Options

Bill Murray hates your high tech bull[chat]

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    It wouldn't stop person to person sales, but it would put a huge dent in the hardcore asshole scalpers, if you remove the ability to re-sell them through places like ebay and stubhub.

I disagree. That won't stop hardcore asshole scalpers. They're HARDCORE.
    I remember two years back, shitheads were scalping radiohead tickets that were limited 2 per person, will call only, and you had to immediately enter on pickup.

Motherfuckers were buying 2 tickets, selling 1, and standing on line with the schmuck they were in the process of fleecing. I was actually disappointed no one was beaten and robbed.

So how would they get around having to provide a name for each ticket, non-transferable? They don't show up with state-issued ID with that name they can fuck off. Allow returns of the tickets less some fee if Bob Smith can't go.

That system is beyond fucked. Haven't you ever had something come up?

That would be the "allow returns" part to deal with that. They could resell returned tickets at the door with the demand that PAX has been showing.

Oh that's cool. Instead of going with the friend / girlfriend I bought the ticket for I could go alone...
    awesome. :(

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I'm just glad they made the ratio in cost between whole-convention passes and single day passes better. It used to be cheaper to get a three day pass than two single day passes. Now a four day pass costs slightly more than three single day passes which is a lot more equitable and guarantees the people buying the four day pass are likely going for all four days.

One thing to consider. When money fails to procure the tickets, potential congoers may resort to . . . other means:

tumblr_mbqk2wkf7i1rc6h4do1_400.jpg

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    An appropriate punishment for scalping tickets would be scalping... scalps

It's so shitty!

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    pax

bleh

I wish that had been around when I was at an age to have been able to go. I would have really loved that.

by the time of first pax I had a kid and there was no way I'd be allowed to head on down there for a weekend without bringing the family. which would be torture.

I'm actually excited to bring my little guy once I think he's old enough to handle it.

going somewhere with a kid, even an older one (my boy is 11), is fun but is a totally different thing than going yourself.

cause then it's about watching them and making sure they have a good time and not being able to do stuff yourself unless they can participate too and such.

True. Being in my 30s myself I don't really care to wait in line and play games and haven't for many years, I just like to go, see the spectacle, attend a few panels, and maybe bunker down in the tabletop building for some downtime. If I went with my kids I think I'll be happy to follow them around from place to place because I won't feel like I'm missing anything.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    It wouldn't stop person to person sales, but it would put a huge dent in the hardcore asshole scalpers, if you remove the ability to re-sell them through places like ebay and stubhub.

I remember two years back, shitheads were scalping radiohead tickets that were limited 2 per person, will call only, and you had to immediately enter on pickup.

Motherfuckers were buying 2 tickets, selling 1, and standing on line with the schmuck they were in the process of fleecing. I was actually disappointed no one was beaten and robbed.

So how would they get around having to provide a name for each ticket, non-transferable? They don't show up with state-issued ID with that name they can fuck off. Allow returns of the tickets less some fee if Bob Smith can't go.

That would be the "allow returns" part to deal with that. They could resell returned tickets at the door with the demand that PAX has been showing.

The could do what we do with comedy. Allow full refund returns, incumbent on the ticket selling to someone else.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    oh noooo all my farts

poo
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    What's with the PAX Passes chat?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I'm just glad they made the ratio in cost between whole-convention passes and single day passes better. It used to be cheaper to get a three day pass than two single day passes. Now a four day pass costs slightly more than three single day passes which is a lot more equitable and guarantees the people buying the four day pass are likely going for all four days.

One thing to consider. When money fails to procure the tickets, potential congoers may resort to . . . other means:

tumblr_mbqk2wkf7i1rc6h4do1_400.jpg

The deadliest item in the picture is the cat.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Elki wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    the R/R paper is bullshit but most of the layman responses don't get it either, which is annoying

oh well

They're acting/sounding like political operatives.

no, not really. I think they just really wanted to believe it, and the derivation is so mindbogglingly simple that almost nobody bothered to doubt whether it was real. the flaw was discovered when people finally got fed up at not being able to replicate it, and R/R cheerfully volunteered all the data and the original spreadsheets used to construct the argument. this doesn't suggest any deliberate manipulation

the thing is, in macro it is normal to observe patterns like this and then make strong statements. this is because (1) there is a strong prior in favour of the absence of patterns, particularly across countries, so any apparently strong pattern at all is surprising (2) moving from strong correlation empirics to weak causative theory is normal since a certain J. M. Keynes legitimized the practice. the term of art is "stylized fact". this is normal practice.

