for-profit colleges that give you a degree of questionable worth for a fraction of the cost. These will no doubt be held up a beacons of hope to the poor by politicians who don't much give a shit about quality.

Basically, I hope you guys like Florida, because you're gonna be living under our education system soon enough.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    new band shirt

@tav

jYb5Clz.jpg

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    So in bridge design, we have different load classifications such as dead load (non-moving objects), live load (vehicular traffic), wind load, and so on. The distinction is important since you are allowed a much lower factor of safety on dead load than on live load, since the live load is much more unpredictable and has dynamic effects due to it not being 100% stationary.

Anyways

I just had a 15 minute discussion with a co-worker about whether a large group of zombies on a bridge should be considered dead load or live load.

Ahh, Fridays

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Anyway that's enough alternate universe building for today. They're going to prop up student loans for as long as they can.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Things I have found rummaging in my sister's glove compartment looking for a bag of mints that is allegedly in there:

-a packet of "spearmints" that are in fact horse treats made of compressed mint leaves

-a jar of ticks in formaldehyde

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Also, state schools will be holy shit competitive what with their tax monies keeping tuition down

Which will impact private schools, causing some of them to compete with the state uni on price (scholarships etc).

Doubtful. Your shitty schools will just shut down, private schools will become the playground of the rich again and everyone else will have to join in academic thunderdome to get into the increasingly crowded public school system.

I think we'd also likely see a rise in "cheap" for-profit colleges that give you a degree of questionable worth for a fraction of the cost. These will no doubt be held up a beacons of hope to the poor by politicians who don't much give a shit about quality.

Basically, I hope you guys like Florida, because you're gonna be living under our education system soon enough.

Substitute "the rich" for "the upper middle class and rich" and the rest of your post is just facts that are true now.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So in bridge design, we have different load classifications such as dead load (non-moving objects), live load (vehicular traffic), wind load, and so on. The distinction is important since you are allowed a much lower factor of safety on dead load than on live load, since the live load is much more unpredictable and has dynamic effects due to it not being 100% stationary.

Anyways

I just had a 15 minute discussion with a co-worker about whether a large group of zombies on a bridge should be considered dead load or live load.

Ahh, Fridays

clearly undead live load.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Maybe wind load from the decomposing nature of their body facilitating low/high pressure forces of wind?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

Anyways

Ahh, Fridays
    that's dumb

cars aren't alive either, and they're live load

why would zombies be dead load

as long as they're shambling about they're live load

• Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    That awkward moment when in sitting alone and coworker sees me and asks me why I'm sitting alone. :(. It's because I have no friends

• Options
    Nervous about seeing my parents because all they do is criticize me. :(. Sighhh

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The mints intended for humans are in fact in the door pocket.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

Anyways

Ahh, Fridays
    that's dumb

cars aren't alive either, and they're live load

why would zombies be dead load

as long as they're shambling about they're live load

the load amplification factors used for cars would be needlessly excessive for shambling zombies

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Man, I'm internet mad about the Monsanto thing. I'm not afraid of genetically modified food; I love THE FUTURE. I don't trust these asshats, and am never in favor of removing regulation and oversight.

Fucking... god damnit it, US.

• Options
    msmya wrote: »
    That awkward moment when in sitting alone and coworker sees me and asks me why I'm sitting alone. :(. It's because I have no friends

The trick is to eat somewhere where no one else can see you.

Works for me >.>

• Options
    and there are similar amplification factors for walking people just in case they happen to march in step, but i think thats not a real concern with aimlessly shambling zombies

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    Man, I'm internet mad about the Monsanto thing. I'm not afraid of genetically modified food; I love THE FUTURE. I don't trust these asshats, and am never in favor of removing regulation and oversight.

Yeah we all hate Monsanto.

The law isn't necessarily bad. Think of it more like: "don't fuck people's livelihood until we can get to the bottom of this and cause a panic and food shortage, but hippies are going to over-react to this anyways, so fuck them."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    My goddaughter already has her Florida state tuition covered. 14 years ago the state was raising money by offering your babby all tuition and fees for $6000.

