Options

Bill Murray hates your high tech bull[chat]

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Guys, I'm having trouble with this Excel formula.

*HUFF PUFF*
    Please state the nature of your analytical emergency

I'm trying to prove my debt dark matter theory. Do I need to average all the countries in my formulas, and what time periods is it OK to exclude or compress?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    PAX Badge hilarity:

I've just found out from someone that made it through the queue the following facts:
    - You are limited to a quantity of 4 for each item
    - Once you get through the queue once, your session/queue does not reset, allowing you instant access on next load (timeout unconfirmed). This means that you can potentially spam orders in groups of four after you get in once.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    It wouldn't stop person to person sales, but it would put a huge dent in the hardcore asshole scalpers, if you remove the ability to re-sell them through places like ebay and stubhub.

I disagree. That won't stop hardcore asshole scalpers. They're HARDCORE.
    I remember two years back, shitheads were scalping radiohead tickets that were limited 2 per person, will call only, and you had to immediately enter on pickup.

Motherfuckers were buying 2 tickets, selling 1, and standing on line with the schmuck they were in the process of fleecing. I was actually disappointed no one was beaten and robbed.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    japan wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »

*HUFF PUFF*

It won't justify as much austerity as I want it to.

Out of curiosity is this a throwaway line or a reference to this thing:
    http://www.nextnewdeal.net/rortybomb/researchers-finally-replicated-reinhart-rogoff-and-there-are-serious-problems

it's a reference :rotate:

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh bullshit. I have a 2:00 staff meeting. Dammit.
    Somebody fucked with the recurring calendar thing and now no one gets alerts anymore.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    http://www.timwise.org/2013/04/terrorism-and-privilege-understanding-the-power-of-whiteness/

because we all know how much [chat] likes talking about privilege

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    the R/R paper is bullshit but most of the layman responses don't get it either, which is annoying

oh well

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    But for reals, I assumed R is what most people were on these days. To focus on the error part of the story.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

*HUFF PUFF*

I'm trying to prove my debt dark matter theory. Do I need to average all the countries in my formulas, and what time periods is it OK to exclude or compress?

not being familiar with your work, I cant speculate. I was just offering general excel help.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    It wouldn't stop person to person sales, but it would put a huge dent in the hardcore asshole scalpers, if you remove the ability to re-sell them through places like ebay and stubhub.

I remember two years back, shitheads were scalping radiohead tickets that were limited 2 per person, will call only, and you had to immediately enter on pickup.

Motherfuckers were buying 2 tickets, selling 1, and standing on line with the schmuck they were in the process of fleecing. I was actually disappointed no one was beaten and robbed.

haha i remember that

i wound up just waiting until they went on tour

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Alas, no PAX for me this year.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    the 3d is fine. at the worst it's not strong, it's never strong and bad.

and sometimes oh man. that plus the sound.

Some of the perspective work was incredible to me

Like when
    Dr. Grant is looking up through the trees up at the Jeep the kid's holed up in

I was just like "Huh, it's weird and blurry..." and then I spotted him

• Options

wow that's pretty dedicated

the market price would have to be 2x the listed price though, that's really bad rationing of tickets

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    if i could scalp pax badges i totally would

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    holy fuck shit, 4-day's sold out while I was paying attention to plug.dj.

Welp, guess I'm not going to West after all.

• Options

*HUFF PUFF*

not being familiar with your work, I cant speculate. I was just offering general excel help.

It turns out I was just being a jerk, Deebs. How you like me now?!

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

wow that's pretty dedicated

the market price would have to be 2x the listed price though, that's really bad rationing of tickets

hundred dollar tickets were going for $1500

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

So how would they get around having to provide a name for each ticket, non-transferable? They don't show up with state-issued ID with that name they can fuck off. Allow returns of the tickets less some fee if Bob Smith can't go.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    the R/R paper is bullshit but most of the layman responses don't get it either, which is annoying

oh well

"Economist wrong because olol can't work Excel" is an easier story to sell than pretty much anything involving actual reasoned argument.

