As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] The Harrowing draws near

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Man Vi top is great. I've only ever lost Vi top a couple of times, and it's a pretty rewarding feeling to win with her. The only problem is someone else may have to go tanky besides top, because I find it's much more effective to go killy bruiser than tank as Vi top so you can melt face with your volcano punches.

Oh and skin idea, Volcanic Vi.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Have I mentioned solo lanes are lame?

Top lane is worst lane.

Not for wukong :D

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I don't mind top lane too much. Wouldn't say I'm good at it yet (rarely get to play it), but it's an interesting lane in terms of being mostly 1 on 1.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Ravage should never ever be maxed over hate spike on Eve. Ravage has a 9 second CD at all ranks. At level 9 you get 720 base damage(+4.05AP + 4.5 bonus AD) from hate spike spam over the time one ravage is on cooldown, and the dmg from ravage is 230(+1.0 AP + 1.0 bonus AD). Sure you have 120% attack speed steroid compared to 75 or whatever from having only a couple points in ravage, but still. The difference in sustained damage is always going to be in hate spikes favor.

Then of course there's the fact that you can get hits of hate spike in on people from 500 range so you can actually get people with it without having to close to melee range, or after they flash.

The reason elder lizard+liandry's is the core for Eve jungle is that it offers a TON of benefits

1) Only 4900 gold for both items so a jungler can afford them without having to be super fed
    2) 30% bonus damage to monsters plus the burn from elder lizard, plus 100 DPS just from liandry's proc on jungle objectives
    3) When you ult people you're getting the double burn from liandry's on your attacks
    4) 30 flat magic pen from liandry's/sorc shoes so your QER and liandry's are all deceptively strong for a low cost build.

It's the definition of a best bang for your buck build.

For 4900 gold you can either have elder lizard plus liandry's or a triforce and a giant's belt. It's a pretty easy choice.

Where would you put DFG in the buying order, assuming there's ever an opportunity to rack up 1600g at once as a Jungler? Let's say you get a kill bot + tower + dragon, something like that.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I think my problem is that I need to learn to teamfight better as a solo top. Of course the champion matters, but what should be my priority, diving in after the initiation (if I'm not say Vi and initiate on my own) and go straight for their backline, or should I work more on peeling for my back line? I know it's situational, but on average which is a more important goal for a bruiser type? Disruption, or protection?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I think my problem is that I need to learn to teamfight better as a solo top. Of course the champion matters, but what should be my priority, diving in after the initiation (if I'm not say Vi and initiate on my own) and go straight for their backline, or should I work more on peeling for my back line? I know it's situational, but on average which is a more important goal for a bruiser type? Disruption, or protection?

the situational aspect is pretty important

it depends completely on the relative strength of their carries vs your carries

like, don't protect your 1/24/2 caitlin, murder their 32/3/10 varus

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

the situational aspect is pretty important

it depends completely on the relative strength of their carries vs your carries

Yeah, also depends on the hero. Malphite? Your job is to ult the carry/group. Zac? Your goal is disruption and separation. It also depends on relative strength, as if you can 1 shot the carry without getting cc'd, do that and whatever other damage and your team should be able to clean up.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Ravage should never ever be maxed over hate spike on Eve. Ravage has a 9 second CD at all ranks. At level 9 you get 720 base damage(+4.05AP + 4.5 bonus AD) from hate spike spam over the time one ravage is on cooldown, and the dmg from ravage is 230(+1.0 AP + 1.0 bonus AD). Sure you have 120% attack speed steroid compared to 75 or whatever from having only a couple points in ravage, but still. The difference in sustained damage is always going to be in hate spikes favor.

Then of course there's the fact that you can get hits of hate spike in on people from 500 range so you can actually get people with it without having to close to melee range, or after they flash.

The reason elder lizard+liandry's is the core for Eve jungle is that it offers a TON of benefits

1) Only 4900 gold for both items so a jungler can afford them without having to be super fed
    2) 30% bonus damage to monsters plus the burn from elder lizard, plus 100 DPS just from liandry's proc on jungle objectives
    3) When you ult people you're getting the double burn from liandry's on your attacks
    4) 30 flat magic pen from liandry's/sorc shoes so your QER and liandry's are all deceptively strong for a low cost build.

For 4900 gold you can either have elder lizard plus liandry's or a triforce and a giant's belt. It's a pretty easy choice.

Where would you put DFG in the buying order, assuming there's ever an opportunity to rack up 1600g at once as a Jungler? Let's say you get a kill bot + tower + dragon, something like that.

If I'm playing Eve jungle I probably wouldn't ever buy a DFG any more. Now that her ult does %current you have to ult before you DFG which makes you lose some of the amp'ed damage, and I just don't like that. That, and she's just not as easy to 100-0 people with any more so I don't usually build her to fill that niche.

