As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] - Running all your nets and winging all your exes

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Do a lot of you use VASSAL to play board games? I am moving to NC soon and my game group and I were discussion options for playing Eclipse online and just curious what you all think about it.

It's powerful but it's got a really bad case of the open source where the UI is a nightmare of eight separate windows for everything. Even if you're familiar with a game, there's almost no way to figure out how to use it in Vassal short of someone who does know sitting down and walking you through it. I haven't been able to find any online guides either.

I'm hosting a Twilight Imperium game right now using Vassal because you can show the actual board and pieces, but I process about two-thirds of it in Photoshop. It's actually easier to constantly switch back and forth between Vassal and photoshop, importing pictures from one into the other, than it is to purely use Vassal for everything. That should give you an idea on the user friendliness.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    Am I an awful person for not liking Power Grid? I bought it a while ago because of all the praise I'd been hearing, but after playing three games of it, I don't really have any desire to play again. Too mathy, I guess, and too many opportunities for serious AP. I can appreciate the elegance of the design, but the game just isn't that much fun to me.

Not at all!

The theme is bone dry even by euro standards. Success just seemed a matter of who was willing to stare at the board the longest to track the best connections. Super AP prone for such little fun. The last time I was talked into playing people were taking 20 minutes each for the last turn.

Any game where you get the urge to wander off is not a good game. Period.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The great thing about Power Grid is the resource market mechanism. It's well integrated into the rest of the game, and works beautifully because of it. The rest is very average and - as others have mentioned - too mathy to be fun for too long.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I used to play Survive with school kids all the time. They loved it.

Sometimes two girls would team up because they were friends, but that just made them kill everyone else.

Maybe kids aren't as touchy as I think. But I just feel like there are so many opportunities for situations where the only reason for killing a players meeples are: "Because I feel like it" or "because I hate you the most" :P

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    meh, your objective is to have the highest score. If the kids your playing with take things too personally then maybe it isn't right for them, but many can recognize it's just a game.

Like any boardgames, if someone is not having fun (after giving it a fair shot) they should probably not play and do something else they enjoy.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    From the old thread:
    I have bought Archipelago but have to pick it up this weekend, and hopefully play it the weekend after. I am very interested in seeing people's reactions to it, whether they think it's racist (I don't, obviously), or interestingly political, or just a game with meeples.

I've finally managed to get to play it (two games in two days with separate groups), and the reaction in both cases has been "just a game with meeples." The Slavery card came up both times, and nobody seemed to care. I guess we could all be horrible racists or something, though.

But either way, the reaction to the actual game has been... vaguely positive? "Would probably play again" seems to be the common sentiment. I personally was left feeling not much at all. It was a game that I played, that filled some time, but it's not something I'm super-eager to get back to again. Which is actually good, since I thought it was a bit shit after a short 15-min test game.

Did you play very co-operatively or what? And what kind of things does your group like? I am anticipating strong tensions in my group. We keep losing our games of Marvel Legendary because people try brinksmanship too much.

Man I am so slow at thread. Anyway.

Of the two groups, one is the university gaming club (mostly of uni-going age, obviously), and will mostly play anything. Co-op is less common there. but not unheard of, and we bust out the heavier euros with some frequency. I don't think anybody bothered trading the entire game; we mostly just explored and tried to get cattle (since that was our trend card). The rebellion level stayed way down the entire game, so we had very little need to co-operate, until the last turn when it zoomed up most of the track and doomed us. Except for the guy playing Separatist. :rotate:

The other group is mostly in their 30s; I notice co-op stuff is a bit more common there (Shadows over Camelot, BSG, etc). The rebellion rose fairly evenly, so we kept a close eye on which crises we were leaving exposed at the end of the evolution phase, and it never really became an issue. Game ended after four turns, due to population meeting a card requirement, and final scores were something like 11/10/10/7/4.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    From the old thread:
    I have bought Archipelago but have to pick it up this weekend, and hopefully play it the weekend after. I am very interested in seeing people's reactions to it, whether they think it's racist (I don't, obviously), or interestingly political, or just a game with meeples.

I've finally managed to get to play it (two games in two days with separate groups), and the reaction in both cases has been "just a game with meeples." The Slavery card came up both times, and nobody seemed to care. I guess we could all be horrible racists or something, though.

But either way, the reaction to the actual game has been... vaguely positive? "Would probably play again" seems to be the common sentiment. I personally was left feeling not much at all. It was a game that I played, that filled some time, but it's not something I'm super-eager to get back to again. Which is actually good, since I thought it was a bit shit after a short 15-min test game.

Did you play very co-operatively or what? And what kind of things does your group like? I am anticipating strong tensions in my group. We keep losing our games of Marvel Legendary because people try brinksmanship too much.

