As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Real [E3] Thread (Check OP For Streams)

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I was watching the PS4 conference with a buddy, and after all the used game stuff, I just kept thinking to myself "finish them with the price."

Even my non-enthusiast friends were surprised when they heard the price. That was the bombshell. How the hell do you sell the Xbox One going forward?

• Options
    echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    I just hope Sony can afford to sell the PS4 at $399 without posting losses.

I can't see them selling it for a profit, not at $400... They're likely just trying to grab the market share the first year or two and will depend on software sales for profit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Why does Ben Kuchera's E3 blog end right before Sony announced all the used game stuff and the price? He was incredibly critical throughout leading up to that point.

• Options
    Brutal J wrote: »
    I said it would never be $399. Hell, I was certain it'd be the same or more than Xbone.

We just live in a time where price fixing is so common, I just didn't expect Sony to bother to compete so aggressively on the price point because they didn't have to.

Released at the same price point as the Xbone would still have won them the vote of the hardcore gaming audience regardless.

It was a bold stroke and surprised the shit out of me.

There is a disturbing (from my point of view) number of people that just don't really care about MS's DRM. The price though kills it, why be saddled with that shit, and pay more for the privilege?

The number of reasons to own an Xbone is rather small now, and really, with as many FPSs out there, I think a lot of people can live without Halo.

Not to mention I'd imagine a large number of Halo fans are going to flock to Destiny, the same way a large number of Guitar Hero fans followed Harmonix. Destiny was shown front and center a Sony's conference. Casual dudebros aren't morons, they know who bungie is.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Why does Ben Kuchera's E3 blog end right before Sony announced all the used game stuff and the price? He was incredibly critical throughout leading up to that point.
    The live blog? He was having problems getting it working right before the conference. I remember it stopped posting around the time Sony was talking about that stupid TV for gamers thing.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I was watching the PS4 conference with a buddy, and after all the used game stuff, I just kept thinking to myself "finish them with the price."

Even my non-enthusiast friends were surprised when they heard the price. That was the bombshell. How the hell do you sell the Xbox One going forward?

Microsoft's only option now is to either hope that Halo is enough of a draw to keep the XBox fans loyal or go cry into their beer as they realize they need to drastically rethink their god awful, Ubisoft grade DRM schemes.
    echo 78 wrote: »
    I can't see them selling it for a profit, not at $400... They're likely just trying to grab the market share the first year or two and will depend on software sales for profit.
    As long as the game lineup stays solid then judging by the internet wide reaction to the PS4, I highly doubt Sony will have an issue making money this generation.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    There is a disturbing (from my point of view) number of people that just don't really care about MS's DRM. The price though kills it, why be saddled with that shit, and pay more for the privilege?

The number of reasons to own an Xbone is rather small now, and really, with as many FPSs out there, I think a lot of people can live without Halo.

And the true follow-up to the Halo games of the last gen isn't really Halo 5, arguably. It's Destiny, which is on both platforms. So, yeah. Unless MS basically throws out all the dumb shit they've announced so far and cuts the price, Redmond is taking this one right in the feels.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

There was a purported "parts breakdown. . ." of the PS4 by someone. . .and it was a bit under 399. I can not imagine they are going to take a bath on initial units like they did with the PS3.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Dusda wrote: »
    The live blog? He was having problems getting it working right before the conference. I remember it stopped posting around the time Sony was talking about that stupid TV for gamers thing.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/pars-sony-e3-liveblog-lets-see-that-box-lets-hear-that-price-lets-play-thos

Goes all the way until 9:47 when they're talking about games.

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Microsoft's only option now is to either hope that Halo is enough of a draw to keep the XBox fans loyal or go cry into their beer as they realize they need to drastically rethink their god awful, Ubisoft grade DRM schemes.

Although i can't speak for halo players... as a... pretty big halo fan xbox lost me with its DRM, always online and catering to the american market so in my opinion that doesn't look like a hopeful position to take.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    cv0110.jpg

That was fast

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Heroth wrote: »

Although i can't speak for halo players... as a... pretty big halo fan xbox lost me with its DRM, always online and catering to the american market so in my opinion that doesn't look like a hopeful position to take.

How do you feel about Destiny?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Got home from work, and spent the last few hours:

1. Watching the Sony conference

2. Jumping up and down screaming like a little girl over the FFXV and KHIII announcement

3. Spending the next 30 minutes regaining my breath after said girly screaming

4. Screaming some more after Sony's repeated burning of MS with their no DRM, no used game restriction and cheaper price

5. Catching up to all these pages laughing ridiculously at all the gifs and posts

6. Pre-ordereding the PS4 from Amazon

What a terrific E3 this has been

I mean, okay, we didn't get The Last Guardian.

But if Final Fantasy Versus XIII can re-emerge, I have full confidence the boy and his big fluffy griffin friend will come back too.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Oh and you know how they said MGS is exclusive to the XBone?

Well apparently it's not so

there's that too.

The best thing that can happen is that Microsoft gets the message and does its best to turn the tide of opinion by changing their stance on DRM and such things. The worst thing that can happen is they double down on it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

I haven't seen the video, i wasn't watching it live... ahh i'll look for it now and edit my post with ~opinions~

edit: Okay, yeah pretty impressed... i can see why people are refering to it being halo/mass effect/borderlands esque... very cool. Hoping for some Character customization (was one of my fav things from halo: Reach) and by the looks of the different characters this could certainly be already in.

It also looks really good, i quite like its whole aesthetic... i guess my biggest concern is lag, being a lowly Aussie with crap net but :shrug: also hoping most of it can be soloed since i have weird gaming times but thats more a problem for me than a fault with the game.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I can't help but laugh at how deeply ridiculous it is that when MS finally makes their go at being the media box, the all in one device that was always the long term goal for the Xbox...

This happens. I'm not pleased that their showing was so weak, but I don't know that I've ever seen long term plans backfire this obviously and this explosively. It's amazing.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    So Nintendo's first Direct is at 10:00am EST, right?

Think I might be too tired to get up for that one, but where's the first place it's usually archived? Does Nintendo have a specific page for them?

Like with Sony's show I'd like to avoid spoilers once I get around to it.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    ED! wrote: »

There was a purported "parts breakdown. . ." of the PS4 by someone. . .and it was a bit under 399. I can not imagine they are going to take a bath on initial units like they did with the PS3.

That's good news.

I'm wondering if a (potentially) low profit margin was a factor in deciding to require PS+ for multiplayer.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Also want to give a classy shout out to @Renzo for hooking me up with the livestream link as soon as it ended.

I was teased earlier that I had "things to look forward to".

I held onto that hope during that terrible bit with the gargoyle talking about his movies, but I was not disappointed.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, this was a weird set of conferences..

Microsoft does nothing but games, and no goofy kinect demos either... and they still lose.
    EA shows off some neat titles like the third person shooter Plants vs Zombies game, and a Mirror's Edge reboot.
    Ubisoft oddly flounders after last years good showing.
    And Sony knocks it out of the fucking park in just about every way. (Some slight technical glitches, and to be fair, nothing screamed "HOLY SHIT NEXT GEN" to me; just "Wow, that's a lot of poly's")

But the weirdest thing?

Call of Duty was nowhere to be seen.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

there's that too.

The best thing that can happen is that Microsoft gets the message and does its best to turn the tide of opinion by changing their stance on DRM and such things. The worst thing that can happen is they double down on it.

Wait, people thought MGS 5 was going to be Microsoft-Exclusive?

I should be laughing, but I guess Microsoft's "Throw money around" strategy worked some.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Guys.

I think Final Fantasy is going to be good again.

In case none of you were familiar about Versus' original story, it's basically Game of Thrones. All the enemies in the game are rival families trying to take out the main guy's royal house, being the most powerful in the city.

The main bad guy is your uncle. Your childhood sweetheart is also an enemy.

They promised it would be a tragedy. Now it will emerge as a triumph.

• Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

there's that too.

Wait, people thought MGS 5 was going to be Microsoft-Exclusive?

I should be laughing, but I guess Microsoft's "Throw money around" strategy worked some.

They never said that, and I wouldn't have believed it for a second.

I mean heck, they originally announced it as a PS3 game. That's still happening, right?

• Options

I haven't seen the video, i wasn't watching it live... ahh i'll look for it now and edit my post with ~opinions~

I can't believe any fan of halo wouldn't be giddy at the gameplay they showed.

• Options
    According to Jeff Gerstmann, Sony decided on the PS4's price today.

So I may have been right earlier today over the prospect of Sony lowering the price in response to MS' $499.

• Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

They never said that, and I wouldn't have believed it for a second.

Actually, they kind of did and then swiftly retracted.

area on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013

So I may have been right earlier today over the prospect of Sony lowering the price in response to MS' $499.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=doUYH3Uria4#t=54s
    Well that was linked to the 54 second mark but the forums imbed the video which starts it from the beginning.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular

How would anyone even know such a thing? (Just curious.)

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    I said it would never be $399. Hell, I was certain it'd be the same or more than Xbone.