the idea is that it's actually pretty darn difficult to construct plausible stories that line up with all the stylized facts we know of - certainly harder than laymen think it is - so identifying good stylizations does half the work. the inflation-unemployment tradeoff got to drive policy for five decades including today, for instance.

the "ha ha, what a bad way to back up macro policy" thing is grating because almost all macro policy is like that, including the policies you like! where does everyone think favourable multiplier estimates come from?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options

They were live, the four days were gone, and that is all.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Some shitty PAX East knockoff is currently open for registration, apparently.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

PAX Prime just went on sale. 4 day passes sold out in minutes. From a technical point of view, the software / server system being used to sell them is a piece of shit. IE: people can buy their limit then refresh the page and their auth token is still valid so they can buy their limit again etc...

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Dang, already?

I sure hope I'll be able to snag passes for PAX East 2014... Stupid passes, so quick to go... :(

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I love cats, but sometimes, they go to far:

tumblr_maecdrQwMs1rc6h4do1_400.jpg

You only cheapen yourself dressing like that, my feline friend.

SPACE I TOLD YOU NO PICS FROM MY FACEBOOK

• Options
    just got a fart barrage

poo
  • Options
    farty symphony

poo
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I wanna go to PAX East next year... but I also want to have babby...
    Maybe wife will watch babby while I go Pax East

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Dang, already?

I sure hope I'll be able to snag passes for PAX East 2014... Stupid passes, so quick to go... :(

East is a lot bigger, so it should be easier.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    there are more pax east passes and there's less demand so pax east all-days are easier to come by

I would be unhappy if seattle wasn't on the opposite side of the country

• Options

Dang, already?

They've made the pricing much better so it's only worth getting the all-convention pass now if you're really going to go for all of the days.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

PAX Prime just went on sale. 4 day passes sold out in minutes. From a technical point of view, the software / server system being used to sell them is a piece of shit. IE: people can buy their limit then refresh the page and their auth token is still valid so they can buy their limit again etc...

Should be trivial to cancel multiple orders made with the same auth token, right? Or at the very least look into cases of 32 passes shipping to the same address.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »

Dang, already?

East is a lot bigger, so it should be easier.

Oh, good...

I was nervous there for a sec.

I had such a good time this year. :)

• Options
    I wanna go to PAX East next year... but I also want to have babby...
    Maybe wife will watch babby while I go Pax East

Don't! IT'S A TRAP!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Oh that's cool. Instead of going with the friend / girlfriend I bought the ticket for I could go alone...
    awesome. :(

....or you could sell back both. Anything else and you get that Ebay/scalper shit.

Your edge case totally means we should make it so everybody has to deal with giant dicks.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Should be trivial to cancel multiple orders made with the same auth token, right? Or at the very least look into cases of 32 passes shipping to the same address.

should be. But in the past they've been remarkably lax on not enforcing this kind of stuff despite having the means to do so.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Stop undermining the free market, DK!

• Options
  • Options
    Poopin now

poo
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

It's so shitty!

dont be a hater

919UOwT.png
  • Options

Stop undermining the free market, DK!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScN1EGvUfu03P4C2sktLKuUPasEBvf9B5teNkGyWk1i1kMD02-9w

• Options

It's so shitty!

dont be a hater

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Looks like the ramekins we have ain't gonna handle Costco french onion soup

No big deal, I'll just have to make it from scratch from here on out

• Options
    Poopin now

What an age we live in that we may know precisely when one poops.

• Options
    When I joined these forums 9 years ago would I have ever imagined I would be posting on them from my office toilet

poo
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I don't have the child problem. But I enjoy the cons that I still attend pretty much the same way I did in my 20s. I just don't go to so goddamn many. Used to do almost every major anime con on the east coast. Now I'm down to just Dragon*Con and AWA.

• Options
    Looks like the ramekins we have ain't gonna handle Costco french onion soup

No big deal, I'll just have to make it from scratch from here on out

?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    a post so nice i posted it twice

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    IIRC, PAX East 4-day passes were available for a few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.