As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bat-Thread: Bruce Wayne, International Hairy Chested Love God of Mystery

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    FAN FAVORITE.

Meaning one fan.

You under-estimate how popular she is.

Has there been a poll of some kind?

She's been in three issues so far and I haven't really heard any excitement about her.

Are you sure you arn't over-estimating Harper Row's popularity?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Harper Row has potential to be a great character. I didn't think Damian would grow on me and I was totally wrong.

I just hope they don't kill off her bro within the first couple issues. But I'm sure that guy is doomed.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    FAN FAVORITE.

Meaning one fan.

She's been in three issues so far and I haven't really heard any excitement about her.

She had a solo series that was doing well for years and the internet went batshit when Beechan wrote her in his Robin run and then his mini-series about her.
    Are you sure you arn't over-estimating Harper Row's popularity?

I'm not sure how popular she is. Isn't it a bit unfair to compare her to a character like Cain who had a popular following for years and a successful solo title?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It would make more sense for Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown to be mentored by Dick Grayson rather than Bruce Wayne in the DCAU.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Last I checked, the Beyond books weren't very good anyway.

• Options
    They're not good but they're getting new writers. Justice League Beyond is getting Christos Gage and this new Batgirl Beyond series is getting Scott Peterson, who co-created Cassandra Cain.

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Harper Row is pretty popular already. She's striking a lot of chords with the sort of fans who liked Cass and Steph. It's still kind of ridiculous to call her the fan favourite but just do a search for her on tumblr and you'll see that opinions of her are super positive.

To me she seems a little bit engineered: Gay brother, alt look, Supernatural references. It's like she's a bullet designed to be shot into the brains of "fandom". She's even inoffensive to the social justice crowd!

I mean I still find her sympathetic and all I'm just saying.

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Plus there's the whole The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo thing.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I don't have anything against Harper Row. She's a new character, which is always a good thing. I was just making fun of the "FAN FAVORITE" thing DC used after she'd been in one issue of a comic.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    FAN FAVORITE.

Meaning one fan.

She had a solo series that was doing well for years and the internet went batshit when Beechan wrote her in his Robin run and then his mini-series about her.

They were talking about Harper Row, not Cassandra Cain.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    They should just get the script for that unproduced Batman Beyond DTV sequel that had old Dick Grayson coming to town with a female apprentice as the new "Nightwing Beyond" who then starts competing against Terry.

Or better yet, they should just make that damn movie.

Neu9DRF.jpg

• Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    That is an awful haircut.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    FAN FAVORITE.

Meaning one fan.

Yeah, and his name is Scott Snyder.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    That is an awful haircut.

Nope

• Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Yep

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    Harper Row is pretty popular already. She's striking a lot of chords with the sort of fans who liked Cass and Steph. It's still kind of ridiculous to call her the fan favourite but just do a search for her on tumblr and you'll see that opinions of her are super positive.

To me she seems a little bit engineered: Gay brother, alt look, Supernatural references. It's like she's a bullet designed to be shot into the brains of "fandom". She's even inoffensive to the social justice crowd!

I mean I still find her sympathetic and all I'm just saying.

Kinda how I feel. I don't hate the character, but she does feel very artificial like she was created by checking off boxes on a PR checklist.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

Not digging the costume. Doesn't seem to vibe with the rest of the Beyond Universe for some reason

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I think it's the cape.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    I think it just seems like a 20th century costume in an era when everyone has sleeker, higher-tech looks.

The cape is part of that, of course.

• Options
    Keith wrote: »
    FAN FAVORITE.

Meaning one fan.

They were talking about Harper Row, not Cassandra Cain.

My mistake.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    That costume looks like it was made up on the spot for the cover. Last minute elbow pads and junk.

• Options
    Is Elegy the only pre-New 52 Batwoman collection (excluding 52)?

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think it looks fine? Especially since I get an old school scrapper vibe from the cover and the costume plus that attitude is a nice contrast to Terry's sleek suit.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    If what they're going for is the Batman Beyond equivalent of Green Arrow or Vigilante, which is to say a throwback hero who relies on outdated tools, then that might be interesting.

• Options
    That raises my hope of it being Cass since she would have the training needed to work without high tech gadgets.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    BMROB_Cv19_ds074353-525x400.jpg?802b89

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    better than Harper.

• Options
    what the hell

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    hahahhahahhahaha

you know what, i'll take it

better than steph amyway

• Options
    Apart from Dial H, this is the first of these covers that has actually surprised me.

• Options
    Yeah that is actually a pretty clever twist

Well played Tomasi

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    So Batman Inc. Is officially ending in July. No creative team shift, just cancelled.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So Batman Inc. Is officially ending in July. No creative team shift, just cancelled.

Wasn't inc Morrisons baby? I'd rather he alone runs it to its conclusion, rather than have another ongoing batbook.

So many bat books, so many!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    I wonder if Inc., which is to say the organization itself, will outlast the title.

The other titles have barely acknowledged that Batman has a network of heroes that spans the globe.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I wonder if Inc., which is to say the organization itself, will outlast the title.

The other titles have barely acknowledged that Batman has a network of heroes that spans the globe.

If it makes money it will, is probably the easy answer.

Personally, I like the idea of a crazy guy in a bat costume, with more money than god, just focusing on one city and barely tolerating a handful of compainions.

Screw this "helping the rest of the world" logic crap!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    It probably won't. Morrison has said he intends to put all of the toys back in the box and leave Bruce an angry, grief and revenge driven loner.

Which is the last thing I would have expected out of Morrison and is siper disappointing.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I would imagine it being very frustrating to have Morrisons talent and imagination in a medium that fears change to the point where no one dies or changes their clothes from one decade to the next.
    If he did leave Batman changed for the better, he knows that his work would be undone in favour of the status quo.
    Why waste time making a kick ass sand castle?

• Options

With the only book that came out of Inc (Batwing) getting a new lead that (AFAIK) has no ties to Batman Inc, I will bet you actual sums of money that it will not.

Blankzilla, do you have a source for that Morrison quote? I had heard he planned to put all the toys back, but I hadn't heard he was going to revert Bruce back to that status.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    They'll relaunch Batman Inc. in a few years with a big name on it.
    I would imagine it being very frustrating to have Morrisons talent and imagination in a medium that fears change to the point where no one dies or changes their clothes from one decade to the next.
    If he did leave Batman changed for the better, he knows that his work would be undone in favour of the status quo.
    Why waste time making a kick ass sand castle?

That's why creators these days keep their best toys for creator owned projects, with exceptions (like Slott).