As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breaking [Chat]

19495969798100»

• Options
    FIDUSPAWNFIDUSPAWN Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I instantly hate this bro thing and require it to go away

So it not in memory of this guy?

Broseph.png

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Sig you are just begging to get bro'd

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    if that's homestuck I don't know anything about that shit

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    FIDUSPAWN wrote: »
    Does a Uni student count as a job?

Only if you're getting funded

Then it does count.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    everyone catch me up on two months go! heart

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    hey sig

long time no see!

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    if that's homestuck I don't know anything about that shit

Correct but he called Bro though.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I got banned for a vagina cheeseburger

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I'm sorry

I cant afford a Ferrari

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @Solomaxwell6 will create the new thread
    @Jacobkosh is backup

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So ITNERDS:

here is my IT problem

I have some scripts made to SSH into server A with a private key and do some stuff. It's for deploying software builds as I release them and for automated mainenance taskts.

The series of commands tend to be structured around

ssh -i serverAPrivateKey.ppk root@serverA "someUnixCommands"

or like

scp -i serverAPrivateKey.ppk myLocalFile.file root@serverA:/some/remote/server/location

now

the people who run server B have decided to make it a PRIVATE IP address within a different server, Server B, with a separate private key

I have no private space on Server B, and thus nowhere to put my private key. It has to stay on my local machine.

I know there are ways to chain SSH commands,

( something like ssh -i serverBPrivateKey.ppk root@serverB -t -t ssh -i serverAPrivateKey.ppk root@serverA "someUnixCommands")

but I can't get them to work. The central problem seems to be that after the ssh goes into server B, it no longer has access to the ppk saved on my local machine.

How can I adapt my script commands to this new horrible reality? Because they're automated I can't set up, like, a PuTTy terminal or anything to create a tunnel (unless you guys know of a way to make this work in a script situation that needs to be somewhat portable and scheduled)

@Irond Will

Ideally, serverB is set up for agent forwarding. If it is, you can use the -A option to forward your private key to a chained ssh session, similar to

ssh -i serverBPrivateKey.ppk serverB -t ssh -A serverA

This assumes that both serverB and serverA have the same public key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, and they both match the private keyfile on your local workstation.

But let's say that agent forwarding is turned off, or that serverA and serverB don't share a public key and you have no write access to the public key file on one or either host.

I'm not sure that the following will work, but I'd give it a try. The <( command ) syntax pipes in the output of a UNIX command as a file:

ssh -i serverBPrivateKey.ppk serverB -t ssh -i <(cat AValidPrivateKeyFile) serverA

I just don't know if that will get passed from one ssh session to the other properly.

There are a couple of last-ditch resorts, but they're both pretty bad:

1) Create an NFS share on serverA, put your private keyfile there, then mount it in your script from serverB. This exposes your private keyfile to the network, so you'd want to use an ACL at the minimum to lock it down. But yeah it's pretty bad, and I wouldn't do it.

2) Just use plaintext username and password, stored in a script on your local machine, to log into serverA. You can use an expect script to this, but that's also pretty bad, for obvious reasons.

@Feral

thanks man. i'll give it a look tomorrow

the two private keys are different, so there's that.

probably i'll just end up demanding that the people running the servers either give me some private space on server B where I can put the private key for server A, or else demand that they give me a single key that is authenticated in both servers.

my other option i guess is to set up a tunnel mapping some local port to server B and then figure out how to ssh via that port. there's probably some way.

gahh fuck this unix world

Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.