As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Discussion Round 3 - Fight!

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I think the panel is happening right now and there is a new Strider game on the way: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627691

Double Helix is the same people doing KI or am I wrong?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    whoa, that new strider game... i will play that.

edit: eww, looking at the games double helix has made fills me with trepidation. lots of trepidation. front mission evolved, battleship, silent hill homecoming, gi joe rise of cobra...

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Since Capcom is forgoing next gen consoles right now I wonder who else is going to follow. I was ready to give up on the Soulcalibur 5 expansion, since they'd probably be better off working on a new engine for Soulcalibur 6, but since Namco and Capcom are still in bed together, and Namco is also heavily involved in the new Smash Bros. game, maybe this Army of Darkness/Lost Swords thing can still happen (pls not vita pls not vita). Army of Darkness was one thing, but Lost Souls is the most suggestive subtitle possible when most people's #1 complaint about Soulcalibur 5 was that it didn't have the classic characters they wanted.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    whoa, that new strider game... i will play that.

edit: eww, looking at the games double helix has made fills me with trepidation. lots of trepidation. front mission evolved, battleship, silent hill homecoming, gi joe rise of cobra...

My guess is that some stuff is getting outsourced to them. They might not be far from Capcom offices in the USA.

Apparently Capcom Osaka is involved in the project co-developing or something like that.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Hmm, an open world brawler.

Sounds alright.

edit: Oh it's 2D gameplay. That's interesting.

edit: Metroidvania?

reVerse on
  • Options
    the shinies and the hitsparks oh god my eyes

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Mitch Dyer from IGN got this from Capcom:

New guy/girl is like a raver or something?

EDIT: Ha. He tweeted about Strider earlier. :)

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Here's what's been hinted at for the USF4 5th character:

Connected to the SF Universe
    First time to appear in a fighting game

So its not a "guest" character, its not Asura, nor Haggar.

The SF panel starts at 5 PM at SDCC so we'll see if anything new gets revealed. I'm betting the new character stays unannounced, but we might get more details on these supposed new modes and system changes.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    It's so obviously Kevin Striker from Street Fighter 2010. They're even going to keep his original localization name and call him "Ken" in English translations, then give him a red gi that he wears over his armour as an alternate costume.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Maki from Capcom vs SNK 2?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Really hope it's not another shitty Final Fight character. The only ones left are really lame. Unless they're going to use a thug like Two P.

stream
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Soul Calibur 2 HD online just announced.

SC2HDO for EVO2k14

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I bet the new character is Steve.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    At least they've finally set up a new twitter account. Even if Lost Swords turns out to be a mobile game, they've got to be up to something else.

Since they're basing SC2HD on the PS2 version I wonder if they'll go all-in and replicated the horrible slowdown it had on some stages and with some moves.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    B:L wrote: »

SC2HDO for EVO2k14

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/19/soul-calibur-2-hd-online-coming-to-360-ps3-this-fall/

Hwang was in the game as Assassin or something like that, right?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    B:L wrote: »

SC2HDO for EVO2k14

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/19/soul-calibur-2-hd-online-coming-to-360-ps3-this-fall/

Hwang was in the game as Assassin or something like that, right?

Yes, and Berzerker was Rock. Sounds like Heihachi is in, Link is out, and Spawn's a "who knows?"

• Options
    And the real question that Namco probably won't answer any time soon is what they're going to do about balance changes, which should be way easier to do for a 3d fighter.

Specifically, will there be G2 in there to ruin the fun before it starts?

stream
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I welcome the return to overpowered Ivy and all of her stances, before they reworked half of her movelist and removed them. :P

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I'd completely forgotten that it was 10 years. Sometimes a date like that makes you feel old, but I was sure that was way further back.

stream
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Sorry pook I had locals over for casuals. Lets play some other time!

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Is Ultra SF4 coming out next year?

BTW, check: http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2013/07/24/pics-from-mr-and-mrs-street-fighter-sdcc-pageant . The pics are hilarious.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I mentioned this on SE++ but I wonder if Rival Schools vs Persona would work.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    It would totally work if Capcom didn't consider Rival Schools a dead franchise. Though, you'd either have to really dial back the persona "stand" style system or give the Rival School characters their own.

Ultra is scheduled for "early" 2014 - whether that's January or March probably depends on how development goes. I'd actually expect the Japanese Arcade loketests to start up before the end of the year.

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
  • Options
    With the rather blatant pot-splitting and sand-bagging at the VxG MvC3 finals, looks like the tournament community is taking a stand against what it sees an an increasing problem.

From Shoryuken.com

Collusion of any kind with your competitors is considered cheating. If the Tournament Director determines that any competitor is colluding to manipulate the results or intentionally underperforming, the collaborating players may be immediately disqualified. This determination is to be made at the sole discretion of the Tournament Director. Anyone disqualified in this manner forfeits all rights to any titles or prizes they might have otherwise earned for that tournament.

As of this writing, the following tournaments have agreed to institute this rule:

Big E Gaming Events (Northeast Championships, Summer Jam, and Winter Brawl)
    Community Effort Orlando
    Civil War
    East Coast Throwdown
    The Fall Classic
    Final Round
    Level|Up Events (Wednesday Night Fights, and The Runback)
    MTLSF Events
    Northwest Majors
    Shadowloo Showdown
    NorCal Regionals
    Toronto Top Tiers (TORYUKEN, Canadian East Coast Championships)
    Treta Championship
    Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament

Furthermore, Shoryuken and EventHubs have agreed to only cover events that include this rule and enforce it at their tournament. To receive coverage of any kind, the tournament organizers must post official rules for their event, including the rule above.

