Options

[Industry Thread] Doom: The Next Generation - Exclusive to the Wii U

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Allforce wrote: »
    Yeah but all those revisions preformed the same functions the original consoles did.

This thing comes with a Mario Kart game where online play is the big feature, and the machine doesn't offer any online functionality.

Well, there are some differences like the NES-101 not offering A/V output, but this is a low-cost, high-profit machine. The audience that's buying this likely doesn't even know that the original Wii hardware is capable of connecting to the internet.

It's 2013 , everything is connected to the Internet.

The apologies for bonehead decisions are staggering from Nintendo fans.

Allforce on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yeah but all those revisions preformed the same functions the original consoles did.

This thing comes with a Mario Kart game where online play is the big feature, and the machine doesn't offer any online functionality.

This is why I think the thing is absolutely silly. I think if it at least had online capabilities and Netflix access, I might buy one solely as a Netflix box...but it can't even do that. It's just superfluous.

but you can get an HD netflix box through a cheap blu ray player, apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, or any other number of things for anywhere from 40-100 bucks. The Wii is a terrible media consumption device, terrible online gaming device, and great home console.

So in truth, this box makes a ton of sense, since it focuses so strongly on its core competency. Releasing it now, however, when they should be doing everything they can to entice gamers to buy the newish platform, is lunacy, in my opinion.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Maybe the Wii Mini release is Nintendo's complete reaction to the Swapnote debacle. Nintendo saw your feedback and realized, hey, yeah, you could see a dong if you went online.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Meh, the Wii Mini just seems like a waste of time and energy. Nintendo really should be cutting the Wii out all together so it doesn't eat into any more WiiU sales. Not sure who was in charge of this decision, but he needs his ears boxed.

Also @Allforce, that isn't necessary. All three companies have their fair share of apologists.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Well, there are some differences like the NES-101 not offering A/V output, but this is a low-cost, high-profit machine. The audience that's buying this likely doesn't even know that the original Wii hardware is capable of connecting to the internet.

The apologies for bonehead decisions is staggering from Nintendo fans.

Nintendo is producing a box that probably costs them something like $10 and they're turning around and selling it for something like 90% profit. (Guessing at all these numbers.)

That doesn't sound like a particularly boneheaded decision to me, but if you want to waggle your "you're a fanboy" stick at me some more, feel free to do so.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I think putting out a box in 2013 with no connectivity at all is likely to earn more bad will than the extra profit it will make

everything has connectivity these days, adding it costs next to nothing

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Wii Mini confirmed for North America release mid-November

People not buying your new console? People confusing the new console with the old console? Release a new version of the old console for a third the price of the new one! Fucking brilliant!

You're acting like this is some new thing. Nintendo has a history of releasing new models of old hardware at inexpensive prices once the successor consoles hit the marketplace.

320px-NES-101-Console-Set.jpg320px-SNES-Model-2-Set.jpg

What the heck are those things? I've literally never seen those before.

Were they US only?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

Nintendo is producing a box that probably costs them something like $10 and they're turning around and selling it for something like 90% profit. (Guessing at all these numbers.)

That doesn't sound like a particularly boneheaded decision to me, but if you want to waggle your "you're a fanboy" stick at me some more, feel free to do so.

Good lord....

So you pull numbers put of thin air, and then validate your original point by using said numbers. Fantastic.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Maz- wrote: »

People not buying your new console? People confusing the new console with the old console? Release a new version of the old console for a third the price of the new one! Fucking brilliant!

You're acting like this is some new thing. Nintendo has a history of releasing new models of old hardware at inexpensive prices once the successor consoles hit the marketplace.

Were they US only?

The NES-101 was released in the US and in Japan as the "AV Famicom" Ironically the major selling point of the AV Famicom in Japan was that it sported composite video out, something that the original Famicom didn't offer. Nintendo did the opposite in the US, stripping the NES-101 of composite out while the NES had it for years.