We just live in a time where price fixing is so common, I just didn't expect Sony to bother to compete so aggressively on the price point because they didn't have to.

Released at the same price point as the Xbone would still have won them the vote of the hardcore gaming audience regardless.

It was a bold stroke and surprised the shit out of me.

I can't really disagree.

They pretty much cemented it as the console to have with that price point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    ku-medium.png

The gifs I'm seeing around are already pretty incredible.

That needs to include Jack Tretton at the bottom yelling "Do a flip!".

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    mnihil wrote: »

I could see this being the case... and smart as heck.

yeah, take a hit on release (as most consoles do) but make up for it in the overall console count.

It has probably been said a million times, but a 100 dollar difference between the consoles is paying for a launch title and 2/3's. Kudos Sony, the 599 us dollars debacle has been at least nearly erased in my mind, and i'm a 360 only owner.

Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Originally Sony was talking about bundling their camera with every console, but it looks like today they decided to remove it to drop their costs. Curious to see if MS follows suit later on though I think they want to push Kinect too hard to do it.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    Zephos wrote: »

yeah, take a hit on release (as most consoles do) but make up for it in the overall console count.

It has probably been said a million times, but a 100 dollar difference between the consoles is paying for a launch title and 2/3's. Kudos Sony, the 599 us dollars debacle has been at least nearly erased in my mind, and i'm a 360 only owner.
    Sure it's feasible. It also wouldn't have been the hardest thing in the world to have a Plan B, i.e. to adjust the price and message depending on Microsoft's conference, as it was anything but unpredictable.

I was wondering how Jeff Gerstmann would have the information that Sony did decide the price on the spot. In a world where corporations usually talk a lot without saying anything and certainly don't say more than necessary, if that, about their products, why would Sony say: "Yep, we lowered that price to screw MS just a bit harder." Then again, it's the same company that did that "how to share a game video". Sony employees might just be chuckling incessantly right now.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Think I might be too tired to get up for that one, but where's the first place it's usually archived? Does Nintendo have a specific page for them?

Nintendo puts them up on their official sites, the eShop (both 3DS and Wii U) and their official Youtube channels very shortly after they're done. So just pick your favourite.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Originally Sony was talking about bundling their camera with every console, but it looks like today they decided to remove it to drop their costs. Curious to see if MS follows suit later on though I think they want to push Kinect too hard to do it.

They basically sent their camera out to die so they could win the console war. A fair trade many would say.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular

They've been pushing that it's required to even run your Xbox One. It seems to be an integral part of the system.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2013

Sure it's feasible. It also wouldn't have been the hardest thing in the world to have a Plan B, i.e. to adjust the price and message depending on Microsoft's conference, as it was anything but unpredictable.

I was wondering how Jeff Gerstmann would have the information that Sony did decide the price on the spot. In a world where corporations usually talk a lot without saying anything and certainly don't say more than necessary, if that, about their products, why would Sony say: "Yep, we lowered that price to screw MS just a bit harder." Then again, it's the same company that did that "how to share a game video". Sony employees might just be chuckling incessantly right now.

Jeff G. said he had heard 2nd or 3rd hand that that was the case.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    Seriously though, that "How to share a game" video was pretty awesome....

I own a 360, thats it, I also have invested waaaaay to much time into my gamerscore, including borrowing and renting games....

so when i see things like that, compared to the XbOnes "vision" i have to shake my head.

Really, with the install base, this was microsoft's race to loose. In a lot of ways I feel like they are making right hand turns in the left hand turn lane.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Seriously though, that "How to share a game" video was pretty awesome....

I own a 360, thats it, I also have invested waaaaay to much time into my gamerscore, including borrowing and renting games....

so when i see things like that, compared to the XbOnes "vision" i have to shake my head.

Really, with the install base, this was microsoft's race to loose. In a lot of ways I feel like they are making right hand turns in the left hand turn lane.

Oh, I've got a bunch of time into 'completing' games that I like under MS' achievement system, and almost none in my PS3, despite having a dozen games for it. And I still won't hesitate to go PS4 and just keep playing some 360 games on the side.

Along with really, really misreading the potential consumer backlash on excessively-DRM-heavy consoles, MS also over-emphasized the entertainment apps. You know what, MS? We're all carrying Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant, Pandora, Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter around in our pockets. If your engineers and/or execs think these things are a selling point in the race to lead the next gen, you're hiring dipshits.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Right, not to mention a good number of TV's or even blu-ray players can stream a lot of that stuff anyway.

This discussion has been closed.