I hope they invested that money wisely

• Options
    and there are similar amplification factors for walking people just in case they happen to march in step, but i think thats not a real concern with aimlessly shambling zombies

I take it all bridge designers compensate for the Third Reich making an appearance, eh?

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I'm not really qualified to be a human being.

A couple days ago I did my usual bit where hypothetical social anxiety escalates to fatality... in this case the deal ends with a fatal car crash. Of course a mere second after I conclude the statement, I remember that my roommate had shared the car with his dad when a truck crashed into the driver's side and killed him just five years ago.

The roommate didn't say anything, but he's been really standoffish. Really hoping he's not pissed and feeling really bad that I casually evoked that memory.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    So It Goes wrote: »

Anyways

Ahh, Fridays

clearly undead live load.

DOESN'T EXIST IN THE CODE

YOU CAN'T JUST MAKE STUFF UP SIG THAT'S NOT HOW THIS WORKS

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

The law isn't necessarily bad. Think of it more like: "don't fuck people's livelihood until we can get to the bottom of this and cause a panic and food shortage, but hippies are going to over-react to this anyways, so fuck them."

Unless I'm misreading, it takes the teeth away from the FDA for a year; they can say "yo, you need to test that seed more", but can't bring the courts in to actually file injunctions to stop them from selling the untested products. Which is terrible on it's own merits, not counting whatever crap Monsanto's going to try to sell.

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    Things I've learned playing public Halo matches:

-- a noticeable percentage of the public voice chat is in Spanish, which shouldn't be surprising, but for some reason it is.
    -- there are LOTS of little kids that are more than eager to make friends with anyone else who will talk back to them on there. It's cute, in a wholly frightening, "goddamn just how little attention are these guys getting from their parents anyway?" kinda way.
    -- and overall there is VERY little negative trash talk, like once every 15th match some guy says "you all are a bunch of fucking idiots" right before you lose (they don't say anything prior to that) so really Xbox Live's reputation as a den of negativity is very widely overblown at this point (although I haven't played CoD for years so who knows what the fuck is happening over there)

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    My goddaughter already has her Florida state tuition covered. 14 years ago the state was raising money by offering your babby all tuition and fees for $6000.

Florida. Invest wisely. Did you manage to type that with a straight face?

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013

That sounds like the dumbest program ever (from the state's perspective). Jesus.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Why does the fridge have to be so far from my bed.
    Having to get out of bed to avoid starving is ludicrous.

This must be like living in a 3rd world.

• Options
    Man, work food is so bad :( I'm sad now

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

A couple days ago I did my usual bit where hypothetical social anxiety escalates to fatality... in this case the deal ends with a fatal car crash. Of course a mere second after I conclude the statement, I remember that my roommate had shared the car with his dad when a truck crashed into the driver's side and killed him just five years ago.

The roommate didn't say anything, but he's been really standoffish. Really hoping he's not pissed and feeling really bad that I casually evoked that memory.

Instead of hoping, go talk to him briefly about it.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Considering there's no real evidence GMO food is unsafe to eat, it seems making it so you can't prosecute people for growing it is a good thing?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The thing I find interesting about gravity being a 'weak' force, is gravity is the force that shaped everything. Like, gravity forms stars and planets, directs orbits, which cause the seasons on Earth, and established the pattern of stars in the sky, which was a major influence in human development.

I consider gravity to be the most influential force in the universe in how it affects everything about everything we do.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options

Instead of hoping, go talk to him briefly about it.

The dude does not respond well to "real talk" and I'm concerned that bringing it up overtly would only cause the problem I'm dreading.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i cannot imagine ever being to pay for my kid's tuition but my parents paid for mine so i just shouldn't have kids cuz it wouldn't be fair to them

poo
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

Unless I'm misreading, it takes the teeth away from the FDA for a year; they can say "yo, you need to test that seed more", but can't bring the courts in to actually file injunctions to stop them from selling the untested products. Which is terrible on it's own merits, not counting whatever crap Monsanto's going to try to sell.

It also protects farmers, too, IIRC, so they can keep selling GMO without penalization.

• Options
    Ah fuck it. I'm meeting him for lunch, I'll just tell him my concern. I guess it couldn't hurt.

This discussion has been closed.