Options

PAX Australia 2013 - Cosplay thread

• Options
    gaming_goddessgaming_goddess Cosplay Geek BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Progress shots are looking awesome :D Very excited to see everyone's cosplays.

I've still got so much to do >_< but a friend and are hoping to cosplay the Lutece twins from Bioshock Infinite :D
    coin-lutece_wide-6c9e02f1457fefe97fb51591cb4acb86cadef1e2.jpg

We also both play Pathfinder so are hoping to cosplay our characters from this. I will be an Aberrant Sorcerer and he will be wearing his Cleric. We've had a lot of fun designing these but no one will recognize us :S Will upload photos once we actually start working on stuff :D

Not sure what my third outfit will be? Probably either Para-Medic from MGS3 or Sherry Birkin from RE6 as I'm currently working on both of these for another event and want something simple :)
    paramedic.jpgRE6_Lanshiang_Sherry.jpg

Though all the LoL cosplays are making me so tempted to join and do Nami >_<
    Nami_Splash_0.jpg

gaming_goddess on
  • Options
    SCP 426SCP 426 Registered User new member
    andrew1323 wrote: »
    I'm wondering will it be weird if i cosplay as a anime character for PAX?

I'm going to be doing Sebastian from Black Butler so you wont be alone (I am also doing hunk). :) Who do you plan on cosplaying?

Im planning on cosplaying as Kirito from Sword Art Online

AHMAGAD I'm cosplaying asuna :D

Also... what days are the LoL cosplayers going? Look out for me :D:D:D 65087_10151383572059789_195276673_n.jpg

• Options
    SCP 426SCP 426 Registered User new member
    I'm wondering will it be weird if i cosplay as a anime character for PAX?

I'm going to be doing Sebastian from Black Butler so you wont be alone (I am also doing hunk). :) Who do you plan on cosplaying?

Im planning on cosplaying as Kirito from Sword Art Online

Also... what days are the LoL cosplayers going? Look out for me :D:D:D 65087_10151383572059789_195276673_n.jpg

• Options
    NeenerNeener Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I know the feeling of wanting to join the LoL cosplayers @_@ (maybe next year? how many of you guys are actually from Melbourne? I wanna do either Kayle or Ziggs :s)

Para-medic! :D

Edit: Just gonna continue making these huge ass shoulders, Thanks Riketz D:

968822_530839546952107_1833822575_n.jpg

Neener on
  • Options
    Neener wrote: »
    I know the feeling of wanting to join the LoL cosplayers @_@ (maybe next year? how many of you guys are actually from Melbourne? I wanna do either Kayle or Ziggs :s) Para-medic! :D

I might have to do Para-Medic just from that response :D Ziggs is awesome though - don't give up :D But yeah for me Nami being net year is looking more likely. I am Brisbane based I afraid :)

• Options
    wanderthegamewanderthegame Wander Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hey all,
    We're making a bit of progress with working out our plans for the Wander cosplay competition, at our booth at PAX and we'd love some feedback. Basic idea is that you can enter by having your photo taken at our booth, so we don't have to worry about time clashes and organising a runway. We're going to give prizes for a few categories and give away some prizes from us and our friends at Razer. We're thinking of best non-Wander character and best Wander character. We might break down the prizes per Wander character as well. What other non-game specific categories would be good? Does the format sound suitable?

A few of the Wander team are pretty enthusiastic cosplayers and are going to be judges but we're also looking for other people who would like to judge. Please message me if you're keen. All the Wander team are cosplaying and we've got team members going as all of the Wander characters so there should be some Griffins, Ents, Azertashs and Elves at the booth.

http://www.wanderthegame.com Wander: collaborative , non-combat, non-competitive game for Mac, Linux and Windows. Apply to alpha test.
    http://twitter.com/wandergame
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136830410 Wander on Steam Greenlight
  • Options
    Hey all,
    We're making a bit of progress with working out our plans for the Wander cosplay competition, at our booth at PAX and we'd love some feedback. Basic idea is that you can enter by having your photo taken at our booth, so we don't have to worry about time clashes and organising a runway. We're going to give prizes for a few categories and give away some prizes from us and our friends at Razer. We're thinking of best non-Wander character and best Wander character. We might break down the prizes per Wander character as well. What other non-game specific categories would be good? Does the format sound suitable?

Other categories I've seen are:

Crowd Favourite
    Novice Craftsmanship (Never won major cosplay awards)
    Journeyman Craftsmanship (a couple cosplay awards)
    Master Craftsmanship (holy crap thats so many awards you should be working in this field)
    Best Individual
    Best Group

Not sure if the craftsmanship thing would work in this case because usually that includes people submitting their construction notes and shiz.

• Options
    Hey all,
    We're making a bit of progress with working out our plans for the Wander cosplay competition, at our booth at PAX and we'd love some feedback. Basic idea is that you can enter by having your photo taken at our booth, so we don't have to worry about time clashes and organizing a runway. We're going to give prizes for a few categories and give away some prizes from us and our friends at Razer. We're thinking of best non-Wander character and best Wander character. We might break down the prizes per Wander character as well. What other non-game specific categories would be good? Does the format sound suitable?

I like Neener's suggestions but I agree best construction might be hard as people don't carry construction notes unless pre-warned. I think it might also be worth having the categories by day as well. So something like:

- Best Wander Group
    - Best Wander Individual
    - Best Non-Wander Group
    - Best Non Wander Individual
    - Judges Choice (This is useful if there's say 2 really good entries in a category but want them both to win)
    - Crowd Choice (Is there anyway to display the photos that have been taken so attendee's can vote? Not sure how much of a pain this would be to organize mind - especially with entries being at multiple times of the day :S Though you could just have a monitor and when the photos are taken they are numbered and people write on slips of paper which number they want,based off what they see on the screen? Or this competition can even be run after PAX via website votes?)

Then have each of these for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. As some attendee's will only be able to make one day and it would be cool for them to have daily feedback. But then I guess it depends if your giving prizes out on the day or posting stuff.

Though all in all the options to win prizes and visit the booth at your own leisure for prizes will suit most cosplayer's so all sounds good.

One question though. Would a cosplayer/group be able to enter multiple days if they are wearing multiple outfits or is it one outfit per participant?

• Options
    RiketzRiketz Registered User regular
    Whooa wwhooa whooaah... there are awards and stuff? Do you have to enter the comp to get them or do people just see you walking around... Homg so pumped for pax @_@ -rocks self back and forth-
    More progress btw. Weathering it 2-3 more times and it should be good to go.

ISiLq49.jpg

Also is there a fb group where we can all talk and stuff : O?? Sorta keen to organize a group bar hopping thing.

• Options
    Frosty515Frosty515 Registered User new member
    Im b4 deadpool!

• Options
    vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Riketz wrote: »
    Whooa wwhooa whooaah... there are awards and stuff? Do you have to enter the comp to get them or do people just see you walking around... Homg so pumped for pax @_@ -rocks self back and forth-

Also is there a fb group where we can all talk and stuff : O?? Sorta keen to organize a group bar hopping thing.

Damn Riketz... it just keeps getting better and better

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • Options

>Picture<

Ohhhh maaaaaaaaaan
    I am envious of your armor so far, whats it made of?

I'm sure we can make a PAXAus Cosplay group on facebook. To reduce things, I've gone ahead and made one: http://www.facebook.com/groups/PAXAusCosplay/

:D

• Options
    Shweet :3 Thanks peeps. I made it outa leather.

• Options
    ZipponicusZipponicus Cleric Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    Progress shots are looking awesome :D Very excited to see everyone's cosplays.

I've still got so much to do >_< but a friend and are hoping to cosplay the Lutece twins from Bioshock Infinite :D
    coin-lutece_wide-6c9e02f1457fefe97fb51591cb4acb86cadef1e2.jpg

Yeah Gaming_Goddess and I will be doing the Luteces so that should be awesome fun!

With My cleric I was planning on basing it off this design I found online ages ago
    jH1ysJw.jpg
    But less evil and more devoted-to-a-sun-deity.

As for a third costume, I have no Idea :S Played some LoL but arent sure.
    Suggestions are welcome though!

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I like Neener's suggestions but I agree best construction might be hard as people don't carry construction notes unless pre-warned. I think it might also be worth having the categories by day as well. So something like:

- Best Wander Group
    - Best Wander Individual
    - Best Non-Wander Group
    - Best Non Wander Individual
    - Judges Choice (This is useful if there's say 2 really good entries in a category but want them both to win)
    - Crowd Choice (Is there anyway to display the photos that have been taken so attendee's can vote? Not sure how much of a pain this would be to organize mind - especially with entries being at multiple times of the day :S Though you could just have a monitor and when the photos are taken they are numbered and people write on slips of paper which number they want,based off what they see on the screen? Or this competition can even be run after PAX via website votes?)

Then have each of these for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. As some attendee's will only be able to make one day and it would be cool for them to have daily feedback. But then I guess it depends if your giving prizes out on the day or posting stuff.

Though all in all the options to win prizes and visit the booth at your own leisure for prizes will suit most cosplayer's so all sounds good.

One question though. Would a cosplayer/group be able to enter multiple days if they are wearing multiple outfits or is it one outfit per participant?