Presumably this won't really stop pot-splitting, but you're much less likely to see two troll teams face off in Grand Finals.

• Options
    Only 15 years too late, but a worthy effort.

stream
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    So ultra street fighter will be available as just an update right? As well as a physical copy? I've been getting back into fighting games a bit lately.

I had 2 xboxes that I consolidate into one slim. Thanks to GameStops promotions I was able to get 2400 points and a new Xbox for not a lot out of picket. I picked up sf3 and ssf4ae off of Xbox live. And expanding to 250gb drive wasn't a bad deal either.

Are there any night people get on and duke it out? I need to get back into the groove a bit and relearn anything I've lost.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    I think @Snake Ghandi and @GnomeTank have been playing on the xbox.

I'm gonna wait for Ultra.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I play Streets on PC actually.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Aye, I'm on the 360, and I'm not all that good. Feel free to toss me a friend request, I'll play SF whenever.

And yes, Ultra will be available as a $15 download if you've already got SSF4.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    So ultra street fighter will be available as just an update right? As well as a physical copy? I've been getting back into fighting games a bit lately.

I had 2 xboxes that I consolidate into one slim. Thanks to GameStops promotions I was able to get 2400 points and a new Xbox for not a lot out of picket. I picked up sf3 and ssf4ae off of Xbox live. And expanding to 250gb drive wasn't a bad deal either.

Are there any night people get on and duke it out? I need to get back into the groove a bit and relearn anything I've lost.

check out the SE++ fighting game thread, its much more active than this one.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Most (if not essentially all) of PA's fighting community congregates in the SE++ thread. I made this thread specifically to advertise for EVO, but I figured its worth updating on occasion with fighting game news for the users who stick to the OT forums.

I'm also waiting for Ultra to drop before I pick up Street Fighter again. It should be noted that the retail and full download version contain all previous DLC costumes. That's 4 different looks for the SFIV cast and 3 for the characters that came with SSFIV, all with alt colors.

As a follow up on the collusion news, apparently Sp00ky pulled his stream from the SFIVAE Grand Finals when ChrisG and Sanford picked different characters (Yang and Balrog) than they had been playing the whole tournament (Sakura and Sagat). Allegedly ChrisG does have a pocket Yang, but Sanford knows jackshit about Balrog. There's been some blow-up on Twitter about it.

Judge for yourself, 4 hours and 57 minutes in
    http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/438887523

EDIT: Here's the specific match on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKrIra79fw0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    Can they pick different whenever they feel like?

IGL Bala use to pick different teams in KOF.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

They can, but when everyone involved knows that you don't play said character competitively it's hard to say you aren't just screwing around. It'd be different if it was someone who was known to be good with and use multiple characters.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    The distinction (and it's a very grey distinction that's very open to interpretation) is between legit alt-character picking and just clowning around in GF.

Has at least one of the finalists experience with the character they've picked? IE, do they have a "pocket" character? No collusion.
    Is the second character picked a legit counter-pick to the first? No collusion.
    Do we hardly, if ever, see both finalists use these characters, are they just seemingly picked at random and is the level of play not all that great? Collusion.

It takes two to tango, so if one player just wants to dick around and ends up getting destroyed by the other player, well that's a lame GF but it's still legit - just one person being stupid. When both players decide "fuck it" then it's collusion.

I understand why they're using the word collusion to keep things official, and it kind of makes sense when there's pot-splitting involved. But, the correct term should be "not giving a shit." And I understand how guys who play against each other possible almost a hundred times a week would not give a shit about a playing each other again in a weekly local tournament.

The problem lies in the distinction between gaming and competing. If you just want to clown around, feel free to do so, just not in a tournament. Maybe its fun for you, but its disrespectful to everyone else there. And IMHO, its less about the stream monsters (though when they pay for a stream then it's a real concern) and more about guys like Sp00ky who put and money into streaming the event, the tournament organizers who put everything together, and all the other competitors who actually played to win the entire time.

Pro-sports teams don't play their third-stringers during regional finals because it's been a long season, they've got paid and just want to go home. Other e-sports may have some other legit problems, but they don't sandbag the GFs of tournaments that they're not interested in. If the majority of the FGC wants to keep things small, local and casual then there's nothing wrong with that. But don't bitch and moan about small pots and not getting respect when you scare away promoters, sponsors, and viewers.

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular

Its different in kof since lots of players pick up large portions of the cast since team building isn't dependent on synergy as much as marvel and the strategy is similar on many levels (RTSD).

Chris g actually has a decent yang but its obvious they were stirring the pot on purpose last night

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

Typically tournament rules allow you to pick whatever you want, but only to change your selections after you lose matches (with some other restrictions to keep you from using it to waste time or whatever).

That said, it doesn't create a good impression when you go ahead and pick some characters that you've got no history of having experience with.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I dunno.

I was super, super excited when I saw people picked Phoenix Wright in the finals. It was exciting. A super rare character, and both teams had him, so it was essentially a crazy 2 on 2 match with a wild card thrown in. That sounds super entertaining to watch.

On top of that, I had also read numerous reports from people at the event about how poorly run it was, and how it essentially was treated like a vacation on an island and you also played some games. Hell, they even cancelled Smash because no one showed up. And I think the whole Marvel pool was like, 28 people.

I saw no problem with it, but I do understand the intention of the rule. I just hope it doesn't lead to extremely boring matches over and over and over. Half the fun of Evo was watching people switch teams to try and match or psyche out opponents.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow