As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Comics News] IV: The Voyage Home

19495969798100»

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    I just din't get all this controversy. Guy is horrible at hiting on women and acts like a jerk.

Welcome to life. I dunno I think I'm comic drama saturated.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    How is it not controversial? The accusations are of him preying on a young female creator, offering the possibility of career advancement (with a pregnant wife, no less). "Horrible at hitting on women" is putting it very mildly.

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Guy tries to leverage his position in to sexual encounters with young women trying to break in to an industry.

Is labelled horrible at hitting on women.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I will never not love that video

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    For the last couple weeks I’ve been accused of a lot of very serious things. I feel I have to speak up for myself and for my friends and colleagues who are finding themselves under a sort of scrutiny they don’t deserve. This situation has reached the point where it is affecting people who in no way deserve it, up to and including my family.
    Tess Fowler is correct about this: I did make a pass at her at SDCC Hyatt bar roughly 8 years ago. But when she declined, that was the conclusion of the matter for me. There was never a promise of quid pro quo, no exertion of power, no threats, and no revenge. This was at a time in my career when I had very little professional power or industry recognition. The pickup was a lame move, absolutely, and I’ll accept the heat for having done it, but that’s all it was: I liked her, I took a chance, and was shot down. I immediately regretted it, and I apologize to Ms. Fowler for the tackiness and embarrassment of it all.

I’ve kept quiet for these last couple weeks because this is a problematic thing to address without unintended blowback. While I believe she is as incorrect as she can be about what my intent and motivations were, I don’t want to encourage any negative opinion directed back at her.

I think the larger issues of abuse in the comics industry are genuine and I share everyone's concerns. As a father to a young daughter showing an interest in making her own comics, I do really care about this stuff. So I don’t want our difference of accounts to take attention away from that industry-wide discussion that needs to happen.

Brian Wood

11/15/2013

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    i don't know if he's telling the truth or not, but either way that is a very good response

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    i don't know if he's telling the truth or not, but either way that is a very good response

I notice he left out Tess' accusation that he's done this before.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

It seems...quite tailored to nullify the accusation. I guess I'd say ultimately the goal is damage control, while waiting for somebody else in the industry to get caught doing something stupid or offensive that will draw this unpleasant attention away.

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    http://tessfowler.tumblr.com/post/67091692836/my-response
    Brian Wood has every right to be a part of comics. To make books and make a living unhindered. I believe that. I also believe his behavior is a symptom of a much bigger disease. A disease of silence, where you go along to get along. And you never say anything about your experiences because the harm to yourself and perhaps to others will be monumental. That’s not okay. And it has to change.

Avraham on
    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I don't see why this is being identified as a comics problem. Wood didn't make the sort of quid pro quo offer that would constitute an abuse of power as a comics professional, and so I don't see how his behavior differs from the general creepiness that men often show towards women.

Now if he misbehaved in a professional capacity, like by offering jobs for sex or sexually harassing coworkers, that would be different and a sign of problems within the industry rather than with an individual.

However, when that comicsbeat article about the comics professional who's supposedly had charges filed against him comes out, that might change things.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I just wish this were something more immediate, rather than an incident from eight years ago

some people are talking about boycotting Brian Wood's books and it seems weird to me to do that

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    What is Wood working on other than X-men right now?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    well he just finished Mara I think

other than that I don't know

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    I don't see why this is being identified as a comics problem. Wood didn't make the sort of quid pro quo offer that would constitute an abuse of power as a comics professional, and so I don't see how his behavior differs from the general creepiness that men often show towards women.

Now if he misbehaved in a professional capacity, like by offering jobs for sex or sexually harassing coworkers, that would be different and a sign of problems within the industry rather than with an individual.

However, when that comicsbeat article about the comics professional who's supposedly had charges filed against him comes out, that might change things.

The quid pro quo didn't have to be made explicit for that power imbalance to be present. Even if he wasn't literally and in the most vulgar way putting the job offer in his pants, at the very least he was trying to exploit her inexperience and her respect for him and her deference towards him. She didn't reject him more forcefully, and she didn't speak about it publicly for years, because he was an older more established man in the industry and she was worried about burning bridges.

Also the fact that his behavior is identical to the unremarkable, run of the mill "general creepiness" that goes on everywhere is kinda the whole point, that's exactly the problem. Name any other industry or community and they are probably having this same conversation.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Was Brian Wood an "established man in the industry" who could be credibly carrying job offers in his pants, so to speak, eight years ago?

Whatever, never liked DMZ anyway.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Was Brian Wood an "established man in the industry" who could be credibly carrying job offers in his pants, so to speak, eight years ago?

Whatever, never liked DMZ anyway.

Wood wasn't A list, but he had some pull at Marvel and the indy scene. That's all the power he needed.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Nope, nevermind.

Robos A Go Go on
This discussion has been closed.