• Options
    to clarify on the radiohead thing:

1) they hadn't been to the states since 2003 (nearly a decade) and there was no indication they were going to do a US tour with their new album
    2) it was a special, one-off show in nyc where they were going to play a bunch of new songs and things not on any album
    3) radiohead fans are all late 20's early 30's people now with disposable income

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    the quote I posted earlier was from the preface to a book of Catalan nationalism, illustrating different attitudes to nationhood

couldn't stop my eyes from rolling quite a bit

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    pax

bleh

I wish that had been around when I was at an age to have been able to go. I would have really loved that.

by the time of first pax I had a kid and there was no way I'd be allowed to head on down there for a weekend without bringing the family. which would be torture.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

oh well

They're acting/sounding like political operatives.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Ludious wrote: »
    @Donkey Kong @Cinders
    Final Build Ordered and on its way:
    Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case
    Corsair Professional Series HX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX750)
    Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K
    WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX
    Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT256M4SSD2
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5, DVI, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-way SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2680-KR
    NZXT 140mm Performance Case Fan FN 140RB (Black/White)
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9)
    Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H80i
    Arctic Silver 3.5g High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Cooling Compound AS5-3.5G
    Windows 8 Professional System Builder OEM DVD 64-Bit
    ASUS VS239H-P 23-Inch Full-HD LED IPS Monitor
    Corsair Vengeance K60 Performance FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (CH-9000004-NA)
    AS Rock LGA1155 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Quad CrossFireX and Quad SLI A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 EXTREME6

@Ludious

Nice! You went with my case and cooler. The case is really big (bigger than I thought it would be with the word midtower in the name) but it's fine. No windows, no lights, no high gloss plastic, very solid. I love it. Some tips having just built with a lot of this stuff:

The case comes with two 140mm fans, one set as intake, one set as exhaust, and a little 3-way switch thing behind the front door panel that lets you pick three different fan speeds. My motherboard came with a really nice fan controller, including software where you draw your own cooling profiles (fan speed vs current temp) so I just unhooked all of it and plugged the case fans into my motherboard.

There's an air filter and intake on the underside of the PC for the power supply, so you can mount it with its intake fan facing down. That's fine if the PC will be on a solid floor but a bad idea if it'll be on a carpet, since the little leg nubs aren't very tall and the vent will probably be blocked. I'd mount the PSU with the fan facing the inside of the case. It'll be quieter too.

The liquid cooler says in the manual that you should use it as an intake fan. That would keep the CPU a bit cooler, but it's actually a shitty idea for a few reasons. It's louder, it requires a filter, it'll get dustier. Though the main reason it's a shitty idea is that it's not physically possible to set it up as an intake in that case, at least not in a place where you can conveniently install an air filter. It's fine. Leave the side, bottom, and top vent covers installed. Remove the 140mm fan that they put on the exhaust port and mount the cooler there, oriented as exhaust. It keeps my CPU cool just fine. Use the extra 140mm fan for the front of the case. You can use the one you bought if it's nicer, but the stock ones are pretty good. Having intake in the front only, exhaust in the back only means air flows moves with less turbulence and fewer obstacles. Quieter, cooler, low RPM operation works better.

cooler_install.jpg

Install the whole cooler assembly LAST, ESPECIALLY AFTER YOUR RAM. The case opens on both sides and has a huge cutout in the motherboard tray for installing the cooler backplate last, so you don't have to worry about that. RAM needs to go into certain slots sometimes and installing the cooler might make accessing those slots nearly impossible. You can see there are two sticks hidden under the radiator in my photo. It's pretty tight. It's just four screws to take off to service the RAM but the screws go through fans and into the radiator and I stripped one doing my install, so the fewer times you touch them, the better.

