Options

How about raise [CHAT] and kill all the poor?

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The thing I find interesting about gravity being a 'weak' force, is gravity is the force that shaped everything. Like, gravity forms stars and planets, directs orbits, which cause the seasons on Earth, and established the pattern of stars in the sky, which was a major influence in human development.

I consider gravity to be the most influential force in the universe in how it affects everything about everything we do.

But like

without the electromagnetic force there wouldn't be stars in the sky! Or anything but superdense black holes, probably.

Redundant! A black hole by definition has infinite density!

No! I am pretty sure a black hole's radius is usually nonzero, and defined by its event horizon!

Well, I believe technically the event horizon is simply the gravitational boundary marking the point of no return, not the radius of the body itself. Such a nit to pick, though.

Yeah, but I think that's the standard definition of the size of a black hole. Though they are often referred to as infinite density or as existing at a "point" in space.

I'm uncomfortable extrapolating anything here though, I just know that the definition could be a couple things.

Well, it's the thing around a singularity, so "pretty much". Nothing's getting out. Except when it evaporates but we're now getting all quantum and shit.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    The thing I find interesting about gravity being a 'weak' force, is gravity is the force that shaped everything. Like, gravity forms stars and planets, directs orbits, which cause the seasons on Earth, and established the pattern of stars in the sky, which was a major influence in human development.

I consider gravity to be the most influential force in the universe in how it affects everything about everything we do.

But like

without the electromagnetic force there wouldn't be stars in the sky! Or anything but superdense black holes, probably.

No! I am pretty sure a black hole's radius is usually nonzero, and defined by its event horizon!

radius of the event horizon is determined by it's mass

But not linearly!

I think.

Fuck. Time to spend a day on Wikipedia remembering physics.

A black hole is defined as an object with zero volume and infinite density. They cannot have a radius. The event horizon is the point at which the gravitational pull is strong enough that light can no longer escape. (I think that's called the Schwartzchild radius, but I'm not sure).

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

But like

Well, I believe technically the event horizon is simply the gravitational boundary marking the point of no return, not the radius of the body itself. Such a nit to pick, though.

Yeah, but I think that's the standard definition of the size of a black hole. Though they are often referred to as infinite density or as existing at a "point" in space.

I'm uncomfortable extrapolating anything here though, I just know that the definition could be a couple things.

Well, it's the thing around a singularity, so "pretty much". Nothing's getting out. Except when it evaporates but we're now getting all quantum and shit.

The difference between quantum mechanics and magic is that one is used in sci fi and the other in fantasy and that's pretty much it.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    hold on to the little dude with the giant weiner. He's a keeper.

@eddy i have found the woman for you

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I tried so hard to fix my sleep, but it's 4:50am and I'm still awake. Fuck this shit.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I should be able to pay for tuition, miscellaneous fees and books with just federal grants and loans if they give me close to the maximum.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    choco if i thought i had hoarder tendencies i'd jump off a bridge

you shouldn't do that, of course

but i'm sayin'

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

But like

But not linearly!

I think.

A black hole is defined as an object with zero volume and infinite density. They cannot have a radius. The event horizon is the point at which the gravitational pull is strong enough that light can no longer escape. (I think that's called the Schwartzchild radius, but I'm not sure).

Schwarzchild radius, yeah. I thought some people used that as the definition? I could be really wrong here, obviously.

Also you can't have zero volume and infinite density! That breaks the density equation!

Though I mean, physicists might not be using our plebian math, so yeah.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular

But like

The difference between quantum mechanics and magic is that one is used in sci fi and the other in fantasy and that's pretty much it.

what if you disguised magic as a mixture of quantum mechanics and nanomachines in a fantasy setting that no one is aware of?

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

But like

nah, quantum is very well defined mathematicially. Exceedingly so. It's just the math involved requires so many years of study to get up to (its nearly all over my head and I did 4 years of abstract math in undergrad) that it does indeed appear squishy or like magic.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    The gravitational lensing effect is super cool. Wikipedia has a great gif demonstrating the effect.

Also, it hurts the brain to really consider an object with mass but no volume.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I will take @spool32's agree as a 'yes'...

basically

the environmentalists don't matter electorally. They are noisy but the senators don't listen to them. It has been decades since a green moral panic shook America

the people who matter are the farmers, who are far better represented and organized. They resent Monsanto because Monsanto wants to make them a captive market. Their own political strength is unassailable, even amongst Democrats. Insofar as the environmentalists serve their own interests, they are willing to party together. But they have a joint interest with Monsanto for joint lobbying for agricultural appropriations, and generic agricultural interests conflict all too easily with environmental interests. This gives the large agricultural companies a lever: they can rely on the farmers to break off en masse by throwing some crumbs whenever environmentalist-farmer opposition becomes too strong. Most of the appropriations might go to the large Ag, but the smaller farmers want them too.

And that's what's going to happen here: the environmentalist groups will make some noise, and it will abruptly collapse when appropriations season comes around.

It's about money, but the wrong flow of money.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

But like

But not linearly!

I think.

Schwarzchild radius, yeah. I thought some people used that as the definition? I could be really wrong here, obviously.

Also you can't have zero volume and infinite density! That breaks the density equation!

the density equation is an approximation. It only "breaks" with black holes because they violate the assumptions that it is approximating.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I tried so hard to fix my sleep, but it's 4:50am and I'm still awake. Fuck this shit.

I haven't not woken up in the middle of the night in like two weeks.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Was listening to NPR on the way to Home Depot, to pick up a 30 amp breaker, because we keep tripping a 20 amp breaker, so the easiest solution for my boss was "Building codes? What building codes?" but I digress.