I think it makes sense to allow people to enter over multiple days if they cosplay over multiple days. Daily feedback sounds good, and we'd be giving out the prizes from the booth. As far as the crowd choice goes it would be easy for us to post them on Twitter and Facebook and then tally up how many people like/favorite/retweet each. Does that sound good? We won't have spare screens, as we've only got space at the booth for 2 (and oculus rifts) and those will be for people playing Wander.

Riketz: To enter you'll have to come by the Wander booth and have your photo taken. Given the look of what you've got so far a recommend dropping by!

Thanks for the feedback!

wanderthegame on
    http://www.wanderthegame.com Wander: collaborative , non-combat, non-competitive game for Mac, Linux and Windows. Apply to alpha test.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136830410 Wander on Steam Greenlight
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Where is the wander booth going to be :O???!! Ive signed up for both the beta and alpha!

Riketz on
  • Options
    It's in the Australian Indie Pavilion. We're a Melbourne based, indie studio. Looking forward to your feedback on Wander and seeing you at PAX!

• Options
    As far as the crowd choice goes it would be easy for us to post them on Twitter and Facebook and then tally up how many people like/favorite/retweet each.

This sounds like a brilliant idea, means people can vote from anywhere they have internet so I like this idea :) Also saves too much crowding at your booth with people trying to vote :) Glad we can enter multiple days :)

• Options
    andrew1323andrew1323 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Im planning on cosplaying as Kirito from Sword Art Online [/quote]

Also... what days are the LoL cosplayers going? Look out for me :D:D:D [/quote]

Awesome!!!!!!!! i cant wait to see it :)

andrew1323 on
  • Options
    As far as the crowd choice goes it would be easy for us to post them on Twitter and Facebook and then tally up how many people like/favorite/retweet each.

This sounds like a brilliant idea, means people can vote from anywhere they have internet so I like this idea :) Also saves too much crowding at your booth with people trying to vote :) Glad we can enter multiple days :)

I have to admit, we're hoping our booth will be pretty crowded with people wanting to play Wander! ;) I (and the rest of the team) are looking forward to seeing all the amazing cosplayers and seeing what people think of our efforts, both cosplaying and the game.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

Your leatherwork is to die for, but if you do organize a barhop, please PLEASE post about it here on these forums. I'm not on Facebook, but I've participated in the pre PAX pub crawl every single year at Prime and would love to share a cocktail with you all down there.

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »

Your leatherwork is to die for, but if you do organize a barhop, please PLEASE post about it here on these forums. I'm not on Facebook, but I've participated in the pre PAX pub crawl every single year at Prime and would love to share a cocktail with you all down there.

When you comin' down here? :)

• Options
    I know this questions probs been answered like 549305 times but what the go with props? a mate of mine says there are restrictions and stuff. Anyone got a link or can tell me I can bring my 1.5m sword?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I know this questions probs been answered like 549305 times but what the go with props? a mate of mine says there are restrictions and stuff. Anyone got a link or can tell me I can bring my 1.5m sword?
    The restrictions are listed in the first post of the thread. The thread creator is the chief person who administrates the prop/weapon policy for PAX.

• Options
    DaCrawDaCraw Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

From the OP:
    AaronC wrote: »
    Did I miss a cosplay thread somewhere else?

Oh well, here is one for you to post all your ideas, pictures and questions.

PAX ATTENDEE COSTUME WEAPON POLICY
    The official policy is as follows:

A COSTUME WEAPON IS *NOT* PERMITTED AT PAX IF:

- It fires or can fire any sort of projectile. {Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and can not fire)

- It is airsoft, even if deactivated

- It looks like a real firearm at "second glance." (Yes, even if it's a kid's toy.)

- It's sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce such as a Little Sister syringe made of wood.

- Bats are allowed as long as you don't go around hitting people with em. "Bats are ok. Don't be a dick with them."

Please note that, Little Sister syringes that are made of wood are not allowed because you can accidentally poke someone, especially in the Expo hall. If the syringe part is made of rubber instead it would be totally acceptable.

Foam props are perfectly acceptable and are very popular. These are a good choice since they can't hurt, can be made to look very good, and are totally accepted by the convention center and TSA.

PEACE BONDING AT CON FOR COSTUME WEAPONS
    NOTE: This peace bonding information is from PAX Australia 2013.

The method of checking will be be determined closer to the show date. It will be staffed by enforcers from 1 hour prior to the show to the close of Expo Hall. All attendees who have costume weapons will be directed there. The Security Management Team will also be checking the exterior line and the expo line before the doors open to alleviate any delay for people who show up before the show opens.

Anyone who has a costume weapon needs to be verified. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Attendees whose weapons are allowed will have to show that they have been checked and Ok'd. If an attendee's weapon is approved they will receive BOTH a zip tie (color TBA) placed on the weapon and a sticker on the back of their badge with a short description of the item and the name of the Enforcer who checked it. Any Enforcer can verify to if the weapon has been checked and that you have a sticker and zip tie on it. Please note that zip ties will be placed on the prop in an area of your choice. It must remain secure but it can be in an area that can be covered for photos.