The SNS-101 was released in US and in Japan as the "Super Famicom Jr."

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Were they US only?

According to wiki:

"It was released in North America on October 20, 1997 and retailed for US$99.95."

So...yes?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Those are some awesome guesses. What exactly are they rooted in? O_o

• Options
    edited November 2013

Good lord....

So you pull numbers put of thin air, and then validate your original point by using said numbers. Fantastic.

Awesome! Can you find me a way for me to find out the cost of the parts in the Wii Mini?
    Henroid wrote: »

The logical conclusion that the only reason the Wii Mini exists is to make Nintendo a few more dollars out of 7-year old technology.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Were they US only?

The NES-101 was released in the US and in Japan as the "AV Famicom" Ironically the major selling point of the AV Famicom in Japan was that it sported composite video out, something that the original Famicom didn't offer. Nintendo did the opposite in the US, stripping the NES-101 of composite out while the NES had it for years.

Interesting. I guess they weren't all that successful though?
    The 64 DD wasn't exactly a huge hit either. Seems like Nintendo only figured out the whole hardware revision thingy with the GBA.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

Good lord....

Awesome! Can you find me a way for me to find out the cost of the parts in the Wii Mini?

The logical conclusion that the only reason the Wii Mini exists is to make Nintendo a few more dollars out of 7-year old technology.

I'm pretty sure it's actually 12 year old technology. :p

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

This is why I think the thing is absolutely silly. I think if it at least had online capabilities and Netflix access, I might buy one solely as a Netflix box...but it can't even do that. It's just superfluous.

but you can get an HD netflix box through a cheap blu ray player, apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, or any other number of things for anywhere from 40-100 bucks. The Wii is a terrible media consumption device, terrible online gaming device, and great home console.

So in truth, this box makes a ton of sense, since it focuses so strongly on its core competency. Releasing it now, however, when they should be doing everything they can to entice gamers to buy the newish platform, is lunacy, in my opinion.

As a Netflix box in a family/kids' room the Wii is actually quite good. It lacks HD but the interface is pretty nice and easy to use. I get that all those other options exist, but for a family with young kids the Wii can be a nice fit. You have to remember that for some the Wii is tucked in a den somewhere and the less flipping between TV inputs and wires and boxes the better - if they can plug a box in and every one in the house can easily use it without help and it can watch TV and play games, it's good enough for them.

The flip side of this is who is out there that doesn't have a Wii already that wants one?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Yeah I understand the point you're trying to make but I think your numbers and how much money they pull in from it are kinda... skewed.

Rorus at least had the best situation posed - if the Wii Mini outsells the Wii U, Nintendo is going to have some big decisions to make in 2014. I'd rather wait to see the results of all this before I apply any "good job Nintendo!" or "bad move Nintendo" to it. I can't decide if the gesture to begin with has actual positive potential or not.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I did a search, and there's zilch out there on the Wii Mini's manufacturing cost, other than Nintendo saying online got cut out due to the price.

In a vacuum, the concept behind the Wii Mini isn't horrible. Most of the people who would wait until the Wii dropped to $99 to buy it aren't going to care about online. They just want to stick games in it and play.

The bigger problem is that Nintendo's introducing a fairly high-profile new SKU that could take sales away from the struggling Wii U. And $99 is just going to make the Wii U look even more expensive by comparison.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

As a Netflix box in a family/kids' room the Wii is actually quite good. It lacks HD but the interface is pretty nice and easy to use. I get that all those other options exist, but for a family with young kids the Wii can be a nice fit. You have to remember that for some the Wii is tucked in a den somewhere and the less flipping between TV inputs and wires and boxes the better - if they can plug a box in and every one in the house can easily use it without help and it can watch TV and play games, it's good enough for them.

The flip side of this is who is out there that doesn't have a Wii already that wants one?

I think there's a certain segment of customers that buy things at impulse-price levels, and those customers will see the $99 price tag on the Wii Mini, see that it comes with a game, and will be more than happy to bring it home.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Hey, you're all looking at this the wrong way.