Listening to NPR, they're talking about Spring Breakers, and the movie critic they're interviewing literally called it "This generation's Easy Rider" with zero sarcasm.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Calling a state legislator "Congressman" is pretty bad pool. Pretending that racially stupid comments are not a big problem for your party is just sad, Spool.

I'd also say that the hippie/science divide in the democratic party is basically non existent. Like, it may be fun for you to watch, but it isn't an idealogical civil war on even a tenth of the scale as the one your party is currently engaged in.

So, to solve the problem of getting drawn into crazy-dick measuring contests it's a pretty simple step: stop whitewashing what's happening in the world and then getting your feelings hurt when someone calls you out on it.

That said, GMOs don't really bug me but I do think it's dumb to remove oversight on them. So bad law, but hardly one that makes me scared of buying some corn.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

But like

But not linearly!

I think.

Black Holes break a few things.

Like your FACE

But yeah, black holes only form because the gravity overcomes the something-something-something barrier (It's the names of the three scientists who described it), which means that the star collapses infinitely. It has zero volume and infinite density.

• Options

But like

nah, quantum is very well defined mathematicially. Exceedingly so. It's just the math involved requires so many years of study to get up to (its nearly all over my head and I did 4 years of abstract math in undergrad) that it does indeed appear squishy or like magic.

Oh yeah, I know. I was mostly poking fun at various fictions which throw the word "quantum" into something as though it's going to give it free will or some random ability they need for the plotline. It's up there with nano and photon and proton in terms of "words we threw on because fuck it we need a fancy sounding word that means magic"

• Options
    also, blackholes are just concentrated high energy matter that you would never see in a non blackhole.

they are not singularities because that's a mathematical representation of a black hole based on a theory that doesn't cover the nature of black holes.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I don't know why I get into these things with Than. Members of the GOP have said some p heinous crap over the last few years, and whenever I bite on his "well your side is worse" lure it ends badly. That is really the main goal for him - remain vigilant, deflect attention, and turn every embarrassment by an ally into an opportunity to trash the enemy.

It's p standard grassroots activist tactics and I ought not keep getting suckered in.

this is a pretty chickenshit comment considering you started this because you're too scared to venture outside of chat into actual threads these days.

All this white knighting must be wearing out your lance arm.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Anyway, Happy Good Friday, droogs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A0-u85aAYg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

But like

But not linearly!

I think.

the density equation is an approximation. It only "breaks" with black holes because they violate the assumptions that it is approximating.

Hmm.

Yeah I wish I'd done a lot more physics in college.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Was listening to NPR on the way to Home Depot, to pick up a 30 amp breaker, because we keep tripping a 20 amp breaker, so the easiest solution for my boss was "Building codes? What building codes?" but I digress.

Listening to NPR, they're talking about Spring Breakers, and the movie critic they're interviewing literally called it "This generation's Easy Rider" with zero sarcasm.

So, a boring, overrated epic about really not that much?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Ugh, my burger at lunch was a charred mess. I bet the cook was high again :(
    This is what drugs do to you kids.
    They make you fucking burn my hamburger.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hey guys remember last time we attacked forumers and chat got closed down? Yeah, we probably shouldn't do that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

I haven't not woken up in the middle of the night in like two weeks.

I've been sleep from around 4-9am til about 2-5pm for like a week now. It's fucking up my ability to get anything done.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

But like

But not linearly!

I think.

Black Holes break a few things.

Like your FACE

But yeah, black holes only form because the gravity overcomes the something-something-something barrier (It's the names of the three scientists who described it), which means that the star collapses infinitely. It has zero volume and infinite density.

Chandrasekhar limit but that's just an observation from empirical data and is not the cause of say galactic black holes.

• Options
    Last night I went to bed at 7pm. I woke up at 7:30am.

I didn't sleep at all the night before, though, so that'll happen.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

So, a boring, overrated epic about really not that much?

You shut your mouth.

Without Easy Rider we wouldn't have the first Venture Brothers season finale.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Dewback. What are you doing.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bowen, the voice of reason.

Dun dun duuuuuuun.

What the fuck is this world coming to.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Easy Rider is fucking amazing and absolutely vital in the history of film

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Considering there's no real evidence GMO food is unsafe to eat, it seems making it so you can't prosecute people for growing it is a good thing?
    democratic coalition wedge problem.

SCIENCE IS GOOD AND TRUE
    BIG BUSINESS IS BAD AND EVIL

How can big business do science? It must be a lie!
    I don't know why I get into these things with Than. Members of the GOP have said some p heinous crap over the last few years, and whenever I bite on his "well your side is worse" lure it ends badly. That is really the main goal for him - remain vigilant, deflect attention, and turn every embarrassment by an ally into an opportunity to trash the enemy.

It's p standard grassroots activist tactics and I ought not keep getting suckered in.
    But remember, everyone, I started it.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    There's a difference between digging through the permaban graveyard so you can shit on people and calling out a lazy argument.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    the US environmentalist movement seems to have recognized when to shut the hell up about Big Science and Immigrants

like, you have to concede that Sierra Club was unified enough to issue a neutral stance rather than tear itself apart (and disintegrate to produce at least one loudly militant anti-brown-people wing)

that's strategic consideration there

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I used to work with the Sierra Club when I did lots of activist stuff

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    And geth remains to be as poor as ever at choosing the maker of the next [chat]!

choose someone who was still posting at the time!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    @Sarksus
    I am bitching about my burnt ass hamburger and waiting for my 1:30 meeting to start. Which is followed by a 2:15ish meeting
    Which is followed by me posting in [chat] until I can leave and stop being sober.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Bowen, the voice of reason.

Dun dun duuuuuuun.

What the fuck is this world coming to.

Bowenism: the hip new religion for cool cat [chat]ters.

This discussion has been closed.