If you bring something in that's not allowed or not approved you will be politely required to leave, stow the offending item in your vehicle/hotel room/etc, and then return. If you have any doubt as to whether your prop weapon falls under these restrictions - it probably does. Err on the side of caution!

So whether you can bring it depends on what it's made from. Foam: yes, metal: generally no, wood: only if it's not sharp or pointy. Apart from that, just use common sense.

DaCraw on
    ---
  • Options
    Thanks peeps, Im making a leather larp sword that isn't pointed. Hopefully it shouldn't be a problem!

• Options
    fantanoicefantanoice Quiet, please, it's snack time! Registered User regular
    So now that the semester is drawing to a close I can finally get cracking on this. I'm planning to go as Ema Skye and hopefully I can get it done in time.

tumblr_mnq25vklfY1qd673co1_250.pngtumblr_mnq25vklfY1qd673co2_250.png
  • Options
    FuzzyPredatorFuzzyPredator MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I'm planning to come along as Ezio (Black Edition) for this. Any idea if the hidden blades (the ones that were sold at the shops) would be allowed for this? They are on springs, so I don't see possible to stab anyone with them as they retract...

• Options
    TaikionasTaikionas Registered User new member
    I'm planning to come along as Ezio (Black Edition) for this. Any idea if the hidden blades (the ones that were sold at the shops) would be allowed for this? They are on springs, so I don't see possible to stab anyone with them as they retract...

Are the blades truly a necessity? Can they be made from a softer material (something very bending when pressure is applied, then no need for springs. And carry spares)?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    If they're pointy enough to hurt someone with moderate pressure, they won't be allowed. I do not know the exact construction of said hidden blades, but the rules are not exactly ambiguous.

• Options
    They are an actual replica that was for sale here's the link to what they look like:

http://www.mightyape.com.au/product/Assassins-Creed-Ezio-Auditore-Gauntlet-Replica/20630460/

And I kind of purchased them in hope to complete my cosplay outfit.

When the blade is retracted it is impossible to stab someone as it is hidden and when it is out it is on a spring so goes in/out very easily. The blade itself is made from plastic which bends under pressure. Chances are if I actually *tried* to stab someone I would probably break the blade first before doing any damage.

Just wanted to ask here first before wearing them to the show.

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately I can't tell what the blades are like from the pictures in the link. Based on your description I would think it would be fine. If they can pierce someone then they won't be allowed.

• Options
    Here's a few more images of them:

http://designyoutrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Assassins-creed-hidden-blade-02.jpeg

http://cdn1.stbm.it/gamefinal/gallery/foto/screenshot/a-f/assassins-creed-revelations/lama-celata_original.jpeg?-3600

As I said, when you try to stab someone with them, the blade retracts back into the container, the plastic itself is very malleable and bends easily, so I believe they should be fine, but don't want to risk them being taken away from me...

• Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Hrm. Given that even nerf guns must be disabled under PAX rules, this is a thing that's spring-loaded and can fly out, according to first comment in link. Clearly not working as intended, but still - literal reading of "prohibited if can fire"?

Based on description, it looks like you can disable the spring mechanism and pull it out manually. Less cool.

Kaneski on
  • Options
    Well I can lock both blades (there's a little lock on the bottom) that will not allow them to come out at a push of a button. It's pretty much impossible for the blade to fly out without the whole thing breaking apart, so that's out. To disable the spring mechanism I would need to pull them apart which would involve breaking them, so that's out too.

• Options
    01RzmsF.jpg

Annnd they said I couldn't make swords outa leather :d

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Based on your description I'm 95 percent sure they will be allowed. I am the guy who makes the final decision. However, I can't feel them, touch them, etc, so I won't say with certainty that they will be ok.

If they are weak plastic and bend then it will be fine.

• Options
    vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Annnd they said I couldn't make swords outa leather :d

Damn Riketz, you can surely work that hide :D...

Will hopefully get a chance at PAX to meetup and take a good closer look.

vjreddy12 on
    tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • Options
    ZalchiahZalchiah Mr MelbourneRegistered User new member
    I have been telling myself to make the Blood Dragon Armor from ME2/3.
    Damn I hate being lazy/poor.

I wonder if it's too late to get cracking and join in the fun because looking at some of the previous posts have got me damn excited.

Side thought, I wonder if they'd let me wear it at PAX because I'm also an Enforcer...

• Options
    ZalchiahZalchiah Mr MelbourneRegistered User new member
    edited June 2013
    *removing duplicate post*

Zalchiah on
This discussion has been closed.