Nintendo probably stripped the connectivity out of the MiniWii because of how embarrassing their online services on the Wii are.

And yeah, you can argue that "stripping down to the core functionality" creates a cheap, focused product, but you know what? Having a small device that can play Wii games AND stream media from all the major vendors for $100 would be a huge value to the very market that made the Wii successful in the first place!

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They just have to keep making the Wii smaller and smaller and they'll be fine.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's not like people buying a Wii Mini were going to buy a Wii U up until they saw the Wii Mini.

Being outsold by a predecessor is still not going do any favors for the Wii U's public image.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »
    Hey, you're all looking at this the wrong way.

Nintendo probably stripped the connectivity out of the MiniWii because of how embarrassing their online services on the Wii are.

And yeah, you can argue that "stripping down to the core functionality" creates a cheap, focused product, but you know what? Having a small device that can play Wii games AND stream media from all the major vendors for $100 would be a huge value to the very market that made the Wii successful in the first place!

You mean the market that already owns the Wii? :P

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

Were they US only?

The 64 DD wasn't exactly a huge hit either. Seems like Nintendo only figured out the whole hardware revision thingy with the GBA.

Both products were released at the very end of each console's lifecycle. So, I don't know if I'd say unsuccessful as much as just sort of unnecessary.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    That thing has been on sale in Canada for a while now.

I'm telling you guys, they had a bunch of them made for the Canadian market that didn't sell and now they're clearing warehouse space by expanding where they are sold and hoping all the grandmas in the US looking to buy Christmas presents will do the heavy lifting.

Yes, the timing is awful, but a warehouse manager doesn't give a shit about that.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's not like people buying a Wii Mini were going to buy a Wii U up until they saw the Wii Mini.

Being outsold by a predecessor is still not going do any favors for the Wii U's public image.

Quite true. I remember the PS3 being sold by the GBA of all things for quite a while.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular

The PS3 and 360 were both outsold by the PS2 for quite a while.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    My fear is Nintendo is gambling to have people compare the Wii Mini, which is missing a bunch of features of the Wii btw, to the Wii U.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Here's Nintendo's official news release for the Wii Mini.

Their excuse for clearing out Canadian warehouses sales pitch for the mini console:
    Wii mini is for those who don’t own a Wii console and want to enjoy a ton of great Wii games on a stylish system at an affordable price. It is also for families who want an additional console in another room, allowing siblings and friends to play while the rest of the family enjoys other entertainment and games on the main living room TV screen. While Wii mini is not compatible with the Internet and will not allow online functionality when playing games, select multiplayer games can still be played locally with friends and families, which is the ideal way to enjoy such entertaining games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii.

It's interesting that they are including a Wii Remote Plus as standard. They maybe should have bundled in a motion plus game like Wii Sports Resort instead of Mario Kart. That's a game the truly espouses their "just want a cheap box that plays video games in another room for the kids" mentality, without the kids wondering why there's an online mode they can't use.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Oh geez, they updated their website's comparison chart to include the Mini.

Wii Mini? Look how shitty that is, please by a Wii U!

• Options
    edited November 2013
    My fear is Nintendo is gambling to have people compare the Wii Mini, which is missing a bunch of features of the Wii btw, to the Wii U.

Nintendo already has a similar chart on their website and on kiosks in stores:

Wii_WiiU_ComparisonChart_Large.jpg

It appears that the Wii Mini would only have the "Plays Wii games" and "Uses Wii Controllers and Accessories" sections dotted off.
    Here's Nintendo's official news release for the Wii Mini.

Their excuse for clearing out Canadian warehouses sales pitch for the mini console:
    Wii mini is for those who don’t own a Wii console and want to enjoy a ton of great Wii games on a stylish system at an affordable price. It is also for families who want an additional console in another room, allowing siblings and friends to play while the rest of the family enjoys other entertainment and games on the main living room TV screen. While Wii mini is not compatible with the Internet and will not allow online functionality when playing games, select multiplayer games can still be played locally with friends and families, which is the ideal way to enjoy such entertaining games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii.