One final tip. When installing the cooler, put on the back plate, then fit the top bracket over the CPU block, then PLUG IN THAT FUCKING FAN CABLE JESUS CHRIST THAT THING. You do not want to attempt to plug that thing in after you've screwed everything down and you have to weave your hand in between shit and do it blindly.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    pax

bleh

I wish that had been around when I was at an age to have been able to go. I would have really loved that.

by the time of first pax I had a kid and there was no way I'd be allowed to head on down there for a weekend without bringing the family. which would be torture.

Have you tried telling your wife you're going out for a pack of cigarettes and then going to PAX instead?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    If you want to scalp badges, Gooby, why don't you?

• Options
    edited April 2013
    pax

bleh

I'm actually excited to bring my little guy once I think he's old enough to handle it.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    If you want to scalp badges, Gooby, why don't you?

because i dont care enough to click refresh a billion times in a feeble attempt to get through

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    pax

bleh

Have you tried telling your wife you're going out for a pack of cigarettes and then going to PAX instead?

that would be a lot of blowback to suffer through in order to go to 1 day at a con

it's not even the expense. I've lived in Seattle since long before there was a PAX. No need for hotel or airfair spending.

also by now it's more than a little too late. I would be down there and having a blast if I was still in my early 20s. But that's 10+ years too late.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Whoop!

One more exam down. This one I was not very confident about, but I think I did well.

Yay!

• Options

So how would they get around having to provide a name for each ticket, non-transferable? They don't show up with state-issued ID with that name they can fuck off. Allow returns of the tickets less some fee if Bob Smith can't go.

That system is beyond fucked. Haven't you ever had something come up?

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    i have this friend who has no concept of her privileges

just got a text

"so the lady i work with was on vaca in london. comes back this monday at 1:30 to the Boston airport where she had a 5 hour lay over. How terrible is that?"

That is a horrible layover. 5 hours is forever in an airport, even in the first class lounge.

You are a weak and soft man.

5 hours is nothing in an airport, even if it is so bare that there's literally nothing to do but have a nap on your luggage.

I would say it is a sign of weakness to accept a situation like that instead of raging against the heavens until the lords of the airlines tremble in their seats on high.

Unless you can actually do that all you're doing is annoying people and stressing yourself. Relax. Not everything is the end of the world. And be thankful you are in first class. You'd get an aneurysm had you been seated with the peasants.

My main fear is an uprising.

?

Learn2ArrestedDevelopment

It's the FIRST episode.

• Options
    deeb fwiw if i had gotten radiohead tix you would have been my second

...for a price, of course.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

*HUFF PUFF*

It won't justify as much austerity as I want it to.

This sounds like a job for Ze Germans!

• Options

*HUFF PUFF*

It turns out I was just being a jerk, Deebs. How you like me now?!

/kicks stone
    Last time I e-run to help you.

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    I am beginning to nurture an intense flame of hatred for this TA. I understand grading work in a second language can't be easy, but put a little fucking effort in God dammit.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    pax

bleh

I'm actually excited to bring my little guy once I think he's old enough to handle it.

going somewhere with a kid, even an older one (my boy is 11), is fun but is a totally different thing than going yourself.

cause then it's about watching them and making sure they have a good time and not being able to do stuff yourself unless they can participate too and such.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

That system is beyond fucked. Haven't you ever had something come up?

That would be the "allow returns" part to deal with that. They could resell returned tickets at the door with the demand that PAX has been showing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I'm just glad they made the ratio in cost between whole-convention passes and single day passes better. It used to be cheaper to get a three day pass than two single day passes. Now a four day pass costs slightly more than three single day passes which is a lot more equitable and guarantees the people buying the four day pass are likely going for all four days.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Gooey wrote: »
    deeb fwiw if i had gotten radiohead tix you would have been my second

...for a price, of course.
    <3
    Triple face + all beers Im sure.

Deebaser on
This discussion has been closed.