I'd go elder lizard/liandry's, and then just build based on the game. If I was going to go with a NLR item I'd probably go Zhonya's or Deathcap over DFG. Zhonya's if I wanted armor/active or DCap for more damage all around. After the first two core items I'm a big fan of going with stuff like Randuin's though where you can ult engage and then have a 2nd on demand AOE slow to lock people down with, while also having more tankiness.

If you just want to buy a DFG I still wouldn't do it until you had your lizard/liandry's core though.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »

Top lane is worst lane.

Rengar's my personal top laner. If I'm gonna get stuck there I'm gonna have fun going 'lol triple Q' onto some poor bastard.

• Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    I want Blizzard All-stars now :(

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited October 2013

Top lane is worst lane.

All lanes are lame.

We need a 0-lane map.
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    I want Blizzard All-stars now :(

Man, I hear that. Hopefully we'll be getting some news on it in a month or so...

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2013

This is why Wukong is the best.

Your job? Ult as many people as possible after you've used your Q to shred one of them. Then mop up as necessary.

Roz on
  • Options

Top lane is worst lane.

Rengar's my personal top laner. If I'm gonna get stuck there I'm gonna have fun going 'lol triple Q' onto some poor bastard.

lol triple Q is serious bullshit.

I will be glad when that's gone.

• Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular

Top lane is worst lane.

i love this video so much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StE-f3PqSQ8

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Deep and meaningful stealth mechanics going down in that video.

Otherwise known as 'fuck you I'm a lion'

I look forwards to triple Q being gone, then something else about him will be in some way broken. This is the rule of Rengar, he adapts to the hunt by ascending to new levels of bullshit whenever required.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    god i hate shitgar

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Blitzcrank jungle. Make it happen Riot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRvyU-eIg9E

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Stabby Tabby making plays.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    If I'm playing Eve jungle I probably wouldn't ever buy a DFG any more. Now that her ult does %current you have to ult before you DFG which makes you lose some of the amp'ed damage, and I just don't like that. That, and she's just not as easy to 100-0 people with any more so I don't usually build her to fill that niche.
    @Joshmvii Are you sure about this?

DFG improves magic damage by 20%. In most cases, wouldn't the cancel out the loss from the %current health component?

Assume 1000 hp and 0 MR.

15% of 1000 + 1.2*(15/20/25%) of 85% of 1000 = 303/354/405
    15/20/25% of 1000% + 15% of 1000 = 300/350/400

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Huh, apparently Riot's response to the whole "mages outperforming supports at support" thing is "Janna and Lulu can mid, what's the problem?"

Okay then.

they know it's a problem. that's why they're changing season 4 gold income for supports.

Gold income won't change basic design issues with a character archetype, namely them being afraid of them being effective.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Good Aatrox jungle build, quick.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Huh, apparently Riot's response to the whole "mages outperforming supports at support" thing is "Janna and Lulu can mid, what's the problem?"

Okay then.

they know it's a problem. that's why they're changing season 4 gold income for supports.

Gold income won't change basic design issues with a character archetype, namely them being afraid of them being effective.

If true supports have enough gold such that mages replace them entirely (a trend we're already seeing), I'm fairly certain that riot will readjust the supports to compensate.

well, maybe.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Machete + 5 > Tiamat + Boots > Hydra > BotRK.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular

Doran's Blade -> Cutlass + Boots -> Locket -> Randuin's

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular

Either build tanky with a late BotRK, as in golem stone, randuin's/visage, botrk, or just go YOLO like Bethryn described with Hydra/BotRK. Just remember that if you're the only initiate it's probably best to go tankier.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

I'd go elder lizard/liandry's, and then just build based on the game. If I was going to go with a NLR item I'd probably go Zhonya's or Deathcap over DFG. Zhonya's if I wanted armor/active or DCap for more damage all around. After the first two core items I'm a big fan of going with stuff like Randuin's though where you can ult engage and then have a 2nd on demand AOE slow to lock people down with, while also having more tankiness.

If you just want to buy a DFG I still wouldn't do it until you had your lizard/liandry's core though.

I've only bought a DFG on her once, and I was just ridiculously fed. I'd work on a little defense. If they have some AP or a dangerous AP you want to blow up, get an abysal scepter for more magic pen and the resist. If they're all AD or you need some armor zhony'as. Or a DC if you just really want to murder somebody.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Machete + 5 > Tiamat + Boots > Hydra > BotRK.

Cool, thanks

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    I'm like level 23, so I'm still n00bish and still learning a lot. I play Darius and Gangplank okay like... Anyways, I've tried a few rounds of DOTA 2, and while it's beautiful, I just can't seem to get into it. It doesn't feel as If I have the same sort of control over my hero as I do in LoL. LoL matches seem to feel more intense too, while DOTA 2 seems slow, and I didn't really know what was going on.

What tips can you give me to improve my play for someone at my level? Thanks

What are some fun tanks to play? Nautilus looks fun, but I'm not sure, I've never really played as a tank. My Gangplank is not bad though.

Learn more roles; it can be hard to play mid since everyone calls mid every game, but you can practice adc and support; see if you like them.

Rammus is a super-fun tank.

Relatedly, I got stuck jungling in a ranked game for the first time in quite a while, and managed to pull out a win as Rammus.
    What runes should I be running on him? I have a hard time clearing the jungle (first buy spirit of the ancient golem, second buy usually thornmail, then sunfire and other tank items; no idea if these make sense). I assume he does not get the typical jungler movement speed quints because of powerball. Not sure what to replace them with. Gold quints?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    rammus is a champ that has a super high win rate and flat out counters some of the scariest champions in the game (especially bronze and silver, like Master Yi) but nobody plays him

I get movespeed on rammus because ball faster

override367 on
  • Options

Top lane is worst lane.

So what you're telling me

is Sword of the Divine is a must buy on Rengar.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular

Top lane is worst lane.

As enjoyable as this is, all it really does is showcase how bad Rengar really is. Every clip is the same; sub-bronze dude and friends desperately out of position for no reason. No wards, no idea how to react. Go up a league or two and every one of those "plays" starts with Rengar out of position and ends with him dead. =/

Wish they'd rework him, because RAWR :-3

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    he has a rework that's been a bit in limbo, much like the xerath, heimer, olaf (which finally came out and was completely underwhelming), etc. it'll probably be 3.14 at this rate though.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    TannerMS wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    ffffffff

Team if I tell you that my best role is x and my worst role is y and you make me do y, why are you bitching all game that I am not performing all that well?

It depends on what role y is for you, and also where you are in the draft order.

I don't think you would do this, but people who demand a carry lane as 5th pick and say "I can totes win mid my Kass is too good but gosh I just idk how to support"

Yeah.

While extremely annoying, I don't see that particular difference as unreasonable.

Support is not like mid at all, except that most of the champs in mid and support are mages.

Everybody has a responsibility to be competent in all roles. I'm not justifying bullying when you perform your worst role poorly, everyone has bad games in every role.

I disagree completely.

If you are good at one, reliable at another, and can consistently not feed at a third, I think that's pretty much enough. If you can be competent in all roles, sure, but telling me I have a responsibility to be a competent jungler is just going to get me to roll my eyes at you.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

Top lane is worst lane.

As enjoyable as this is, all it really does is showcase how bad Rengar really is. Every clip is the same; sub-bronze dude and friends desperately out of position for no reason. No wards, no idea how to react. Go up a league or two and every one of those "plays" starts with Rengar out of position and ends with him dead. =/

Wish they'd rework him, because RAWR :-3

I've seen plenty of Rengar at D1 and Challenger to know that he can be just as hilarious there as anywhere else.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    When someone uses the term 'proc' what do they mean?

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Deleting squishies is always hilarious

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

To trigger an effect (for example: 'proccing' Sheen's damage amplification)

I'm not sure what 'proc' stands for.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

The activation of an effect. Usually in reference to a random chance of something occuring when you auto attack. I guess it could apply to a non random thing like Wit's End damage? It just has a proc rate of 100%....

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular

Basically means the application of some sort of passive effect on-hit. When you proc your frozen mallet, you attack your opponent and apply the slow effect.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

To trigger an effect (for example: 'proccing' Sheen's damage amplification)

I'm not sure what 'proc' stands for.
    Proc is a common term used primarily in game programming to refer to an event - a "procedure" - triggered under particular circumstances. For example, in WoW, a particular weapon (that hits many times) might have a 10% chance on each hit to apply a special effect, such as poison damage. When WoW users talk about "how often this weapon procs", they are talking about the likelihood of the special effect occurring.

Proc was originally short for "spec_proc" (spec_proc is short for "special procedure") which is a term used by the original programmer of Circle-MUD, Jeremy Elson. It might have been used as well by the original programmers of diku-MUD as well. Special procedures in Circle-MUD are functions that can be assigned to objects, players, and locations in the world such that each time an event occurs, the special procedure function will be invoked. Special procedures were used in Circle-MUD for a wide variety of purposes: Creating room events when a person typed a specific string of text, causing a weapon or piece of armor to perform a magical action, and even causing a MOB (mobile) to do something that it wouldn't normally do.

Special procedures were a way of creating unique experiences that could not be achieved by simply building the dungeon and populating it with monsters. Special procedures breathed life into these worlds by introducing extra coding that enhanced the gamer's experience without changing the underlying structure or function of the code-base. If you ever played a MUD and were walking around in a dungeon and randomly saw the text "You feel as though you are being watched," that was probably a special procedure.

When developers and players were talking about these special procedures they abbreviated the term to "proc". Over time the noun also became a verb, "proced" ("proc'd" or "procced"), which meant that the special procedure was invoked and performed its action. Most often, players were concerned about their weapons and whether or not the weapon would perform its special attack (a proc), and so proc must have started to take on a narrower meaning for MMORPG players who were somewhat more removed from the core combat engine and flat world of MUDs.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
This discussion has been closed.