Man I am so slow at thread. Anyway.

Of the two groups, one is the university gaming club (mostly of uni-going age, obviously), and will mostly play anything. Co-op is less common there. but not unheard of, and we bust out the heavier euros with some frequency. I don't think anybody bothered trading the entire game; we mostly just explored and tried to get cattle (since that was our trend card). The rebellion level stayed way down the entire game, so we had very little need to co-operate, until the last turn when it zoomed up most of the track and doomed us. Except for the guy playing Separatist. :rotate:

The other group is mostly in their 30s; I notice co-op stuff is a bit more common there (Shadows over Camelot, BSG, etc). The rebellion rose fairly evenly, so we kept a close eye on which crises we were leaving exposed at the end of the evolution phase, and it never really became an issue. Game ended after four turns, due to population meeting a card requirement, and final scores were something like 11/10/10/7/4.

I read that the short game is a bit lacking. The review said that he played short out of fear of it sprawling, but found it a bit meh, and then it took off when he played Medium or Long.

I hope my group enjoy it. They are very competitive, like I said, and we like negotiating and bluffing and deduction a lot. So there will be a lot of thought about other people's goals, and a lot of interaction. I hope that your meh was comes from your groups fairly uninteractive.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    I used to play Survive with school kids all the time. They loved it.

Sometimes two girls would team up because they were friends, but that just made them kill everyone else.

Maybe kids aren't as touchy as I think. But I just feel like there are so many opportunities for situations where the only reason for killing a players meeples are: "Because I feel like it" or "because I hate you the most" :P

Kids aren't really dicks, they just attack because it's fun or funny, or good for their score. It's only a game. They compete but don't usually take it very seriously.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    I see the game, but can't seem to join it. Do I need an invite?

I invited the people who responded first, sorry. I'll catch you next time.
    Also, Dixit? Holy shit awesome! How does that work on BaJ? Can you sing or otherwise make noise? Suddenly I'm blahmcblah on BaJ.

Sure, maybe next time.

There's no rule that says we can't have more than one game going...

Setting one up now. Who else wants in?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    It's up. Gave out six invites, so someone's going to be shut out. Act fast, @blahmcblah!

• Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    Trynant wrote: »
    It is now my goal to prevent all these Monopoly goals from being completed, for these dreams require play of Monopoly and I don't support such sadomasochism.

With all the Monopoly talk it reminded me I just picked up a copy of Solorquest (original game) in very good condition for exactly $0. I played this so much as a kid. I still have my board and all the components from when I was a kid but the box was destroyed long ago. Now that I have two of all the game bits and an extra board I am VERY tempted to modify the game and modernize it somehow. A design challenge for the summer. My first thought is to make it a quicker lighter Merchant of Venus.

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Woot. Thanks to my newly acquired game room, my boardgames are no longer left stacked on the floor. I'm so proud.
    dfb4df08-8751-4230-b701-6f4e18744ffc_zpsc5625872.jpg

Hey, where'd you get those shelves?

antherem on
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    It's up. Gave out six invites, so someone's going to be shut out. Act fast, @blahmcblah!

I am loving the clever names.

The unwashed masses must never learn our location!

Tayrun on
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    So, ummm... Mage Knight and Feld? Anyone?

• Options
    Tayrun wrote: »

One slot left. Where are you, @blahmcblah?!

• Options
    I do like Boite a Jeux. Yucata has a much wider selection of games, but the UI of BAJ is much prettier, and the quality of the games is higher on average. Although I do love a game of Thunderstone, El Grande, or Finca or two on Yucata.

I am trying to broaden and reduce my online gaming. More different games, just one of each game at a time. So one game of Ascension instead of 10.

• Options
    More different games, just one of each game at a time. So one game of Ascension instead of 10.

In that case there's no rush for Blah, since you were the only other one invited who hasn't accepted yet. Good to know.

• Options

Played Mage Knight, thought it was fiddly as hell and the rules unintuitive. I would much rather play Eclipse, where every action makes me squee with pleasure at the design skill. Or Descent if I wanted fantasy adventure.

Haven't played Feld much. But he is the king of dryish euros, I hear.

• Options
    More different games, just one of each game at a time. So one game of Ascension instead of 10.

In that case there's no rush for Blah, since you were the only other one invited who hasn't accepted yet. Good to know.

Yeah, I will let him join. Cheers though.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    The Boîte à Jeux interface is workable, but still leaves a bit to be desired. I somehow joined the wrong Dixit game, and I can't find any option to leave it. So I'm going to stumble through a game with strangers, in German, using whatever German I remember from high school, because I don't want to be a dick and ruin their game. Huh.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So Small World for iOS is on sale this weekend. Except I know they are doing Small World 2. I keep trying to figure out if Small World 2 is a free upgrade for Small World, or a different app entirely. The kickstarter campaign had this blurb about it...
    I already own Small World iPad, how can I get Small World 2?

