Options

[mini-Phalla] Anonymous: Day 6

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    in order to work effectively you might also have to be explicit about who you soft network with

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    though that holds the risk of publicly revealing IP addresses being tied in to a dangerous power we don't know about

oh though proboards have their IP address, so the mafia just have to eliminate THAT ip address from their trace, don't they?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    thinking aloud people don't mind me

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Okay, hopefully the mafia have now created their proboard. And presumably posting on said proboard counts as contacting it, and so that IP should show up in the lists

We need a few people to PM everyone and then trace their IP tonight, that should give us the list of IPs in the game for players. We then start tracing people using $SOME_ASSIGNMENT_ALGORITHM and see if any different IPs show up. Mafia found?

Ideally we would all claim IPs publicly, but that might lead to other issues. We probably have Feds in here that can trace IPs and arrest people based on that

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Do we even know what "contact with" means? It could feasibly be either PMing someone or quoting someone or both or something else...

• Options
    We don't and it was CD'd.

Also while I doubt the answer to this is yes, just in case: Are IP addresses revealed publicly upon a player's death/otherwise removal from the game?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Hmm, best to PM, quote & @ everyone then, just to be sure

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I assumed it ment soft networking.

Also possibly hard networking.

Semi-networking is right out then.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    ObiFett has been working too hard (at winning).

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

Better to have a controlled experiment where only one person PMs everyone, another person quotes everyone, and yet another person @s everyone. We could figure out tonight which of the three count as "contact with"

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    There is a 20% chance langly is mafia. Which means there is an 80% chance he is village. He is probably our best asset this game if he is village. So voting him out day 1 has a better chance of hurting the village than it does the mafia.
    Except on the 20% chance he is mafia we are 100% screwed.

It's not really that hard to just not tell him your access code

It's not like Langly has some sort of turtle mind control power
    That's just what he's making you think.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

Better to have a controlled experiment where only one person PMs everyone, another person quotes everyone, and yet another person @s everyone. We could figure out tonight which of the three count as "contact with"

We definitely want to have multiple. If the mafia knows (which is not unreasonable) then we don't want them to be able to kill off exactly the person they need to and prevent all info

We also want cross-references to make it harder for the mafia to corrupt this list. It's unlikely we get to get the addresses of the dead, but we might get them tonight before they die, so tonight's the important one

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    You know what works I think?
    Everyone trace ip on the person below you in the signup list.
    Everyone then post everyone you were in contact with (preferably right after vote closed is announced).
    Then everyone post their trace results.
    Barring some unforeseen mechanic the only way the mafia dodge this is by not communicating with each other or on a proboard.

• Options
    Everyone then post everyone you were in contact with (preferably right after vote closed is announced).
    Barring some unforeseen mechanic the only way the mafia dodge this is by not communicating with each other or on a proboard.

or "being in contact with one another on the proboard" is lumped under the proboard IP

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

or "being in contact with one another on the proboard" is lumped under the proboard IP

Which still gives us enough to nail them with, since the proboard ip will show up in multiple trace results

• Options
    I sincerely doubt MrT didn't think of that kind of plan when designing the mechanics. No way do we break his game like that in a single day.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular

That requires knowing the IP of the person below you on the list.

• Options

Which still gives us enough to nail them with, since the proboard ip will show up in multiple trace results

Why would the mafia post the results without editing out the proboard ip

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    If you send a message to people, would it show up or does it require both people putting a message in the IM. If I don't reply to someone, does their IP show up on a scan of mine?

• Options
    JPants wrote: »

If everyone cooperates on the plan we will have to share them, yes

• Options
    I sincerely doubt MrT didn't think of that kind of plan when designing the mechanics. No way do we break his game like that in a single day.

I'm willing to try anyways.

• Options
    Retaba wrote: »
    If you send a message to people, would it show up or does it require both people putting a message in the IM. If I don't reply to someone, does their IP show up on a scan of mine?

We don't know. What constitutes "in contact" was CD'd.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

We aren't tracing ourselves, were tracing the guy below ourselves. They can't edit my post.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

This here. The only thing this plan will result in is to expose the IP of every single player.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

We aren't tracing ourselves, were tracing the guy below ourselves. They can't edit my post.

Ah, that makes sense.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options

Are you suggesting everyone post their IP publicly, or just share with the person above you?

• Options

Are you suggesting everyone post their IP publicly, or just share with the person above you?

It's only necessary to share with the person above you, but they will probably all be exposed anyways
    And don't go sharing yet unless we are mostly in agreement

• Options

It's only necessary to share with the person above you, but they will probably all be exposed anyways
    And don't go sharing yet unless we are mostly in agreement

Just making sure I understand your proposal.

• Options
    So what happens when the mafia abandon proboards and start communicating through PMs that don't include all of their members, relaying information to one another as need be?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Like it occurs to me that we're working under this proboard (or full group PM) assumption but there's no rule written that you're obligated to use a proboard.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Then at the very least we damaged their ability to communicate with each other

• Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    I am so lost already.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Then at the very least we damaged their ability to communicate with each other

Yup, a mafia that is working piecemeal is a mafia that has lost one of its advantages. And we will still see a small cluster of people that talk amongst themselves. Unless they want to run a minimal communication game, if so go ahead!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    vertroue wrote: »
    I am so mafia already.

• Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    Ok, someone tell me when day 1 finishes, as for some reason I feel like it should end in 2 hours. Or is it 26 hours?

We Stand Ready
  • Options
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Even if we have extremely quick signups, the game will not start until Monday 7/22, with the first close on Tuesday, 10PM EDT.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So while people mull over Premium's proposal, I have a question for people who are better at this than I am: it feels kinda like altering your password is a waste of an action. Am I crazy to think so?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    The order of actions kinda fucks it, yeah. If someone knows your full access code, you're dead. The only way it's useful is if someone has almost all of your access code, and is going to get the last part tonight, but how would you know that?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    vertroue wrote: »
    I am so lost already.
    I can help. Choose which will be provided:

1) Hugs
    B) Murder

• Options
    edited July 2013
    The order of actions kinda fucks it, yeah. If someone knows your full access code, you're dead. The only way it's useful is if someone has almost all of your access code, and is going to get the last part tonight, but how would you know that?

Also since info gathering stuff is last even if you change it someone has a chance of seeing what you changed it to that same night

premium on