It's interesting that they are including a Wii Remote Plus as standard. They maybe should have bundled in a motion plus game like Wii Sports Resort instead of Mario Kart. That's a game the truly espouses their "just want a cheap box that plays video games in another room for the kids" mentality, without the kids wondering why there's an online mode they can't use.

They don't even produce non-Wii Remote Plus remotes anymore, so there wasn't really much of a choice there.

Besides, if the customer decided to upgrade to the Wii U in the future they can carry over their Wii Remote Plus without issue.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013

How long is "quite a while", and at what rates? Genuine questions. The couple random old news articles I found had the PS2 and PS3 neck and neck when the PS2 was ahead, and both pushing around 20k per week. We're approaching a year of Wii U being on the market now, and sales have been cool for it the majority of that time. It's hard to draw much of anything from previous situations here.

Edit: these were Media Create numbers that I found, if it was a regional thing that you're referring to.

bss on
    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Edit Edit - Tweet deleted. :(

On that note, is the "PocketStation" real? I should Google it, but in case someone beats me to it feel free to post.

Edit - Oh it's a real thing but old.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    bss wrote: »

How long is "quite a while", and at what rates? Genuine questions. The couple random old news articles I found had the PS2 and PS3 neck and neck when the PS2 was ahead, and both pushing around 20k per week. We're approaching a year of Wii U being on the market now, and sales have been cool for it the majority of that time. It's hard to draw much of anything from previous situations here.

Edit: these were Media Create numbers that I found, if it was a regional thing that you're referring to.

Its not so much in the major markets as it is in other countries. Look at FIFA 14, it came out on PS2, but only in Europe and Latin America.

• Options

On that note, is the "PocketStation" real? I should Google it, but in case someone beats me to it feel free to post.

Edit - Oh it's a real thing but old.

It was basically Sony's response to the Dreamcast's VMU. It was introduced late into the life of the Playstation and never was released outside of Japan, to my knowledge.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    I seem to remember a couple of PSOne instruction manuals for U.S. games talked about PocketStation functionality that never arrived.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    For a game released the last week in October, we won't see or hear about sales until sometime in December right? I'm curious about Rocksmith 2014. It is a fantastic game, and the first one sold well, but I wonder how many people know about it and are willing to jump in a second time. I really liked the first one and only found out about the sequel 3 weeks before it came out. And it really is an amazing product and a bargain for a guitar player.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular

Were they US only?

I'd say they were marginally successful--they were just redesigns to try to cut costs. The SNES had already been out for a few years when the Toploader NES came out. Same with the redesigned SNES--the N64 had been out for a while. The N64 got a sort-of redesign, too, with the Pickachu N64 (I can't find a pic, but google it).

The GBA--> redesign had a different purpose. The GBA wasn't being replaced, it was just evolving. Same with the DS-->DS lite design. The redesigns served different functions.

The 64DD was an add on, not a redesign, and it was a total failure, with only 9 games released.

Anyway, I do feel Nintendo missed the boat--they should have kept internet in the Wii Mini for Netflix access, if nothing else.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

Yeah, and remember how much respect the PS3 had right around launch.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    bss wrote: »

I don't think I have the charts laying around anymore but it wasn't really close. It was quite a while before the cumulative sales of either caught up with the PS2. People have basically forgotten that the 360 wasn't exactly selling like crazy until Sony was nice enough to price the PS3 at crazy levels and people stopped waiting for the PS3 to come out at $300.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Pretty much the only notable game I can remember for the Pocketstation was Chocobo World, a companion game for Final Fantasy 8 that allowed you to train up a Chocobo fighting in randomly generated maps and collecting items to send back to the main game. It also got released standalone to PC (as a companion app for the PC version of the game) and was kind of fun.

This discussion has been closed.