You're in luck. Not only did you only play $ 6.99 for the base game (the price on the app store will increase to $ 9.99 once Small World 2 ships), you will also automatically receive a free upgrade to Small World 2 for iPad, when it ships later this summer. Yes - you will be getting the 3-5 player maps, online gaming, retina support and much more all for free.
    Our newest digital expansion, Be Not Afraid, will be available as an in-app purchase. But you will not have to repurchase Cursed! and Grand Dames if you already own those; they will automatically transfer. And if you wish to receive our Kickstarter Backers digital Bonus Pack, pledge $ 8 at the Tritons level.

Which sounds pretty conclusive, but on further examination seems vague somehow. Does anybody know anything at all about this?

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    JonBob wrote: »
    The Boîte à Jeux interface is workable, but still leaves a bit to be desired. I somehow joined the wrong Dixit game, and I can't find any option to leave it. So I'm going to stumble through a game with strangers, in German, using whatever German I remember from high school, because I don't want to be a dick and ruin their game. Huh.

Forgive me for restating this. You're in a game of Dixit that is online, with strangers, in a language that you're barely conversant in. That is terrifying to me. I'm uncomfortable talking to people I know on the phone.

EDIT: Oh, thanks to you guys I just played my first game of Castles of Burgundy on BaJ with my wife. We liked it. She seems to especially enjoy that kind of puzzlish euro. She also likes the organization and optimizing of your player board. It felt a bit long, though. Maybe it was just getting used to the interface, though.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    A Study in Emerald ends in like 3 and a half hours for anyone who wanted to jump on.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular

Mage Knight is good but complicated. Castles of Burgundy is good, but setup between rounds can be fiddly (then again Mage Knight is fiddly too).

• Options
    A Study in Emerald ends in like 3 and a half hours for anyone who wanted to jump on.

Staring at it, trying to decide.

On the one hand, I'd love it if it's pulled off right. On the other, MW's terrible rulebook, his lack of sufficient playtesting with AFAoS. On the first hand, if I miss the first printing the second won't be until 2015 ..., gah.

• Options
    edited May 2013

On the one hand, I'd love it if it's pulled off right. On the other, MW's terrible rulebook, his lack of sufficient playtesting with AFAoS. On the first hand, if I miss the first printing the second won't be until 2015 ..., gah.

Given the 2nd printing is so far off, you should be able to recoup your costs if you don't like it.

Edit: Especially if you can get yourself to a Neil Gaiman event and get him to sign it. :P

InkSplat on
  • Options

Given the 2nd printing is so far off, you should be able to recoup your costs if you don't like it.

Edit: Especially if you can get yourself to a Neil Gaiman event and get him to sign it. :P

But I'm trying so hard to curb the spending, gahhhh.

• Options
    Actually, it'd totally be awesome to get Neil Gaiman to sign the Sherlock card, and Amanda Palmer to sign the Irene Adler card. I might have to try and make that happen.

Also, I'm torn. Do I increase my pledge for HEX, or do I plan a new CSI order with Legends of Andor & Letters from Whitechapel?

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular

I was sleeping! I have to do that, on occasion. The game title is great. Thanks for the invite, I'm in now.

• Options

I was sleeping! I have to do that, on occasion.

Aha. Your indicator said you were online, so I was confused. :)

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Played Mage Knight, thought it was fiddly as hell and the rules unintuitive. I would much rather play Eclipse, where every action makes me squee with pleasure at the design skill. Or Descent if I wanted fantasy adventure.

Haven't played Feld much. But he is the king of dryish euros, I hear.

It actually ends up VERY intuitive but it takes a good bit of familiarity before it reaches that state.

• Options
    Trying to read the rules for Mage Knight taught me this. I don't think I like games that are mashups. I don't like games that are "Deck building plus dungeon crawling and worker placement!" or "Role selection with area control and card battles!" or other nonsense. I like games that do role selection, and do it better than any other game. I like games that do deck building, and have polished it, and only it, to a blinding shine.

I have a few games that combine two mechanics that I enjoy. But mostly because they have a primary mechanic, and an auxiliary mechanic. Core Worlds has deck building, but it plays second fiddle to the tableau building. After all, you only cycle your deck 3 or 4 times tops. But I don't have a single game that attempts to combine three. It just seems too much like throwing shit together for the sake of it, and frequently the multiple systems buck against each other like a poorly maintained machine. I swear sometimes I even hear gears grinding in my head when I try to play those games.

Then again, I also own and enjoy Runewars so maybe I'm a huge hypocrite.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Since it's been probably a year since I said it last, "Runewars is the only board game I've played that I disliked so much that I actively tried to lose the game to another player so we could stop."

• Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Which reminds me, I want to get Runewars back to the table...

• Options
    Since it's been probably a year since I said it last, "Runewars is the only board game I've played that I disliked so much that I actively tried to lose the game to another player so we could stop."

I'm extremely curious why you hated it so much.

• Options
    Study in Emerald hit its final stretch goal. 90 minutes left, but its getting 12 more cards. Woot.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Trying to read the rules for Mage Knight taught me this. I don't think I like games that are mashups. I don't like games that are "Deck building plus dungeon crawling and worker placement!" or "Role selection with area control and card battles!" or other nonsense. I like games that do role selection, and do it better than any other game. I like games that do deck building, and have polished it, and only it, to a blinding shine.

I have a few games that combine two mechanics that I enjoy. But mostly because they have a primary mechanic, and an auxiliary mechanic. Core Worlds has deck building, but it plays second fiddle to the tableau building. After all, you only cycle your deck 3 or 4 times tops. But I don't have a single game that attempts to combine three. It just seems too much like throwing shit together for the sake of it, and frequently the multiple systems buck against each other like a poorly maintained machine. I swear sometimes I even hear gears grinding in my head when I try to play those games.

I read this, and at first I really resonated with it. I prefer games that are more "stripped down" like El Grande and Dominion. But then, even C&C:A has a huge amount of hand management AND unit placement AND dice rolling. And what about games like Steam? Even if you play by the basic rules (i.e. no auctions), you have an economic system for income, plus tile placement in the the buying and building of tracks, and goods delivery. Maybe you don't like Eclipse, but it does a whole bunch of things; it certainly seems to be a stretch to say that it's primarily a worker placement game.

So what IS a "mashup" game, anyway? There are some games that more-or-less deliberately have a whole RANGE of unrelated mechanics. One good example is Tribune, where you have a pile of mini-mechanics to get cards, like worker placement and blind bidding and drafting, that don't necessarily interrelate in any meaningful way. Is that the idea?

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I'm extremely curious why you hated it so much.

We're talking no expansions, and it's been a long time since I played so forgive me, but there's a few things I completely hated about that game ...

First off, heroes. They're sort of this underpinned minigame that does some stuff sometimes, but maybe not, and you have to cross the board, but maybe not, and you might get dead because someone else decides you should, but maybe not. They felt clunky, and what, sometimes they found stones, maybe? Which was kind of the point of having them? Because otherwise all they tended to do was mess up other heroes?
    Secondly, combat (and diplomacy, and probably any other system that used the cards) was terrible. "Hey, lets have this system with a finite number of successes, and it's SUPER EASY TO KEEP TRACK OF." Seriously? God, why couldn't they have just used dice like reasonable people?
    Thirdly, sooooooo slooooooow ... Build shit, crawl. Also, make sure you can feed stuff. I already don't like Agricola much, but hey, sure, lets put starvation mechanics in a fantasy wargame.
    The order selection stuff was alright. I didn't think it made the game stand out in any way, and it worked as far as forcing staging for movement and such.
    I don't even remember what you did the blind bidding for - some sort of council powers? I was okay with that - I enjoy blind bidding. That was, however, literally the only part of the game I enjoyed.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Study in Emerald hit its final stretch goal. 90 minutes left, but its getting 12 more cards. Woot.

You're welcome. ;-)

(BTW there's a link to the story on Treefrog's website. A good read.)

• Options
    jergarmar wrote: »

I read this, and at first I really resonated with it. I prefer games that are more "stripped down" like El Grande and Dominion. But then, even C&C:A has a huge amount of hand management AND unit placement AND dice rolling. And what about games like Steam? Even if you play by the basic rules (i.e. no auctions), you have an economic system for income, plus tile placement in the the buying and building of tracks, and goods delivery. Maybe you don't like Eclipse, but it does a whole bunch of things; it certainly seems to be a stretch to say that it's primarily a worker placement game.

So what IS a "mashup" game, anyway? There are some games that more-or-less deliberately have a whole RANGE of unrelated mechanics. One good example is Tribune, where you have a pile of mini-mechanics to get cards, like worker placement and blind bidding and drafting, that don't necessarily interrelate in any meaningful way. Is that the idea?

All good points. I guess what rubs me the wrong way is games that feel too much like separate games wrapped together in duct tape. Obviously a lot of games have to combine multiple mechanics. But some games do that better than others, usually be placing certain mechanics subordinate to others. For example, I would say Tribune is primarily a worker placement game. All the other mechanics are subordinate to that, and facilitate it. But that could just be my read on the game.

This discussion has been closed.